Who agrees that Kingdom Hearts is the best action rpg game series ?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

umm...

I really don't think so.

DeckardLee2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DeckardLee2010
Member since 2010 • 402 Posts

On consoles? Maybe. Most of the only ARPGs on there are crappy Japanese rip offs of Diablo 2. If you include PC, nothing will EVER beat Diablo 2 or Torchlight, except Diablo 3.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

It was, until they started the water down the franchise to an uncomprehensible mess Sqaureenix styIe.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 JLF1

umm...

I really don't think so.

dovberg

Zelda is not an RPG. It's an action-adventure game.

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

My three year old would agree. She always asks me to play Birth By Sleep to see which princess I'll encounter. My wife responded with "Isn't that kinda (word that dare not be uttered here) for you to be playing."

In reality, it's fun, but it lacks the depth to really be considered great, and I have trouble calling games that are that linear RPGs anyway.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Diablo in the ocident and Ys in the orient. ;)

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]I really, really, really need to play these. I actually have the entire series. (well, just chain of memories, 1 and 2) It's just that I didn't get around to put the disc in to play those damned games.Master_ShakeXXX

Take these words of advice I'm about to give you to heart. Take KH2 and Chain of Memories, throw them in a garbage can, light it on fire, and then piss on the ashes. THEN start playing KH1 and experience one of the most magical and fun games out there.

Dont do that funshong. I can understand if KH2 isnt for you Master_Shake, but it improved on nearly every aspect that KH1 had. It had an even better story, better combat, more diverse environments, and the final planet is one of the coolest levels in a videogame.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
gothic series says no Risen says no hell even fable says no
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Isn't Kingdom Hearts just a button masher? That's hardly good gameplay. Like I always say, FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts ride the same wave, people like them because of their nice presentation because from a gameplay perspective both are shallows.

"One example of the severe button mashing, for example, is that I placed the controller on my desk, lightly pressed X and had a conversation with a co-worker. Three minutes later, I'd cleared all of the opponents in a room and leveled up, without actively controlling the game. What's more, because the ability to button mash is so prevalent, boss fights take a fraction of the time. I clocked every major fight that I had in this title, and most of them came out under the five-minute mark, including the final boss. This is extremely disappointing and not particularly appealing as far as fostering a replay once the thing has been beaten." -http://ps2.ign.com/articles/698/698697p3.html

And look, I'm not the only one that thinks that.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 JLF1

Isn't Kingdom Hearts just a button masher? That's hardly good gameplay. Like I always say, FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts ride the same wave, people like them because of their nice presentation because from a gameplay perspective both are shallows.

"One example of the severe button mashing, for example, is that I placed the controller on my desk, lightly pressed X and had a conversation with a co-worker. Three minutes later, I'd cleared all of the opponents in a room and leveled up, without actively controlling the game. What's more, because the ability to button mash is so prevalent, boss fights take a fraction of the time. I clocked every major fight that I had in this title, and most of them came out under the five-minute mark, including the final boss. This is extremely disappointing and not particularly appealing as far as fostering a replay once the thing has been beaten." -http://ps2.ign.com/articles/698/698697p3.html

Gue1

That was not my experience at all. But I also played the game on hard.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Who agrees that Kingdom Hearts is the best action rpg game series ?Thread Title

No one that has played a Diablo or Mass Effect game.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Gue1

That KHII which has the most shallow gameplay in the series (through it was still fun at least). KH1 was harder and the handheld games added more depth to the gameplay.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

JLF1

KH1 does have it's moments on hard but it isn't that hard as for KH2 even on proud mode it is one of the easiest games I've played.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

I don't.

waltefmoney
Opinions vary. I liked Tales of Vesperia and Diablo 2 better.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

jasonharris48

KH1 does have it's moments on hard but it isn't that hard as for KH2 even on proud mode it is one of the easiest games I've played.

I found KH1 to be easier than KH2

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I had my fun with KH2 and 358/2 Days. I will say that it isn't as good as everybody hypes it up to be.

The Disney characters made it far more enjoyable rather than the Final Fantasy characters.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Well they have the best music. I'd say they are one of my favorite (possibly 1 is my most favorite).
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

I bought BBS at full price and I regret it big time...Thats my answer.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

no secret of mana, secret of evermore...etc take that crown.

Kingdom hearts has a horrible story, its gameplay is just button mash *but to a extent so are secret of mana (seiken Densetsu series) and secret of evermore are the same* but in kingdom hearts you literally can go through the entire game dodging and attacking and thats it the same for crisis core which literally is just kingdom hearts engine. But forget gameplay when it comes to an rpg I look for one thing a good story and kingdom hearts doesn't have it.

