What is a Hardcore game to you

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

A game with hard difficulty or that requires a high level of skill.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Difficult games that no one else plays. :P

TheBatFreak777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#53 TheBatFreak777
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

I tend to look at the question more regarding gamers not games. In this regard, I would say that hardcore gamers are those who have a high amount of patience to play games on the harder difficulties and/or who will spend the time to really complete all the sidequests, get the platinum, etc.

I finish nearly every game I purchase but I would not necesarily say I'm a hardcore gamer because I don't, in general, spend tons of time playing the most punishing difficulties and I could care less about getting all the achievements. Some games I'll obviously do more in than others but I'm not consistent in this.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

It's a game, that at its core, is hard.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#55 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
IDK, the word "hardcore" lost its meaning when I surfed the internet for the first time :P.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
to me, Hardcore games is * Game is not easy to play, * Gameplay is full of technical/mechanism * Non gamers, wussy girls, girlie girls, soccermoms, children and fancypants are not into such games that require mind-bending skills * teen to M ratingshippiesanta
I dont agree with that, I dont believe a game has to be T or M to be Hardcore I believe an E game can be hardcore not many of them are but there are some out there such as some RPG's.
Burnt_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Burnt_Brains
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts

A game about ponies and unicorns that no one will ever play.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Games that make you think and adapt rather than instant gratification.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Technically any game can be casual or hardcore, depending on how much the person plays it. But my general idea is where casual are quick pick up and play mini games like angry birds and facebook games. While my favorite games like Tales of games, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mass Effect, The witcher and so on require much more time and are more complex than simple pick up and play games. I guess to sum it up casual games usually revolve around mini games and very simple game machanics, while hardcore games usually require many hours, and have more complex gameplay i guess. Yknow, this is really hard to try and put into words lol.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
To me hardcore games are games that have great competitive play with a big following like Starcraft 2, Street Fighter 4 and DotA because the level of play is relatively higher than other games.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Games that require a considerable effort to learn how to play them. (stretegy, simulators, old-school RPGs, etc.)

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, Putt-Putt, and Lego Island.

Jolt_counter119

I love lego island. wish they would go back to it :(

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
theres no such thing as a hardcore game. such a stupid label
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#65 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

A game that can suck you in, has lots to do (but this can be in many different forms) and won't wear out its welcome anytime soon. I think that an M rating means nothing as far as being Hardcore goes. Kirby is just as hardcore as other M rated titles.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

For me a hardcore game has to have a one or more of these:

High difficulty level

Complex gameplay/rules/mechanics

High learning curve/barrier to entry

I swear there's more but hey I just woke up. Anyways that to me makes a hardcore game, as a casual game is:

Low difficulty level

Simple gameplay/rules/mecanics

Low to non existent learning curve/barrier to entry

One appeals to gamers that are into the hobby more seriously and one appeals to gamers who casually likes gaming. This does not mean a gamer that takes the hobby "seriously" will play hardcore games. This also does not mean playing both hardcore and casual games makes you casual. To me its just a label that shows what the audience the game was made for.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 turtlethetaffer

High difficulty level

I swear there's more but hey I just woke up. Anyways that to me makes a hardcore game, as a casual game is:

Low difficulty level

One appeals to gamers that are into the hobby more seriously and one appeals to gamers who casually likes gaming. This does not mean a gamer that takes the hobby "seriously" will play hardcore games,. This also does not mean playing both hardcore and casual games makes you casual.

Yangire

So games like Mario, Dead Space, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and others are casual because they are easy to pick up and play?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

I don't know..Maybe a game with a steep learning curve.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

High difficulty level

Low difficulty level

One appeals to gamers that are into the hobby more seriously and one appeals to gamers who casually likes gaming. This does not mean a gamer that takes the hobby "seriously" will play hardcore games,. This also does not mean playing both hardcore and casual games makes you casual.

turtlethetaffer

So games like Mario, Dead Space, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and others are casual because they are easy to pick up and play?

Yep, besides some of the early Mario games and fan levels. Something can be pick up and play but still be very challenging.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

High difficulty level

Low difficulty level

Yangire

Yep, besides some of the early Mario games and fan levels. Something can be pick up and play but still be very challenging.

cod is
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts
Any game that isn't made by Nintendo.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

High difficulty level

Low difficulty level

Yangire

Last I ckecked, Mario games are usually pretty challenging, as well as Dead Space on higher difficulties, and Zelda (in the form of puzzles) and Final Fantasy is usually pretty challenging.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 turtlethetaffer

Any game that isn't made by Nintendo.Ikouze

So that latest Sesame street game is hardcore?

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

turtlethetaffer

Last I ckecked, Mario games are usually pretty challenging, as well as Dead Space on higher difficulties, and Zelda (in the form of puzzles) and Final Fantasy is usually pretty challenging.

Games that you find challenging and games that are very challenging are two different things.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

Yangire

Games that you find challenging and games that are very challenging are two different things.

So tell me what are some challenging games then? Have you played FFIV on DS? That game is pretty damn tough.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 layton2012
Any game that isn't made by Nintendo.Ikouze
SO your implying that Just Dance 2 is hardcore. Try to hide your anti-nintendo hate, its brutally obvious.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

turtlethetaffer

So tell me what are some challenging games then? Have you played FFIV on DS? That game is pretty damn tough.

