Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

My first video game console was the Atari 2600. It was a great console for its time with a joystick controller with a single large orange button that made gaming simple and fun. Consoles and controllers have come a long way since then thanks to Nintendo. All of the consoles and controllers are fantastic, but the Wii U Gamepad, while not perfect and not appreciated by the masses, is the best controller this gen. Really sad if you have no intention to try it out. It may be your last chance to game like this when the Wii U is discontinued. Come at me.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

I disagree. It feels ackward in my hands. It's not really a relaxed hand positioning in my opinion. I prefer the wii u Pro controller, X1 controller, and PS4 controller to the gamepad. This is just my opinion though, if you prefer the gamepad, that's awesome.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Oh it's the best...for causing cramping in hands.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I agree, its easily the best imo. It can do bout anything.

• Off-screen play
  • Gyro
  • Touchscreen
  • Netflix in 1080p at 32w
  • Dual screen coop
  • 3-way Mics
  • 2-way Camera
  • NFC Reader
  • Remote-play
  • Control TV

It totally innovated the way we play games solo and together.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

It's so great that no one wants it and Nintendo is ditching it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iandizion713

@flyincloud1116: The best is not always the most popular, just ask Justin Bieber.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

It definitely has some cool features for sure... if only Nintendo (and others) used it better.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17836 Posts

in terms of using it as a normal controller i found it to be fine...no issues. used it for epic 5 hour xenoblade X sessions with no issues. it was also grand for the likes of bayonetta 2. i mean its a pretty standard controller.

the integration of the controller into the wiiu was also excellent. it was like the game was being run on the controller itself...nintendo did a top notch job with the streaming tech. for any game that needed or could make use fo 2 screens the wiiu was ace.

or it would have been......if any games on the wiiu had a good use for it. the best i have seen is the inventory in zombiu. having to look away from the TV adds to the tension. ubisoft turned a problem into a strength...good on em :P. but no games to justify it killed the wiiu.

other than that it was all for nothing really which is a shame.

Edit: in terms of controllers this gen i have to give the nod to the steam controller (not technically a console controller i know). a seriously cool bit of kit. the software side of it is getting better now...no need to enter BPM to configure the controller anymore. progress.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56206 Posts

Despite what people may think about the Gamepad, I never had an issue with it, I just adapt to it when I pick up my Wii U 2 years ago. It's okay, and it's something that both PS4/Xbox One doesn't have but to me, the best controller for this gen is (and my opinion) DS4. Overall Gamepad is okay in my books.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I like mine. Replaced the shitty standard battery and now it lasts longer than my DS4 controller. Only negative is: it's too heavy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

As a controller it's good, not the best. But all the extras makes it special. It's the best to play open world games. Having the map and inventory on the 2nd screen makes it perfect for that specific type of game.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's alright. I enjoyed playing 3D World on it.

The Wii U Pro controller is better.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iandizion713

@Seabas989: If Wii U Pro controller had Gyro, i think i would have enjoyed it much more, otherwise its an awesome controller and i hope they use it for NX.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

It's good, but I prefer the Pro controller. Dat 80 hour battery life. Completely bonkers.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I agree, but only because you can play most games right on the screen. I once took the WiiU on a bus trip before I sold it because all you needed was power outlets and you were good.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

I disagree. It feels ackward in my hands. It's not really a relaxed hand positioning in my opinion. I prefer the wii u Pro controller, X1 controller, and PS4 controller to the gamepad. This is just my opinion though, if you prefer the gamepad, that's awesome.

Wii U Pro Controller does feel good too. When I use one controller type for awhile it takes a little adjustment time to switch to something else, but I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable. You are being reasonable I suppose since comfort is different from person to person.

@Solaryellow said:

Lets not be overly dramatic.

@iandizion713 said:

I agree, its easily the best imo. It can do bout anything.

• Off-screen play
  • Gyro
  • Touchscreen
  • Netflix in 1080p at 32w
  • Dual screen coop
  • 3-way Mics
  • 2-way Camera
  • NFC Reader
  • Remote-play
  • Control TV

It totally innovated the way we play games solo and together.

Exactly.

@flyincloud1116 said:

It's so great that no one wants it and Nintendo is ditching it.

13 million people who tried it are hardly no ones. Did you try it? The Wii U will have had a 4 year lifespan when its successor emerges. How long is the lifespan of your console of choice going to be before its successor comes?

