Which genre do you open mindedly refuse to play?

  • 99 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for aia89
#51 Posted by aia89 (2818 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

What I’m gathering here is that most of you require single player fantasy games with elves in them. But skill based games that require interaction with other human beings are out of the question.

Some of you couldn’t be more niche if you tried

I'm hacking the hell out of human beings in Watch Dogs 2

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#52 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13515 posts) -

Manly badass Fps's like metro and stalker.

Avatar image for plageus900
#53 Posted by plageus900 (2649 posts) -

I don't ignore genres but I don't play certain games, like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

You can keep your triple XP mountain dew weekends.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#54 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25129 posts) -

Usually racers and/or fighters. I can only stand playing them for a couple hours, then it's snoresville.

Although, they are 2nd only to sports games. There's nothing more boring than sports games. I enjoy the more arcade ones like Mutant League Football and Rocket League, but again, they are limited to just a couple hours at most.

Hack and slash games I also find mostly boring. I just find fighting waves upon waves of enemies monotonous. God of War 3, for instance, I could only put 6 hours into before I couldn't do it anymore.

Although, I can do it in Killing Floor 2 no problem... perhaps it's because I enjoy the FPS style more.

Avatar image for heirren
#55 Posted by Heirren (801 posts) -

I could never get into dungeon crawlers, or rpgs that had static grid dungeons.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#56 Posted by xantufrog (11006 posts) -

Doom and Metro. there bad games. Too many girls and dialogue. Also aim mechanic is joke without pong paddle mod like I use for Katamari

Avatar image for schu
#57 Posted by schu (10031 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Anything with people in school uniforms or women looking disoriented for creepy ass reasons

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#58 Posted by lundy86_4 (52323 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

Doom and Metro. there bad games. Too many girls and dialogue. Also aim mechanic is joke without pong paddle mod like I use for Katamari

xantu for best mod lol.

Avatar image for general_solo76
#59 Posted by General_Solo76 (542 posts) -

I avoid anything that involves a constant online connection

Avatar image for Yams1980
#61 Posted by Yams1980 (3368 posts) -

"Roguelike" games, the ones where you die and you lose everything. Not sure why i would ever want perma death and lose all my progress?

Modern day sports games. I liked the old ones on the snes and nes. But the newer ones are time sinks and filled with lootbox hell.

Most online games, especially mobas and online FPS, and battle royal games. Don't want the drama and annoyance of dealing with unstable emotional kids that can't accept losing in a game.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#62 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25129 posts) -
@Yams1980 said:

"Roguelike" games, the ones where you die and you lose everything. Not sure why i would ever want perma death and lose all my progress?

Modern day sports games. I liked the old ones on the snes and nes. But the newer ones are time sinks and filled with lootbox hell.

Most online games, especially mobas and online FPS, and battle royal games. Don't want the drama and annoyance of dealing with unstable emotional kids that can't accept losing in a game.

Most battle royal games allow solo, though, and you can't talk to enemies in a few of them, or voice chat with enemies is defaulted to off.

Avatar image for pmanden
#63 Posted by pmanden (519 posts) -

Puzzle games and walking simulators are boring to me. And for some reason, I have grown tired of one-one-one beat'em ups, which is kind of strange cos I used to play the hell out of Street Fighter 2 and Virtua Fighter.

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#64 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (372 posts) -

I cant play racing games unless its mario kart and even so only with friends.

for some reason racing games mean close to nothing to me while rpg and shooters are my favorites

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#65 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25224 posts) -

I'm burned out on 3rd-person games. It doesn't matter which genre. I haven't bought one since TW3. I have just a small backlog of games, all of them are 3rd-person view games.

Avatar image for knight-k
#66 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@zaryia said:

Movie Games. RIP Playstation.

2D Indie games. RIP PC.

Avatar image for zaryia
#67 Edited by Zaryia (7810 posts) -
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:

Movie Games. RIP Playstation.

2D Indie games. RIP PC.

PC's flagship genre is RTS, TBS, MOBA, and MMO. Not 2D Indie games. PS4 actually has a lot of 2D Indie games as well.

