Why the Wii is not a plausible choice for serious gamers

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mintshebang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mintshebang
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

First off, a preface:

I have played at least a little bit of all three systems. Each is, in its own way, a really cool device, and I'd buy every one if I had the money. However, I think that the Nintendo Wii has been getting some undue attention in the XB360 and PS3's arena. The wii is nothing like the these two systems. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Why?

Here we go:

Reason #1 - No dual joysticks. In order to play some games, especially shooters, you need to have two joysticks. One for the camera, and one for control. Using the controller's motion sensing to aim is not a substitute, because it's not as accurate.

Reason #2 - Games are about escapism. The whole point of using joystick and buttons controller is to find a portal between the world you live in and the world you want to experience. The Wii's vague approximations of a gun, a tennis racket, a golf club, or a steering wheel, although fun, are a distracting compromise between real world and dream world.

Reason #3 - Nintendo has long been kid game directed. Though this works great for party games and some RPGs, its focus on kid games has led to limited development of FPS's and other more mature games.

Reason #4 - The Wii is seriously underpowered. This issue might not make a difference to sugar-high kids or hip senior citizens, but graphical performance is important in creating complex AI, immersive worlds, etc.

In Conclusion:

The Wii, although it can be a lot of fun, is not a serious gaming machine. The PS3 and XB360 are much better choices in this regard. Parcheesi and Chess are both fun boardgames, but which one is truly strategic in nature?  

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nintendogamer6
Member since 2006 • 1772 Posts

Im a serious gamer and I chose Wii

/thread

FlashMan2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlashMan2006
Member since 2006 • 2923 Posts
You mean Wii is truly not the right sytem for the uber nerd right?
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
Agree completely.
-SR388-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -SR388-
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

First off, a preface:

I have played at least a little bit of all three systems. Each is, in its own way, a really cool device, and I'd buy every one if I had the money. However, I think that the Nintendo Wii has been getting some undue attention in the XB360 and PS3's arena. The wii is nothing like the these two systems. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Why?

Here we go:

Reason #1 - No dual joysticks. In order to play some games, especially shooters, you need to have two joysticks. One for the camera, and one for control. Using the controller's motion sensing to aim is not a substitute, because it's not as accurate.

Reason #2 - Games are about escapism. The whole point of using joystick and buttons controller is to find a portal between the world you live in and the world you want to experience. The Wii's vague approximations of a gun, a tennis racket, a golf club, or a steering wheel, although fun, are a distracting compromise between real world and dream world.

Reason #3 - Nintendo has long been kid game directed. Though this works great for party games and some RPGs, its focus on kid games has led to limited development of FPS's and other more mature games.

Reason #4 - The Wii is seriously underpowered. This issue might not make a difference to sugar-high kids or hip senior citizens, but graphical performance is important in creating complex AI, immersive worlds, etc.

In Conclusion:

The Wii, although it can be a lot of fun, is not a serious gaming machine. The PS3 and XB360 are much better choices in this regard. Parcheesi and Chess are both fun boardgames, but which one is truly strategic in nature?

Mintshebang

oh please who are u to lecture people? get off your high horse.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you're talking about, so I will be sure to ignore all future post from you.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
Why a serious gamer shouldn't care what you said: Games are made for entertainment.
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
Serious gamers? Serious gamers play all consoles.
bullfrogj3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bullfrogj3
Member since 2003 • 896 Posts
If "hardcore" or "true" gamers were the only ones buying games, the game industry would have died a loooonnnnggg time ago. The Wii offers a whole new way to interact with games, something the other consoles do not. A real gamer will tell you GAMEPLAY> Pretty pictures. Graphics are cool, something to show off to your friends, but that's about it.
Beyond that, I don't have to explain to my wife how to play Wii baseball, tennis or bowling. And I can't say the same for Madden or any other sports game on PS3 or 360.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
Why this thread is not a plausible choice for advice: The TC hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
geist117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 geist117
Member since 2006 • 4419 Posts
Another SERIOUS GAMERS thread. These threads are the dog #@&$ on SW's sidewalk.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
*yawn* rehashed arguments that have been done to death
Avatar image for pintabear49blue
pintabear49blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pintabear49blue
Member since 2007 • 4809 Posts
I think that the wiimote needs to be used in more then just minigames. controlling with the wiimote is fine but it is not any better then regular controls . multiplatform games for the wii seem like a downgrade from the 360 or ps3 versions. i want nintendo to use the wii mote in new and exciting ways, not just games that are more of a fun diversion then anything else.
-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts
A serious gamer wouldn't care aslong as there playing games.