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It definitely has some cool features for sure... if only Nintendo (and others) used it better.

All of the Gamepad's features have been used to some extent across a variety of games. Every game need not have used every feature, and every feature need not have been used excessively to justify its existence. Other controllers lacking a feature of the Wii U Gamepad missed opportunities for a more complete or immersive gaming experience. There are probably too many examples to list of standard controllers not being used to their potential either. But you seem like a fairly reasonable person so I respect your opinion.

@osan0 said:

in terms of using it as a normal controller i found it to be fine...no issues. used it for epic 5 hour xenoblade X sessions with no issues. it was also grand for the likes of bayonetta 2. i mean its a pretty standard controller.

the integration of the controller into the wiiu was also excellent. it was like the game was being run on the controller itself...nintendo did a top notch job with the streaming tech. for any game that needed or could make use fo 2 screens the wiiu was ace.

or it would have been......if any games on the wiiu had a good use for it. the best i have seen is the inventory in zombiu. having to look away from the TV adds to the tension. ubisoft turned a problem into a strength...good on em :P. but no games to justify it killed the wiiu.

other than that it was all for nothing really which is a shame.

Edit: in terms of controllers this gen i have to give the nod to the steam controller (not technically a console controller i know). a seriously cool bit of kit. the software side of it is getting better now...no need to enter BPM to configure the controller anymore. progress.

Your a somewhat reasonable person to acknoweldge some good points about the Wii U Gamepad. I have Zombi U, but have not played it yet. I want to play when the little one is asleep or pre-occupied. There are probably too many examples to list of games not using standard controllers to their potential. It is no big deal if dual screen gaming does not work for every game. But there are numerous examples of the second screen being useful: Art Academy, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Rapala Pro Bass Fishing 2012, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Zombie U among others. Art Academy, Miiverse , and off TV play alone justify the existence of the second screen.

@davillain- said:

Despite what people may think about the Gamepad, I never had an issue with it, I just adapt to it when I pick up my Wii U 2 years ago. It's okay, and it's something that both PS4/Xbox One doesn't have but to me, the best controller for this gen is (and my opinion) DS4. Overall Gamepad is okay in my books.

You are being reasonable here so I am not going to quibble with you. You have other game systems and you admit that the Wii U Gamepad is ok even though you prefer the DS4.

@Bigboi500 said:

I like mine. Replaced the shitty standard battery and now it lasts longer than my DS4 controller. Only negative is: it's too heavy.

I have had to plug my Gamepad in on a couple of play sessions when the battery life was low. A weaker battery was probably included to keep the cost down. I might invest it a stronger battery at some point to. Yes the Gamepad is heavy compared to standard controllers, but also sturdy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69703 Posts

The WiiU controller is a controller that I prefer to never use again.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Loading Video...

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

It's attitudes like this that make me very pessimistic about the NX.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

wouldn't call it best controller, but I love playing on it, especially when doing remote play w/o a TV

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

@Basinboy said:

It's attitudes like this that make me very pessimistic about the NX.

Why didnt you like it? Gimmick stuff? Too big? Its just a controller.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

I've never held the WiiU controller, but the XBox One controller makes my hands cramp after a few hours. It's far too small, especially the part that my hands grip. It makes my ring and pinky fingers hurt. I miss the original XBox controller...

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Wii U Gamepad is more comfortable than I ever thought it was going to be. I was on the skeptical side until I gave it a shot at one of the demo kiosks in Gamestop. It has a lot of great features and the touch screen functions are superb when used right. I wish the system got all the big 3rd party games this gen, because they could have benefited from the controller.

It's not the best controller I have used this gen. That goes to the Wii U Pro for me. It feels better in my hands and the battery life is amazing. Plus, I can use it with my PC and Nvidia Shield.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Wii U had the best gamepad by far IMO. When people say they don't like it, it most likely means they are not used to big size of it, seeing they used normal controllers for the last several decades. But once you get used to the Wii U gamepad, its hard to go back to small controllers :P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

As far as controllers go, its my favorite. It finally adapted the standard controls for 3rd party games, plus it has neat extra features. I love using the gyroscopic aiming for Splatoon. It gives you much better accuracy than the right analog stick. As far as I'm concerned, it is only second to KB/M and even that could be worked with. I hope that moving forward Nintendo brings the gyroscopic aiming to NX. I think its the best thing that came out of Gen 8 hardware innovations.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#26 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Nope, the Gamepad and Pro controller are both inadequate in both ways. I'd take the One's or DS4 over either any day.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iandizion713

@Blabadon: Small hands? I always wonder how people play on DS4. Seems so small.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

@Blabadon: Small hands? I always wonder how people play on DS4. Seems so small.

