Wii can now be upscaled to HD.

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

[QUOTE="osan0"]i wonder if they could have gone a step further though and applied AA to the output from the wii before sending it to the telly.Teufelhuhn

Your regular multisample AA is a process that occurs as the triangles are rendered, which means you can't apply it afterwards as a post-process. Certain forms of post-process AA are becoming popular, and have produced good results in games like God of War III. But there's 3 problems with that:

1. You typically don't want it applied to the final image, but instead you'll apply it to the 3D geometry before the HUD elements are drawn on top
2. A lot of times these algorithms use depth or normal information from buffers in video memory...a device like this wouldn't have access to that information.
3. It takes a tremendous amount of processing power do it. Not really practical for a little box that sits in between your console and your TV.

ah...i see the problem.

i keep forgetting AA algorithms need all that info..someitmes i get it into my head that its just a case of AAing the end product. i dont know where i got that idea from mind....weird :S.

is there any other AA type tech for digital cameras or something that could be used though i wonder. maybe if the device upscaled to something really high like 2560X1920 and then shrunk that down to 1080P before sending it out to the telly. or would that even make a differnce?

basically a wii sends out images at 30 or so FPS (sometimes 60)...so i wonder if theres a way to remove jaggies and possibly blurriness from an image (at a rate of 30 a second) before sending it to the telly.

though if thats possible...its probably not possible in a small box :P.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#52 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
For 75 bucks, I'll soldier on with my component cables.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#53 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
like the component cable, it's probably more of a gimmick than anything.
halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

Screenshots of games in action or I don't care.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
like the component cable, it's probably more of a gimmick than anything.paullywog
well actually the component cable does make a big difference over your regular ol composite or s-video cable. but only if you have an HDTV
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#56 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Wow, I need to get this.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Wow, I need to get this.

mitu123

ur better off getting a receiver. This isnt full proof

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Cool... now only if Nintendo jumped on the bandwagon and supported something like this.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#60 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

umm.....no thanx :?

forza420

Plug the USB and the Wii video connector into your Wii, and plug your TV into the upscaler box with an HDMI cable. It couldn't be more simple.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rogelio22

just go to the linked article the tc posted (go to comparisons) and you all will see that there is hardly any difference between the picture wuality cept for 480p looking a bit sharper (with jagged edges) and upscaled 1080p looking blurrier with a less jagged edges! this is a big ripoff so please dont anyone fall into it

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

That's actually a great thing for people with larger HDTVs.

I have an HD TV. I might buy it because Wii games look like crap on it.

Component cables...
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Bread_or_Decide

Component cables...

I have componet cables. They still don't look that good.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rogelio22
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Component cables...

and you can get some for $15! not $75 like this big ripoff is.
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rogelio22
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Component cables...

and neither does this thing! just got to the comparisons page on the link the tc posted
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] Component cables...rogelio22

and neither does this thing! just got to the comparisons page on the link the tc posted

What comparison pages? I havn't seen any Wii games on this? Can you give me exact Link.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rogelio22

dang i cant get it to link! go to http://gear.ign.com/articles/107/1079857p1.html then scroll down and click on the VDIGI.com link then click on screenshots then click one more time on comparisons

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 painguy1

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

It will still be fuzzy because Wii games are deisnged with 480 in mind.

SaltyMeatballs

I don't know how those Wii emulators on PC work, but they look pretty good in high res. Though it's probably different to this.

the emu's are full of graphical bugs, and barely run properly on 97% of computers including the beastly ones.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#69 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

dang i cant get it to link! go to http://gear.ign.com/articles/107/1079857p1.html then scroll down and click on the VDIGI.com link then click on screenshots then click one more time on comparisons

rogelio22

Looks good to me.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Guys I know you don't mean any harm, but I'm gonna have to ask that you don't discuss emulators here.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

rogelio22

Lol, they did their comparison pics on a 22" PC monitor. PC monitors are horrible at upscaling. I can make a few guesses though as to why they didn't use an actual HDTV. ;)

Also their upscaling is brightening the image, which is bad news.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

Native or fail.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Origami_Kill3r"]  Shinobishyguy
Simon Cowell's put some weight on....

damn you ...now I can't un-see it

My work here is done
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

mitu123

Looks good to me.

One thing I noticed was the menus look a lot better. I saw the Wii menu, and it looks better along with the Brawl one. There needs to be moe comparisons and gameplay screens though.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rogelio22

trust me guys if could play tatsunoko vs. capcom in full 1080p i would gladly pay up to $100 for something like this. but this is just not cutting it!

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 painguy1

People are acting like upscaling never existed until now. There are alot better upscalers than this thing. Its called your own TV or a audio/video reciever.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 AmayaPapaya

People are acting like upscaling never existed until now. There are alot better upscalers than this thing. Its called your own TV or a audio/video reciever.

painguy1

I don't think my TV does that. Although, i do not know too much about my TVTBH

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
THANK GOD! Now we can look at its poor visuals in HD!
RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

I feel bad for anyone who buys this - it is 100% snake oil.

