What is a Hardcore game to you

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

I have always wondered this what is a Hardcore game to you? Is it a game with an M rating, a game with blood, guts, and sex, or IMO it is a game with a large following and decent amount of hype when coming up on release.So for example since Mario games have a large amount of hype around release I consider it a hardcore game.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Randomness. That's what a hardcore game is to me.

Games that are 100% predictable in gameplay can never be truly hardcore in my eyes.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

A game that has depth. A game that can't be beaten in 6-8 hours.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#4 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Randomness. That's what a hardcore game is to me.

Games that are 100% predictable in gameplay can never be truly hardcore in my eyes.

peterw007
yep pretty much this.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bigboi500

I have always wondered this what is a Hardcore game to you? Is it a game with an M rating, a game with blood, guts, and sex, or IMO it is a game with a large following and decent amount of hype when coming up on release.So for example since Mario games have a large amount of hype around release I consider it a hardcore game.

layton2012

I don't see a correlation between popularity and being "hardcore". Mario is both hardcore and casual because it appeals to all kinds of people. Some want quick pick-up-and-play sessions and others want the harder to reach missions and secret worlds challenges.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 peterw007

[QUOTE="layton2012"]

Bigboi500

I don't see a correlation between popularity and being "hardcore". Mario is both hardcore and casual because it appeals to all kinds of people. Some want quick pick-up-and-play sessions and others want the harder to reach missions and secret worlds challenges.

I would argue that Mario isn't hardcore, as the level and gameplay design are completely predictable.

The enemies are going to be in the exact same places every single time...

---

That doesn't mean it can't be hard or challenging...it's just not hardcore.

Hardcore is unpredictability.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

To me hardcore games are the ones that appeal most to me. And that ranges from games that are colorful to games that are gray. Hardcore to these forum goers are just FPS's. I like variety in the games I play to just red and gray.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Call of Duty.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#9 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
there are no hardcore games, any game can be hardcored!
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WllDan7

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"]

peterw007

I would argue that Mario isn't hardcore, as the level and gameplay design is completely predictable.

---

Most of the "hardcore core" games are predictable. Call of duty for example, shoot, kill, explosion, then jump on multiplayer. What is unpredictable about that.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
No such thing.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 layton2012

I wouldnt disagree with you, I agree that gameplay design is completely predictable in sidescrolling Mario games but IMO the gameplay and level design in at least the first Galaxy was not entirely predictable. By the way Mario was just an example I believe Mario is both casual and Hardcore to me he may be hardcore but i understand your view as why he isnt. What game IYO is unpredictable I consider games like Uncharted to be unpredictable but IMO no ordinary shooter by your standards can be considered harcore

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 peterw007

Most of the "hardcore core" games are predictable. Call of duty for example, shoot, kill, explosion, then jump on multiplayer. What is unpredictable about that. WllDan7

Well I think many of the conventional definitions are wrong.

But Call of Duty multiplayer (and any free-roaming multiplayer) is hardcore because you don't know what your opponent is going to do next.

You have to train to prepare for any situation...

With non-hardcore games you can just repeat the same thing over and over and over and get through the level eventually.

With hardcore games...if you don't have the skill, you will never beat the level.

...Then again, you could argue that COD gives you so many perks that even somebody who doesn't have any skill can still be very successful.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Something around Devil May Cry 3 level difficult and up is hardcore to me. It's the kind of game that made Greg Kasavin cry.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Something engrossing. Something engaging. Something entertaining.

Oh wait, that's just what I like in my games, not hardcore. Are we sure they aren't the same thing?

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, Putt-Putt, and Lego Island.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Any game that you can continually develop skill at. Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, etc. Games in that vein.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WllDan7

[QUOTE="WllDan7"]Most of the "hardcore core" games are predictable. Call of duty for example, shoot, kill, explosion, then jump on multiplayer. What is unpredictable about that. peterw007

Well I think many of the conventional definitions are wrong.

