Why isn't there a Zelda "killer"?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]Zelda is a bit of a hard one to top... considering it pretty much invented the action adventure genre, and then reinvented it in 3D. Zelda has a lot of history, and therefore a lot of experience in making a quality action adventure game. I don't think it needs competition for the formula to get switched up though, it's common knowledge that the next Zelda game we see is likely ot be drastically different from the current ones.too_much_eslim
I do not expect the game to top Zelda, but it will be just as enjoyable.

Well you shouldn't of titled this thread "Zelda Killer" because that would mean a game that is better than Zelda.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]Because Zelda is the greatest franchise ever.Zhengi

So competition isn't a good thing.

No, it's more like no franchise will reach Zelda's level. People call TP crap, but any developer out there would have loved to have that title under their name. For me though, I didn't think TP was crap. I actually liked it a lot and thought it was great.

I am one of those who thinks TP was crap. If the next Zelda is as bad as this game I am going to cry. So I want a game just as good as Zelda not on a Nintendo system.

That's fine. There are many people who hated Wind Waker and I thought it was great too. So I don't expect everyone to love Zelda. However, the quality of the game is top notch and you can't argue that any developer out there wouldn't want these titles.

Nintendo tries to revolutionize the Zelda series with every reiteration. From 2D to 3D to Masks to Cell Shading, they've tried to do different things with each game to give it freshness. TP was the only one that went back to the roots of OoT as it was service to its fans. This is the main reason Zelda is so great and tough to beat. If devs want to make a Zelda killer, they have to get out of the formulas that work and try to come up with new ideas to keep their franchise fresh. You know for sure that Nintendo will always be trying to make Zelda feel new with every new title.

Funny thing is I never wanted an OoT clone. I prefer Majora's Mask gameplay over OoT, but OoT was more Epic memeorable,and had better music. I know I don't make up the majority, but I tend to hate remakes. TP never captured the greatness of OoT in my eyes. I was hurt to play such a bad game. I couldn't believe I was playing a Zelda game.
coolviper2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 coolviper2003
Member since 2003 • 1915 Posts

[QUOTE="Sparky04"]It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.Harden_hawk

Sotc'sso crappy, I actually wrote a review about it. Well, maybe it's more of a public rant.

SoTC was a great game, maybe it's just not your cup of tea but many people see it's brilliance.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 too_much_eslim

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]Zelda is a bit of a hard one to top... considering it pretty much invented the action adventure genre, and then reinvented it in 3D. Zelda has a lot of history, and therefore a lot of experience in making a quality action adventure game. I don't think it needs competition for the formula to get switched up though, it's common knowledge that the next Zelda game we see is likely ot be drastically different from the current ones.sexy_chimp

I do not expect the game to top Zelda, but it will be just as enjoyable.

Well you shouldn't of titled this thread "Zelda Killer" because that would mean a game that is better than Zelda.

Its the only way the game would recieve attention and would peak Zelda fans interests. Also that would mean the developers wanted to make a game that is as great as Zelda.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

Funny thing is I never wanted an OoT clone. I prefer Majora's Mask gameplay over OoT, but OoT was more Epic memeorable,and had better music. I know I don't make up the majority, but I tend to hate remakes. TP never captured the greatness of OoT in my eyes. I was hurt to play such a bad game. I couldn't believe I was playing a Zelda game.too_much_eslim

I actually would have prefered the cell shading look. But I wasn't disapopinted with TP either. When I was fighting some of the bosses and swinging my wiimote, I felt an adrenaline rush as I was fighting the bosses. It was great.

So with that said, in order for another franchise to reach the quality of Zelda, it'll need to try new things whether or not it fails. Make quality titles, and then that dev will have a great franchise too.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

It's because IMO Zelda is playing off it's name lately instead of actually being really great games. It's in a stale place right now and the next game for me is imperative for the franchise.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
[QUOTE="Harden_hawk"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="Harden_hawk"]

[QUOTE="Sparky04"]It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.too_much_eslim

That game's so crappy, I actually wrote a review about it.

I should do the same.

What I hated, was the mediocre camera control's. It ruined what was a crappy game anyways.

Camera controls? I don't remember having a problem with that.

The game had its flaws but it's not like the game was actually ever hard, so I never got aggravated with it.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Okami came close to killing TP...but I'm loving PH so far.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#59 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
That's impossible.
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
why would we want a zelda killer?
Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 Bandit_Haze
Member since 2005 • 4950 Posts

[QUOTE="Sparky04"]It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.Harden_hawk

Sotc'sso crappy, I actually wrote a review about it. Well, maybe it's more of a public rant.

shadow of the collossus was super boring.. i think some ppl hyped it as a zelda killer, but they'd have to do much better than that

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

You obviously weren't here for the Kameo hype.thriteenthmonke

Someone hyped Kameo as a Zelda killer!? BWAHAHAHA.