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendogamer6

First off, a preface:

Here we go:

Reason #1 - No dual joysticks. In order to play some games, especially shooters, you need to have two joysticks. One for the camera, and one for control. Using the controller's motion sensing to aim is not a substitute, because it's not as accurate. Look at MP3

Reason #2 - Games are about escapism. The whole point of using joystick and buttons controller is to find a portal between the world you live in and the world you want to experience. The Wii's vague approximations of a gun, a tennis racket, a golf club, or a steering wheel, although fun, are a distracting compromise between real world and dream world. Opinion

Reason #3 - Nintendo has long been kid game directed. Though this works great for party games and some RPGs, its focus on kid games has led to limited development of FPS's and other more mature games. If you don't like games like Mario, Starfox, Metroid, Project Hammer, No more heroes, RE:UC, Fire Emblem, Disaster, Battalion Wars, DK, SSBB, SSX, Sadness, Dragon Quest, and many others has no relation to weather you are a serious gamer or not

Reason #4 - The Wii is seriously underpowered. This issue might not make a difference to sugar-high kids or hip senior citizens, but graphical performance is important in creating complex AI, immersive worlds, etc. If the graphics of a game are that important to you, I think your the one who needs a serious gamer check

In Conclusion:

The Wii, although it can be a lot of fun, is not a serious gaming machine. The PS3 and XB360 are much better choices in this regard. Parcheesi and Chess are both fun boardgames, but which one is truly strategic in nature?  lol so much for that argumentMintshebang

kmotomura2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kmotomura2
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

/thread

nintendogamer6

I'm a serious gamer too, and I love the Wii. 

Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
#1- Have you played a shooter on it? Aiming is easy and very accurate once you play for a while. My friends and I were easily scoring head shots in Red Steel multiplayer with the sniper rifle. Call of Duty 3's aiming is very accurate too. #1= failed #2- I don't see how this makes sense? Videogames are meant to let you do things you can't do in real life. Shoot people? Wii does it well (It's coming out with an actual gun peripheal. Vauge approximation? No). Be a tennis pro? Yep. There isn't a way in which you could try to tell me a joypad is anymore immersive. #2=failed #3- Look at their 3rd party support? I see quite a few shooters, RPG's, etc. And "serious" gamers would want to play a variety of games. I could use the argument with your logic that "The 360 isn't for serious gamers cause it's all sports, fps's, and rpg's!" And beat Mario with all 120 Stars, Get all the Gold Medals in SF, etc, and tell me how "kiddy" those games are. #3= failed #4- I love when people act as if just because the 360 and PS3 are out, the Wii is immediatly a TERRIBLE looking gaming machine. Actually PLAY it, and the graphics are fine(You can look at gamespots jaggy pics and claim ownage, but play it in motion) , and will only get better. #4= Failed oh and #5- I'm a serious gamer and my #1 system is a Wii. /crappy argument.
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
Your point number 2 fails completely.

