Which genre do you open mindedly refuse to play?

• 92 results
#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (30648 posts) -

What genres do you purposefully ignore and refuse to indulge in?

#2 Posted by Fedor (3998 posts) -

Hentai games.

#3 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8783 posts) -

RPG. easily worst gaming genre ever.

foucs on crappy dialogues more, always have bad gameplay mechanics, level up, etc

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#4 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27953 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

foucs on crappy dialogues more, always have bad gameplay mechanics, level up, etc

I'd say it's JRPG's. Too much grinding. Awful dialogue. Trite stories that depend on teenage angst.

#5 Posted by Litchie (23069 posts) -

I'd say BR, but I had to try them out to find out I hate them.

#6 Edited by Ghosts4ever (8783 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I'd say it's JRPG's. Too much grinding. Awful dialogue. Trite stories that depend on teenage angst.

yeah JRPGs too. they are just too animu and girlish.

#7 Posted by Zaryia (7307 posts) -

Movie Games. RIP Playstation.

#8 Edited by jaydan (1827 posts) -

It's not that I purposely ignore certain genres of games, but there are definitely types of games that I am not fond of and least likely to indulge in.

Sports games, Rockstar(-esque) open world games, card games, walking simulators, point-and-click adventures - all tend to be games that don't catch my interest.

#9 Edited by Jacanuk (17641 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: MOBA´s , Battle Royal, JRPG, Nintendo games and 2d indie games.

I just can´t play those games and even though I tried for a bit it´s just mind-blowingly dull.

#10 Posted by brimmul777 (3947 posts) -

Puzzle games.

#11 Posted by BlackBalls (1499 posts) -

Ignore, none. I like games, not the genre. I do however dislike generic war FPS's like COD and BF. I understand why people like them, but I honestly can't get into them like at all.

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43017 posts) -

If APEX Legends is a good battle royale game, I don't think I really like battle royale lol. I've only played a few hours but the gameplay is way too inconsistent for me. mercurial, even. One match, I die in two minutes. Another match, I last 10 minutes and get four kills. Yet another I walk around and collect all these awesome weapons and but I don't see anyone for 15 minutes until I am ambushed and shot dead.

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Yeah, haven't found any that I can stomach.

I love RPG's of all kinds...DnD RPG's, action-RPGs, even strategy/tactical-RPG's...just don't like JRPGs.

#13 Posted by freedomfreak (50915 posts) -

Sports games. The serious ones, and the silly ones don't come around so often anymore. Stuff like SSX Tricky, Fifa Street, NBA Street. I miss those.

RTS, also, but I just can't get into that. I liked Company of Heroes. That was cool.

#14 Edited by DaVillain- (34311 posts) -

Sport games only!

@fedor said:

Hentai games.

Okay, I don't like BB but now, I'm rooting for him now!!!!

#15 Posted by Fedor (3998 posts) -

@davillain-: Lol, I didnt say they shouldn't exist, just I don't play them.

#16 Posted by aia89 (2794 posts) -

I'm not very keen of fantasy rpg games with weird characters, environments and creatures, magic and all sorts of special effects, because they're way too far off from reality. I can never feel immersed in those worlds, neither can I possibly be interested in the narrative.

I much prefer playing mindless platform/arcade or action/adventure games with some real life basis so I can feel part of that world.

I also dislike FPS's based on war or post apocalyptic scenarios.

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18234 posts) -

Mutliplayer games in general.

#18 Posted by jeezers (2254 posts) -

BR and QTE heavy (david cage)

#19 Edited by Telekill (8287 posts) -

I don't do online competitive only or FPS games in general.

#20 Posted by sealionact (3470 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: JRPGs. Awful dialogue, mostly laugh inspiring translation, bizarre spiky haired doe eyed heroes, and repetitive gameplay.

"Huh? You disrespect the jrpg genre? Prepare for battle!"

"Huh! I am ready for you! For honour!"

#21 Posted by Zidaneski (8776 posts) -

Pure horror games. Games with plenty of jump scares, grotesque creatures, torture, screaming, and dark themes. Closes I came to one of these types of games was PT.

#22 Posted by djoffer (1038 posts) -

Battle royal games, sport games and in general I have a hard time with sci fi games, except when it is FPS games! In general I like high fantasy a lot more than science fiction

#23 Edited by Litchie (23069 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

If APEX Legends is a good battle royale game, I don't think I really like battle royale lol. I've only played a few hours but the gameplay is way too inconsistent for me. mercurial, even. One match, I die in two minutes. Another match, I last 10 minutes and get four kills. Yet another I walk around and collect all these awesome weapons and but I don't see anyone for 15 minutes until I am ambushed and shot dead.

Yup. BR just isn't very good. I think it has a place as a mode in a multi-player game. But a whole game centered on that? How can you not get bored after a few plays? Had it been one of other modes in a MP game, that's probably what I'd play the least. I've played about 8 matches and have won 3 of them. It wasn't really fun to win either, and I don't feel like continuing at all.

The game being just a stripped down Titanfall in a BR mode makes pretty annoyed with GameSpot's 9/10..

