When a 360 exclusive, goes to the PC is it really an "exclusive lost"?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rappid_rabbit
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

I mean strictly console speaking...of course it is..

But I mean most games are played on Windows OS PC and we all know what software company runs thats OS.

So if Gears of War published and paid for in part by Microsoft..gets ported over to Windows...which is well published and paid for by Microsoft, is it really an exclusive lost?

Its all kind of staying "in-house" so to speak.

This goes for Lost Planet and other "also available on PC" games.

Its like when GTA VCS and LCS got ported over from PSP to the PS2...I didnt count that as an "exclusive lost" for the PSP

Hermits and Lems shouldnt really argue about exclusive being lost to each other, as they kind of both end up gracing the same companies platform (Microsoft).

I think in terms of consoles its much more painful for PS3 "losing an exclusive" to the 360...then the 360 "losing an exclusive" to the PC

Please dont bother bringing up Linux and Mac OS's for PC gaming because we all know most games being played on a PC are being played on a Windows OS.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. Anybody else picking up "300" for Blu-ray and or HD-DVD? (Im getting the HD-DVD version because I heard it supported better extra features, but both versions will be amazing in HD)

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Short answer: Microsoft does not own the PC platform. So yes. Shorter answer: yes. More than one platform = multiplat.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
MS doesn't recieve any money for software made on their OS. It's an open platform, and anybody can make any software they want far it, so long as it is not illegal (and even then the government steps in, not MS).
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
yes Hermits can laugh at lemmings. cows and sheep get no bragging rights. but hermits do.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Repeated for emphasis... Microsoft does not own PC gaming.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Short answer: Microsoft does not own the PC platform. So yes. Shorter answer: yes. More than one platform = multiplat.Vandalvideo
Indeed. There is no need to debate this.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Why complicate things?

Multiplat = Multiplatform.

Whats a game you can play on more than one system? A multiplat. Its as simple as that. Welcome to System Wars, not Console Wars.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

technically yes.

But in reality it doesnt matter much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-61ff675e61178
And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.
bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 bindip
Member since 2005 • 2585 Posts
If its games for windows or vista only........then no.
If it can only work on a MS OS then no.
If none of them above then yes
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Despite the commonly held belief that Microsoft owns the PC, it isn't really anchored in fact.

I mean, look at how Microsoft interact with developers on the Xbox 360. They charge licensing fees and require them to conform to certain software standards.

Contrast this with the PC, where Games for Windows is not only optional, but Microsoft is actually subsidising developers to come onto the system. Their trying to attract them to it.

It's also becoming increasingly that Windows is not always required to run PC games, although it's by far the most convienient OS for gaming, there are work arounds for MAC and Linux OS.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JPOBS

And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.makingmusic476
Well it depends.

Majority of gamers play exclusively on console. So in most cases, its still a valid reson to buy 360.

hermits like to pretend the pc is a bigger market than it accually is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

wait i have a question now. what about microsoft published games. like Halo, Gears, etc that end up on PC. they get money for that obviousaly at least i think so. So there still making money on Gears PC.

TheBigDrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheBigDrat
Member since 2006 • 744 Posts
is MS publishing the PC Version? If they are, does it really matter which platiform it's for? They'd still be raking in the cash from it
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 smokeydabear076
Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.Deihmos
Gears of War 2 is not going to be at e3 Epic already said this and you have windows live so what happens when you get an achievement in that compared to when you get an achievement on the 360?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Danm_999

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.JPOBS

Well it depends.

Majority of gamers play exclusively on console. So in most cases, its still a valid reson to buy 360.

Microsoft themselves estimate it at about 200 million.

You realize that's bigger than the userbases of the PS2, Xbox, GameCube, 360, PS3 and Wii combined?

rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rappid_rabbit

Why complicate things?

Multiplat = Multiplatform.

Whats a game you can play on more than one system? A multiplat. Its as simple as that. Welcome to System Wars, not Console Wars.

XaosII

Actually I feel PC gamers have it the best out of everybody, I mean to me some of the most entertaining games like RTS can only be played effectivly on the PC and its just...well better.

But I dont understand why hermits and cows make such a big deal out a 360 exclusive going to the PC...360 exclusive going to PS3...thats news.

Im not arguing that MS owns the PC platform, just that with their new strategy they seem to want to integrate both platforms (Games for Windows and Windows Live)...I dont think its a good idea but thats what they are pushing for.

legalize3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 legalize3
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

exclusive means not found on any other platform...

and besides microsoft does NOT own the pc platform they own the OS

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
is MS publishing the PC Version? If they are, does it really matter which platiform it's for? They'd still be raking in the cash from itTheBigDrat
Thats not the qusetion at hand though. The question at hand is if it is stil exclusive. It is not. Period.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 smokeydabear076
is MS publishing the PC Version? If they are, does it really matter which platiform it's for? They'd still be raking in the cash from itTheBigDrat
The fact is that it can be experienced on another system and not only on one.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Danm_999

wait i have a question now. what about microsoft published games. like Halo, Gears, etc that end up on PC. they get money for that obviousaly at least i think so. So there still making money on Gears PC.

jg4xchamp

Making money and an exclusive for a console sort of serve different ends. If you have an exclusive game on your console, you as the gamer benefits. If the company that makes your console is getting publishing royalties, that really doesn't make your console any more valuable, so I can't see how that's held up as a positive.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.Danm_999

Well it depends.

