lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

The main reason why Japan has become irrelevant today is because they are not into PC gaming. These are what they lacked by ditching the PC platform.

1. Game Engines - In Japan, the use of engines like Unreal, Unity, etc. is fairly recent. What they usually do is create a game engine for every game. As technology advanced, using game engines like Unreal and Unity has become more cost efficient. But as they turn to these engines, they are already very behind in the technological know-how as the West have been using these for a long time and they aren't adept at English.

2. Mods and map editors - These tools are the hallmarks of PC gaming. It is how MOBA was born and so is Counter Strike. The Japanese aren't exposed to these tools because they do not game on PC hence their lack of knowledge of using such tools. And without these freely available tools, there's no creation of content. Again, the inability to understand English is going to make it harder for them without any attempt of localization.

3. Digital Distribution - It is because of this format that indie games became widespread and with it the desire to create games independently. In Japan, DD is unpopular. They are stuck in the past with the traditional publisher-developer relationship. Indie games from the West have to be published over there. Strange, considering the very definition of indie is being independent (lack of publisher).

So you see? It is PC gaming that is at the forefront of the industry. It is where the ripples of change start. Consoles this gen are just PC wannabees.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Okay.

Also, Japan is not irrelevant.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

What if i have a PS3 and PC?

Don't I win because i have the best of both worlds?:-\

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlors
@walloftruth said:

Okay.

PS4 is selling terribly over there. And their market is dominated by mobile. What's happening over there doesn't really affect the world that much anymore. PC doesn't even need Blu-ray for gaming.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

actually, PC gaming is at the ass end of the industry. Due to lack of quality games.it's a common mistake made by some gamers to think that it's in the forefront.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

This is the dumbest claim I've heard in a long while. It is consoles. It will continue to be consoles until the mindless fanboys put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting all the bullshit practices that are going on. PC was at the forefront for awhile, but not at the moment. There was a period where the PC had a Neo Geo like status.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If PC is at the forskin of the industry, why are they getting GTA V a year late, and either no Destiny or a year later for that as well?

Face it, consoles are more popular.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordlors

@Heirren said:

This is the dumbest claim I've heard in a long while. It is consoles. It will continue to be consoles until the mindless fanboys put their money where their mouth is and stop supporting all the bullshit practices that are going on. PC was at the forefront for awhile, but not at the moment. There was a period where the PC had a Neo Geo like status.

Those three things I listed started on PC and catapulted the industry to what it is today. Imagine if there were no game engines like Source, Unreal, Unity,etc., no mods and map editors, and no Steam.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

PC is becoming mobile/tablet bejewel style games. Hardcore pc gamers are a small minority mostly ignored by the industry. With good reason.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Japan doesn't care for consoles. They want mobile games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@amazonangry said:

actually, PC gaming is at the ass end of the industry. Due to lack of quality games.it's a common mistake made by some gamers to think that it's in the forefront.

That was just a sad pathetic attempt. You have seriously got to try and improve your trolling. That just plain sucked.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

I'm one of the biggest proponents of PC gaming on this forum, but even I find this post to be completely off base. Your conclusions are all wrong.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

People understimate how vibrant pc gaming developers community is in Japan. Their biggest problem is lack of DD popularity, but even that is changing and more and more games are getting english releases.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa

@uninspiredcup said:

PC is becoming mobile/tablet bejewel style games. Hardcore pc gamers are a small minority mostly ignored by the industry. With good reason.

Read my above post, it applies to you as well.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

People understimate how vibrant pc gaming developers community is in Japan. Their biggest problem is lack of DD popularity, but even that is changing and more and more games are getting english releases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@lordlors said:

@Heirren said:

Those three things I listed started on PC and catapulted the industry to what it is today. Imagine if there were no game engines like Source, Unreal, Unity,etc., no mods and map editors, and no Steam.

And the industry is a MESS today. DLC has almost reached a point where I don't even like thinking that it started from expansion backs, back in the day. It did, but back then you were really getting something ALL of the time. Not only that but the idea of the expansion backs was to extend the length of a games life out of fan demand.

