Why the NGP has a massive advantage over 3DS

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mike_on_mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#101 mike_on_mic
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts
It is interesting to read about the porting side. It might be an interesting combination that with Cloud Saves that Sony are planning on the PS3, so you get the next great game, play it on your PS3, save into the cloud, then continue it on the NGP as you can pull the save from the cloud. Interesting times ahead.
specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts
It is interesting to read about the porting side. It might be an interesting combination that with Cloud Saves that Sony are planning on the PS3, so you get the next great game, play it on your PS3, save into the cloud, then continue it on the NGP as you can pull the save from the cloud. Interesting times ahead.mike_on_mic
QFT. 3DS cannot compete.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="mike_on_mic"]It is interesting to read about the porting side. It might be an interesting combination that with Cloud Saves that Sony are planning on the PS3, so you get the next great game, play it on your PS3, save into the cloud, then continue it on the NGP as you can pull the save from the cloud. Interesting times ahead.specialzed
QFT. 3DS cannot compete.

But the NGP will not compete game wise.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Weren't you the one who made a thread saying that Move and its pitiful library of games was "hardcore"? Also, what the heck is that thing in your avatar?

FoShizzle17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#105 FoShizzle17
Member since 2006 • 2170 Posts

What people fail to realise is what demographic usually pics a nintendo system. Like it or not it is the younger children who wants the DS and or the Wii. I had a friend give me a Wii and i got rid of it. I just couldnt stand the system. It wasn't that good 90 percent of the games are geared towards younger children and because of that Im not interested. I dont care how good mario galaxy is as a game im not into mario galaxy. Mario cart on the other hand well thats fun. But i had that problem with alot of the Wii games I just felt like i was playing a system meant for kids. Its not geared for adults thats obvious by most of the games. The DS was not geared for the older demographic. Those who dont like Wii or DS buy Sony or Microsoft and personally I love my PS3 and wouldn't switch to a Wii if nintendo payed me money to.

savagehulk

This is my opinion too.

The PSP didn't lose in sales because it didn't have enough "portable" games (which is a contradiction, I'll call them pick-up-and-play), it lost because nintendo targeted a larger demographic, ESPECIALLY children.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#106 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well the console war and handheld war are totally different in amny ways,

and let me point somthing out to you about ps2 vs xbox gc,

ps2 was less powerful cheaper for devs by the time xbox gc came , easy win there plus it had dvd player built in

another easy feat

and lets go on to psp vs ds

psp had every advantage except the following

1-battery life

2 price

3 games

ngp has all that above except

price=we know it will be more expensive

batterylife as confirmed by 1up and ign --same as psp which 3ds has up to 8 hours vs the 3-6 hours -on par with ds ! the original ds ,

another disadvantage sony has is giving up the 3 months lead for ds at the start line , ,

now guess what , they have not learned , , because they have given 3ds a 7 month lead this time , , wow and the games for psp 2 that are confirmed are the same games psp 1 had in its life time no change there!

3ds has games of a variety cult classics backwards compatibility with original ds games and ds i ware as well as ability to download classic gb and gbc games since those are harder to find now adays, guess what this will be a retro gamers dream come true just like wii was ,

and let me note somthing to you preorders of the 3ds have out sold the nintendo wiis which was the fastest on record !

add to the fact theres a fanbase of well over 100 million users!

compared to a measly 60 million ,

and lets not forget the following factors are true about the psp 2- it lacks bc with umd titles and the majority of us have umd models and not the download only go , we all know how well that went so those of us are stranded with keeping our psps at bay,

the date and price have yet to be confirmed officailly according to analyst guess and my personal guess it will be 329,99 to 349,99

and the date falls of the hollidays we all know nintendo is better at selling consoles at the holidays then sony or microsoft have been

so there you go 3 plus reasons psp may hold a graphical comparision over the 3ds but it will not hold a candle to its huge potential ,

we can sell our dsis and not have to worry about our dsiware since their transferable,

plus the 3ds plays ds original games so unless you use it for gba ,, -lite and phat model only applied to , you can sell your ds and still play your ds games,

and the 3ds is only 250 ,, w free sd card , ya you can use that sd card for either your wii camera or of cours your 3ds ,

which will have also the ability to take 3d pictures and has a video camera all psp 2 has is a regular picture camera like the dsi ya to late sony , i already have one !

