Which system is better for JRPGS, Vita or 3DS?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
I want to buy a new handheld, but don't no which console is better for JRPGS.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Right now it is the 3DS but in the long run we can't say which one. Both are at their infant stages, especially the Vita.
Iblis-Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Iblis-Trigger
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts
Vita if you want Jrpgs that have evolved and are not last gen games. The probablem with the 3DS is it's developers are stuck in the past and don't want to move on, so they just use old Jrpgs tech and keep making their PS1 quality games.
noscope-ak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 noscope-ak47
Member since 2012 • 1318 Posts

Not sure why you would wan't to play a jrpg on a hand held the battery life is a huge problem.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
PS Vita is the best choice.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

As of now the 3DS definitely has a much more promising JRPG lineup.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

3DS.

Full backwards compatibility with the ENTIRE DS library.

Iblis-Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Iblis-Trigger
PS Vita is the best choice.AtariKidX
This for the fact you can get new experiences with newer engines, instead of having devs be lazy on the 3DS tech and just keep making PS1 quality rpgs over and over. Vita also would have more variety, more options, and can run them in such a way you can feel immersed in their worlds.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#9 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Vita if you want Jrpgs that have evolved and are not last gen games. The probablem with the 3DS is it's developers are stuck in the past and don't want to move on, so they just use old Jrpgs tech and keep making their PS1 quality games.Iblis-Trigger
Funny since the best jrpgs are stuck in the past.
Iblis-Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iblis-Trigger
[QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"]Vita if you want Jrpgs that have evolved and are not last gen games. The probablem with the 3DS is it's developers are stuck in the past and don't want to move on, so they just use old Jrpgs tech and keep making their PS1 quality games.vashkey

No they are not, you are stuck in the past, jrpgs failed on console because you idiots did not want change and eventually that hurt after 3 gens of the same crap over and over. People say handheld rpgs are different bt they are not, they are just companies making cash off making games they made 3000 years ago. Time to move on.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#11 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"]Vita if you want Jrpgs that have evolved and are not last gen games. The probablem with the 3DS is it's developers are stuck in the past and don't want to move on, so they just use old Jrpgs tech and keep making their PS1 quality games.Iblis-Trigger

No they are not, you are stuck in the past, jrpgs failed on console because you idiots did not want change and eventually that hurt after 3 gens of the same crap over and over. People say handheld rpgs are different bt they are not, they are just companies making cash off making games they made 3000 years ago. Time to move on.

So you agree that jrpgs this gen failed. I rest my case.
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

3DS.

Full backwards compatibility with the ENTIRE DS library.

whiskeystrike
Not much motivation of I have played most of the DS's JRPGS.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

You should ask people to list it out, because I really can't think of JRPGs for either that aren't ports or remakes. Actually there's KH on 3DS, that's about it.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wanderer5

You should ask people to list it out, because I really can't think of JRPGs for either that aren't ports or remakes. Actually there's KH on 3DS, that's about it.

GD1551

There also Shin Megami Tensei 4,Etrian Odyssey 4, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Fire Emblem Awakening, Rune Factory 4, and Bravely Default for the 3DS.

Iblis-Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Iblis-Trigger
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"][QUOTE="vashkey"] Funny since the best jrpgs are stuck in the past.

So you agree that jrpgs this gen failed. I rest my case.

No your case was they were stuck in the past. The reason why they failed is because you and others did not realize console Jrpgs where the only ones changing. Now where are the Jrpgs? nowhere, you case has been dimissed.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

GD1551

Here is a small list of upcoming titles on both the 3DS and Vita (I could only think of one Vita title.) I listed titles that aren't ports/remakes but Persona might be a remake I don't know it just says working title.

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)
Bravely Default Flying Fairy (3DS)
Code of Princess (3DS)
Eternal Eden (3DS)
Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Project X Zone (3DS)
Rune Factory 4 (3DS)
Persona (Working Title) (3DS)
Time Travellers (3DS and Vita)

Edit* If somebody would list the Vita games that aren't ports or remakes go ahead. I only listed 3DS titles except one which is also on the Vita but it was announced for 3DS first.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Easily the 3DS.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Here is a small list of upcoming titles on both the 3DS and Vita (I could only think of one Vita title.) I listed titles that aren't ports/remakes but Persona might be a remake I don't know it just says working title.