#24 Edited by Sevenizz (2793 posts) -

JRPGs, WRPGs, movie/story/qte heavy games, indis, fantasy/middle earth, and sports titles come to mind of genres I don’t play.

Oh, and whatever those Souls games are considered. 3rd person hack n’ slash? Yea, I don’t care for those either.

#25 Posted by DaVillain- (34311 posts) -

@fedor said:

@davillain-: Lol, I didnt say they shouldn't exist, just I don't play them.

Fair enough. The anime fan get's the better of me :P

#26 Posted by DocSanchez (5082 posts) -

Very rarely play sports games. I like sports in real life but playing the same thing over and over with so little progression just bores me senseless.

#27 Posted by Archangel3371 (26907 posts) -

I don’t think there are any genre of games that I just straight up avoid playing but there are some that I don’t play very often. For instance I rarely play sports games but I do enjoy playing hockey and golf games from time to time.

#28 Posted by dalger21 (2098 posts) -

BR. Never garnered much interest from me.

#29 Edited by Enragedhydra (1034 posts) -

I'm not a huge fan of jrpgs, the only one I enjoyed was Golden Sun on the GBA, nor MMO's

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#30 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (3841 posts) -
@fedor said:

Hentai games.

Yeah, same. I don't even want to indulge.

#31 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14846 posts) -

Can't get into third person hack n slash games for some reason (Bayonetta for example). Don't like mashing keys in random order to see different colorful combos/effects throughout the game. Very few hack n slash games interest me (Darksiders).

#32 Posted by SOedipus (11272 posts) -

MOBAs, battle royal, sports, racing, puzzle, indie.

#33 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30153 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Sports games. The serious ones, and the silly ones don't come around so often anymore. Stuff like SSX Tricky, Fifa Street, NBA Street. I miss those.

RTS, also, but I just can't get into that. I liked Company of Heroes. That was cool.

Everyone likes Company of Heroes

You can't not like Company of Heroes, unless you are a robot

It's the turing test

#34 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2074 posts) -

Sports games and the same generic FPS's that get carbon copied every year

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (36201 posts) -

Turn based JRPGs, Quantic Dream, Life is Strange type crap.

#36 Edited by Speeny (1090 posts) -

FPS believe it or not. I think the only FPS game I ever put time into was Halo CE. That & sports games.

#37 Edited by TheEroica (18218 posts) -

I feel like saying never is a bad idea, so I don't flat out refuse anything... I really don't enjoy the pace of RTS games...

#38 Posted by warmblur (1491 posts) -

Almost anything that isn't AAA single player game.

#39 Edited by pdogg93 (1307 posts) -

I’m not a fan of the mediocre genre of games MS pumps out like SoT and state of decay.

Other than Forza I find their offerings seriously lacking in polish. Bargain bin games to pad their Netflix style gaming platform is all they are. Crackdown 3 will be their latest offering

#40 Posted by Macutchi (6527 posts) -

not a genre but mobile games. yuck

#41 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20359 posts) -

Primarily stealth, survival horror, and any non-strategy game that revolves around resource management.

#42 Posted by blackthundajaw (39 posts) -

Mobile games regardless the genre

Competitive Online multiplayer regardless the genre (I was playing GTA online as a single player with co op play)

Sports games (wrestling would be the sole exception but the last one I played was in 2006)

MMO: way too much grind

#43 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10244 posts) -

Sports games. I love sports, just not in video game format.

#44 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43017 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yup. BR just isn't very good. I think it has a place as a mode in a multi-player game. But a whole game centered on that? How can you not get bored after a few plays? Had it been one of other modes in a MP game, that's probably what I'd play the least. I've played about 8 matches and have won 3 of them. It wasn't really fun to win either, and I don't feel like continuing at all.

The game being just a stripped down Titanfall in a BR mode makes pretty annoyed with GameSpot's 9/10..

Yeah I haven't won any yet but my buddy has and he said he did it with one kill lol.

It's just too much chance and odds; I won't say there is no skill involved, it just seems too random is all.

#45 Edited by Mandzilla (3243 posts) -

Feel I'm fairly open minded to pretty much every genre, but battle royale games... ughh. I've tried, I really have tried to get into them but something just feels off whenever I've played one. Like I'd rather be playing any other game instead.

Maybe I just suck.

#46 Posted by sakaiXx (4808 posts) -

Battle royale, first person shooter, platformers like mario, 4x strategy, mobile game.

#47 Posted by VagrantSnow (144 posts) -

Fighting games and sport games. I don't dislike them. I can have fun with them but they just don't hold my interest very long so I never really bother with them.

Battle Royale I just don't find fun. I've tried a few and they're all a bit boring.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#48 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2654 posts) -

What I’m gathering here is that most of you require single player fantasy games with elves in them. But skill based games that require interaction with other human beings are out of the question.

Some of you couldn’t be more niche if you tried

#49 Posted by Mandzilla (3243 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Elves > humans.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#50 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2654 posts) -

Oh, and how do you refuse to play something with an open mind?