Now in regards to game engines. There's obviously a positive to licensed engines. However, look at the amount of crap and mediocrity that comes from them. Yes i'm aware there are good games, but having such easy to use engines also gives the ability for studios to just throw stuff together very quickly, market it to death, and sell sell sell.

***I've stated numerous times that I do think PC gaming will be back in the limelight in the near future, btw. These two consoles--xbox and ps4--are the worst consoles ever released.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Japan is not irrelevant. .

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clyde46

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@amazonangry said:

That was just a sad pathetic attempt. You have seriously got to try and improve your trolling. That just plain sucked.

Just ignore him. Its because people like you bite that he keeps coming back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts
@lordlors said:

The main reason why Japan has become irrelevant today is because they are not into PC gaming. These are what they lacked by ditching the PC platform.

Lolololololololoololololol

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Okay.

They probably are to most North American and European devs.

I doubt there are a lot of japanese gamers playing Divinity:Original Sin or The Witcher right. Devs don't expect them to either.

And looking at famitsu, it seems like most gamers are very young and play mostly on portable systems like the 3DS and PS Vita.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

If PC is at the forskin of the industry, why are they getting GTA V a year late, and either no Destiny or a year later for that as well?

Because we are getting the improved version along with the current-gen systems ?

And TWO freaking examples instantly changes 25+ years of computer gaming history ?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@clyde46 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@amazonangry said:

Just ignore him. Its because people like you bite that he keeps coming back.

I didn't bite. Do you even know what that means? In order for me to bite, I would have had to of been stupid enough to take him seriously and not know he was trolling. You can clearly tell by my reply to him that I knew he was trolling.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordlors
@Heirren said:

@lordlors said:

@Heirren said:

And the industry is a MESS today. DLC has almost reached a point where I don't even like thinking that it started from expansion backs, back in the day. It did, but back then you were really getting something ALL of the time. Not only that but the idea of the expansion backs was to extend the length of a games life out of fan demand.

Now in regards to game engines. There's obviously a positive to licensed engines. However, look at the amount of crap and mediocrity that comes from them. Yes i'm aware there are good games, but having such easy to use engines also gives the ability for studios to just throw stuff together very quickly, market it to death, and sell sell sell.

***I've stated numerous times that I do think PC gaming will be back in the limelight in the near future, btw. These two consoles--xbox and ps4--are the worst consoles ever released.

MESS? You're just being pessimistic and blind. Because of game engines, mods and editors, and DD, new genres were born and indie games flourished. This is the democratic age of game development where anyone can make games and put them on the internet for people to play. Why do you care so much about DLC and mediocre and bad games?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#26 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@faizanhd said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Because we are getting the improved version along with the current-gen systems ?

And TWO freaking examples instantly changes 25+ years of computer gaming history ?

This ^^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@lordlors said:
@Heirren said:

@lordlors said:

@Heirren said:

MESS? You're just being pessimistic and blind. Because of game engines, mods and editors, and DD, new genres were born and indie games flourished. This is the democratic age of game development where anyone can make games and put them on the internet for people to play. Why do you care so much about DLC and mediocre and bad games?

No, I'm not. Look at what MS attempted to pull of with the Xbox One. People finally saw something that was so obviously not good and they spoke with their wallets. MS, by the looks of it, killed the xbox brand with such an act. The problem with the amount of mediocrity is that all these games get pushed, there's tons of ad money involved, and all these games will at least recieve decent reviews. Perhaps let me rephrase: The console arena is a mess, which is part of the reason I think PC will gain popularity over the next few years--from former console gamers.

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

Self-contradiction will always be the downfall of you Lemmings. You talk about PC gaming like it's the greatest thing ever and yet you're constantly trying to reassure yourselves and others by shoving it down people's throats. It's pathetic.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Although PC is the most innovative platform because it's open source, (Oculus, Kick started games, experimental hardware, indies, mods, entirely new genres ect, as opposed to the same 5 genres in every console game and 5sequels to every game), I don't think it's fair to say Japan is irrelevant due to the lack of PC

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By clyde46

@which_wich said:

Self-contradiction will always be the downfall of you Lemmings. You talk about PC gaming like it's the greatest thing ever and yet you're constantly trying to reassure yourselves and others by shoving it down people's throats. It's pathetic.