infact make that 4 ---2 dsis a htc mytouch and a olympus 4 mp camera! so why is sony even botherin

with things that will jack the price up , ,

instead of original games ~! the same complaints gamers had with psp =no origianl games all ports of ps2 and ps3 titles, and this is the same excact scenerio fix one complaint but you cant fix them all

instant win for nintenod is the fact

1-pilot wings resort

2 nintendogs 2

3 resident evil revolution

4 resident evil mercenaries

5 saints row drive by

6 driver renegade

7 mariokart 3ds

8 zelda oot

9 starfox 3ds

10 kid icaris

11 donkey kong 3ds

12 kirby 3ds

13 kingdom hearts 3ds

14 asphalt urban gt 3ds

15 the sims 3

16 -madden 3ds

17 ridge racer 3ds

18 final fantasy 3ds

19 pokemon 3ds-ya thats right people remember how successful pokemon has always been

20 paper mario 3ds

and we all know what else will eventually come

1-marioparty!

2 007 title

3 - call of duty title

4 dj hero 3ds

mgs 3ds

2 tom clancy titles are in the works ,

as well as pacman and galagaas well as other announced games which are new series's ,

with that said 3ds will explode out the gate with gamers knowing darn well they will recieve awsome exclusives!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#107 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Capcom and Team Ninja Say Hi with these games

The Only thing that MIGHT Hinder 3DS down a bit will be the Inevitable Unreal Engine Support that Epic will give to Sony for NGP.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#108 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

The advantage the 3DS has right now are its lineup of games, I was pretty dissapointed at the ngps lineup.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Sounds like you weren't paying attention to what the PSP was doing last gen.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#110 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12346 Posts
Must I always say this. The NGP will probably not beat the 3DS but it will still be a beast of a device and it will be better than the PSP.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
3DS is coming before PSP2, unless Sony convinces people the wait is worth it, it doesn't look good.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#112 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="NWA90s"]the NGP out specs the 3ds. it has more superior hardware NGP will probably lose in sales though, but sales doesnt make a system any better PandaBear86

PSP had better specs than the DS as well...but the DS was far superior in every other aspect including the most major of them all....GAMES

don't expect the NGP to be better than the 3DS just because of specs...last gen should have taught you this

NGP will have loads of games because it supports Unreal Engine 3 and has dual analogs. Imagine how many games will be made for it, especially multiplats

My iPhone supports unreal engine, why can't 3DS?
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="CDUB316"]

PSP had better specs than the DS as well...but the DS was far superior in every other aspect including the most major of them all....GAMES

don't expect the NGP to be better than the 3DS just because of specs...last gen should have taught you this

caseypayne69

NGP will have loads of games because it supports Unreal Engine 3 and has dual analogs. Imagine how many games will be made for it, especially multiplats

The 3DS uses a DMP PICA-200 Graphics unit (it was made back in 2006), and it has 96mb total system RAM, so don't expect it to much more powerful than the Wii or play Unreal Engine games. Meanwhile the iPhone has ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and ARM PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip, along with 512mb eDRAM. Hope that explains your question. You didn't expect Nintendo to release a handheld with up-to-date graphics, did you? :P

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"] NGP will have loads of games because it supports Unreal Engine 3 and has dual analogs. Imagine how many games will be made for it, especially multiplatsPandaBear86

The 3DS uses a DMP PICA-200 Graphics unit (it was made back in 2006), and it has 96mb total system RAM, so don't expect it to much more powerful than the Wii or play Unreal Engine games. Meanwhile the iPhone has ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and ARM PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip, along with 512mb eDRAM. Hope that explains your question. You didn't expect Nintendo to release a handheld with up-to-date graphics, did you? :P

Because Nintendo THINKS
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#115 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

The advantage the 3DS has right now are its lineup of games, I was pretty dissapointed at the ngps lineup.

bowser3

That's because it doesn't have a lineup at this point. They wanted to announce the system this early to take some wind from the 3DS sails, and only announced a handful of games. At E3 they'll go all out with the game lineup. Wait until E3, then decide if the PSP2 lineup is disappointing.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