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
Code of Princess (3DS)
Eternal Eden (3DS)
Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
Project X Zone (3DS)
Rune Factory 4 (3DS)

On the Vita you've got ZoE remake, Persona 4, New Little King's Story, Ys 4, Disgaea 3, FFX, and...great scott, these are all ports!
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#19 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I guess the Vita does in terms of graphics, but 3DS has 3D, so neither really have an edge.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
Edit* If somebody would list the Vita games that aren't ports or remakes go ahead. I only listed 3DS titles except one which is also on the Vita but it was announced for 3DS first.Nintendo_Ownes7
Time Travelers would be more of a Visual novel than anything else.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wanderer5

On the Vita you've got ZoE remake, Persona 4, New Little King's Story, Ys 4, Disgaea 3, FFX, and...great scott, these are all ports!tarzanell

ZoE? And Ys Celesta is technically a new game, it just another "Ys 4."

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

tarzanell

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
Code of Princess (3DS)
Eternal Eden (3DS)
Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
Project X Zone (3DS)
Rune Factory 4 (3DS)

On the Vita you've got ZoE remake, Persona 4, New Little King's Story, Ys 4, Disgaea 3, FFX, and...great scott, these are all ports!

New Little King's Story isn't a port so that is atleast two games so far.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

3DS with Bravely Default destroys Vita

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

3DS for the biggest and best JRPG out there Pokemon!!! :D

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

3DS for the biggest and best JRPG out there Pokemon!!! :D

inb4uall
It certainly is quite the jrpg. I've loved Pokemon myself since it first came over here when I saw my girlfriend playing Pokemon Blue on her gameboy.
Iblis-Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Iblis-Trigger
[QUOTE="psx_warrior"][QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"][QUOTE="vashkey"] So you agree that jrpgs this gen failed. I rest my case.

No your case was they were stuck in the past. The reason why they failed is because you and others did not realize console Jrpgs where the only ones changing. Now where are the Jrpgs? nowhere, you case has been dimissed.

Your argument is epic fail since there have been a lot of threads here lately wondering where all the jrpgs have gone. I believe I know why, but I'm not going to bother to explain it to you because you are just going to spout off more of your own opinions as fact.

I just said that people are wondering where Jrpgs have gone. The rpbolem is that you lack reading skills, but since you are around 12 years of age, you are still developing those skills. Also where are the opinions?
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
[QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"][QUOTE="psx_warrior"][QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"] No your case was they were stuck in the past. The reason why they failed is because you and others did not realize console Jrpgs where the only ones changing. Now where are the Jrpgs? nowhere, you case has been dimissed.

Your argument is epic fail since there have been a lot of threads here lately wondering where all the jrpgs have gone. I believe I know why, but I'm not going to bother to explain it to you because you are just going to spout off more of your own opinions as fact.

I just said that people are wondering where Jrpgs have gone. The rpbolem is that you lack reading skills, but since you are around 12 years of age, you are still developing those skills. Also where are the opinions?

I'm going to do something I don't think I've ever seen anybody on system wars do. I went back and read your comment and compared what you wrote to the comment I wrote, and you're right. My apologies to you. BTW, I'm 39, but I'm just waking up, as in I haven't been out of bed too long. I would like to see more jrpgs myself like they used to be. We had lots of them on ps and ps2 like the Wild Arms games, FF VII-IX, and the like. I think the technology has ruined companies like Squenix because they feel like they gotta push graphics over story and gameplay anymore.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Which is better for JRPGs? The Vita. Which has better JRPGs? The 3DS. But me personally, I would be trying to judge either on that until both have been out a few years.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]PS Vita is the best choice.Iblis-Trigger
This for the fact you can get new experiences with newer engines, instead of having devs be lazy on the 3DS tech and just keep making PS1 quality rpgs over and over. Vita also would have more variety, more options, and can run them in such a way you can feel immersed in their worlds.

So...where are these games you are talking about? If anything the average for Vita games is probably going to be games that end up as hi-def PS2 level-tech with the integration of some social-features: Lord of Apocalyse is one example of that. YS Sea of Foliage looks around that. In fact the strongest RPG on the Vita atm is Persona 4 The Golden (which is pretty much what I just described). It's not so much as being lazy, but about Japanese developers simply not having the team-sizes, budgets or resources to make AAA-production-value games. The exception being SE who basically has no idea what they are doing,

Not sure why you would wan't to play a jrpg on a hand held the battery life is a huge problem.

