What were the best romantic relationships in gaming?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

This year I played three games that have in their center a man/woman relationship, Ico (never had the chance to play it before), Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. Granted, the relationships are very different, but they have one thing in common. None have a romantic component in it. Each one is a different case, but for one reason or another you never see the pair as a romantic couple.

And that got me thinking, what good examples of romance we have in gaming? I had some thoughts but I really want to see what you guys come up with.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
Bionic Commando and his arm-wife.
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts
Sora and Kairi! :P
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

The player and lara crofts ass.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Honestly, all of them kind of suck in one way or another, or it's usually for the purpose of revenge because the broad died. Guybrush and Elaine are the only two I thought really worked as their banter was endearing, without either of those 2 characters being super cliche.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Final Fantasy IX - Dagger + Zidane

Everything else is wrong

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

John and River from To The Moon

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
June and Junpei from 999, not even close. I did like this one other one but forgot it while posting.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blabadon
Oh yeah, Ico for what it's worth, even at a basic metaphorical level.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

BPoole96
Yes, yes, yes. We agree on something.
hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
Second ICO, I'd put Shadow in there as well.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

This year I played three games that have in their center a man/woman relationship, Ico (never had the chance to play it before), Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. Granted, the relationships are very different, but they have one thing in common. None have a romantic component in it. Each one is a different case, but for one reason or another you never see the pair as a romantic couple.

And that got me thinking, what good examples of romance we have in gaming? I had some thoughts but I really want to see what you guys come up with.

padaporra

I applaud you for making an interesting/different topic.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

:cry:

In all seriousness, I'd say Rufus and Goal from Deponia.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

tagyhag
I need to play that
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

My Sims.

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
Sora and Kairi! :PInfinite_Access
Hmm.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

BPoole96

This x100

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

tagyhag
The Darkness was such a good game.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp
^Top tier loading screens
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts
The Prince and Farrah (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time)
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blabadon
Although its build-up was quite mundane story-wise due to freedom of gameplay paths, Prince of Persia 2008 had a pretty cool ending that did a solid job at building a relationship. Then The Epilogue f*cked it up.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

pelvist

This x100

Had to post this. Remember the game, and shed some man tears. Its okay. :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Although its build-up was quite mundane story-wise due to freedom of gameplay paths, Prince of Persia 2008 had a pretty cool ending that did a solid job at building a relationship. Then The Epilogue f*cked it up.

Agreed
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
- Cornelius and Velvet from Odin Sphere. A little cliche but incredibly endearing. - The Prince and Elika from Prince of Persia (2008). It's more about the developing of the relationship than the relationship itself. - Wander and Mono from SotC. Wander's devotion to his dead partner is unshakeable, and incredibly moving throughout the length of the game. - Heather Poe and the Player in VtMB. Not so much romantic, but a very deep relationship nonetheless.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blabadon
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]- Cornelius and Velvet from Odin Sphere. A little cliche but incredibly endearing. - The Prince and Elika from Prince of Persia (2008). It's more about the developing of the relationship than the relationship itself. - Wander and Mono from SotC. Wander's devotion to his dead partner is unshakeable, and incredibly moving throughout the length of the game. - Heather Poe and the Player in VtMB. Not so much romantic, but a very deep relationship nonetheless.

I want so badly to say SotC as well, but I think Mono's really just a plot point. Ico was their relationship game, SotC was their bond with the environment and inflection on moral actions game. All opinions of course. I did write a short story once akin to SotC's plot with a little more emphasis on the girl.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Although its build-up was quite mundane story-wise due to freedom of gameplay paths, Prince of Persia 2008 had a pretty cool ending that did a solid job at building a relationship. Then The Epilogue f*cked it up.

I couldn't even reach the epilogue,lol. The game bored me to tears.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blabadon
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Although its build-up was quite mundane story-wise due to freedom of gameplay paths, Prince of Persia 2008 had a pretty cool ending that did a solid job at building a relationship. Then The Epilogue f*cked it up.

Epilogue was DLC THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN MY EYES And yeah, the game is pretty hit-or-miss with its gameplay and endearing simplicity. For me, it's the embodiment of being relaxed and immersed in a world, but one with platforming elements. For others, I can easily see it being boring. In my opinion, it's more of a game to play on the side of a main game for when that one gets too dull or high-strung. Did that with Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Although its build-up was quite mundane story-wise due to freedom of gameplay paths, Prince of Persia 2008 had a pretty cool ending that did a solid job at building a relationship. Then The Epilogue f*cked it up.

Epilogue was DLC THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN MY EYES And yeah, the game is pretty hit-or-miss with its gameplay and endearing simplicity. For me, it's the embodiment of being relaxed and immersed in a world, but one with platforming elements. For others, I can easily see it being boring. In my opinion, it's more of a game to play on the side of a main game for when that one gets too dull or high-strung. Did that with Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.

Question, what did you guys think of the Prince of Persia movie?
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

BPoole96
This. Also Sam and Lonnie from Gone Home.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] I couldn't even reach the epilogue,lol. The game bored me to tears.bbkkristian

It is an abomination and shouldn't exist, same goes with most game movies.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 padaporra

Second ICO, I'd put Shadow in there as well. hoplayletsplay

Well, SoTC really didn't have a relationship, just the woman that is there. It's kind like Mario is that point.