My iPhone supports unreal engine, why can't 3DS?caseypayne69

Because Epic is arrogant. When they claimed the 3DS couldn't run the Unreal Engine, they also said they never received a 3DS dev kit.Epic just really hates Nintendo for some reason. Plus the UE is pretty heavy on the required RAM. 3DS only has what, 128mb? Its way more than enough for a gaming handheld as it doesn't have to run a mobile OS or act as a phone device.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"] NGP will have loads of games because it supports Unreal Engine 3 and has dual analogs. Imagine how many games will be made for it, especially multiplatsPandaBear86

PICA200 in the 3DS is the 08 version & the PICA200 is stronger than the SGX535 in the iphone, not by too much, but it still is.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

OMG why is everyone complaining, so for say if the NGP had crappier graphics then 3DS that would be a good thing then right ? Then it will the war with sales as it will feel unique. Alot of you guys are saying "Heck with the technology advancing forward we just want DS graphics". I for one love a next gen experience on the go, playing Resistance or Killzone while i wait on those long brakes at college sounds awesome.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

I wouldnt want a lesser versions of the games i could get on my ps3 or 360 except on a smaller screen, what looks like a less comfortable controller and will probably have a terrible load time (unless it decides to go digital but from what i've heard, that was a bust for the psp go). What massive advantage is there really? a more powerful system? a powerful system isnt just gonna magicially make it more portable (probably less portable) or fun.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"] My iPhone supports unreal engine, why can't 3DS?painguy1

PICA200 in the 3DS is the 08 version & the PICA200 is stronger than the SGX535 in the iphone, not by too much, but it still is.

Not saying I don't believe you but can you provide a link that proves the 3DS' GPU is superior to the iPhone's?
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
NGP will be another flop sony handheld that will be forgotten a couple years down the road. All this hype is deja vu from the old psp days. Better tech. better games ect ect and we all know how that turned out :lol:
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]NGP will be another flop sony handheld that will be forgotten a couple years down the road. All this hype is deja vu from the old psp days. Better tech. better games ect ect and we all know how that turned out :lol:

PSP sold pretty well. So much so that ummm they made another one. It's not the same because now it has new gameplay possibilities.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Bread_or_Decide

OMG why is everyone complaining, so for say if the NGP had crappier graphics then 3DS that would be a good thing then right ? Then it will the war with sales as it will feel unique. Alot of you guys are saying "Heck with the technology advancing forward we just want DS graphics". I for one love a next gen experience on the go, playing Resistance or Killzone while i wait on those long brakes at college sounds awesome.

telefanatic
3DS fanboys are bragging about the graphics and the 3D. Two things that have nada to do with gameplay. NGP has a second touch screen and they say it's all about the graphics.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Sp4rtan_3
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]NGP will be another flop sony handheld that will be forgotten a couple years down the road. All this hype is deja vu from the old psp days. Better tech. better games ect ect and we all know how that turned out :lol:

PSP sold pretty well. So much so that ummm they made another one. It's not the same because now it has new gameplay possibilities.

The NGP is getting the same hype the Psp did. If you can't see it then I dont know what to tell ya. Selling well is great and all but selling at a loss and coming in last another generation isn't something I would look forward to.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]NGP will be another flop sony handheld that will be forgotten a couple years down the road. All this hype is deja vu from the old psp days. Better tech. better games ect ect and we all know how that turned out :lol:

The NGP is getting the same hype the Psp did. If you can't see it then I dont know what to tell ya. Selling well is great and all but selling at a loss and coming in last another generation isn't something I would look forward to.

IIRC the PSPs turn a profit, meaning it's a good thing no matter where you place. Now, I will admit that the 3DS will sell well because Nintendo owns Golden Geese (Mario, Pokemon, etc.). But a good Little Big Planet, maybe something from the Wild Arms series, some sports titles, and perhaps a number of smaller but quicker-to-play games (perhaps drawn from the Android world) can still draw sales for the NGP.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]NGP will be another flop sony handheld that will be forgotten a couple years down the road. All this hype is deja vu from the old psp days. Better tech. better games ect ect and we all know how that turned out :lol:

I doubt they would have made a second if the PSP wasn't profitable. So you can't claim it was a failure. When there's only two competitors coming in "last" really doesn't mean anything. PSP didn't have a touch screen on the front or the back. If you cant' see that then...well how can you NOT see that? That's not the same hype as the PSP. I really hate Nintendo for creating this stupid idea that if you don't have some new gimmicky game play element your somehow not relevant. That nothing else matters. Even when the PSP does have a new gameplay element people just ignore it.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#127 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Why do people keep claiming 3DS can do 8 hours? That is the time it can play DS games guys, not 3DS games. The 3DS games are 3-5 hours, +25% if you shut 3D off (so 3.75-6.25 hours).
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 HuusAsking
Why do people keep claiming 3DS can do 8 hours? That is the time it can play DS games guys, not 3DS games. The 3DS games are 3-5 hours, +25% if you shut 3D off (so 3.75-6.25 hours). DerekLoffin
Too bad that, AFAIK, the battery's internalized. If it was external (like most laptops), then perhaps the battery problem can be solved in the aftermarket (like it is for my Acer Aspire One--a Big Battery may not look pretty, but man does it work).
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Sp4rtan_3
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] PSP sold pretty well. So much so that ummm they made another one. It's not the same because now it has new gameplay possibilities.

I doubt they would have made a second if the PSP wasn't profitable. So you can't claim it was a failure. When there's only two competitors coming in "last" really doesn't mean anything. PSP didn't have a touch screen on the front or the back. If you cant' see that then...well how can you NOT see that? That's not the same hype as the PSP. I really hate Nintendo for creating this stupid idea that if you don't have some new gimmicky game play element your somehow not relevant. That nothing else matters. Even when the PSP does have a new gameplay element people just ignore it.

Coming in last does mean something.It means less developers, less games and less sales. Look at the psp now look at how irrelevant it's become because its in last place. Nintendo didn't create the atmosphere you calim they did they created a different way to interact with games and that idea gained them HUGE success. You call it a gimmick, but it certainly worked sony is unapologetically trying now with its NGP dual touch screen. I hope they make something cool and innovative out the the tech but i'm holding my breath on that.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Bread_or_Decide
I would love for Nintendo to lose at least ONE hand held gen. Put some humility into those fanboys. Same that happened to Nintendo with the N64 and Sony with PS3.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Maybe you should of thought a little more about why the Wii and DS won. You pretty much went over stuff that is pretty much true between DS and PSP, as well as Wii, 360 and PS3. If you go back to 2004-2005 switch some words around and this would sound like a argument for the psp vs DS, except it would of held more ground.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

If Sony are smart (which some can argue they aren't) any game you download on the PSstore that is available on both the NGP and the PS3 will unlock on both systems. Lets say the next MGS releases on both systems. You buy retail, you get a copy for whatever system you buy it for. Get it digitally, download it on both the NGP and the PS3. That would be a huge for both systems.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]So why would I want to buy a portable HD console when I can buy an HD console and hook it up to my 50 inch HDTV?OreoMilkshake
Must be fun taking that 50 inch HDTV with you during a train ride on the way to work? :|

I drive a car.

Then you can play NGP games on the go when you have the chance. You know? That's why it's portable (so you don't have to stay in one spot in order to play your games).

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Ports ports ports. Why would anyone want a watered down HD console game to the NGP? I rather play it in the HD consoles.

the NGP out specs the 3ds. it has more superior hardware NGP will probably lose in sales though, but sales doesnt make a system any better NWA90s

Having more sales really doesn't make it better than the competition but it does benefit out of it. Having more sales= more support, which is more games.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Ports ports ports. Why would anyone want a watered down HD console game to the NGP? I rather play it in the HD consoles.

[QUOTE="NWA90s"]the NGP out specs the 3ds. it has more superior hardware NGP will probably lose in sales though, but sales doesnt make a system any better p3anut

Having more sales really doesn't make it better than the competition but it does benefit out of it. Having more sales= more support, which is more games.

Lol there were only three games showed and one of them was just a demo and your said ports three times. What makes you think NGP will be all ports ?