Zelda is a pretty unique franchise, there has never been a "Zelda Killer" because there have been few games comparable to it. At least as far as I've seen.

Hehe Kameo..... classic. *wipes tears from eye*

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

It's because IMO Zelda is playing off it's name lately instead of actually being really great games. It's in a stale place right now and the next game for me is imperative for the franchise.

MikeE21286

you never played PH have you?

note the "new life" comment.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
There was and it's called Okami. Very similar style yet with fresh gameplay and great art. Too bad it got ignored because people are incredibly blind and ignorant.
Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts
Ocarina of Time got a pefect 10. No one is in a rush to try and beat that.
LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts
Zelda is a beast which cannot be killed.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Because there isn't, wasn't, and never will be a developer on this Earth that is as good as Nintendo EAD.

No seriously name one developer that can counter this quanity of quality of games.

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

The Legend of Zelda

Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic

Duck Hunt

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

F-Zero

Pilotwings

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Super Mario Kart

Star Fox (with Argonaut Games)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Donkey Kong

Stunt Race FX (with Argonaut Games)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Mole Mania

Super Mario 641996

Pilotwings 64 (with Paradigm Entertainment)

Wave Race 64

Mario Kart 64

Star Fox 64

Yoshi's Story

F-Zero X

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1080° Snowboarding

Pokémon Stadium (with HAL Laboratory)

F-Zero X Expansion Kit

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Pokémon Stadium 2 (with HAL Laboratory)

Luigi's Mansion

Pikmin

Super Mario Sunshin

Animal Crossing

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Pikmin 2

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Mario Kart DS

Nintendogs

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (with Intelligent Systems)

Animal Crossing: Wild World

New Super Mario Bros.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Wii Sports

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Super Mario Galaxy

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

okami killed zelda tp! (not in sales though :()Silenthps

am i the only person on earth who hated okami?

leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 leegar88
Member since 2006 • 5307 Posts
Games have tried.
Kushstrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Kushstrain
Member since 2005 • 800 Posts
Mario? is almost the samething..Save a princess..or can we say Final Fantasy? Almost the samething too..
Tungsten88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71 Tungsten88
Member since 2006 • 1121 Posts
Because everyone likes Zelda and no one wants it to die... unlike Halo, though I can't understand Halo haters either. Halo is awesome.
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts

It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.Sparky04

absolutely not, SotC is nothing like zelda. sure, you ride a horse. but that's essentially it.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

Shinobishyguy

I'm sure PH is good.......it's not a main game in the franchise though. It's a Wind Waker spin-off type game for the handheld.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

PSM called Okami a Zelda Killer before and after review, I think.

Might as well call ICO games a fair competitor.

distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 distrbdslipsoad
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

MikeE21286

I'm sure PH is good.......it's not a main game in the franchise though. It's a Wind Waker spin-off type game for the handheld.

spin off? what are you, high? of course it's an actual game in the franchise. :?

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
simple: it's extremely hard to make.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
They should make Kid Icarus games to rival Zelda :)
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Well if there is one, I hope it's on a Nintendo platform, or else no one will ever hear the end of it from cows/lemmings.
groudyogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 groudyogre
Member since 2006 • 1661 Posts

Closest thing to one is Okami, it isnt as good as some Zeldas but it kicked TPs assHat_Damage

Okami was a quirky game, but not as good as TP imo. I dunno why people are so dissapointed with it. I guess it's our own fault for overhyping it to the max.

DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DarkT33
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts
It wouldn't be that hard for a game to beat Twilight Princess. Shadow of Collosus is the closest game I can compare it to and I defiently liked that more than Twilight Princess.Sparky04
HelixTurnHelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HelixTurnHelix
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Funny thing is I never wanted an OoT clone. I prefer Majora's Mask gameplay over OoT, but OoT was more Epic memeorable,and had better music. I know I don't make up the majority, but I tend to hate remakes. TP never captured the greatness of OoT in my eyes. I was hurt to play such a bad game. I couldn't believe I was playing a Zelda game.Zhengi

I actually would have prefered the cell shading look. But I wasn't disapopinted with TP either. When I was fighting some of the bosses and swinging my wiimote, I felt an adrenaline rush as I was fighting the bosses. It was great.