About To The Moon, I might get this game in a near future. 

lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

James Sunderland and Mary in Silent Hill 2

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 padaporra

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Epilogue was DLC THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN MY EYES And yeah, the game is pretty hit-or-miss with its gameplay and endearing simplicity. For me, it's the embodiment of being relaxed and immersed in a world, but one with platforming elements. For others, I can easily see it being boring. In my opinion, it's more of a game to play on the side of a main game for when that one gets too dull or high-strung. Did that with Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.rjdofu

But, but, sir. It has Gemma Arterton! 

About PoP, Sands of Time relationship was pretty cool. I believe it's a good example. The 2008 one I did not play yet. Is it worth it? 

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] I couldn't even reach the epilogue,lol. The game bored me to tears.bbkkristian

Probably the best VG film since Mortal Kombat I. In fact, I'd argue it's BETTER than Mortal Kombat.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 padaporra

Anyway, I'm surprised no one mentioned RPGs here. The first relationship that came to my mind is Revan/Bastilla in KoTOR. It was very well done and beautiful. 

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rjdofu

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Epilogue was DLC THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN MY EYES And yeah, the game is pretty hit-or-miss with its gameplay and endearing simplicity. For me, it's the embodiment of being relaxed and immersed in a world, but one with platforming elements. For others, I can easily see it being boring. In my opinion, it's more of a game to play on the side of a main game for when that one gets too dull or high-strung. Did that with Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.nintendoboy16

Probably the best VG film since Mortal Kombat I. In fact, I'd argue it's BETTER than Mortal Kombat.

Silent hill is probably only good game movie that I can think of atm.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I want so badly to say SotC as well, but I think Mono's really just a plot point. Ico was their relationship game, SotC was their bond with the environment and inflection on moral actions game. All opinions of course. I did write a short story once akin to SotC's plot with a little more emphasis on the girl.

I've read countless discussions about Wander and Mono's relationship and "who" they were. Brother/sister? Father/daughter? Etc? The only one that makes sense, given Wander's quite literally near-fatal (on countless occasions) devotion to her is pretty much a no-brainer. He stole the sacred sword, entered the "forbidden lands", called upon a dormant deity whom was sealed away indefinitely... just to bring her back to life. The only reason he would do this is out of a romantic devotion. A heavily idealized romantic devotion, but romantic nonetheless.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Question, what did you guys think of the Prince of Persia movie?rjdofu

Really? I haven't seen it, but I thought public opinion was that it was sucked.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

Anyway, I'm surprised no one mentioned RPGs here. The first relationship that came to my mind is Revan/Bastilla in KoTOR. It was very well done and beautiful. 

padaporra
I disagree. Much like the majority of the Mass Effect (Femshep and Kaiden in the first game notwithstanding) romances, it was extremely one-dimensional. It was nice, but nothing spectacular.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Question, what did you guys think of the Prince of Persia movie?padaporra

But, but, sir. It has Gemma Arterton! 

About PoP, Sands of Time relationship was pretty cool. I believe it's a good example. The 2008 one I did not play yet. Is it worth it? 

Gemma Arterton was very mediocre in that movie besides the pretty face, and Jake didn't even try. I feel no chemistry between the characters. POP2008 is good for the first 2 hours, I'll give it that. Pretty world, lovable character, fun combat (for 5 minutes). As soon as I realize you're pretty much doing the same shit in all regions, I quit.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

padaporra
FFIX. Seriously, dafuq?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox
Really? I haven't seen it, but I thought public opinion was that it was sucked.bbkkristian
It was incredibly atmospheric. I'm sure hardcore fans of the series could find all kinds of problems with it, but it had all the tension that to me would define the survival-horror genre at the time. The first time I saw it in theaters it really creeped me out.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Probably the best VG film since Mortal Kombat I. In fact, I'd argue it's BETTER than Mortal Kombat.bbkkristian

Just try it sometimes when you're free, I think it's underrated; personally I rate that movie 7/10.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 foxhound_fox
POP2008 is good for the first 2 hours, I'll give it that. Pretty world, lovable character, fun combat (for 5 minutes). As soon as I realize you're pretty much doing the same shit in all regions, I quit.rjdofu
Then you played it for the wrong reasons. It was more an experience than a game. It also required an unhealthily high knowledge of Zoroastrianism to full appreciate.
Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Hershel Layton and Claire from Professor Layton Unwound Future. It's simple but very emotional.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rjdofu
[QUOTE="Basinboy"][QUOTE="padaporra"] FFIX. Seriously, dafuq?

+1, I like the relationship btw heroes/heroines in most FF
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]POP2008 is good for the first 2 hours, I'll give it that. Pretty world, lovable character, fun combat (for 5 minutes). As soon as I realize you're pretty much doing the same shit in all regions, I quit.foxhound_fox
Then you played it for the wrong reasons. It was more an experience than a game. It also required an unhealthily high knowledge of Zoroastrianism to full appreciate.

The thing is, I feel like I've experienced the whole thing after the first few hours of the game.
lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Probably the best VG film since Mortal Kombat I. In fact, I'd argue it's BETTER than Mortal Kombat.

bbkkristian

Ehh, they captured the esscense of the town very good, as a standalone movie its decent enough(worth a watch), if you are a fan of the games, you naturally pick it apart a lot more. But i agree for movies based on games, the first Silent Movie is about as good as it has gotten.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 foxhound_fox
The thing is, I feel like I've experienced the whole thing after the first few hours of the game.rjdofu
Then you missed out on one of the most poignant endings in gaming last gen.