What will be the next generation defining game in your opinion?

• 80 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

This gen has been great, lots of great games in the pipeline, but what will be the first game to define this generation? The one game that comes to mind is Breath of the Wild 2. This is Nintendo's baby, the one franchise that they really can't screw up (but are capable of doing so). Presumably, it will come out with the next Switch, although Nintendo has stated a 2022 release date, so who knows what's going on lol.

What say you, SW? What will be the next generation defining game in your opinion?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

For me, it could end up being Instinction but time will tell. I hold Ghost of Tsushima as the PS4 gen's defining game and it came out at the end of the gen. The defining game for the new systems probably hasn't even been announced or maybe even begun development.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

The next Zelda game isn't next gen. At the moment, no game or company has shown anything that is close to generation defining at the moment.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Deathloop. it will be innovative and genre defining game. After that prob Stalker 2.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2503 Posts

Whatever it will be, it hasn't been announced yet. Way too soon in the gen for anything coming soon to be labeled as that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Sorry but this is too early to tell as this gen is still in it's infant stage. I wasn't WOW on BOTW2 anyway and what I called "next generation defining game" either.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I haven't seen anything of that caliber, yet.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts

Whatever it might be, it sure as hell won't be on the Switch, a system with specs on par with my AA battery charger.

Most certainly gonna be from Sony, they're always the ones that put effort. Even right now, they have the best animations in the whole industry (tlou2), the best facial expressions (tlou2), the best visuals (Ratchet), the best particle effects (Returnal), the best voice acting (tlou2, gow), etc, etc. This is making hermits so mad. Their 3090 is irrelevant, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Next generation? We won't see anything of that caliber until... next generation.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen

@shadyacshuns said:

Next generation? We won't see anything of that caliber until... next generation.

Yes we will, it will be made by Sony, and most likely by ND. What's your opinion about it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@hardwenzen said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Yes we will, it will be made by Sony, and most likely by ND. What's your opinion about it?

Cinematic games are not "next gen defining" games. Game mechanics and design are more important, along with originality and creativity. Simply making a game with good graphics in an open world, ala Ubisoft formula isn't ground breaking in the least.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58838 Posts

@jaydan said:

I haven't seen anything of that caliber, yet.

Agree.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Forza Motorsport.

As GT is cross gen, FM is going to be the first racing game built from the ground up for current gen.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8186 Posts

@gym_lion: yeah I was about to say the same thing, probably going to be Forza. I just see it showing off the newest tech in the best way.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Final Fantasy VII Part 2.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

Maybe GOW2? Not sure tbh, it’s kind of hard to really see the differences between this gen and the last so fare!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@shadyacshuns said:

"Gen-defining" and a Naughty Dog production in the same sentence is such an oxymoron at this point.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Whatever lame ass thing becomes trendy and takes the place of Battle Royale.

There wasn't much good that could be considered generation defining recently. Minecraft? CoD? Fortnite?

You'd probably have to back to the N64 / PS1 with something like SM64 , Ocarina, MGS1 or FF7. Maybe Halo.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#19 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

The Witcher 3 did it last gen and I have not seen any game yet that will have that kind of impact.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Destiny 1 defined the generation microsoft + halo needs bungie bad

I never heard anyone talk about halo 4/5

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@BassMan said:

The Witcher 3 did it last gen and I have not seen any game yet that will have that kind of impact.

The Witcher 3.....😂🤣

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

I guess my answer is this: the game that defines the generation will be the one that defies it existing trends and it successful.

A game that isn't AAA yet sells AAA volume; a game that doesn't try to nickel-and-dime their customers with microtransactions or "services"; a game that is released whole and polished and doesn't break any promises; a game that is multiplayer-focused but doesn't feel compelled to have a BR mode.

That's what I'd like to see, at least. Gaming is stuck in a rut; we have good games, but I feel like I haven't seen a great game in years. Last truly great game that legit blew me away and impressed me and made me say "This is why I play games" was HL Alyx.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@BassMan said:

Witcher 3 and BoTW defined last gen to me, similarly I have yet to see anything wow this much since then.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

If Squadron 42/star citizen is actually formally released AND delivers on its promise it could very well be gen defining.

Big if i know :P.

thats the closest i can think of anyway. nothing else demonstrated really shouts "NEW GENS HERE!!! LOOOK AT IT!!!!!".

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@shadyacshuns said:
@hardwenzen said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Cinematic games are not "next gen defining" games. Game mechanics and design are more important, along with originality and creativity. Simply making a game with good graphics in an open world, ala Ubisoft formula isn't ground breaking in the least.

So you're describing Returnal? Glad you like it, i like it too. Now that Housemarque has Sony budget, they will create an unmatched next generation masterpiece. Where can you play it? On a Playstation 5 and a Playstation 5 O N L Y.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@jaydan: Nice opinion, dude. Wish i had as many as you do.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

God of War 2. Just wait for it

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

BOTW was the generation-defining game of last gen. It was revolutionary.

But BOTW 2 isn't revolutionary, but more evolutionary. So I doubt it would be generation-defining like BOTW was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@hardwenzen: Well, when that happens my man, I'll gladly pick one up.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@shadyacshuns said:

@hardwenzen: Well, when that happens my man, I'll gladly pick one up.