I can bet you right now its gonna turn out that all it was is Sora having a dream in the end massive plot holes and other things abound in kingdom hearts keep it from having any sort of corherent story...and 358 days and birth by sleep dont seem to close that gap in any way.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
the cheesiest game ever. number 1 action rpg = monster hunter
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#72 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I like the series...but no. Most of the gameplay revolves around mashing the x button. KH2 was definitely the worst offender out of the bunch. Birth By Sleep finally started to make it more strategic, but again no.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

The soundtrack, gameplay, story, characters, style, rpg elements, extra content, it's all just to awsome for me to stomach :P

RoyalWCheese

Agreed, but it's on par with the Tales of series for me.

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

That would be Mass Effect.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
I don't know if it's best...but I do like it.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JLF1

jasonharris48

They aren't hard hard but there are a lof of time that actually requires your attention. Especially bosses.

Button-mashing isn't really the right word that would describe KH's combat. It's a little more variety than that seeing as some enemies can't really be hurt by simple attacks.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[quote="Thread Title"]Who agrees that Kingdom Hearts is the best action rpg game series ?N30F3N1X

No one that has played a Diablo or Mass Effect game.

I've played those both and those games are far from it as well. My vote goes towards Brave Fencer Musashi though.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#78 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Mass Effect series, Oblivion and Fallout 3 just to name a few better ones :P

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

sound track needs more utada

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Action RPG?

Diablo or Mass Effect.

Maybe even Fallout 3 & New Vegas, and Fable above Kingdom Hearts.

Don't know if I'm forgetting other notable series.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

King's Field and Shadow Tower are better.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#82 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

[QUOTE="dovberg"]

umm...

I really don't think so.

JLF1

Zelda is not an RPG. It's an action-adventure game.

I know, just thought the pic was appropriate.

The idea was a look of amazement...as in no way could this be correct. I find the WW to be very expressive and enjoyable to look at. I think my actual answer would be Secret of Mana or Evermore.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

I like the soundtrack.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Wanderer5

Kingdom hearts is an RPG for the kiddies, who the hell wants to play as Disney characters?

Stringerboy

KH is aim for all ages. And technically you don't play as disney characters.:P

Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Wesrcks13
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

Of course, but I also think they should stop with the useless spin-offs on handhelds and start bringing them to consoles now.

Kingdom Hearts will become a long franchise, look at Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. :o

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Wanderer5

Of course, but I also think they should stop with the useless spin-offs on handhelds and start bringing them to consoles now.

Kingdom Hearts will become a long franchise, look at Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. :o

Wesrcks13

Chain of Memories and Birth by Sleep (could be consider a main title actually)are great and far from useless.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Nah but seriously I kind of liked the first one. Do I agree that the series are composed of the best action RPGs around? Hell no.

The first had a good vibe to it, even though the game was pretty much repeating Disney stories that we're all familiar with down to a tee. Then you have the X button gameplay, some uninteresting pacing and poor level design in some areas, along with some poor boss fight, repetitive encounters, boring backtracking and some shmup sequences that I don't know what the hell they're doing there in the first place.

I think the game at least kind of fulfilled what it set out to do though, which was to emerge the player in these very distinctive worlds presented in one package. The presentation is very good and while the level design isn't always the best, the art style in some areas is quite good too.

Then you have KH2, and I really don't know wth just happened there.

Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Wesrcks13
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Wanderer5

Chain of Memories and Birth by Sleep (could be consider a main title actually)are great and far from useless.

They're not bad games, but they're not really needed tbh. Also, I don't think Kingdom hearts games play well on handhelds, 358/2 days and Coded should've been on Wii.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Lionheart08

Kingdom hearts is an RPG for the kiddies, who the hell wants to play as Disney characters?

Stringerboy

Considering how big the series have sold, I'd say a lot of people actually.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Wanderer5

Birth By Sleep makes the mythos more complicated then it needed to be. As much as I liked Xehanort's backstory the whole Vanitas thing was just confusing and unnecessary. :P

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Does "action RPG" apply to WRPGs? ... actually, who am I kidding. I disagree, I'm not a fan of KH at all. :P

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Wanderer5

Birth By Sleep makes the mythos more complicated then it needed to be. As much as I liked Xehanort's backstory the whole Vanitas thing was just confusing and unnecessary. :P

Lionheart08

Vanitas was awesome.:P I didn't find his part that confusing.

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#94 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

I normally dont play RPGs, but i got Birth by Sleep a while ago and i have to say that its a lot better than Crisis Core for example.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lionheart08

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Wanderer5

He was a cool character, but his role in the story...not so much.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Maybe for kids
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I loved kingdom hearts, and the fact that they havnt made kingdom hearts 3 still makes me mad, but is it the best? no i know of quite a few better ones.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

Diablo and Mass Effect destroy kingdom hearts.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

JRPGs are filled with heroes who look like girls, Western RPGs like Mass Effect are so much better and innovative.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

He was a cool character, but his role in the story...not so much.

vanitas was reallly important he explains why sora has two keyblades