iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@aigis: Mass Effect 3 i think. There was something recent i think i tried, but i cant remember it.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

Lead zelda guy in the new zelda said he thinks the gamepad hurts the immersion with the player and the game ... Having to look down while playing breaks gameplay and that is a huge knock for a controller

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#103 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@snapcracklenpop: I can agree with that

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 iandizion713

@snapcracklenpop: That would be for them and how they were implementing it. For instance the Gamepad is highly immersive with Splatoon. Its all about how you use it. But yeah, trying to use two screens at once would hurt immersion.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#105 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

I wouldn't call it the best, but I never had any discomfort or issues using it

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Collie_Lover

I don't have to make the Wii U gamepad look bad, it speaks for itself.

-it has off screen play (While a kinda neat feature the range is kinda limited.)

-gyro controls (Ewww)

-touch screen (Not even multi-touch like found in most tablets.)

-Netflix in 1080p at 32w (What does this have to do with the Gamepad?)

-dual screen coop (Feel bad for the person who is stuck with the Wii U screen for Coop.)

- 3-way mics (What's the use of mics when so many games don't even have voice chat?)

- 2-way camera (Doesn't have anything to do with gameplay.)

-NFC reader (DLC Gimmick)

-Remote play (What remote play?)

-TV control (What a game changer, not.)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By aigis

@iandizion713 said:

@snapcracklenpop: That would be for them and how they were implementing it. For instance the Gamepad is highly immersive with Splatoon. Its all about how you use it. But yeah, trying to use two screens at once would hurt immersion.

There is nothing immersive about two screens, having to crank your neck to look a completely different screen breaks immersion. And theres nothing immersive about Splatoon having two screens when the only time I ever check the map is when im dead and am waiting to respawn, adding nothing of value to the experience...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#108 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Collie_Lover: Unlike others my hands aren't baby hands. The muscles in them have 43+ years of use and strengthening so my hands never once cramped up from using the WiiU gamepad. It was surprisingly comfortable for being a tablet. But the fact that it was a tablet and the tablet was so rarely used in any meaningful way was a major fail imo. Plus I had to plug it in quite often because of it being a tablet.

In the end, it certainly didn't hurt or cramp my hands but I'll take the PS4 and X1 controllers over it.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

connection is the worst of any wireless device i'd ever used

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

X1 elite, nuff said. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Not for me. Feels like you're trying to control the game using an etch-a-sketch!

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Off screen play never gets enough praise.

It feels great to just plug the console in some random place and play on the gamepad. No need for TV, extra cables, IR bar, etc...

In fact, I have my Wii U in my office set up pretty much like this for quick Mario Maker sessions.

bonus pic

It might have been a financial mystake. But I'd be lying if I said I didnt love the damn Gamepad.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Nintendo's interfaces have been questionable for awhile, usually forgiven by the fact that their core franchises usually have tight controls (usually with something that compensates for the stupid controller), but this gen their stuff was extra unimpressive. Gimmick wise the control pad was useless all around, and the pro controller is a shittier version of what the Dual Shock and Xbox controllers are.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

No, not really.

the quality of the screen is laughable, the touch technology that it uses is archaic,

The quality of the screen is perfectly fine for the price. You are buying a system AND a controller with a screen. Expecting ipad like displays is dumb.

The touch technology it uses is archaic?

No.

Resistive screens are not archaic. Smartphones just made them unpopular. You get higher degrees of accuracy with resistive touch screens and avoid unintended touch inputs easier. A good showcase for accuracy would be to take two minutes to see what people can do in Art Academy with a cheap plastic stylus.

I draw. I can tell you its much easier to do it on the Gamepad than it is on my ipad. Shit, its more intuitive than my Bamboo Wacom tablet.

it is poorly and shoddily constructed

The best controller this generation is the Xbox One Elite, followed by the Wii U Pro, followed by the Xbox One Controller and the DualShock 4, which both tie for third place. The Gamepad is dead last.

How is it shoddily cosntructed? You placed the Wii U Pro in second.... and the Gamepad is built with the exact same materials.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis said:
@iandizion713 said:

There is nothing immersive about two screens, having to crank your neck to look a completely different screen breaks immersion. And theres nothing immersive about Splatoon having two screens when the only time I ever check the map is when im dead and am waiting to respawn, adding nothing of value to the experience...

Your avatar is a 2 screen using game. And its very good at it. Again, its all about how you implement it. For Splatoon i was talking about using the Gamepad for Gyro makes it immersive.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@Legend002 said:

connection is the worst of any wireless device i'd ever used

In addition to the fatigue aspect of this pad, the poor connection and range is really what does it in. When Nintendo first started talking about this peripheral I thought the potential of using it in another room was fantastic but then I saw how more than a few feet away would lead to a lack in connection. Hell, there are times when the pad is in front of the console and it still won't connect. Again, this was Nintendo trying to re-invent the wheel and it blew up in their face and rightfully so.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By iandizion713

@Solaryellow: The Gampad has a range of 25feet. They couldnt use Blutooth cause blutooth sucks and would lag the stream. Nintendo always ahead of the times.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Solaryellow

Twenty five feet where? On the moon?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@Collie_Lover: I hope so too i have a huge back catalogue thanks to never owning a Wii U, I just hope eshop purchases will transfer over to NX, I'm getting one either at the end of 2017 or in 2018

