Why is Sony the only one still putting out challenging exclusives?

• 189 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By RedAlert539
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Because their fanbase isn't made off of dudebros that play Gears, Halo, Destiny, CoD, BF, The Division and know nothing else because it isn't marketed enough.

Couldn't be further from the truth. From those you've mentioned: Sony has an exclusivity deal with Activision for COD and Destiny BECAUSE they have huge playerbases there so they want to please them, BF 1 is a top selling title on PS for a few months now and Halo and Gears aren't available on their platform so they can't play them(otherwise they would). As for the Souls series only Bloodborne and Demon Souls are exclusive, everything else is multi platform. Just beacsue they have 2-3 such games(which are not first party anyway) doesn't mean their fanbase likes challenging games. On the contrary i would add that they like games with high production values in terms of visuals and cinematics but with standard gameplay a la Uncharted and TLOU. I just hope Horizon will stir away from that cliche and be a change of pace for Sony as far as gameplay is concerned.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Nintendo also has challenging exclusives. Xbone on the other hand is lacking due to the fact that when lems see a Souls game they cower in fear and then run to play Halo to feel good about themselves.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I hear the "i don't have the patience for X game" a lot. Mostly coming from the X1 owners. Lems are too lazy to improve in a hobby they like. That's the secret sauce.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

Because Sony is the best.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By KnightofAstora
Member since 2017 • 39 Posts

@charizard1605: Yes they do? I'm not sure what you're aiming at, there is clearly something going on between koei tecmo and Sony with nioh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@knightofastora:

Koei Tecmo are producing exclusive titles for both Sony and Nintendo platforms.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 KnightofAstora

@jumpaction: Yes I understand that, my point was that Sony deserve a praise for backing up projects such as nioh and bloodborne (I also don't believe nioh is a full exclusive title, will probably release later on pc, I could be wrong though).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@knightofastora:

Yeah, of course they do. Though I think all three deserve praise for backing the projects that they have exclusive to their systems.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 KnightofAstora

@jumpaction: That is true, the thread is about hard games though (or souls like games to be precise) :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

Nintendo:

• Fire Emblem Conquest
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Bayonetta 2

Why dont handheld count?

Aside from Sony's offerings, it is apparently a genre left in the past.

Only Sony? Even if we were to discount the Nintendo titles listed above.How about PC gaming?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@knightofastora:

I believe there are still challenging games (not Souls-like titles though) on other platforms - both first and third party.

For example, The Wonderful 101 has a very deep combat system that is a real challenge to master. This is a very good video which highlights some of the complexities of the combat system (going as far as to withhold information about the mechanics so as not to spoil the techniques required to improve in them).

Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

@oflow said:

Difficulty is subjective and to me complexity is more of a measure of difficulty than a Souls type game that's just learning the pattern and repeating it until you get it right. To me that's artificial difficulty.

Or log into Killer Instinct in ranked mode and win 5 games in a row.

Or wait til Halo Wars 2 comes out and 1v1 someone good in the full game mode not blitz and beat them.

All three of these things are actually extremely difficult.

I'm not particularly fond of the Souls games. And it's not because they are 'too hard' it's because in the 80s this format was pretty much how ALL games were in the pre checkpoint era and I've been there and done that to death.

I mostly now play PvP games because I feel that the complexity of real human opponents makes games more challenging than 1-hit mechanics.

True. I found Demon's Souls to be insultingly easy. I kid you not when I say I had more trouble with Super Mario Galaxy or Pokemon than I did with the souls games. Partially this is due to how the game reused the same enemy in an entire world, so by the end if the part, you already knew how to counter every enemy so good luck taking hits afterwards. Hell, I didnt even die in my second playthrough of Demon's Souls, since I knew how every enemy would move.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 KnightofAstora

@jumpaction: I'm sure there are hard games on every platform but I believe the op was specifically talking about souls like games as I said, I have no info on the wonderful 101 so I don't know if the game is challenging even though combat is hard to master, I'll take your word on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@knightofastora:

Souls-like games are a very specific type of game. That style was exclusive to FromSoftware until Nioh took inspiration from it, so I don't blame Microsoft and Nintendo for not obtaining Souls-like games also. :)

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 KnightofAstora

@jumpaction: Certainly, don't think anyone is blaming them.

@RedAlert539: every game will sell better on playstation, the playerbase is double of Xbox, Sony doesn't have any first party fps exclusives anymore so that's why they have made exclusive deals with activision/bungie.

Also how can you claim that the fanbase doesn't like souls like games when these games originated from playstation? Bloodborne was also a hit commercially so I don't understand your claims.

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#171  Edited By RedAlert539
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

@knightofastora said:

@jumpaction: Certainly, don't think anyone is blaming them.

@RedAlert539: every game will sell better on playstation, the playerbase is double of Xbox, Sony doesn't have any first party fps exclusives anymore so that's why they have made exclusive deals with activision/bungie.

