Who's going to win, sony exclusives or scorpio's power?

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Who's going to win, sony exclusives or scorpio's power? (117 votes)

Sony exclusives 73%
Scorpio power 27%

It has become quite obvious that the true stakes of system wars is going to come down to sony's high scoring exclusives and scorpio's power.

It are two variables that are quite clear at the moment, sure xbox did have timed exclusives that are quite popular, but a lot of those timed exclusives are now also on the playstation platform, examples are world of tanks, smite, rise of the tomb raider and elite dangerous.

Xbox did release a lot of platform exclusives as well and you could certainly debate that sony was releasing masterpieces (like bloodborne) but xbox did have a steady output of exclusives. In the end you could certainly make a case that xbox had more releases than sony, if you don't count low cost games anyway.

Of course the ps4 superior gpu has always been a major perk for sony and it was certainly one of the major reasons people opted for a sony system, but soon the tables will be turned, anyone that's denying that are clearly ignoring the facts. The scorpio will be vastly superior than the ps4 pro.

What's also a fact is that sony is releasing successfull exclusives at a rate much higher than xbox, xbox doesn't even have a notable exclusive for the last six to eight months this while sony is releasing AAAE games pretty much every 2 months on average and there's more to come.

Even if xbox is annoucning a lot of new games, it's highly unlikely it's going to be able to compete with sony's offerings. Still a lot of multiplats are coming our way as well, multiplats that will ask for high system requirments. Even if you don't have a 4k tv, games like kingdom come deliverance will run significantly better on the scorpio. and a lot of upcoming games will scream for a lot more power than the xboxone and ps4 can give.

What do you think?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I am really happy that Microsoft is making such a powerful system, and I hope that games are made that leverage that power properly.

But for me, games will always win out over hardware, and Sony's games are fucking insane at this point.

I don't think the Xbox will win over PS4 for me when it comes to games, but at this point it doesn't need to- I've accepted nothing will, I just want Xbox to be great on its own merits.

Avatar image for 666BumbleBee666
666BumbleBee666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 666BumbleBee666
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

No brainer, the power since most of the library is shared. Xbox already has kick ass exclusives of their own. Hope you all enjoyed your like 4 years of glory from digital foundry because now the tables are turning. Game over Sony.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Scorpio's exclusive power

NorseFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NorseFetus
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

Scorpio's exclusive power

This, so much!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I do have to add that elite dangerous isn't exactly released yet on the ps4, but it should be any day now.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Sony's exclusives, bar none. If Scorpio is overpriced with no exclusives, I think it will flop.

ThumpyBowser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThumpyBowser
Member since 2011 • 369 Posts

Exclusives over power any day. You have to give people a reason to buy your machine even if it is anti-consumer. Sharing exclusives with PC is fine though I guess if they include cross buy.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I want both. That's why PS5 will be the thing to keep an eye for. The Scorpio will be a beta version of the Playstation 5.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

All I care about is the games. If power is your primary concern you could do a lot better than the Scorpio. But if you care about power more than games but don't want a PC then I guess Scorpio wins for that narrow category of gamer.

NorseFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NorseFetus

@silversix_ said:

I want both. That's why PS5 will be the thing to keep an eye for. The Scorpio will be a beta version of the Playstation 5.

Who the **** do you think you are? Do you even know what the **** you are talking about? By the time that Playstation 5 comes around it will be too late right out the gate. Have you ever heard the story of the acorn too late for winter? Well once upon a time there was a Squirrel named Mean Squirrel that would beat up, eat, and take acorns from the tree. One acorn fell on the ground called late bloomer. It got really cold in the winter until winter passed and the squirrel at it. It was not anywhere near delicious as it could have been.

That is Playstation 5.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Win what? Sales?

Marketing and brand strength with a side of exclusive games, so probably Sony.

Otherwise it's whatever you want. If I only gamed on consoles I'd have a PS4 for exclusives and a Scorpio for multiplats, so both.

halo_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 halo_rules
Member since 2017 • 61 Posts

Scorpio will have both...

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Anyone can get a more powerful machine than Scorpio if they want and play the same games and more there. But none can get Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh or Persona 5 anywhere but on a PlayStation. So Sony wins automatically while Scorpio is quite irrelevant.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@NorseFetus said:
@silversix_ said:

Who the **** do you think you are? Do you even know what the **** you are talking about? By the time that Playstation 5 comes around it will be too late right out the gate. Have you ever heard the story of the acorn too late for winter? Well once upon a time there was a Squirrel named Mean Squirrel that would beat up, eat, and take acorns from the tree. One acorn fell on the ground called late bloomer. It got really cold in the winter until winter passed and the squirrel at it. It was not anywhere near delicious as it could have been.