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Legend002

Connection seems like 3 feet max and that's IF the pad is facing directly at the console.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By iandizion713

@Legend002: Thats an unsafe playing distance. Nintendo recommends playing in the 8-10ft+ range from your TV display.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Legend002

@iandizion713: It doesn't work that well from that distance consistently.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By iandizion713

@Legend002: You need to get yours checked out then, it might be broken. Something is interfering with its transmission. I can play mine through a cement wall on the opposite side of the TV, its pretty cool. Reduces my distance by a lot, but still works.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Legend002

@iandizion713: Seems like a common issue. Everyone I know have the same problem but with NX out soon I won't even bothering checking what's up.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

Um, yeah. No.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Collie_Lover said:

More like you avoided 99% of the games that involve Gamepad features.

Don't make shit up, it makes you look special.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#127 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@aigis said:
@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Heck yeah, Gamepad has everything.

What game even uses it? Im trying to think, but all I can think of is captain toad and I remember not liking it in that...

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-u-gamepad-microphone-use/3015-7836/

-Super Smash Bros

-Mario Kart 8

-Super Mario 3D World

-Dues Ex: Human revolution Director's Cut

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

-Wii Karaoke U by Joysound

-Ninja Gaiden 3 razor's Edge

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

-Trine 2

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Solaryellow

@iandizion713 said:

@Legend002: You need to get yours checked out then, it might be broken. Something is interfering with its transmission. I can play mine through a cement wall on the opposite side of the TV, its pretty cool. Reduces my distance by a lot, but still works.

Take a video of you playing with a cement wall in between the console and the pad. I'd love to see it. I really would.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 aigis

@iandizion713 said:
@aigis said:
@iandizion713 said:

Your avatar is a 2 screen using game. And its very good at it. Again, its all about how you implement it. For Splatoon i was talking about using the Gamepad for Gyro makes it immersive.

Ya but the screens are together so you just move your eyes not your neck and they never really have a moment when you need to be looking at both screens simultaneously like splatoon. Also gyro controls are bad and dont add any more immersion than a analog stick does

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 aigis

@Collie_Lover said:
@aigis said:
@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Heck yeah, Gamepad has everything.

What game even uses it? Im trying to think, but all I can think of is captain toad and I remember not liking it in that...

-Super Smash Bros

-Mario Kart 8

-Super Mario 3D World

-Dues Ex: Human revolution Director's Cut

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

-Wii Karaoke U by Joysound

-Ninja Gaiden 3 razor's Edge

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

-Trine 2

So it was pretty much not used? I can say with confidence that I never used it once for SSB or MK8

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#131 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

I can't knock it till I tried it. I haven't tried it so I cannot confirm or deny. It doesn't look very ergonomic though.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#132 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@snapcracklenpop said:

Lead zelda guy in the new zelda said he thinks the gamepad hurts the immersion with the player and the game ... Having to look down while playing breaks gameplay and that is a huge knock for a controller

I know. Its his opinion and that's alright.

@emgesp said:
@Collie_Lover

I don't have to make the Wii U gamepad look bad, it speaks for itself.

-it has off screen play (While a kinda neat feature the range is kinda limited.)

-gyro controls (Ewww)

-touch screen (Not even multi-touch like found in most tablets.)

-Netflix in 1080p at 32w (What does this have to do with the Gamepad?)

-dual screen coop (Feel bad for the person who is stuck with the Wii U screen for Coop.)

- 3-way mics (What's the use of mics when so many games don't even have voice chat?)

- 2-way camera (Doesn't have anything to do with gameplay.)

-NFC reader (DLC Gimmick)

-Remote play (What remote play?)

-TV control (What a game changer, not.)

-Off Screen Play: It seems people have varying degrees of range on a case-by-case basis. Mine works best within 12 feet of the console which is fine. I didn't get the Wii U to use it like a 3DS anyway. But that would be cool if it could be used that way.

-Gyro Controls: I just beat New Super Mario Bros U and there were some levels in the game that you needed the gyro controls to tilt a platform you were riding on while also directing your Mario to dodge things or pick them up and throw them. It is hard to think about how you would do this without gyro controls, but it was neat the way it was implemented in the game. Lol, Watching the video gives me flashbacks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af69SXqp1nQ

Loading Video...

-Touch Screen: You don't need to pinch or expand your fingers to zoom. You just use buttons or thumb sticks. The single touch uses like in Splatoon or Kirby with the stylus are used effectively for those respective games. I have an android tablet and I am not sure why multi-touch would usefule except that the tablet doesn't have physical buttons and you would need multi touch to do normal activities that you can do with physical buttons like on the Wii U Gamepad. That is to say that the touch screen is intended or serves as a complement to physical buttons, but not a replacement. That should be welcomed by console gamers, and not be seen as a true limitation.

-The Gamepad allows you to watch Netflix movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56vvBmOhpNE

-Dual Screen Coop: Star Fox Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxaofGDv964

Loading Video...

- 3-way mics

- 2-way camera

Games that use it:

Wii Fit U

Nintendoland

Tank! Tank!, Tank!

Zombi U

Nano Assault Neo

-NFC Reader: Amiibo, Yay!

-Remote Play (repeat of off TV play)

-TV Control (a convenience feature does not need to be a game changer to be worthwhile)