Why isn't there a Zelda "killer"?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khanezhyray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 Khanezhyray
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts
Ehmm.. if i had to take a wham at Zelda saying a game I enjoy far more that's at least in a small bit similar to it, I'd say God of War would be a valid Zelda killer... the problem for that argument, however, stems with Zelda having a few things God of War doesn't, and God of War having some things that Zelda doesn't. Like, graphics, and M rated gameplay. IMO Brutalities FTW. Besides, after playing the God of War games, Zelda seems sort of like the children's version of it, and if God of War had come around first, I would bet on it....
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts
[QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"]

[QUOTE="a_ratchet_fan"]well, were... unfortunately they got closed down by the dumb****s at Capcom. most of them moved to SEED, though. RIP Clover and RIPurgatory Capcom.a_ratchet_fan

they are not longer SEED.

What are they now?

it gives me shivers every time i say it..

...platinum games. :|

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

It's because IMO Zelda is playing off it's name lately instead of actually being really great games. It's in a stale place right now and the next game for me is imperative for the franchise.

distrbdslipsoad

you never played PH have you?

note the "new life" comment.

I'm sure PH is good.......it's not a main game in the franchise though. It's a Wind Waker spin-off type game for the handheld.

spin off? what are you, high? of course it's an actual game in the franchise. :?

It's on a h a n d h e l d :|. I (as do reviewers also) hardly count the standard of a handheld game against those of an actually entry (i.e. one that apperas on a console) in the series.....

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#104 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

You obviously weren't here for the Kameo hype.thriteenthmonke

I was here for the Kameo, but it was hyped as a platformer, not as an adventure game, which taht's where most of the complaints here came from.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Willy105
[QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

It's because IMO Zelda is playing off it's name lately instead of actually being really great games. It's in a stale place right now and the next game for me is imperative for the franchise.

MikeE21286

I'm sure PH is good.......it's not a main game in the franchise though. It's a Wind Waker spin-off type game for the handheld.

spin off? what are you, high? of course it's an actual game in the franchise. :?

It's on a h a n d h e l d :|. I (as do reviewers also) hardly count the standard of a handheld game against those of an actually entry (i.e. one that apperas on a console) in the series.....

Handheld games have always counted.

Metroid 2 is still cannon with the other Metroid games, yet it's on Game Boy.

New Super Mario Bros. is cannon with Super Mario galaxy, yet it's on DS.

Zelda PH is cannon with Zelda WW, even though one os on the DS and another is in GCN.

Handhelds = consoles. Just not in graphics.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

MikeE21286

uhh no...Its a direct sequel to the wind waker.
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts
[QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

MikeE21286

it is a DIRECT sequel to wind waker. honestly, some of the most important chapters of the zelda franchise have been on handhelds. why would it matter if the game is on a home console or not?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Willy105

Okami was the only one that came somewhat close.

Too bad it's future was closed.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Okami killed Zelda.

Nike_Air

Yeah go over to Gamerankings and look at the scores....

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"][QUOTE="distrbdslipsoad"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

distrbdslipsoad

it is a DIRECT sequel to wind waker. honestly, some of the most important chapters of the zelda franchise have been on handhelds. why would it matter if the game is on a home console or not?

I know. Thats like saying that MGS: PO isn't cannon to the MGS franchise, despite the fact that it is.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts

Calling a game a "Zelda killer" would be as foolish as saying that Mike Ditka would lose in a fight against a tornado.

Da Bears.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Willy105
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Okami killed Zelda.

Blackbond

Yeah go over to Gamerankings and look at the scores....

It didn;t kill, but it actually got a little close. Something that's almost impossible to do by any developer, including Nintendo.

FusionApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FusionApex
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
Because it isn't necessary. Thee can be games on par with it, but not a killer, just like I don't think there is such a thing as an FF killer, its too deep rooted in the gaming industry.
jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts

Nothing can beat Zelda. While I think Halo 3 is an amazing game I'm sorry but Zelda TP kicks the crap out of it, in terms ofSP. Zelda is just that good.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Fable tried, its very original and likeable but has various flaws and is way too short. I like it more than TP anyway. Maybe Fable 2 can be a better challenge.

oooh almost forgot, Shadow Of The Colossus. Makes every Zelda feel generic in comparison.

Khanezhyray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Khanezhyray
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts

Nothing can beat Zelda. While I think Halo 3 is an amazing game I'm sorry but Zelda TP kicks the crap out of it, in terms ofSP. Zelda is just that good.

jd7-03

You can't compare different genres to which game is better. In my comment earlier, I even stated comparing God of War to it was stretching it...

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Okami killed Zelda.

a_ratchet_fan

The problem is that game is not something that can become iconic and become a great franchise. There is something special about Zelda. I just hope one day that magic happens to be found in another game.

I'm guessing you've never played Okami... if you did, you would take that back. Just because you can't see a way for the seriers to expand doesn't mean the devs can't, and Clover are some of the most creative in the buisness.

It doesn'ty have the magic Zelda has to be popular.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

Fable tried, its very original and likeable but has various flaws and is way too short. I like it more than TP anyway. Maybe Fable 2 can be a better challenge.

oooh almost forgot, Shadow Of The Colossus. Makes every Zelda feel generic in comparison.

tomarlyn
I doubt it since the game was supposed to be the best RPG ever.
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#120 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts

MikeE21286

So Minish CAp AAA, Oracle of Ages AAA, Oracle of Seasons AAA, Links Awakening AAA, and a A Link to the Past remake, aren't real zelda games.... wow... you don't know what zelda is.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

too_much_eslim

Yeah it flopped in the face of its own hype big style, but if you step away its got a lot of charm. Anything's possible with Fable 2 though I suppose, it should realise more of the original vision.

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#122 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Because no adventure game will ever be nearly as epic as Zelda is.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#123 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Only zelda can kill zelda.

meaning if we keep getting unoriginal zeldas lacking there own charm like TP. that deseerve a 9 at best(which it deserved atleast a 9 but nothing more IMO) and is considered among most zelda fans as the most disapointing zelda for being nothing special other than taking all the old formulas and making them perfect.

Than zelda is killed on its own.

If we get back to original and zelda games with there own charm like (OOT, ALTTP, Majoras Mask, WInd Waker and handheld games like OoS/OoA, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass(sequal but still different to WW) ).

Then Zelda is just unstoppable. Its a great franchise. Nintendo just needs to get back on track with it.

monkey-squable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#124 monkey-squable
Member since 2007 • 375 Posts
no because zelda is ultimate
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

too_much_eslim

Zelda is not a RPG it's a Action Adventure with RPG elements.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

jasonharris48

Zelda is not a RPG it's a Action Adventure with RPG elements.

My bad you were talking about Fable btw does any one remember when Dark Cloud(PS2) was hyped as the Zelda killer?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
IMO Outcast was a Zelda killer :)
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
[QUOTE="D3monchicken"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="nivet14"]Nothing can beat Zelda.too_much_eslim

Never said anything would, but wouldn't you want a good game that felt like Zelda but probably better in some areas.

I hate zelda, i would hate to have another game plagued by feeling like trash.

You do not like its gameplay or the story?

both

id rather be some commando dude that takes out Giant machines with nikitas or be a god like figure that stabs,slices,meims,lacerates foes.