Also how can you claim that the fanbase doesn't like souls like games when these games originated from playstation? Bloodborne was also a hit commercially so I don't understand your claims.

I never said that they DON'T like them, just that because PS has a few more Souls style exclusives doesn't make PS players challenge-mode enthusiasts by default. Or that because Xbox has first party shooters all Xbox players are "dudebros'. All the platforms have gamers and all these gamers have 1 thing in common: they like games in general, regarless of platform.

P.S. Ofc when i'm saying "gamers" i mean the serious ones who genuinely like video games as a hobby and not the usual trolls that lurk around these forums and similar other media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@putaspongeon said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

I'm sorry, just stop, please. If it's really that important to you maybe I can post a picture or something (privately). I'm not trying to make a discussion out of my gender. This is one area I'm touchy about. It doesn't make me feel good. Right now I don't feel good. Please stop.

Haha, the fakeness is off the charts.

Oh and you are trying to make a discussion out of it, 'correcting' people on the internet is the explicit act of gender reinforcement, you're forcing it out there and it's bait.

@quadknight said:

@dynamitecop: You have issues.

You're right, I do, it's tough being a manticore, it's tough holding no bias whatsoever, it's tough being the most objective person on this forum.

Do you see what happens when you just accept what people say blindly? I have the opposite of an issue, it's called be adept and wiser than simply taking what people say at face value and just accepting it, this is the internet...

Wake up! But whatever, you two can continue to perpetuate this fantasy, have at it.

Well, feel free to picture me as a guy with a big beard and....whatever. If it makes you feel better. I've dominated you on several occasions so I don't dispute your need to place a penis between my legs. A lot of guys do that.

I still love you. Good day.

He literally just goes "I'm right" and starts insulting people, it's really pathetic, I'm surprised he's not a laughing stock by now.

He sees what he wishes to see.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Challenging games? Where?

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 KnightofAstora

@sts106mat: do you have anything to add other than attacking others?

@redalert539: "Just because they have 2-3 such games doesn't mean ps players like challenging games" <----Err?

Games like these got enough support from ps players to make them successful so there is clearly a fanbase there, that's all what I was saying.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

They're a challenge alright, a challenge to play more than 15 minutes before deciding to quit and may as well watch a Real movie not some lame movie game. :P

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Because their fanbase isn't made off of dudebros that play Gears, Halo, Destiny, CoD, BF, The Division and know nothing else because it isn't marketed enough.

Didnt sony pay for the rights to have cod/destiny dlc before everyone else?

Â

Also

Â

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@silversix_: let me fix it for you....Lems play Xbox to socialize and play with people online. Cows hunker down and play alone and are antisocial, they need to game to be difficult so they don't beat it in 3-4 hours and feel ripped off. Cows still on the old NES way of playing games....make it hard so it seems longer and more fulfilling. ?

night-dreamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By night-dreamers
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
  • Sony didn't make Nioh
  • Sony is not the only one making challenging exclusives- did you never play Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, or Mario 3D World?

I did, Bayonetta has difficulty settings, same as most games that aren't challenging mechanically but through lazy changes like increasing/decreasing health, damage output from enemies. Mario3D World is not challenging whatsoever, Donkey Kong TF is the only challenging game from those that you mentioned.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

This dude serious?! I think the item on Bayonetta is called "gaze of despair" which puts all enemies in a rage constantly.

Put that on and notch it up to hardest settings.

Wonderful 101 too is challenging game.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 KnightofAstora

@sts106mat: You're clearly not understanding my "logic" if that's what you came up with.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Sony's greatest challenging game:

Loading Video...

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Sony and great exclusives go hand and hand. That's why many have purchased the PS4.

Except as I proven before then why is nobody buying sony games? all the PS4 owners are playing Fifa, CoD, BF, Battlefront, Fallout and not the exclusives. 6 of the top 10 selling games on PS4 are 3 Fifa's and 3 CODs. 9 of the top 10 are on xbox as well. only 3 out of the top 30 sold are PS4 exclusives and out of those 3, 2 are last gen remasters (TLOU:R and Uncharted collection). only 1 game in the top 30 selling PS4 games is a new exclusive game (Uncharted 4)

My opinion is different than yours on why the PS4 is selling like hotcakes. Yes people are buying multiplats, but gamers also expected a particular level of exclusives from Sony.

Keep up the good work.

edit: Thanks Sony!!!!

but even the top selling PS4 exclusive only has a 8% attach rate. most of sony's exclusives don't even have a 3% attach rate. exclusives aren't selling consoles. it's power and price point and brandy loyalty. Hell even the slim outsold the pro 6:1 during the holiday season. the best thing sony did for it's sales was 399 and for MS to come in at 499

Okay, whatever you say. I think it is different, but we agree to disagree.