If you take out PCs 2D Indie library it still beats PS4.

Avatar image for knight-k
#68 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:

Movie Games. RIP Playstation.

2D Indie games. RIP PC.

PC's flagship genre is RTS, TBS, MOBA, and MMO. Not 2D Indie games. PS4 actually has a lot of 2D Indie games as well.

If you take out PCs 2D Indie library it still beats PS4.

Hahaha! Pathetic "flagship" genres hermit. Tell me, who won GOTY last year?

How come PC games never win anything? LMFAO, PC "gaming" is a joke without any AAA exclusives.

Avatar image for zaryia
#69 Edited by Zaryia (7810 posts) -
@knight-k said:

Hahaha! Pathetic "flagship" genres hermit. Tell me, who won GOTY last year?

How come PC games never win anything? LMFAO, PC "gaming" is a joke without any AAA exclusives.

You completely changed the topic as to what we were discussing after losing the debate. So I'll one up you, Mr. Second Place,

PC: 424 Total AAAA: 3, AAA: 118, AA: 302

PS4: 318 Total, AAAA: 4, AAA: 92, AA: 223

Avatar image for knight-k
#70 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:

Hahaha! Pathetic "flagship" genres hermit. Tell me, who won GOTY last year?

How come PC games never win anything? LMFAO, PC "gaming" is a joke without any AAA exclusives.

You completely changed the topic as to what we were discussing after losing the debate. So I'll one up you, Mr. Second Place,

PC: 424 Total AAAA: 3, AAA: 118, AA: 302

PS4: 318 Total, AAAA: 4, AAA: 92, AA: 223

Lol you were already owned in the list wars by the other users.


We know you're inflating PC's list with indie garbage that scores high with hipster gaming journalists.

Let's talk about AAA exclusives hermit? Of wait, PC doesn't have any right?


Wut u gonna do hermit? Striking thourgh my post again LMFAO!

Avatar image for R10nu
#71 Posted by R10nu (1486 posts) -

Non-confrontational strategy games like Settlers. It's for people who go "don't attack before 20 minutes" in Starcraft. I understand the appeal, it's just too boring.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I've only played a few hours but the gameplay is way too inconsistent for me. mercurial, even. One match, I die in two minutes. Another match, I last 10 minutes and get four kills. Yet another I walk around and collect all these awesome weapons and but I don't see anyone for 15 minutes until I am ambushed and shot dead.

Complaining about inconsistency in a BR is like complaining about inconsistency in a rougelike.

It's the point of the exercise, chief.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I haven't won any yet but my buddy has and he said he did it with one kill lol.

Wasn't him winning it then. Just 15 minutes ago carried a guy who didn't know how his abilities work. He probably brags to his friends about winning with one kill too.

Avatar image for killerfist
#72 Posted by killerfist (20120 posts) -

Sports games

Avatar image for zaryia
#73 Edited by Zaryia (7810 posts) -
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:

Hahaha! Pathetic "flagship" genres hermit. Tell me, who won GOTY last year?

How come PC games never win anything? LMFAO, PC "gaming" is a joke without any AAA exclusives.

You completely changed the topic as to what we were discussing after losing the debate. So I'll one up you, Mr. Second Place,

PC: 424 Total AAAA: 3, AAA: 118, AA: 302

PS4: 318 Total, AAAA: 4, AAA: 92, AA: 223

Lol you were already owned in the list wars by the other users.

No I wasn't. That "user", singular, was lying and is an alt. He literally was wrong. The numbers I listed above are 100% accurate, straight from GS.

You are a distant second place. PC won this gen so far.

Avatar image for knight-k
#74 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:

Hahaha! Pathetic "flagship" genres hermit. Tell me, who won GOTY last year?

How come PC games never win anything? LMFAO, PC "gaming" is a joke without any AAA exclusives.

You completely changed the topic as to what we were discussing after losing the debate. So I'll one up you, Mr. Second Place,

PC: 424 Total AAAA: 3, AAA: 118, AA: 302

PS4: 318 Total, AAAA: 4, AAA: 92, AA: 223

Lol you were already owned in the list wars by the other users.

