What will be the next generation defining game in your opinion?

• 80 results
Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I would say Avowed, Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI, and GOW2 show the most promise of "Damn, this is gonna be soooo good!" but none of them have any actual gameplay trailers to go off of and they're all years (or half a decade) away from release, so It's just guessing and wishful thinking at this point.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

Ill consult my future telling device. It tells me the next gen defining game will be titled SackOden202. Requesting detailed information, it told me "naw, don wanna spoil anything".

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#54 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19563 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Games don't feel generation defining anymore. When we jumped from 8-bit to 16-bit to 3D to GC/XBOX/PS2, there were huge differences in both how games played and looked. Now my PC games just slowly and constantly become better looking. Seems to be the same with PS/Xbox. And my second gaming device after PC is from Nintendo, which are 1-2 gens behind hardware wise.

Games are stale. Something big needs to happen. Bigger than Alyx. Definitely not a slightly better looking God of War. And not a BotW2 either.

@Jag85 said:

BOTW was the generation-defining game of last gen. It was revolutionary.

But BOTW 2 isn't revolutionary, but more evolutionary. So I doubt it would be generation-defining like BOTW was.

Right? I can get that, Nintendo figured out a way to do open world fun. Not sure how BotW2 could be considered generation defining..

Deathloop is innovative. nothing like deathloop happened to FPS genre before.

What's so innovative about Deathloop?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

Right now it's Alyx. People who haven't played it can't appreciate what it accomplished.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Games don't feel generation defining anymore. When we jumped from 8-bit to 16-bit to 3D to GC/XBOX/PS2, there were huge differences in both how games played and looked. Now my PC games just slowly and constantly become better looking. Seems to be the same with PS/Xbox. And my second gaming device after PC is from Nintendo, which are 1-2 gens behind hardware wise.

Games are stale. Something big needs to happen. Bigger than Alyx. Definitely not a slightly better looking God of War. And not a BotW2 either.

@Jag85 said:

But BOTW 2 isn't revolutionary, but more evolutionary. So I doubt it would be generation-defining like BOTW was.

Right? I can get that, Nintendo figured out a way to do open world fun. Not sure how BotW2 could be considered generation defining..

I guess there aren't many games that play like Deathloop, but "innovative"? Deathloop is basically Dishonored in a different format.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

We're well past the point of diminishing returns when it comes to graphics. Every generation going forward is going to have less and less significance over the previous. Remember that big leap from SNES to N64? Yeah, those big leaps in technology are long gone. Now generations just sort of blend together. There is nothing that's going to signify some kind of defining point.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#58 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24933 Posts

@Litchie said:
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

@Jag85 said:

I guess there aren't many games that play like Deathloop, but "innovative"? Deathloop is basically Dishonored in a different format.

Dishonroed was not FPS. in case of deathloop there no FPS done like this before. plus having time loop elements where you die and loop restart.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#59 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19563 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Dishonroed was not FPS. in case of deathloop there no FPS done like this before. plus having time loop elements where you die and loop restart.

Time loops have been done before in video games, dating back to YU-NO and Zelda: Majora's Mask in the late '90s. But it hasn't been done before in FPS, as far as I know.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Honestly, after everything we've seen announced for the next gen systems since their inception... it seems the upcoming reboot of Saints Row defines this new generation very well... disappointing.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Whatever it might be, it sure as hell won't be on the Switch, a system with specs on par with my AA battery charger.

Most certainly gonna be from Sony, they're always the ones that put effort. Even right now, they have the best animations in the whole industry (tlou2), the best facial expressions (tlou2), the best visuals (Ratchet), the best particle effects (Returnal), the best voice acting (tlou2, gow), etc, etc. This is making hermits so mad. Their 3090 is irrelevant, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Specs are the reason BOTW2 won't be the best?🤭

But specs aside, a Sony game will be better than anything on PC?

Your logic is twisted.

Nintendo makes better games than Sony. BOTW2 will be better than anything Sony can produce.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38921 Posts

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Whatever it might be, it sure as hell won't be on the Switch, a system with specs on par with my AA battery charger.

Most certainly gonna be from Sony, they're always the ones that put effort. Even right now, they have the best animations in the whole industry (tlou2), the best facial expressions (tlou2), the best visuals (Ratchet), the best particle effects (Returnal), the best voice acting (tlou2, gow), etc, etc. This is making hermits so mad. Their 3090 is irrelevant, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Specs are the reason BOTW2 won't be the best?🤭

But specs aside, a Sony game will be better than anything on PC?

Your logic is twisted.

Nintendo makes better games than Sony. BOTW2 will be better than anything Sony can produce.

Why are you talking about a late 2023 title😂Let me remind you that we're in 2021.🤦‍♂️

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No idea, this gen is only at its infancy.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

PC has won almost every year for GFX-King for the last 10 years at DF, and contains a majority of runner ups for this entire period. This most importantly includes 2020 and the Gen8 winner according to DF. This year remains to be completed, but PC will likely win again by the end of 2021 as it typically does.