You realize that's bigger than the userbases of the PS2, Xbox, GameCube, 360, PS3 and Wii combined?

I've heard the same estimates but i dont think they are a reality. Besides, pc game sales are slumping and have been for years now.
lotr_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 lotr_2003
Member since 2003 • 2096 Posts
If it's a game for windows, then its a no because it's part of the live everywhere by microsoft...aka...Shadowrun!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.JPOBS

Well it depends.

200 mil. last I heard. Is that not big enough for you?

Btw, I'm equal parts Cow/Hermit/Sheep. I haven't bought a 360 because I have a great dislike for MS and because I can get most of the 360's games on another platform (even the supposed "console excsluvies").

NATATO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 NATATO
Member since 2004 • 498 Posts

Yes. Exclusives are games you can only play on one platform.

game comes out for another platform, it is no longer an exclusive.

Doesn't degrade the actual game, just degrades your bragging rights.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.smokeydabear076
Gears of War 2 is not going to be at e3 Epic already said this and you have windows live so what happens when you get an achievement in that compared to when you get an achievement on the 360?

It could be downloadable content. On Tuesday we will find out.

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts

Short answer: Microsoft does not own the PC platform. So yes. Shorter answer: yes. More than one platform = multiplat.Vandalvideo

microsoft owns windows and its made for windows, so its still exclusive for them if you buy it, your still supporting microsoft

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 smokeydabear076
If it's a game for windows, then its a no because it's part of the live everywhere by microsoft...aka...Shadowrun!lotr_2003
That has nothing to do with its exclusivity. It can be experienced on two different systems.
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Nope its just moving from one MicroSoft platform to another

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

Well it depends.

I've heard the same estimates but i dont think they are a reality. Besides, pc game sales are slumping and have been for years now.

WoW alone has over 8 mil. accounts, and then when you factor in all of the many other genres on the PC...

How many CS:Source servers are there running every day? UT2K4? How many avid RTS fans are there (like me)?

PC gaming is a very large market.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Short answer: Microsoft does not own the PC platform. So yes. Shorter answer: yes. More than one platform = multiplat.Riki101

microsoft owns windows and its made for windows, so its still exclusive for them if you buy it, your still supporting microsoft

Which holds no bearing on the actual discussion at hand. Windows is not the platform. The PC is the platform. Windows is the operating system. If we use your logic, I guess its also an Epic, Valve, Creative, Kingston, AMD, INTEL, Nvidia, etc platform. The software does not determine the platform. It is multi-plat. It is not exclusive. Microsoft does not own the PC platform.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.Deihmos

I think it will be DC and it will be included on the PC version of Gears from the start. You do know that Gears of War is coming to the PC don't you?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
microsoft owns windows and its made for windows, so its still exclusive for them if you buy it, your still supporting microsoftRiki101

It is a good thing Blizzard (and some other devs) makes all of its games for Windows and MAC now isn't it? You know, Blizzard, the company that brought us World of Warcraft, the MMORPG with nearly 9 million users.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

Well it depends.

So you don't think the estimates are a reality? Base that on anything? You realize they need to be wrong by about 90% in their estimate for your opinion to hold water (ie, that they've overestimated the PC userbase by about 190+ million for consoles to match it).

And no, PC game sales haven't been slumping because they've shifted to unrecordable formats. The NPD has no way to track how many games are being sold through Steam and Direct2Drive (and since Steam has 13 million members, I'm thinking a lot). The NPD has basically admitted it can't keep a track of PC games and it's records are not a good trend recording.

Nor do we have much of a gauge how things are around the world (ie, outside the US).

And in actuality, these figures have risen the past year.

So your argument has no stock.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Short answer: Microsoft does not own the PC platform. So yes. Shorter answer: yes. More than one platform = multiplat.Riki101

But they don't recieve and money from the games. Also, not all games are strictly made for Windows. The games are not actually helping MS at all.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smokeydabear076

Yes. Exclusives are games you can only play on one platform.

game comes out for another platform, it is no longer an exclusive.

Doesn't degrade the actual game, just degrades your bragging rights.

NATATO
Too bad people can't grasp this idea.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.makingmusic476

Well it depends.

WoW alone has over 8 mil. accounts, and then when you factor in all of the many other genres on the PC...

How many CS:Source servers are there running every day? UT2K4? How many avid RTS fans are there (like me)?

PC gaming is a very large market.