No I wasn't. That "user", singular, was lying and is an alt. He literally was wrong. The numbers I listed above are 100% accurate, straight from GS.

You are a distant second place. PC won this gen so far.

PC doesn't even compete in the same race, PC doesn't even have gens.

Lol, PC only won in indie shovelware exclusives. But again, show me all those AAA exclusives hermit?

PS4 won with almost 100 million units sold. Now go back to you shitty steam store so Gabe can rip you off some more hermit.

Avatar image for zaryia
#75 Posted by Zaryia (7810 posts) -
@knight-k said:

PC doesn't even compete in the same race, PC doesn't even have gens.

In the years of Generation 8 PC won. A landslide victory over the next best system, PS4. You are factually second place. Facts > Feelings.

Avatar image for knight-k
#76 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:

PC doesn't even compete in the same race, PC doesn't even have gens.

In the years of Generation 8 PC won. A landslide victory over the next best system, PS4. You are factually second place. Facts > Feelings.

Lol oh really? And how do you quantify this claim? Based on what? If we're talking about AAA exclusives, you know games that are worth playing, I'm sure PC won this gen....LOL but whatever makes you sleep at night hermit.

PS4 won this gen that's a fact. Hell let's make a thread about it on system wars and ask if and how PC won this gen hermit.

Avatar image for neatfeatguy
#77 Edited by neatfeatguy (4251 posts) -

I used to love playing Adventure games back in the day (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, original Sam & Max), but somewhere along the line I didn't enjoy them anymore so I don't play them anymore.

Same with RTS games. I loved Warcraft and Warcraft II, Starcraft, Dune: The Battle for Arrakis (yep, on the good old Sega Genesis) and up through Company of Heroes. Then one day, RTS games just stopped being appealing to me and I haven't played one since.

I do still play some 4x games, like Galactic Civilization II (I have the third game, but I haven't played it yet - too lazy) from time to time - they can still hold my interest.

Battle Royale games - f'ing disgusting. Whiny, bitching little brats or filled with cheaters. I don't want an "all mic" option where I can hear some pre-pube and his high pitched, crying, whining voice because he lost or a cheater killed him.....or someone streaming some shitty music over their mic......These types of games I avoid like the plague. I had my fill with the 20-30 hours put into PUBG - thankfully I didn't buy the game and a friend gifted it to me so all I did was waste my time. I won't play these games anymore.

@joshrmeyer said:

Sports games. I love sports, just not in video game format.

I used to love playing FIFA Soccer on the Sega Genesis years and years ago. My friend and I would spend hours playing the game. We'd generally stomp the crap out of the computer, but to make it harder we'd start the game and earn as many red cards as we possibly could so we'd be fewer players than the computer controlled team.

Avatar image for zaryia
#78 Edited by Zaryia (7810 posts) -
@knight-k said:
@zaryia said:
@knight-k said:

PC doesn't even compete in the same race, PC doesn't even have gens.

In the years of Generation 8 PC won. A landslide victory over the next best system, PS4. You are factually second place. Facts > Feelings.

Lol oh really? And how do you quantify this claim?

PS4 won this gen that's a fact.

PC: 424 Total AAAA: 3, AAA: 118, AA: 302

PS4: 318 Total, AAAA: 4, AAA: 92, AA: 223

But anyway, back ontopic: I do not like movie games RIP PS4's main flagship genre.

Avatar image for robbie23
#79 Posted by Robbie23 (277 posts) -

Massive online multiplayer games and anything PVP.

Avatar image for lady_aijou
#80 Posted by Lady_Aijou (24 posts) -

For me it would be Battle Royale and Moba, the atmosphere is too tense, and it's just not the type of games I enjoy

Avatar image for robbie23
#81 Posted by Robbie23 (277 posts) -

@general_solo76: Me too, Single player games for the win.

Avatar image for ni6htmare01
#82 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3711 posts) -

Racing.. Do not like them at all.