But Call of Duty multiplayer (and any free-roaming multiplayer) is hardcore because you don't know what your opponent is going to do next.

You have to train to prepare for any situation...

With non-hardcore games you can just repeat the same thing over and over and over and get through the level eventually.

With hardcore games...if you don't have the skill, you will never beat the level.

So you are saying that all sports games are hardcore?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"]

peterw007

I would argue that Mario isn't hardcore, as the level and gameplay design are completely predictable.

---

I don't agree that a game has to be unpredictable to be hardcore...it just has to have depth and offer more than just a quick-play and casual experience. Any game that requires dedication and patience to master is a hardcore game imho.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

RATED M!

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/3/32759-209241-maturejpg-620x.jpg

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peterw007

I don't agree that a game has to be unpredictable to be hardcore...it just has to have depth and offer more than just a quick-play and casual experience. Any game that requires dedication and patience to master is a hardcore game imho.

Bigboi500

How do you qualify "depth?" What is "depth?"

You said that in order to be hardcore, it must not be casual.

Well how do you define "casual?"

-

Also, how much "dedication and patience" it requires to master a game is dependent on the person. Some people are masters of a game immediately.

Suppose it takes me 6 months of "dedication and patience" to master Wii Sports. Does that mean Wii Sports is a hardcore game?

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Demon Souls, Dark souls. Now that is hardcore

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I don't agree that a game has to be unpredictable to be hardcore...it just has to have depth and offer more than just a quick-play and casual experience. Any game that requires dedication and patience to master is a hardcore game imho.

peterw007

-

Also, how much "dedication and patience" it requires to master a game is dependent on the person. Some people are masters of a game immediately.

Suppose it takes me 6 months of "dedication and patience" to master Wii Sports. Does that mean Wii Sports is a hardcore game?

By your definition, all online multiplayer games are hardcore because you don't know what the other player will do. That's rubbish. Depth means anything that you can't master quickly. A casual game would be something that lacks much of a learning curve.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 peterw007

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]I don't agree that a game has to be unpredictable to be hardcore...it just has to have depth and offer more than just a quick-play and casual experience. Any game that requires dedication and patience to master is a hardcore game imho.

Bigboi500

-

By your definition, all online multiplayer games are hardcore because you don't know what the other player will do. That's rubbish. Depth means anything that you can't master quickly. A casual game would be something that lacks much of a learning curve.

Now that definition is less nebulous.

But in essence, yes. Anything that you can "develop a skill for," and can't just succeed by rote memorization or luck. That's hardcore.

So Tetris? That's hardcore. Farmville? That's not hardcore.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

In my opinion hardcore games is everything that takes itself at least a bit seriously, example:

Angry Birds, Dance Central, Wii-Sport, Tetris = casual

Uncharted, Crysis, Mass Effect, Zelda = hardcore

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

-

peterw007

Now that definition is less nebulous.

But in essence, yes. Anything that you can "develop a skill for," and can't just succeed by rote memorization or luck. That's hardcore.

So Tetris? That's hardcore. Farmville? That's not hardcore.

Harvest Moon is hardcore and doesn't require twitch and reactions, but it does require dedication and patience to excel at and be to successful.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 layton2012
[QUOTE="Gue1"]

In my opinion hardcore games is everything that takes itself at least a bit seriously, example:

I agree with this
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
to me, Hardcore games is * Game is not easy to play, * Gameplay is full of technical/mechanism * Non gamers, wussy girls, girlie girls, soccermoms, children and fancypants are not into such games that require mind-bending skills * teen to M ratings
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MFDOOM1983

Gue1
So dead rising and saint's row the third aren't "hardcore"?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

MFDOOM1983

What would make those games hardcore to you?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

Bigboi500

What would make those games hardcore to you?