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#136 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Pokemon is still a system seller and perhaps the only thing Nintendo could release and it would guarantee millions of sales. I think frankly both will do fine, which will win? I think Nintendo has proven they have the software to generally back up their systems, and even though people scoff at their "innovations" they tend to get them right on the handheld. Maybe 3D portable systems is what the world will want, and it's what Nintendo is betting off on again before the world has 3D iPhone, 3D Tablets, etc out in the mainstream.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

Alot of people assume that 3DS will be victorious in the handheld war simply because the DS beat the PSP, meaning they expect the same results with NGP and 3DS. Sounds logical, but I personally dont agree with this idea, because PS2 sales were much higher thanthe GameCube and Xbox last gen, yet that didn't stop the PS3 from having poor sales in comparion to Wii nowadays. You can't assume that NGP will lose just like the PSP did.

So... the REAL reason why NGP will succeed is because its a portable HD console and will share many games with Xbox 360 and PS3. Look how many games are based on Unreal Engine 3, truckloads of them. Any future games made on UE3 will be easy to port over to NGP as well. If I was a developer, I would rather use UE3 to make a game for three systems (PS3 + 360 + NGP), rather than make a brand new engine just for one system (3DS). Sure, I understand that this means NGP will recieve many ports from PS3/360, but its still good because you can choose whether you want to buy a game for PS3 (slightly better graphics + Move support) or NGP (portability, touch screen and touchpad). I am actually excited about playing PS3-like games on a handheld. Imagine if Fallout 4 or Mass Effect 3 was playable on NGP. Talk about awesome :D

Your thoughts?

PandaBear86

lol the irony is so amazing in this one.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

[QUOTE="p3anut"]

[QUOTE="NWA90s"]the NGP out specs the 3ds. it has more superior hardware NGP will probably lose in sales though, but sales doesnt make a system any better telefanatic

Lol there were only three games showed and one of them was just a demo and your said ports three times. What makes you think NGP will be all ports ?

TC is saying NGP big advantage is ports from 360/PS3 that's why I said ports ports ports. Why would anyone want a watered down console port?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 HuusAsking
Pokemon is still a system seller and perhaps the only thing Nintendo could release and it would guarantee millions of sales. I think frankly both will do fine, which will win? I think Nintendo has proven they have the software to generally back up their systems, and even though people scoff at their "innovations" they tend to get them right on the handheld. Maybe 3D portable systems is what the world will want, and it's what Nintendo is betting off on again before the world has 3D iPhone, 3D Tablets, etc out in the mainstream.yoshi_64
15 years ago, they predicted that CD-ROMs were ahead of their time. That led to about 10 years of mediocrity for Nintendo, IIRC. Just goes to show even Nintendo can drop the ball.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="telefanatic"]

[QUOTE="p3anut"]

p3anut

TC is saying NGP big advantage is ports from 360/PS3 that's why I said ports ports ports. Why would anyone want a watered down console port?

Becuase they don't have the console to begin with and/or travel a lot, making the consoles useless for them.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 HuusAsking

If Sony are smart (which some can argue they aren't) any game you download on the PSstore that is available on both the NGP and the PS3 will unlock on both systems. Lets say the next MGS releases on both systems. You buy retail, you get a copy for whatever system you buy it for. Get it digitally, download it on both the NGP and the PS3. That would be a huge for both systems.

RandomWinner
It may be tricky, but if they can pull off better NGP-PS3 integration (much tighter than with the PSP), then they might have a lure for PS3 owners. Think LBP1/2 levels that can be transferred to an NGP LBP or vice versa, making one big community no matter which platform you choose. Or having an NGP version of a sports game being able to go up against someone on a PS3. And so on.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"] The 3DS uses a DMP PICA-200 Graphics unit (it was made back in 2006), and it has 96mb total system RAM, so don't expect it to much more powerful than the Wii or play Unreal Engine games. Meanwhile the iPhone has ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and ARM PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip, along with 512mb eDRAM. Hope that explains your question. You didn't expect Nintendo to release a handheld with up-to-date graphics, did you? :P

BreakTheseLinks

Not saying I don't believe you but can you provide a link that proves the 3DS' GPU is superior to the iPhone's?