Just like cows were last gen.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@amazonangry said:

PC gaming is at the ass end of the industry.

Stop.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/12/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-double-console-gaming-market-value-report/

http://www.maximumpc.com/%E2%80%9Cpc_games_have_surpassed_console_games%E2%80%9D_says_dfc_intelligence_owner_2014

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1503/15036700/2514944-0729074495-wiNSE.jpg

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lordlors
@melonfarmerz said:

Although PC is the most innovative platform because it's open source, (Oculus, Kick started games, experimental hardware, indies, mods, entirely new genres ect, as opposed to the same 5 genres in every console game and 5sequels to every game), I don't think it's fair to say Japan is irrelevant due to the lack of PC

Why is it not fair? Them ditching the PC platform is what led to their downfall.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@which_wich said:

a cow that doesn't worship PlayStation is not a cow and that's why your statement is void.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By clyde46

@Gue1 said:

@clyde46 said:

@which_wich said:

a cow that doesn't worship PlayStation is not a cow and that's why your statement is void.

If you were around at the start of the last gen which I think you were, you Cows were playing all your multiplats on the PC because the PS3 sucked.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus: but youre not a pc gamer. :-\

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Who cares, why bother telling people how amazing PC is? It's for them to decide. We don't need more morons as it is anyways :P

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RoboCopISJesus

@amazonangry said:

@RoboCopISJesus: but youre not a pc gamer. :-\

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@amazonangry said:

PC gaming is at the ass end of the industry.

Stop.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/12/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-double-console-gaming-market-value-report/

http://www.maximumpc.com/%E2%80%9Cpc_games_have_surpassed_console_games%E2%80%9D_says_dfc_intelligence_owner_2014

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1503/15036700/2514944-0729074495-wiNSE.jpg

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

It's a different market, with different people, who like different things. The Japanese are not really into PC gaming because the platform doesn't offer the gaming experience that they want.

Underage girlfriend (with adult bodies) simulators, on handhelds, may not be my cup of tea but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant to someone else, from a different culture.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Bigboi500 said:

1. Consoles get late ports too. Unlike PC however, those ports are the worse version.

2. Consoles don't get all games either. Infact, consoles miss out on more aaa-aa-a games than PC. (Citation: metacritic and gs)

3. PC is almost as popular as all 6 consoles combined, making it the single most popular system and factually at the forefront of the industry:

I do not expect a response. You got decimated badly. Ouch.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

With 'Powah' and resolution being somhyped this gen, PC will garner more exposure as it trumps the consoles. I absolutely hate trying to find a fix in order to get games running on steam. But when I get them to its awesome.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Really depends on what you think irrelevant means. Japan has a unique industry, and in some ways that is more positive than negative.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Japan isn't irrelevant because of that.

They just simply tend to focus all their efforts on the Japanese market alone which is its own thing.

It's different from the Western markets where America shares pretty similar tastes with Europe with both being the biggest markets for games.

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Gue1 said:

@clyde46 said:

@which_wich said:

If you were around at the start of the last gen which I think you were, you Cows were playing all your multiplats on the PC because the PS3 sucked.

The only thing I remember about early last gen was how the ps3 was struggling with only resistance and motorstorm for games and how the lems wouldn't let us hear the end of it.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lordlors
@papatrop said:

Japan isn't irrelevant because of that.

They just simply tend to focus all their efforts on the Japanese market alone which is its own thing.

It's different from the Western markets where America shares pretty similar tastes with Europe with both being the biggest markets for games.

It's not about tastes. It's about technology and information sharing. Those three things I listed were born from the PC platform which they largely ignored. Their failure to adopt English made them behind as English is the language of science and technology. Japan isn't advanced in technology as people tend to believe.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@amazonangry: Even if only 1% of the games on the PC platform are quality titles, that's still a larger number of quality games compared to consoles which may have a selection of 50% quality titles.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lordlors
@parkurtommo said:

Really depends on what you think irrelevant means. Japan has a unique industry, and in some ways that is more positive than negative.

If by unique you mean cut off from the rest of the world, yes. Creativity flourishes through sharing and experiencing arts and culture outside of your own world.