Have fun fighting a far distant 2nd or 3rd place in GFX while playing the worst looking and running version of 99% of releases. Low settings and low fps, this is your home. Know your place.

Silver and Bronze aren't so bad!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Elden Ring will be generation defining, for sure.

The only thing that could top it is...

The Last of Us: Part III.

Of course.

Or perhaps whatever Kojima has in planned next.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

PC has won almost every year for GFX-King for the last 10 years at DF, and contains a majority of runner ups for this entire period. This most importantly includes 2020 and the Gen8 winner according to DF. This year remains to be completed, but PC will likely win again by the end of 2021 as it typically does.

Have fun fighting a far distant 2nd or 3rd place in GFX while playing the worst looking and running version of 99% of releases. Low settings and low fps, this is your home. Know your place.

Silver and Bronze aren't so bad!

Nice try, but you need to try harder, hermit. Talk to me when any pc exclusives approaches Ratchet in visuals. Won't happen for years. Nobody puts effort in pc exclusives because they don't sell nowhere near enough for it to be worth it. Consoles is what's leading the industry, and Sony is the best on production quality. You can always beg for Ratchet to come to pc. It might happen by 2028.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:

exclusives

I liked how you had to move the goalpost to exclusives when I mentioned the fact PC won the most years at DF and won last gen as undisputed GFX KING, trouncing your sad little TLOU2 namedrop (PC beat TLOU2 easily in 2020).

Teehee. Hey man don't worry, I'm totally rooting for you to get that Silver Medal vs XBOX!

@hardwenzen said: Consoles is what's leading the industry,

You mean putting the far better version of 99% of their games on PC since PC has the most players and revenue of any system. Or always leading in new gfx hardware and features that get used in subsequent consoles (only the shittier version).

Hey speaking of the video games industry, why are 99% of video games worse on PS5? They run slow and look worse, I laughed when I played it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

exclusives

I liked how you had to move the goalpost to exclusives when I mentioned the fact PC won the most years at DF and won last gen as undisputed GFX KING, trouncing your sad little TLOU2 namedrop (PC beat TLOU2 easily in 2020).

Teehee. Hey man don't worry, I'm totally rooting for you to get that Silver Medal vs XBOX!

You mean putting the far better version of 99% of their games on PC since PC has the most players and revenue of any system. Or always leading in new gfx hardware and features that get used in subsequent consoles (only the shittier version).

Hey speaking of the video games industry, why are 99% of video games worse on PS5? They run slow and look worse, I laughed when I played it.

How is Ratchet, Bloodborne, GoW, etc are running on pc?🤭At zero fps. The new pc benchmark.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

Metroid dread, goty.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Probably next AC game, Last AC unity launched this gen forwards.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Zaryia

@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

exclusives

How is Ratchet, Bloodborne, GoW, etc are running on pc?🤭At zero fps. The new pc benchmark.

PC had around 100 more high scoring games than PS, the vastly superior looking/running version of 90%+ of video games that were/are on PS, and was/is GFX KING over PS.

I'm good brah.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

exclusives

PC had around 100 more high scoring games than PS, the vastly superior looking/running version of 90%+ of video games that were/are on PS, and was/is GFX KING over PS.

I'm good brah.

Why do you keep lying to yourself?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:

I'm good brah.

Digital Foundry is lying?

Anyway have fun with half my FPS and lower settings than me for nearly every video game. All while DF gives PC the win for most years, including the Gen8 winner (watch their 2020 videos).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:

I'm good brah.

Digital Foundry is lying?

Anyway have fun with half my FPS and lower settings than me for nearly every video game. All while DF gives PC the win for most years, including the Gen8 winner (watch their 2020 videos).

You know what other half you didn't mention? My system cost compared to just your one computer component🤭Who am i kidding, the ps5 is probably three times cheaper than any decent gpu. Great investment🤷‍♂️

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hardwenzen: Pssst...he's a mobile gamer. 😂 And his PC is a bucket of old broken parts, time to move on from that troll.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 hardwenzen

@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: Pssst...he's a mobile gamer. 😂 And his PC is a bucket of old broken parts, time to move on from that troll.

No wonder he is always salty. Stuck playing games on Low🤷‍♂️

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:

My system cost compared to just your one computer component🤭Who am i kidding, the ps5 is probably three times cheaper than any decent gpu.

So, am I supposed to care? Hell my pc-gaming chair literally costs 2x than a PS5, price isn't an issue. If you want the best experience you typically pay more. This goes for any product. Welcome to real life?

DF Face-Off usually gives the win to PC for most multiplats and most overalls, crying about prices doesn't change this.

@vfighter said:

Don't make me obliterate you, liar.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hardwenzen

@zaryia: Okay mobile gamer😭

Zaryia

Forum Posts