B1ACK_MAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#129 B1ACK_MAGE
Member since 2006 • 1693 Posts
It's called Okami :wink:
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts
Well every action/adventure game takes everything that Zelda did and copies because Zelda has done so many things right, thus making impossible to create a killer, because all the games can do, is copy.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I dunno, I guess its because there really isnt anyhing else out there that plays like zelda.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#132 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I dunno, I guess its because there really isnt anyhing else out there that plays like zelda. laughingman42

Yes there are. :|

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]I dunno, I guess its because there really isnt anyhing else out there that plays like zelda. -RPGamer-

Yes there are. :|

I guess, I mean, beyond good and evil comes to mind, but I dont really get the same feel from it.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

MikeE21286

Guess Dragon Quest IX isn't a real Dragon Quest because its on a handheld :roll:

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

i would really enjoy a zelda type game on 360. i cant even think of a game that has the same gameplay style

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
because Nintendo sue everybody that makegames that looks like Zelda. remember, they sued Level 5 for Dark Cloud 2...
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Because no adventure game will ever be nearly as epic as Zelda is.OhhSnap50893

Since when is Zelda an adventure game? Plus what exacly is epic about it?

viva_havarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 viva_havarte
Member since 2007 • 312 Posts
this is a good topic. I think that if there were a Zelda killer it would have to try realay hard to kill it because zelda has been there since the beginning of home consoles. okami didn't kill Zelda because zeldadid it first and did it better, Cameo didn't kill zelda for the same reason that okami didn't kill it. What I am trying to say is that Zelda has been around for too long and is too good of a franchise to just die like that, will a game come close to matching the gameplay and story like Dark Cloud 2 yes, but will it kill the zelda franchise and berry it for good no, just no
glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
The thing is, Zelda is in a league of its own. People say Okami and SotC are Zelda rivals, but both are stand-alone games and don't have the influence the Zelda series does.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
On Zelda note, I love Zelda: PH!
go7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 go7400
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

I hate Zelda........

But yeah i dunno why there isnt one......

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#142 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

What exactly are we trying to compare? Action/Adventure games that play on the swordplay element and storytelling and puzzle solving? Are we trying to compare a game that does that better than Zelda? Or a continuous release game that has an engaging and also mysterious timeline and spreads out like Zelda?

I'm not sure what to say. Okami, Beyond Good and Evil, and a few others are similar to Zelda in many aspects... I find them great games and worthy to contend with Zelda's name... in some extent. But I guess if we went with the latter, no... there hasn't been to my knowledge... But that's one of the things I think would take a LONG time to ever triumph on Zelda.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Shinobishyguy
The thing is, Zelda is in a league of its own. People say Okami and SotC are Zelda rivals, but both are stand-alone games and don't have the influence the Zelda series does.glitchgeeman
actually Okami borrows so much from the zelda franchise that it could be considered to be in the same league as Zelda. SOTC however isn't really seeing as *while it's one of the most epic games ever created* It's gameplay simply isn't as varied as Zelda games.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

If anything, Zelda will kill itself. (not that I'm implying that this will happen in the foreseeable future) As really, nothing imitates it or has the same style of play.

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#145 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Too many people focuss on shoters.
DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 DarkT33
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Because no adventure game will ever be nearly as epic as Zelda is.AdrianWerner

go play the game
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
God of War has featured puzzles that were on par with anything found in a Zelda game, IMO. There probably isn't a real Zelda killer because Nintendo has perfected the formula with game after game of the same core elements.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Because no adventure game will ever be nearly as epic as Zelda is.DarkT33

go play the game

It's not an adventure game though, and the "EPIC" part is down to opinion. (I don't really think it's that epic at all).
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#149 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
[QUOTE="Sparky04"]It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.too_much_eslim
But that game is not in the same vein as Zelda. Also TP is garbage I will not use that game as a reflection on the franchise.

How the hell is TP garbage .... Gamerankings has it the same score as Halo 3, and in the Top 30 games of all time ....
DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 DarkT33
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkT33"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Because no adventure game will ever be nearly as epic as Zelda is.gingerdivid

go play the game

It's not an adventure game though, and the "EPIC" part is down to opinion. (I don't really think it's that epic at all).

I didn't say it was an adventure game. And yes epic is down to opinion, but when a game has a fanbase as big as zelda's theres obviously something that the franchise holds, that can't just regarded as a mere"opinion".