So with that said, in order for another franchise to reach the quality of Zelda, it'll need to try new things whether or not it fails. Make quality titles, and then that dev will have a great franchise too.

Yeah, especially with Argorok and Ganondorf. Sick boss fights really.
DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DarkT33
Because everyone likes Zelda and no one wants it to die... unlike Halo, though I can't understand Halo haters either. Halo is awesome.Tungsten88
lol same with pokemon :P
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
because it scored a 10. and by the "killer" laws (at least regarding Killzone and Halo, anyway) the killer has to outscore the older game.
Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
can't kill an immortal classic
DarkT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DarkT33
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]Funny thing is I never wanted an OoT clone. I prefer Majora's Mask gameplay over OoT, but OoT was more Epic memeorable,and had better music. I know I don't make up the majority, but I tend to hate remakes. TP never captured the greatness of OoT in my eyes. I was hurt to play such a bad game. I couldn't believe I was playing a Zelda game.HelixTurnHelix

Yeah, especially with Argorok and Ganondorf. Sick boss fights really.

Those boss fights were underwhelming. In fact all the boss fights were kinda crap. Mainly because they were designed for a 3 year old. Partly because the choreography was crap. Fighting ganon in the middle of hyrule field? meh

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

Because there isn't, wasn't, and never will be a developer on this Earth that is as good as Nintendo EAD.

No seriously name one developer that can counter this quanity of quality of games.

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 2

The Legend of Zelda

Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic

Duck Hunt

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

F-Zero

Pilotwings

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Super Mario Kart

Star Fox (with Argonaut Games)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Donkey Kong

Stunt Race FX (with Argonaut Games)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Mole Mania

Super Mario 641996

Pilotwings 64 (with Paradigm Entertainment)

Wave Race 64

Mario Kart 64

Star Fox 64

Yoshi's Story

F-Zero X

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1080° Snowboarding

Pokémon Stadium (with HAL Laboratory)

F-Zero X Expansion Kit

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Pokémon Stadium 2 (with HAL Laboratory)

Luigi's Mansion

Pikmin

Super Mario Sunshin

Animal Crossing

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Pikmin 2

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Mario Kart DS

Nintendogs

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (with Intelligent Systems)

Animal Crossing: Wild World

New Super Mario Bros.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Wii Sports

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Super Mario Galaxy

Gunraidan

wow... i played so many of those...... i'm old

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
same reason theres no such thing as a chuck norris killer
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Okami had the potential to rival it, but Clover is no more.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
Yea SotC,Ico and Okami were the only games can be compared to the greatness of the Zelda series.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Nike_Air  Online
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Okami killed Zelda.

Koolsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91 Koolsen
Member since 2004 • 8054 Posts
I personally think OKami is crap... Its a game that got a free pass for looking pretty... *Covers head and runs*
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

Zelda is immortal.sexy_chimp

it sure is.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 too_much_eslim

Okami killed Zelda.

Nike_Air
The problem is that game is not something that can become iconic and become a great franchise. There is something special about Zelda. I just hope one day that magic happens to be found in another game.
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 distrbdslipsoad

I personally think OKami is crap... Its a game that got a free pass for looking pretty... *Covers head and runs*Koolsen

-_-

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 a_ratchet_fan
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
Okami anyone? Easily beat TP, and IMO beats OoT.
a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 a_ratchet_fan
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Okami killed Zelda.

too_much_eslim

The problem is that game is not something that can become iconic and become a great franchise. There is something special about Zelda. I just hope one day that magic happens to be found in another game.

I'm guessing you've never played Okami... if you did, you would take that back. Just because you can't see a way for the seriers to expand doesn't mean the devs can't, and Clover are some of the most creative in the buisness.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 a_ratchet_fan
well, were... unfortunately they got closed down by the dumb****s at Capcom. most of them moved to SEED, though. RIP Clover and RIPurgatory Capcom.
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 distrbdslipsoad

well, were... unfortunately they got closed down by the dumb****s at Capcom. most of them moved to SEED, though. RIP Clover and RIPurgatory Capcom.a_ratchet_fan

they are not longer SEED.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

You can't kill a popular franchise. The fanbase is already there.

You could kill Zelda just about as easily as you could kill off Halo or Final Fantasy.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 a_ratchet_fan

[QUOTE="a_ratchet_fan"]well, were... unfortunately they got closed down by the dumb****s at Capcom. most of them moved to SEED, though. RIP Clover and RIPurgatory Capcom.distrbdslipsoad

they are not longer SEED.

What are they now?