This is no more than a poorly performing image scaler, all it is doing it taking the Wii's output and upscaling it.

If you have an HDTV and you play the Wii on it the TV is ALREADY upscaling the Wii's image. An HDTV will automatically scale incoming signals to its native resolution, and most have scalers that outperform this thing I'm sure.

Whatever company makes this is very deceptive...

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

AmayaPapaya

all TVs upscale. If they didnt then u would have a tiny little box in the middle of your TV( that tiny little box would be the wii in 720x480 :P)

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

all TVs upscale. If they didnt then u would have a tiny little box in the middle of your TV( that tiny little box would be the wii in 720x480 :P)

Oh i guess my TV does. TBH though, my Wii looks prtty bad on my TV, even with componet cables. My friend has a normal Standard TV, and the games look noticably better.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

well this sounds rather annoying

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

Oh i guess my TV does. TBH though, my Wii looks prtty bad on my TV, even with componet cables. My friend has a normal Standard TV, and the games look noticably better.

That's because when you feed a signal of poor quality to a larger television of high resolution flaws become exceedingly apparent. Playing the Wii on a small, standard definition television will mask it's flaws.

No amount of upscaling will fix an image that is deeply flawed to begin with. Crap in, crap out... people in the A/V field say.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

honestly is anybody really going to do this? i mean just wait to nex gen

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 rogelio22

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

RuprechtMonkey

That's because when you feed a signal of poor quality to a larger television of high resolution flaws become exceedingly apparent. Playing the Wii on a small, standard definition television will mask it's flaws.

No amount of upscaling will fix an image that is deeply flawed to begin with. Crap in, crap out... people in the A/V field say.

also have you set your wii to 480p on the system settings? the wii wont automatically recognize a component cable. you could still be playing in 480i for all you know???

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

hmm maybe ur TV just has a bad upscaler. What is ur TV model and Brand? My Samsung has an OK upscaler, but i wanted something better so i got a audio/video reciever. Now it looks amazing, no jaggies and artifacts.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

hmm maybe ur TV just has a bad upscaler. What is ur TV model and Brand? My Samsung has an OK upscaler, but i wanted something better so i got a audio/video reciever. Now it looks amazing, no jaggies and artifacts.

It is probably my TV. It is an off brand type TV. Im sorry, Im not a tech person, what are audio and video recievers? How much $$$.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 rogelio22
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

It is probably my TV. It is an off brand type TV. Im sorry, Im not a tech person, what are audio and video recievers? How much $$$.

do you know if your wii is currently playing in 480p or 480i???
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

It depends. Good ones are pretty expensive and i dont think u would want to dish that much money for one. $200-$900. It can go up even higher. Mine cost $500. Do u have 480p checked in on ur wii with component cables?

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

It depends. Good ones are pretty expensive and i dont think u would want to dish that much money for one. $200-$900. It can go up even higher. Mine cost $500. Do u have 480p checked in on ur wii with component cables?

@ Both of you that asked that. Yes I do. I checked through all the menus when I first got them. The difference was there, but for only certain games.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I've seen pictures of people playing Wii games at 720p on the PC, is that considered upscaling ?

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 painguy1

I've seen pictures of people playing Wii games at 720p on the PC, is that considered upscaling ?

GTSaiyanjin2

no they are forcing it too run at that resolution natively, but thats all i can say because we are not allowed to talk about emulators here.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

GTSaiyanjin2
Talking about emulators is against "Terms Of Use" .
xX-Incubus-Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 xX-Incubus-Xx
Member since 2009 • 1120 Posts

I don't think we will be seeing a Wii HD anytime soon. It kinda seems like this is a solutoin to try to get the Wii through till the other 2 companies decide it's time for a new generation. Not to mention Wii's are still selling quite good.

I MIGHT consider this IF there's a noticable difference in picture quality from 480p to 1080p. But I already get a pretty decent picture out of my XBR. The ONLY problem I have with the component cables is every time it switches from gameplay to video it switches resolution for some reason and I miss a portion of the video.

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

I had the wii and my hdtv upscaled it to 720p and it still looked like crap so don't waste your money unless your playing on a monitor. Also who knows how good the upscaler is in this gadget ??

The wii graphics are bad and upscaling it will make the flaws stand out more for example poor or no aa/af.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
Upscaling DVD's really doesn't look that great, and I can't see the Wii being much better. I got my mom a Wii for Christmas, she hooked it up to her 55'' LED TV, and I can't stand looking at it...
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Well Upscaled DVD's look amazing on the PS3, still not bluray quality, but still MUCH MUCH better than regular 480p.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
The Wii look decent on my SONY Bravia HDTV. What helps is getting the right cables, setting it to 480p, and lowering the "sharpness" on the tv. Oh and widescreen.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Has anyone used this adapter?

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Is it not possible to simply buy a device that upscales any component video signal?