That is Playstation 5.

Calm down. Your nose is bleeding.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Worst poll I've seen in years. You are asking power vs games. Come on now.

Anyways its not like the PS4 Pro is vastly underpowered compared to the Scorpio. This isn't Switch to XB1 level difference here.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By commander

@emgesp said:

Anyways its not like the PS4 Pro is vastly underpowered compared to the Scorpio. This isn't Switch to XB1 level difference here.

it is what it's going to come down to, sony will have more big budget games the moment the scorpio releases and certainly quite some time after that as well.

the power difference between the scorpio and ps4 pro is huge.

LostVoyager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LostVoyager
Member since 2012 • 385 Posts

Scorpio will provide the definitive of the former and the latter.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Sony already won, microsoft are just trying to salvage some sales this gen.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dakur

@commander: "the power difference between the scorpio and ps4 pro is huge"

This is incorrect. Lems would be wise to stop saying that because they're going to get owned. Even DF said that they were not so sure if Scorpio will make such a big difference when compared to PS4 and its 4k checkerboard techniques.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Well I prefer MS's exclusives, so it's a win/win for me.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@commander said:
@emgesp said:

it is what it's going to come down to, sony will have more big budget games the moment the scorpio releases and certainly quite some time after that as well.

No it isn't. Its very similar difference compared to the OG XB1 vs PS4. So a game running checkerboard 4K on the Pro will be able to hit native 4K on the Scorpio. 1440p games on the Pro will likely run at 1800p on the Scorpio, A difference, but not drastic.

DragonOracle69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonOracle69
Member since 2012 • 94 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Well I prefer MS's exclusives, so it's a win/win for me.

This, Sony was doomed before they even try. Scorpio is just going to be the nail in the coffin for the playstation brand.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 commander

@dakur said:

This is incorrect. Lems would be wise to stop saying that because they're going to get owned. Even DF said that they were not so sure if Scorpio will make such a big difference when compared to PS4 and its 4k checkerboard techniques.

you're incorrect, scorpio has much higher memory bandwith, clock speeds and tflops. It has more shader cores, more cpu speed and ton more optimizations, it's basically twice as stronger as the ps4 pro.

scorpio can use checkerboard as well, leaving a a lot of room for extra graphics options, gpgpu and so on.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 commander

@emgesp said:
@commander said:
@emgesp said:

No it isn't. Its very similar difference compared to the OG XB1 vs PS4. So a game running checkerboard 4K on the Pro will be able to hit native 4K on the Scorpio. 1440p games on the Pro will likely run at 1800p on the Scorpio, A difference, but not drastic.

It's nothing like the xb1 vs the ps4, the power difference is between 20 and 50 percent on the xbox and ps4, the scorpio will be at least 50 percent faster than the ps4 pro in worst case scenario and in best case scenario it's more than double as fast.

if you believe the scorpio isn't drastically better than the ps4pro then you're either delusional or haven't been paying much attention.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@emgesp said:
@commander said:
@emgesp said:

Scorpio vs PS4 Pro difference is not similar to OG XB1 vs PS4.

OG XBI vs PS4

CPU: XBO is 1.09X superior over PS4.

Memory storage: ~5 GB for both XBO and PS4

Memory write: Similar with slight edge for XBO via ESRAM.

Memory iterative read: Similar with slight edge for XBO via ESRAM.

GPU shader power: PS4 is 1.39X superior over XBO. Superiority = less time for frame render.

PS; XBO is shader bound.

-------------

Scorpio vs PS4 Pro

CPU: Scorpio 1.10X superior over PS4 Pro. Not including Scorpio's lower latency improvements for the CPU.

Memory storage: Scorpio is 1.45X superior over PS4 Pro. Scorpio can support PC's 4K art assets. Significant visual improvement.

Memory write: Scorpio is 1.49X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

Memory iterative read: Scorpio is 1.49X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

GPU shader power: Scorpio is 1.43X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

GPU effective shader power memory bandwidth bound: Scorpio is 1.49X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

GPU command processor clock speed: Scorpio is 1.29X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

GPU tessellation units clock speed: Scorpio is 1.29X superior over PS4 Pro. Superiority = less time for frame render.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Depends. What's winning, sales? Well in that case if we start counting from 0, see the Scorpio win, but it won't close the gap, that's just unrealistic

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Please don't turn this into another specs thread. Only so many times we can see the same graphs

We are gamers. Its always about the games. Its what we play. Therefore, Sony wins

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Switchs portability, creativity with hardware and fantastic exclusives

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dakur

@commander: I trust DF more than you.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ronvalencia

@dakur said:

The white paper leak was before hardware reveal.