I don't consider any software to be hardcore or casual. Just the gamers playing them. i'm not seeing anything differentiating those games from his listed "hardcore" titles outside of tone.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
So are there "Hardcore" books or movies? I really don't know what a hardcore gamer is or what hardcore gamers are.
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 peterw007

So are there "Hardcore" books or movies? I really don't know what a hardcore gamer is or what hardcore gamers are. chaoz-king

Here's my definitions:

Hardcore game - Game that features randomness and allows the gamer to develop a "skill."

Hardcore gamer - Individuals who predominately play hardcore games above all other games.

-

There's no such thing as hardcore books or movies...because they aren't interactive experiences like video games.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

something you need previous game experience to fully appreciate

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Depth and complexity in both story and gameplay. I hate hand holding and things such as aim assist/auto aim (also, the nano suit in Crysis 2 was so annoying telling me when there were tactical options available). Something like a Total War game, Arma, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., America's Army, and other similar titles.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

A game that requires a lot of time to master correctly by universal consent.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

There is no such a thing as a Hardcore game, a game is a game, perior, its quiality and appeal is the only thing it matters.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I don't consider any software to be hardcore or casual. Just the gamers playing them. i'm not seeing anything differentiating those games from his listed "hardcore" titles outside of tone.

MFDOOM1983

Your sig fills me with joy.

Also, that is a good point. Take a game like Mass Effect 2. It could be a very casual experience if played on easy and as a shooter, or it could be played on hard as a mixed class. One player just goes through the main missions quickly and the other tries to see all the side missions, reads ever codex and takes in the whole plot and universe created by the devs. One just aims and shoots the whole time whereas the other uses a multitude of abilities and uses squad commands and tactics.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Depth and it takes a lot time to master

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Having A collection LIKE THIS!

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Something like Rigs of Rods.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

A hardcore game is really a game you just enjoy. For me it's building my nations in Paradox's strategy games. Look what i did with Siam. I Westernized it, Made it a secondary power, Made it a leading figure in the Global reveloution (My goal wa Facism, but the facists never wanted to try to seize power, and I was determind to have a reveloution, so I madeCommies win). AND I survived Great Britan wanting a chunk of my land aswell as making sure the Chinese didn'tdecide they wanted a nice Tropicla getaway. I also annexed ALL my neighbors, and passed ALOT of social and Political reforms (like womens rights, which got taken away because of my reveloution.......Kind of counter productive in hindsight).

Siam

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

While I do believe that any game can be "hardcored" I also believe there are a few games that are inherently just a bit more complex than others.

Games that take time to master I figure are hardcore, can't be figured out within 5 minutes. So that pretty much leaves just RTS', MMOs and other games with a complex fighting system.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Something insecure people have to label their toys as so they don't feel as bad about themselves when defending a silly hobby
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Fighting games, strategy games and MMOs tend to be the most hardcore by virtue of being what they are. All 3 require a large investment of time to become good at let alone competitive in. You can make pretty much any game hardcore though. Some are just easier to get there.
Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Depth. A game that rewards you the more effort you put into learning it and getting good at it. A game that you can't truly master when you play it casually from time to time. I'm also tempted to label it as a game the average consumer ignores, but I feel like that's just elitist.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Fighting games, strategy games and MMOs tend to be the most hardcore by virtue of being what they are. All 3 require a large investment of time to become good at let alone competitive in. You can make pretty much any game hardcore though. Some are just easier to get there.Ace6301
That and quite a few simulations(fligth,racing,etc).

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
IMO, there are hardcore gamers, not games. It depends on how you play it, and how much time you invest in it.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Hardcore games (I dont use this term - I prefer "gamers games") are games that have gameplay (i.e. need to be gamed to finish them). Thats why this hobby is called gaming, afterall. For example playing cinematic corridor shooter where you only go forward and use only the weapons that devs have prepared for you (always the right ones - sniper gun in a place with snipers, RPG when there is a tank just around the corner) is NOT gaming. On the other hand playing a game with complicated level design where you have to actually think about what you are doing because it doesnt hold your hand like if you were an imbecile is gaming.

Summary:

Typical causal game: Call of Duty

Typical hardcore game: Zelda