Yes a very large market for those games that have been out what....years? that doesnt change the fact that pc gaming as a whole with the exception of a few note worthy games have been on a decline. this is a simple fact.

sure, certain select games have big fanbases. Big deal. Console games sell millions to.

rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rappid_rabbit

exclusive means not found on any other platform...

and besides microsoft does NOT own the pc platform they own the OS

legalize3

I dont know why some of you are commenting that "MS does NOT own the PC platform"...only ignorant fools believe this..nowhere in my original post did I say this. So stop bringing this up...nobody is suggesting this

I was talking directly about games such as Halo...Gears...games that MS has paid for and their strategy to combine the two platforms...

Please dont take it the wrong way, as I dont think MS is doing the right thing by trying to combine the two platforms the way they are doing...(PC online gaming should be FREE)

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Danm_999

Yes a very large market for those games that have been out what....years? that doesnt change the fact that pc gaming as a whole with the exception of a few note worthy games have been on a decline. this is a simple fact.

sure, certain select games have big fanbases. Big deal. Console games sell millions to.

JPOBS

You've not based your argument on anything but your opinion. How is it "simple fact"?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.smokeydabear076

I think it will be DC and it will be included on the PC version of Gears from the start. You do know that Gears of War is coming to the PC don't you?

I know it will come eventually just like Halo 2. Don't think it will be anytime soon though.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.Deihmos

That is gears of war 1 for the PC how hard is that to understand, watch it again, it has the PCs ACHIVEMENT UNLOCKED symbol in the centre less than half-way through.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Danm_999

Making money and an exclusive for a console sort of serve different ends. If you have an exclusive game on your console, you as the gamer benefits. If the company that makes your console is getting publishing royalties, that really doesn't make your console any more valuable, so I can't see how that's held up as a positive.

oh no no. thats not my question. its just everybody said microsoft wouldnt make money on those games going to PC. so i was wondering if they still get money for Gears PC. thats all. ill admit its a loss of exclusive. i said that in my first post.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]And the whole point of exclusives is that they are a reason to buy a specific platform over another. THis is System Wars. It's alla bout console sales, right? Ifa 360 exclusive games suddenly appears on the pc, it's one less reason to buy a 360.Danm_999

Well it depends.

So you don't think the estimates are a reality? Base that on anything? You realize they need to be wrong by about 90% in their estimate for your opinion to hold water (ie, that they've overestimated the PC userbase by about 190+ million for consoles to match it).

And no, PC game sales haven't been slumping because they've shifted to unrecordable formats. The NPD has no way to track how many games are being sold through Steam and Direct2Drive (and since Steam has 13 million members, I'm thinking a lot). The NPD has basically admitted it can't keep a track of PC games and it's records are not a good trend recording.

Nor do we have much of a gauge how things are around the world (ie, outside the US).

How can you say that we have no way of recording any pc sales, and then go on to say "the figures have risen in the past year"? doesnt seem to make sense.

And like i said, if there were 200 million avid pc gamers thats fine, its just that those sales dont show through in the market. If we are going to argue untracable pc sales then this arguement will go nowhere.

But by and large, consoles seem to have more million sellers on a regular basis. now if you want to argue the invisible sales through teh steam and teh D2D then This ends here.

Avatar image for FlamingFlamingo
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FlamingFlamingo
Member since 2005 • 1287 Posts

Repeated for emphasis... Microsoft does not own PC gaming.foxhound_fox

They may not OWN it, but developers are almost forced to develop thier games on a Windows OS, and MS is trying to find a way to have a larger role in PC gaming with "Games for Windows".

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]Microsoft also makes PC games and they also promote Games for Windows. The gears of War video shown is more than likely Gears of War 2 for 360 and not the PC. On tuesday everyone will find out but I am sure GOW will be released on PC eventually just like Halo.Deihmos

I know it will coem eventually just like Halo 2. Don't think it will be anytime soon though.

We shall see.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

jg4xchamp

oh no no. thats not my question. its just everybody said microsoft wouldnt make money on those games going to PC. so i was wondering if they still get money for Gears PC. thats all. ill admit its a loss of exclusive. i said that in my first post.

Oh well, depends if they publish it.

I don't know if they will publish the PC version, I can see equal cases for both answers there.

legalize3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 legalize3
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

intel owns a good portion of the pc platform

amd owns a good portion of the pc platform

nvidia does ati microsoft dell, i can go on and on and on

MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN THE PC PLATFORM ITS A OPEN PLATFORM...

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

Well it depends.

How can you say that we have no way of recording any pc sales, and then go on to say "the figures of risen"? doesnt seem to make sense.

And like i said, if there were 200 million avid pc gamers thats fine, its just that those sales dont show throw in the market. If we are going to argue untracable pc sales then this arguement will go nowhere.

But by and large, consoles seem to have more million sellers on a regular basis. now if you want to argue the invisible sales through teh steam and teh D2D then This ends here.

what invisible sales?

Steam has 13 million users......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-61ff675e61178

JPOBS

Yeah, because Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Command & Conquer 3, the Lord of the Rings Online, etc. etc.have been out for years. :roll:

Just wait until Spore and Crysis come out. ;)