As long the console game has XBO at 900p and PS4 at 1080p profile, Scorpio can easily render the same game at 4K e.g. 66.5 percent of the GPU usage with PC's 4K assets.

My R9-390X easily runs XBO/PS4 games at game console settings at sustained 4K with AF 16X.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@emgesp said:

The gap in power in 3-4x as big... from a 0.4tf gap to a 1.5tf gap

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@silversix_ said:

A this generation console is beta for next generation console?

More like the PS5 will be a beta for the next gen Xbox, assuming it comes out first like the Pro did.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Clearly the winner will be Tiger handhelds.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ronvalencia

@FastRobby said:
@emgesp said:

The gap in power in 3-4x as big... from a 0.4tf gap to a 1.5tf gap

It's 1.8 TFLOPS gap between Scorpio and PS4 Pro.

Memory bandwidth difference has a higher impact on frame rate and resolution during high TFLOPS being bound by memory bandwidth.

1. Hardware superiority = less time to render a frame at that particular graphics pipeline stage.

2. Shader power is dependent on memory read performance (TMU's texture fetch/gather). Important for TFLOPS being bound by memory bandwidth.

3. Memory write (TMU's write/scatter, ROPS's write/scatter) is dependent on math result to be completed at a timely manner. Important for TFLOPS being bound by memory bandwidth.

NorseFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NorseFetus

@silversix_ said:
@NorseFetus said:
@silversix_ said:

That is Playstation 5.

Calm down. Your nose is bleeding.

Regardless of your funny picture the PS5 will be too late and you know it.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ronvalencia

@silversix_ said:

In terms of history, Sony has been spending less on chip budgets when compared to MS.

XBO's 363 mm^2 chip vs PS4's 348 mm^2 chip //Kinect has moved XBO's cost structures away from GDDR5 and bigger GPU.

Scorpio's 360 mm^2 chip vs PS4 Pro's 321 mm^2 chip . Scorpio is example for MS being focused on gaming without Kinect's cost.

Without Kinect, XBO's 363 mm^2 chip would have yielded 28 CU class GPU and 384 bit GDDR5-5000 setup.

Another purpose for maintaining custom D3D12 command processor without JIT complier with DirectX12 API is the ability to switch GPU vendors e.g. the option for NVIDIA Volta without being boat anchored with AMD GCN instruction set.

UWP's CPU instruction set neutrality = open the road for heavy out-of-order ARM CPU option e.g. AMD K12 is ARM clone CPU with Ryzen IP.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Looking at the ps4 pro vs ps4 slim sales, console gamers dont seem too hooked up on power, eventho Scorpio seems like a way beefier upgrade I dont see it doing too well w/o the games to back it up

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I already own a PS4 Pro and I'm also getting a Scorpio so it's all good but at the moment Sony are miles ahead of Microsoft when it comes to Exclusives.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#41 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Scorpio of course. The most power and best exclusives.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 commander

@dakur said:

@commander: I trust DF more than you.

why because they used words that you can spin. Df only said that checkerboard can get near 4k visuals, but the scorpio can use checkerboard as well, leaving a ton of room for other improvements.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dakur

@commander said:

why because they used words that you can spin.

No, because they're not biased fanboys that have a history of overhyping everything M$ does and then getting owned because of it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Whoever says power over exclusive games is a fool and having a powerful console doesn't mean shit without exclusive games to support it is doomed to failed.

Exclusive games wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Given the poor sales performance of most PS4 exclusives I really don't think they factor in that much.

Which console has the best version of GTA5, CoD, BF, FIFA etcs will drive the sales.

And by the looks of things scorpio is going to set new standards in terms of console performance.

grant-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 grant-12
Member since 2017 • 28 Posts

Sony Exclusives FTW

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 commander

@dakur said:
@commander said:

No, because they're not biased fanboys that have a history of overhyping everything M$ does and then getting owned because of it.

whatever you say doesn't change the fact that the scorpio simply murders the ps4 pro in terms of performance.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Most of Sony Exclusives are a joke!

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dakur

@commander said:
@dakur said:
@commander said:

whatever you say doesn't change the fact that the scorpio simply murders the ps4 pro in terms of performance.

Bookmarked for future ownage for when the differences for the average gamer are minimal in most multiplats.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I'm not one to care too much about exclusives but Microsoft is definitely lacking. Still would go for the more powerful system any day, since I mostly play non exclusives.