Thanks Sony for providing great exclusive experience!

people lie, numbers don't. You can't "think" a fact is different. it's like me pulling out a thermometer and saying it's 80 degrees outside and you say I don't think it's 80, feels like 60 to me.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 darkangel115

@reduc_ab_ said:
@darkangel115 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@darkangel115 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Those who die again and again call them 'cheap deaths'. Those who learn not to die again and again call them steppingstones.

that's not difficult though. trying to figure out what to do does not equal difficult. difficult is knowing exactly what to do and having trouble pulling it off. once you learn what you need to do it's easy.

Sigh.

so if i put you in a maze and you have to find your way out but once you do you can go through it with ease and you consider that difficult? No difficult is running a gauntlet on ninja warrior. everyone knows exactly what to do, but few can do it

Double sigh. Shall we go for a third?

not really. since trying to reason with you is 100 times harder then dark souls ;)

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#186 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:

Except as I proven before then why is nobody buying sony games? all the PS4 owners are playing Fifa, CoD, BF, Battlefront, Fallout and not the exclusives. 6 of the top 10 selling games on PS4 are 3 Fifa's and 3 CODs. 9 of the top 10 are on xbox as well. only 3 out of the top 30 sold are PS4 exclusives and out of those 3, 2 are last gen remasters (TLOU:R and Uncharted collection). only 1 game in the top 30 selling PS4 games is a new exclusive game (Uncharted 4)

My opinion is different than yours on why the PS4 is selling like hotcakes. Yes people are buying multiplats, but gamers also expected a particular level of exclusives from Sony.

Keep up the good work.

but even the top selling PS4 exclusive only has a 8% attach rate. most of sony's exclusives don't even have a 3% attach rate. exclusives aren't selling consoles. it's power and price point and brandy loyalty. Hell even the slim outsold the pro 6:1 during the holiday season. the best thing sony did for it's sales was 399 and for MS to come in at 499

people lie, numbers don't. You can't "think" a fact is different. it's like me pulling out a thermometer and saying it's 80 degrees outside and you say I don't think it's 80, feels like 60 to me.

Look, you do not know why people purchased the PS4 period. Maybe the exclusive that they wanted haven't come out yet or the one they wanted got a very low score. I purchased an X1 hoping to get Scalebound, so there you go. To hell with your misleading numbers. Your opinion is your opinion and my opinion is my opinion. Good day sir or ma'am.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

Sony's greatest challenging game:

Loading Video...

LMAO

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#188 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I don't know man, Gears, Halo are insanely hard on their highest difficulties.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#189 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Pedro said:
@silversix_ said:

Didn't those games sold the most on the PS4?

December 2016 Top 10 PS4 Games

1. Final Fantasy XV
  2. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  3. Battlefield 1
  4. Watch Dogs 2
  5. NBA 2K17
  6. Madden NFL 17
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. FIFA 17
  9. The Last Guardian*
  10. Titanfall 2

Didn't all those games release a month prior?

You new to how the market works?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#190  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

It's like it's opposite day, so they post this thread.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 darkangel115

@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Keep up the good work.

Look, you do not know why people purchased the PS4 period. Maybe the exclusive that they wanted haven't come out yet or the one they wanted got a very low score. I purchased an X1 hoping to get Scalebound, so there you go. To hell with your misleading numbers. Your opinion is your opinion and my opinion is my opinion. Good day sir or ma'am.

so your example of you only who made a poor decision buying a console for a game that isn't out yet = 60 million in sales? you think that someone purchased a PS4 just for a sony exclusive that isn't out yet? They already released their biggest one in uncharted 4. clearly 92% of PS4 owners didn't give 2 craps about it enough to buy it. but they have no issues buying fifa and CoD every year.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:

so your example of you only who made a poor decision buying a console for a game that isn't out yet = 60 million in sales? you think that someone purchased a PS4 just for a sony exclusive that isn't out yet? They already released their biggest one in uncharted 4. clearly 92% of PS4 owners didn't give 2 craps about it enough to buy it. but they have no issues buying fifa and CoD every year.

I did the same thing, I purchased a PS4 thinking it would have some great games, boy was I wrong.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 darkangel115

@rrjim1 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

I did the same thing, I purchased a PS4 thinking it would have some great games, boy was I wrong.

which is why a sample size of a few is meaningless when there is roughly 60 million PS4s out there and 30 million XB1s out there. All you need to do is look at the games selling. it tells you everything. sight unseen i would easily know that the PS4 is outselling the XB1 in EU because it has 3 FIFA games in the top 10 selling games and XB1 has 0 FIFA game sin the top 10. FIFA only sells good in EU.

The numbers don't lie. the PS4 sales were based on price point and power. and i'm sure it helped that people didn't like the MS DRM reveal as well. then after it got steam people would buy what their friends have and so on. Friends, price, power, those thigns are moving consoles. exclusives not so much. especially when on average both systems are getting 300 games released a year. there is more then enough to play on both. Only a few vocal minority like myself own both consoles.