But who said you deserve to own a PS5, tho? Don't think for a second that you can bash the shit outta Sony on SW, and find a PS5 on sale. You will never have one, its the cold truth.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jaydan
@hardwenzen said:

Opinions are for those that have a brain that they actually use.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Opinions are for those that have a brain that they actually use.

Unless they're coming off of you ass😭

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4209 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I guess my answer is this: the game that defines the generation will be the one that defies it existing trends and it successful.

A game that isn't AAA yet sells AAA volume; a game that doesn't try to nickel-and-dime their customers with microtransactions or "services"; a game that is released whole and polished and doesn't break any promises; a game that is multiplayer-focused but doesn't feel compelled to have a BR mode.

That's what I'd like to see, at least. Gaming is stuck in a rut; we have good games, but I feel like I haven't seen a great game in years. Last truly great game that legit blew me away and impressed me and made me say "This is why I play games" was HL Alyx.

Exactly. That’s why I always planned on my backlog being huge. Not only does it save me money, it also saves me when gaming is in a rut and I’m no interested in “modern” gaming so to speak.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Nothing yet.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

I'll go with, Perfect Dark. :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

RDR3. RAGE engine is the only thing video game related thing that can still impress me. Hopefully, it'll have that same passion and not the soulless GTAV shit.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

The next God of War.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34570 Posts

Games don't feel generation defining anymore. When we jumped from 8-bit to 16-bit to 3D to GC/XBOX/PS2, there were huge differences in both how games played and looked. Now my PC games just slowly and constantly become better looking. Seems to be the same with PS/Xbox. And my second gaming device after PC is from Nintendo, which are 1-2 gens behind hardware wise.

Games are stale. Something big needs to happen. Bigger than Alyx. Definitely not a slightly better looking God of War. And not a BotW2 either.

@Jag85 said:

But BOTW 2 isn't revolutionary, but more evolutionary. So I doubt it would be generation-defining like BOTW was.

Right? I can get that, Nintendo figured out a way to do open world fun. Not sure how BotW2 could be considered generation defining..

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

I'm going to say Black Myth ... not because they are doing something that different but because if the game is a hit they could show the world that AAA games can be made outside the usual publishers and it could open the way for a new player, China, in terms of big mainstream games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

It was NBA 2K20 for $70 with microtransactions.

Welcome to the next generation of triple-A-for-ass-hole monetization.

......jokes aside....

What is this new generation of consoles all about, anyway? We finally got SSDs, but that was really a gen later than it should have been. We got Ray Tracing, tho these current-gen consoles aren't really ready for prime time yet. I expect we'll see a mid-gen upgrade to keep up with ray tracing on PC.

I'd say a truly generation-defining game would have to be something like Cyberpunk 2077, but you know if it had come out in 2023 instead of 2020, with all the missing systems and features. What it was 'supposed' to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It has to be something that gives you the freedom to really test the limits of the engine and explore, but all while seamlessly streaming in assets no matter how far or fast you go. It has to have an impeccable ray tracing implementation and expertly crafted material textures. On top of all that the game should scale well across all modern platforms, thus demonstrating the devs mastery of their engine and graphics APIs.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Probably not in sales, but Elden Ring if it lives up to the hype.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@Litchie said:

Games don't feel generation defining anymore. When we jumped from 8-bit to 16-bit to 3D to GC/XBOX/PS2, there were huge differences in both how games played and looked. Now my PC games just slowly and constantly become better looking. Seems to be the same with PS/Xbox. And my second gaming device after PC is from Nintendo, which are 1-2 gens behind hardware wise.

Games are stale. Something big needs to happen. Bigger than Alyx. Definitely not a slightly better looking God of War. And not a BotW2 either.

@Jag85 said:

Right? I can get that, Nintendo figured out a way to do open world fun. Not sure how BotW2 could be considered generation defining..

Deathloop is innovative. nothing like deathloop happened to FPS genre before.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Elden Ring and Starfield look like the next games with gigantic potential... we shall see

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Excited for BoTW 2 for sure, but not really "next gen" imo.

I have yet to see anything in development that truly screams "next gen" to me.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I mean, it's not something that you'll see coming most of the time. Tends to be a title that blows up out of nowhere. Often times a new IP, sometimes a sequel that uses an existing franchise to cut a completely new path.

Not sure why some are hinging this on technical aspects or "next gen" shit either. The recipe is usually a game with fresh takes on design that also goes on to garner mass appeal. When you look at generation defining games of the past, a lot of them weren't exactly technical marvels. Of the few that were, was just icing on the cake.

And finally, the "it's too early" takes. Nah. A lot of generation defining games happened early on in their respective generations. Again, comes down to some novel design approach. This can happen any time.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

There are so many great games coming out these days, that i don't thing there will be a defining one. There will be amazing indies, amazing AAAs, fantastic sequels, VR will get even better, etc, etc.

To answer the question, one particular game that i would love to see on consoles (once/if it gets finished) would be Star Citizen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@enzyme36 said:

Elden Ring and Starfield look like the next games with gigantic potential... we shall see

Excited for both, but what's so next gen about them? STALKER2 and the Chinese Sekiro game feel more next gen than anything currently announced.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7220 Posts

Black myth wukong.