noscope-ak47
It's not really so much a choice as a necessity. There simply aren't many JRPG's released on home-consoles (even in Japan). So if you want a deep, long, engaging game, you have to really trade off production values and development costs. At the moment, in spite of deeply enjoying P4G and looking forward to Ys/Zero no Kiseki Evolution, I am not sure that in the long-run it will have strong support. The system has little to no support from SE, which is pretty damning given that SE publishes many games even if it doesn't make them,
ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Monster hunter is not (j)rpg.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Articuno76
[QUOTE="Iblis-Trigger"][QUOTE="psx_warrior"]Your argument is epic fail since there have been a lot of threads here lately wondering where all the jrpgs have gone. I believe I know why, but I'm not going to bother to explain it to you because you are just going to spout off more of your own opinions as fact.psx_warrior

I'm going to do something I don't think I've ever seen anybody on system wars do. I went back and read your comment and compared what you wrote to the comment I wrote, and you're right. My apologies to you. BTW, I'm 39, but I'm just waking up, as in I haven't been out of bed too long. I would like to see more jrpgs myself like they used to be. We had lots of them on ps and ps2 like the Wild Arms games, FF VII-IX, and the like. I think the technology has ruined companies like Squenix because they feel like they gotta push graphics over story and gameplay anymore.

On an aside, I think the issue isn't technology, but rather that SE has not really pushed tech very well. This is just some conjecture here, but I feel that a combination of the Japanese life-time employment system, lack of adoption of new technology and a lack of training have led to the current state of SE's issue with tech. I recall a video where they showed off a system that allowed the characters in FFXIII to lip-synch accurately by painstakingly matching each syllable to a pre-scripted mouth-movement. In other words they exerting a lot of effort and resources that modern-day motion-cap/rendering solutions do mostly automatically. The lifetime employment model in Japan means old-dogs stay set in their ways, using old tech that can't match the demands of making big, modern games. The lack of training means these guys don't learn how to use new tech and the deference to seniority means that that the entire game development as a whole stays routed in old-ineffective tech. SE should have just used an off-the-shelf engine and trained everyone in it instead of spending years making an engine that doesn't even automate some of the most important parts of making an RPG.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nintendo_Ownes7

ghostofzabis

It is an Action Role Playing Game and it is made it Japan it is a JRPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
3DS at the moment. If the PSVita picks up momentum in Sales then it might take over.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

3DS, clearly.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

[QUOTE="ghostofzabis"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Nothing is rpgish about it... no choices & consequences, no stories, no level-up... you get loots and use them to customize equiptments, that's about it. It's like calling Armored core / devil may cry / dynasty warrior a rpg. O_o

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Articuno76

[QUOTE="ghostofzabis"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

To be honest many of the same people who play Monster Hunter also play JRPGs. For that reason, irrespective of what MH might be, the reality remains that where MH goes, so will the development of a load of other RPG titles designed to sell to the same pool of people.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
If we're counting Monster Hunter as a jrpg, can we also count Soul Sacrifice?
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Vita is better for everything
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Does the vita even have any good JRPG's aside from Persona 4 golden? Yeah...
DNAbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DNAbro
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

Vita is better for everythingthemajormayor

except you know, games.

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Vita is better for everything except playing video games, because it has none.themajormayor

Fixed that for ya.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Vita is better for everythingDNAbro

except you know, games.

What are you talking about? PSvita at least have a few games for someone above the age of seven. 3DS is a great toy but garbage handheld. VIta is a decent handheld.
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Well... I had to think about this for a bit. But right now I guess the 3DS because of course they have a bigger lineup (including DS backlog). Vita has some stuff coming out later plus there's an Atlus sale going on PSN right now til the 31st.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

3DS big time.

I'm looking forward to in the genre:

Rune Factory 4

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Code of Princess

Fire Emblem

Bravely Default

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wanderer5

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Vita is better for everythingDNAbro

except you know, games.

Pfft who needs games!:P

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

since the 3ds is region locked, getting jrpg's is gonna be hard.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Both are pretty bad at the moment. But 3DS will have Pokemon 3DS and MH4.
Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

since the 3ds is region locked, getting jrpg's is gonna be hard.

rubedisky

I can't think of one example, please enlighten me on which Jrpgs are not comming to NA.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

First of all, I live in Europe which has a smaller chance of getting JRPG's than NA. Sometimes it just takes years...but I am talking about my psp experiences.

titles which have yet to be confirmed to be released outside japan (correct me if I am wrong):

-bravely default

-rune factory 4

-monster hunter 3

-monster hunter 4

Good thing is we'll get fire emblem. I'd like to have that game.