Avatar image for avenger85
#83 Edited by avenger85 (194 posts) -

Battle royal games I just can’t get into. Apex legends I can tolerant but the entire time I would rather just go play Titan fall 2.

JRPGs and most open world games also, just not my cup of tea.

Avatar image for FinalFighters
#84 Posted by FinalFighters (3105 posts) -

i dont play:

  • RTS
  • Sports games
  • Battle Royal games
  • RPG/JRPG
  • Simulator games
Avatar image for voljin1987
#85 Posted by voljin1987 (1063 posts) -

Dating sims. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why there is such an influx of shitty dating sims on steam.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#86 Posted by lamprey263 (35973 posts) -

MMOs, not that I think that I won't like them, I am more worried I will like them and my time will be devoted to being someone who grinds all day. I like playing a lot of the new games and others I missed but still trying to get a chance to play, I'll have to cut a lot of that out if I get addicted to an MMO.

Also, free-to-play, never been all that interested in any of that, even the big titles. Though, a few titles have caught my eye, just never bothered. Even with all this talk about Apex Legends, it just made me want to go back to Titanfall instead.

Avatar image for m_machine024
#87 Posted by m_machine024 (15828 posts) -

Racing sims

Avatar image for jackamomo
#88 Posted by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

Pretentious indy games like Stanley Parable that invite you to try to understand what mysterious philosophical point the developer is trying to make or pretending to have.

Average indy platformers which are banking on you viewing them as authentic because they have pixel art. Owl Boy.

Final Fantasy clones banking on you being so enamoured that they made an old fashioned style game that you will presume they are making it for the love of making games, not to cash in on nostalgia. Watermelon.

Avatar image for jackamomo
#89 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Oh, and how do you refuse to play something with an open mind?

I took it to mean 'on principle'.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#90 Posted by mojito1988 (3473 posts) -

I thought that it was Battle Royale for me, then I tried Tetris 99 and I'm hooked!

Avatar image for Postosuchus
#91 Posted by Postosuchus (611 posts) -

Another +1 for Movie "games." I appreciate a good well crafted story, but if I have to wade through a bunch of mediocre, tedious, or downright bad, super linear gameplay to see it then what's the point? It's just there as filler to pad out the time. If I'm getting as much or more enjoyment out of watching a let's play, then it has failed as a video game.

Avatar image for tocool340
#92 Posted by tocool340 (21344 posts) -

There isn't any genre that I consciously refuse to play. However, certain real-simulation type games tend not to be at the very top of my to buy list due to them being so technical and not something you can pick up and play...

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
#94 Posted by madsnakehhh (16393 posts) -

Battle Royals ... i just don't understad the appeal ... this may change with Tetris 99 ... i still need to play this, will probably try it out later today.

Avatar image for Vatusus
#95 Edited by Vatusus (9265 posts) -

Its not that I "refuse" to play them just because, I really gave a chance to BR and didnt like it. I'm not a competitive person by nature so it must be because of that. I find most MP games boring after 30 min of the same mind-numbing gameplay over and over again

RTS is another genre I gave a chance and didnt like but for opposite reasons. I find them very overwhelming. I'm sure that after surpassing that learning curve there is a great genre to be discovered but I just dont have the patience anymore for dozens of tutorials and systems to be aware of. FTL for example, was just frustrating to play cause the systems were just excruciatingly difficult to learn.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#96 Posted by Boddicker (4458 posts) -

Sports: Just the same shit year after year with minor improvements.

JRPG: Do I even need to give a reason?

RTS: I used to love the genre, but now my old brain just can't keep up.

Stealth: Has there ever been a good AI in a stealth game? I'm really asking.

Avatar image for sleepnsurf
#97 Posted by sleepnsurf (3119 posts) -

JRPG, Movie games, Fetch quest games.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#98 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79247 posts) -

Sports games, squad-based shooters, online only games.

Avatar image for sweet6teen
#99 Posted by Sweet6teen (16 posts) -

JRPG is a genre I can't bother looking into. Over-sexualized and pre-teen girls isn't my cup of tea.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#100 Posted by PC_Rocks (1879 posts) -

Racing, Sports, Interactive Movies.