I have wario ware for the wii, and it has one of the best intuitive control scheme ever. If it says that I'm holding a key, then I feel like I'm holding a key, and I can unlock a door by using the same motions I use in real life. I don't need to have a tutorial tell me which buttons to press and how much to move the directional pad. The controller immerses you more then standard ones.
chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chicken008
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts
Huh? Serious gamers like Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc..
Mintshebang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mintshebang
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

Look, I've played the Wii a lot at my friend's house, and I've seen enough games to realize that the Wii is working at on a different level than XB360 and PS3. The graphics are worse, the controller is completely different, and there are few good shooters for the Wii. The PS3 has Resistance, and Metal Gear later, and XB360 has GeOW, Lost Planet, Halo 3 in the fall, but what non-ported FPS does the Wii have?

Furthermore, the controller's motion sensing implementation in games ranges anywhere from useless (Marvel Ultimate Alliance) to Hyperaccurate (Excite Truck), leaving gamers unsure of when to trust it and when not to. Marvel Ultimate Alliance's poor motion implementation already suggests to me that ports to the Wii will not be of the same quality as in the past.

YellowPik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YellowPik
Member since 2004 • 14169 Posts
Honestly, I don't care if it's not for "serious" gamers or not. I just want to play fun games. The Wii lets me do that.
nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendogamer6

Look, I've played the Wii a lot at my friend's house, and I've seen enough games to realize that the Wii is working at on a different level than XB360 and PS3. The graphics are worse, the controller is completely different, and there are few good shooters for the Wii. The PS3 has Resistance, and Metal Gear later, and XB360 has GeOW, Lost Planet, Halo 3 in the fall, but what non-ported FPS does the Wii have?

Furthermore, the controller's motion sensing implementation in games ranges anywhere from useless (Marvel Ultimate Alliance) to Hyperaccurate (Excite Truck), leaving gamers unsure of when to trust it and when not to. Marvel Ultimate Alliance's poor motion implementation already suggests to me that ports to the Wii will not be of the same quality as in the past.

Mintshebang

SO you judge the Wii of Marvel hu?

Yea your a real serious gamer :roll:

Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
FPS's aren't the only genre around bud. Anyway, I wouldn't judge it by playing Marvel. Crappy argument.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
According to the topic creator, artificial intelligence is directly correlated to graphical power. Do you think he has any credibility?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
1) The motion sensing not as accurate as tumbsticks? HAH!
2) I though the act of playing the game was escapism, not the control interface... :|
3) Guess you have not looked at the released and soon-to-be-released game lists yet... :|
4) If I want graphics, I will buy a PC, 360 or PS3... thanks...
pyoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pyoob
Member since 2005 • 443 Posts

According to the topic creator, artificial intelligence is directly correlated to graphical power. Do you think he has any credibility?ZebethOrZebes

hey dude, he's saying that the guts of a machine is closely related to the strength of AI. That's being way too picky on your part, and you know what he meant.

Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Why this thread is not a plausible choice for advice: The TC hasn't a clue what he's talking about.ithilgore2006
Exactly!
nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendogamer6

SHUT UP ALL U SHEEP SAYING THAT WE'RE NOT REAL GAMERS JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!1!1!ONE

You need to understand that you are not a serious gamer. Why? Because you buy Nintendo games. Nintendo games are about sitting down and having fun. Let's take... say.... a game from EPIC. That's a game that will A. Get you wrapped up in competition B. Have you seriously pissed off at other people by the end of the match and C. Have you staring in awe at the magnificence of a player model/game world.

These are things that the Wii will NEVER do. The Wii will provide you with some fun physical activity, and maybe a cute Nintendo game here and there, but never the visceral, pulse-pounding action of a hardcore shooter on the 360/PC/PS3.

pyoob
yes it will
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a SERIOUS GAMER. There are only 2 kinds of gamers, Casuals and Hardcore. To rephrase the question, why is the Wii not liked by the Hardcore gamers? That is the right question, but you'll get mixed answers.
jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

/thread

nintendogamer6

Nice choice.  Wii is awesome.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Why a serious gamer shouldn't care what you said: Games are made for entertainment.t2wave
Bingo.
Hobbies230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hobbies230
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts
A serious gamer? What exactly is a serious gamer? A person that takes game too seriously? A pro? Someone who plays a lot of games? It actually does not matter which it is, because nothing that you have listed means that a serious gamer should not play a Wii.
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

Serious gamers? Serious gamers play all consoles.Kikouken

Agree with you. Different consoles mean different offers. You can't possibly try to rule EVERY system with a single criteria, that is a certain sign of fanboyism.

Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts

These are things that the Wii will NEVER do. The Wii will provide you with some fun physical activity, and maybe a cute Nintendo game here and there, but never the visceral, pulse-pounding action of a hardcore shooter on the 360/PC/PS3.

pyoob

Does it have to be a shooter?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Does it have to be a shooter?Stabby2486

Of course, because the only games that can give you a visceral, pulse-pounding experience are shooters... :roll:
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts

SHUT UP ALL U SHEEP SAYING THAT WE'RE NOT REAL GAMERS JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!1!1!ONE

You need to understand that you are not a serious gamer. Why? Because you buy Nintendo games. Nintendo games are about sitting down and having fun. Let's take... say.... a game from EPIC. That's a game that will A. Get you wrapped up in competition B. Have you seriously pissed off at other people by the end of the match and C. Have you staring in awe at the magnificence of a player model/game world.

pyoob
I think you seriously need to take a chill bill bud, and where did sheep ever say that 360/PS3 owners were not real gamers? I pretty sure it was the TC saying that sheep are not "serious" or "true" gamers. So I think it is you who should sit down and shut up. I've been gaming since I was five, and now I'm 23. Are you seriously going to say I'm not a serious gamer because I chose a wii over a 360/PS3 right now?
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
A serious gamer? What exactly is a serious gamer? A person that takes game too seriously? A pro? Someone who plays a lot of games? It actually does not matter which it is, because nothing that you have listed means that a serious gamer should not play a Wii.Hobbies230
All those question you rise describes the HARDCORE gamer.
JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts

/thread

nintendogamer6
You're a serious NintendoGamer, of course you chose Wii.
pyoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pyoob
Member since 2005 • 443 Posts

Not exactly a shooter, but a high-end racing game, not just Excite Truck. Possibly even a great action RPG like TES: Oblivion or Crackdown (yes I'll call it an RPG because you build skills).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts
well all ur reasons point to gettin a pc, except for dual analog but real hard core ppl do game pc with mouse and keyboard
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I'm a serious gamer,I chose the Wii as my primary and only console,and I will enjoy it.

I really find it annoying when you guys say the Wii is not a console for true gamers........

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#43 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts
This topic sucks. Shooters will be more fun on the Wii. There are more lifelike.
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
Serious gamers? Serious gamers play all consoles.Kikouken
Agree.
nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendogamer6
[QUOTE="nintendogamer6"]

/thread

JayPee89
You're a serious NintendoGamer, of course you chose Wii.

Iv been gaming since I was 4 years old :|
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Those were not very convincing reasons....
Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

First off, a preface:

Here we go:

Reason #1 - No dual joysticks. In order to play some games, especially shooters, you need to have two joysticks. One for the camera, and one for control. Using the controller's motion sensing to aim is not a substitute, because it's not as accurate.

Mintshebang

Yeah but if uve played wii u would notice it is way more accurite and its faster to aim aswell

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Kikouken"]Serious gamers? Serious gamers play all consoles.ELJUDEZ
Agree.

Seconded.
jukieuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 jukieuk
Member since 2006 • 940 Posts
what is a serious gramer? I've got a wii and ps2, playing Zelda on the wii with the wilmote, wonderful and then i love playing tennis plus i have my pre order in for rogue galasy on the ps2 and gow2 so what am i?
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Spartan070
well all ur reasons point to gettin a pc, except for dual analog but real hard core ppl do game pc with mouse and keyboardtmgwarrior72
No, hardcore people game with whatever they can get their hands on...