Aren't you a fan of the Gamecube controller? Which size wise is about as big as the older Dualshock design? Which has less bulk than the DS4?

-

Anyways, the WiiU gamepad is cool in that it has potential for so much functionality... but at the end of the day those functions are rarely used in any meaningful way. And a lot of it comes at the expense of ergonomics.

It's not a bad controller, but there are plenty of controllers I'd rather use.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: When i had smaller hands i enjoyed it i guess. Now that im an adult, i like the Pro Controller and Gamepad more. Id adapt to that beast though, nothing stops me from enjoying my game, ill rock that DS4 like no tomorrow.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: When i had smaller hands i enjoyed it i guess. Now that im an adult, i like the Pro Controller and Gamepad more. Id adapt to that beast though, nothing stops me from enjoying my game, ill rock that DS4 like no tomorrow.

I mean, I hear ya, but... it still makes no sense lol.

DS4 dimensions - 7.4 x 6.7 x 2.6 inches

WiiU Pro dimensions - 6.8 x 6.5 x 3.2 inches

Everyone has preference, you like what you like, but the "small hands" claim doesn't hold water.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, it was a guess, kinda like a question. Thats why at the end i put, seems small. When i saw and used my brothers it felt kinda small. The tumb sticks etc was smaller then im use to. But i still have little experience with it. It also felt very cheap, like light plastic. Made me scared to drop it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713:

Could be the thumbstick placement, or the fact that the WiiU Pro controller weighs a bit more.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: It might be how they are placed so close, cause they do appear to be the same size. But yeah, i love the new Pro Controller layout, i dont think i could ever go back.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713:

I've grown so used to the DS stick placement, but I do appreciate the WiiU Pro placement as well. I'm just glad that neither company caved into having offset analog placement.

People say that offset analogs are more ergonomic, but it always just felt weird to me. When it comes down to it I can adapt to any layout. Been gaming for about 30 years so I've experienced my share of terrible designs lol. But offset analogs are just... why?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Thats how i am too, i dont think ive ever found a controller i didnt rock.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Reggie, is that you?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Collie_Lover: I have a WiiU, and I'm one of those 13 million that thinks the controller stinks. 13million in a 4 years is pathetic. Lifespan shortened because of awful sales. Now go play spin the bottle somewhere else sheep.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't know, maybe. Wouldn't count it out honestly. The XBone controller just feels more right to hold and play with, but I've never had any issue using the gamepad as a controller or handheld, and really liked the Off-TV play as well. It also got to act as a holder for maps and inventory screens for certain games which is always welcome.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

The only controller that really annoyed me was the N64 one at times.

My favorite would probably be the x360, followed by the DS4. The WiiU pro controller is also good.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Ps4 wins this battle in my opinion. However the wii u pad is quite comfortable to me. The ps4 controller just feels truly natural in my hands.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#41 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2578 Posts

No, definitely not; but I'm biased towards it since it's the reason the Wii U "failed".

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52441 Posts

It's garbage.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

@iandizion713: My biggest issue with the gamepad is its impracticality - the best Wii U games are better enjoyed with the Pro controller anyway, plus the sonuva b*tch is a mess to replace (mine wore considerably faster than my other controllers, except for DS4 sticks which I replaced with X1 sticks anyway).

Ergonomically it's fine, but the screen is poor and eliminates off-screen gameplay as an appealing option. All the supposed gameplay benefits amounted to little of consequence and not calling Nintendo out on their failings is something they continually manage to avoid.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

The battery life is embarrassing and more annoying than even the DS4. Fail. I'll stick to the pro controller.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iandizion713

@jcrame10: Funny thing is DS4 controller dont have a big screen and its battery still sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@iandizion713:

90 minutes on ps4. It sucks.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Yeah, how about no.

Nintendo themselves didn't really know what to do with it, yet its the best current gen controller?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@iandizion713: it has the light bar. Which is basically the same as the screen on the Gamepad

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's good. I would have liked Xone controller placement of buttons combined with the features of the gamepad.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nah...Wii U Pro Controller...most comfortable is still X360 controller. There is a reason why the Wii U Gamepad is being discontinued & not brought over to Nintendo's new NX system. :P