its not exactly someone confirming it. Its more a compilation of various spec sheets with stats & numbers that you can use to come to such a conclusion. For example. The SGX535 for example is capable of 28mtri/s untextured @200MHz. I think the Iphone 4 uses a slightly modified version of it.The PICA200 does 40mtris/s @100mhz textured(3DS is supposedly @ 133mhz). I know comparing triangle performance isn't very accurate but it gives u a good idea of whats going on. Some might fault the PICA200 for not using OpenGL ES2.0 but the Maestro extensions basically provide teh same features. DMP gives devs a tool that lets u change OpenGL ES 2.0 shaders for Maestro. The reason i say it is using the 08 version is because there is no point in producing two versions of the same chip. The PICA200 Lite is close to what the PICA200 06 version would have been. It wouldn't be very smart to produce two of the same chips in this case.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ws4d3l.jpg

http://www.dmprof.com/english/e_products/e_pica_200/

http://www.dmprof.com/english/e_products/e_pica200_lite/

There are alot more sites that go into detail about the GPU, especially this one japanese site, but i cant find it anymore. im not saying my word is fact, but im just going off of what the rumors are pointing to.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 PandaBear86
[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Alot of people assume that 3DS will be victorious in the handheld war simply because the DS beat the PSP, meaning they expect the same results with NGP and 3DS. Sounds logical, but I personally dont agree with this idea, because PS2 sales were much higher thanthe GameCube and Xbox last gen, yet that didn't stop the PS3 from having poor sales in comparion to Wii nowadays. You can't assume that NGP will lose just like the PSP did.

So... the REAL reason why NGP will succeed is because its a portable HD console and will share many games with Xbox 360 and PS3. Look how many games are based on Unreal Engine 3, truckloads of them. Any future games made on UE3 will be easy to port over to NGP as well. If I was a developer, I would rather use UE3 to make a game for three systems (PS3 + 360 + NGP), rather than make a brand new engine just for one system (3DS). Sure, I understand that this means NGP will recieve many ports from PS3/360, but its still good because you can choose whether you want to buy a game for PS3 (slightly better graphics + Move support) or NGP (portability, touch screen and touchpad). I am actually excited about playing PS3-like games on a handheld. Imagine if Fallout 4 or Mass Effect 3 was playable on NGP. Talk about awesome :D

Your thoughts?

1) PS3 + 360 sales combined are higher than Wii 2) PS3 sales are strong, it only looks weak in COMPARISON to Wii
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Your thoughts?

1) PS3 + 360 sales combined are higher than Wii 2) PS3 sales are strong, it only looks weak in COMPARISON to Wii

Lol, its always the combined forces of PS3 and 360
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#145 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

This is almost the same as DS vs PSP isn't it? The big difference being that the 3DS is mostly a more powerful DS, and not all that revolutionary.

Still i think the PSP formula sucked, and it seems they'll make the same mistakes again. (Except for UMD! Glad they are gone!)

deltamirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deltamirage
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

How can you make a judgment on whats better untill you have atleast physically seen a 3DS? So you can see how the 3D looks and works into gameplay.

In terms of actuall sales though. The NGP doesnt have a chance to be the 3DS. The 3DS is getting a release head start and will be far less money than the NGP and will more than likely get a price drop when the NGP comes around to release.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PandaBear86

This is almost the same as DS vs PSP isn't it? The big difference being that the 3DS is mostly a more powerful DS, and not all that revolutionary.

Still i think the PSP formula sucked, and it seems they'll make the same mistakes again. (Except for UMD! Glad they are gone!)

KungfuKitten

Did the original PSP share multiplats with the Xbox 360 and PS3? Did it have full PSN support and decent online? Could it handle Unreal Engine 3?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#148 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

PandaBear86

Did the original PSP share multiplats with the Xbox 360 and PS3? Did it have full PSN support and decent online? Could it handle Unreal Engine 3?

It's more powerful than the DS, it has better online than the DS, and its biggest problem was that it had console games on a handheld.

deltamirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deltamirage
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts
How is shared multiplats with the daddy consoles a plus?
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 PandaBear86

How is shared multiplats with the daddy consoles a plus?deltamirage
Make a game for PS3/360, and its easy to port it over to NGP. Third party developer will LOVE this feature. Howisn't it a plus? Just because the NGP will share many games with PS3/360 does not mean the game itself will be any worse.

If YOU were a thrid party developer, what would you do, make a game for PS3 + 360 + NGP, or a game just for 3DS? Three platforms are better than one.