Ketsui (full playthrough), Wizardry IV, a lot of roguelikes, if we're counting difficulty levels Baroque (PS2) on hard, Metal Slug 3, 7th Saga, hell most Raizing and CAVE SHMUPs even more if your trying to score high, those all come to mind quickly.

I could go into more games if you want, however I didn't want to make a list. Also Final Fantasy games can provide a lot of challenge when someone challenge games, how about a solo white mage run on FF1?

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

Yangire

Ketsui (full playthrough), Wizardry IV, a lot of roguelikes, if we're counting difficulty levels Baroque (PS2) on hard, Metal Slug 3, 7th Saga, hell most Raizing and CAVE SHMUPs even more if your trying to score high, those all come to mind quickly.

I could go into more games if you want, however I didn't want to make a list. Also Final Fantasy games can provide a lot of challenge when someone challenge games, how about a solo white mage run on FF1?

I remember Baroque...by far the most challenging game I've ever played on my Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

for me it is any game with an actual difficulty.

Basicly Hardcore games have ben pretty much None existant this gen, except for the titles who held on to past glory (and often proved the best).

In my world the Super mario games ARE hardcore, they are ALOT harder and unforgiving then random peashooter nr.468.

Hardcore games also tend to go thier own way, not caring about the mainstream user base, those games are made by the devs, for people like the devs. This is not a rule tho it just happens to be that way.

And the game MUST rely on the players own skill! This can NOT be stressed enough, any game that helps, give help messages, helps with jumping, aiming or other handholding are by definition NOT hardcore.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

for me it is any game with an actual difficulty.

Basicly Hardcore games have ben pretty much None existant this gen, except for the titles who held on to past glory (and often proved the best).

In my world the Super mario games ARE hardcore, they are ALOT harder and unforgiving then random peashooter nr.468.

Hardcore games also tend to go thier own way, not caring about the mainstream user base, those games are made by the devs, for people like the devs. This is not a rule tho it just happens to be that way.

And the game MUST rely on the players own skill! This can NOT be stressed enough, any game that helps, give help messages, helps with jumping, aiming or other handholding are by definition NOT hardcore.

Maddie_Larkin

You haven't played very many video games this gen.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Games made by the adult industrie.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

I have always wondered this what is a Hardcore game to you? Is it a game with an M rating, a game with blood, guts, and sex, or IMO it is a game with a large following and decent amount of hype when coming up on release.So for example since Mario games have a large amount of hype around release I consider it a hardcore game.

layton2012

That is a decent answer actually but let me ask you this. A game like GTAIII didn't have much of a following coming into release did it therefore become a hardocore game only after it grew a large following?

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

peterw007

I remember Baroque...by far the most challenging game I've ever played on my Wii.

I agree, I for some reason only try to play it on hard and it just destroys me.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]

I have always wondered this what is a Hardcore game to you? Is it a game with an M rating, a game with blood, guts, and sex, or IMO it is a game with a large following and decent amount of hype when coming up on release.So for example since Mario games have a large amount of hype around release I consider it a hardcore game.

greenskittles

That is a decent answer actually but let me ask you this. A game like GTAIII didn't have much of a following coming into release did it therefore become a hardocore game only after it grew a large following?

In my opinion yes, but only because I believe Hardcroe should not be defined as mature or M Rated but this is ofcourse my opinion. Sorry for bumping.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Dark Souls

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#87 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

A game that requires much time and skill to play.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

games that have buttsecks.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Something you can't pick up and play for 10 minutes?....

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

games that have buttsecks.

Celtic_34

lol wut

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#91 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Any game I play a lot.
Skreltch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Skreltch
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

The term hardcore has absolutely nothing to do with the rating of a game....sigh. It has to do with competition, challenge, and skillcap. Ninja Gaiden was hardcore cause it was hard, Dark Souls is hardcore, Starcraft is the most hardcore game ever. The pro players in SC on television in Korea have the highest skillcap of any gamer on the planet easily, what they do in that game is almost inhuman and they practice 8-12 hours a day, thats hardcore.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Any game I play
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#94 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

IMO, there are hardcore gamers, not games. It depends on how you play it, and how much time you invest in it.starjet905

I never thought about it that way but it makes sense.

I_Dunno_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 I_Dunno_U
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

A game that is easy to learn and hard to master.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

Dark Souls. That is all.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#97 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

usually something that requires skills that can't be gained in about 1 minute or less. Not because of bad controls but because of subtle and or complex controls with a great deal of depth that isn't always transparent.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
hardcore is describing a player not a game, same with casual,
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

layton2012

For me? Nope. The hardcore games for me are X-Plane 9 and FSX. Both are E-rated. At the hardest settings, even merely taking off (and trying to trim the aircraft) can be a challenge, esp with X-Plane 9.

Skreltch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Skreltch
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

there is no "to you" about it, a hardcore game IS a game like Starcraft that requires immense skills and a full life dedication to compete at the highest level. That is the definition of a hardcore game.