What if Xbox, not Dreamcast, had been discontinued?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

I was a huge Sega fanboy. So I would be the Tormentos/Heil68 equivalent if Sega were still around today. But since they aren't I will continue to not have a horse in the race. For System Wars purposes it's tough since most of you just seem like crazy people that worship plastic boxes. But in the real world I'm free as a bird!

Be free my brother, be free. It's nice to have a plastic box not shackled to your legs and having to hope and wait for a game you're interested in come out on a console you have cause you hate the other one for no good apparent reason.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#52  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

What if my grandmother had balls?

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts
@donalbane said:

What if my grandmother had balls?

Then that would make her your grandpa, which would mean your real grandpa either would have been gay or they wouldn't have had any contact with each other. Either way you wouldn't be here today.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#54 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@mems_1224 said:

@davem1992: yup

Not the OG Xbox. Though that system got Ninja Gaiden and Otogi which are fucking fantastic. But the Genesis and Dreamcast are better. The 360? Yeah you have a point. 360 is easily in the top 5 consoles of all time in my opinion.

360 stopped being good around 2009.

When you already have hundreds of quality games, a console never stops being good. 360 is indeed one of the best consoles of all time. Opinions asside, going by critics and numbers alone, it's actually be the best.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#55 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Gaming would be better.

Yeah, it's a shame Sony killed Sega :P

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

We would now only have PlayStation and Nintendo. If you are a fan of either then the best thing is for both Xbox and PlayStation to be around. Both Microsoft and Sony push each other to deliver the better experience.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

MS has plenty of $$ and it would out last Sega. Dreamcast has inferior GPU when compared to the original Xbox.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

@PAL360 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Gaming would be better.

Yeah, it's a shame Sony killed Sega :P

Twas the evil Sony / EA alliance that doomed the DC I mean, no EA games on DC especially no Madden back in that day was a real kick in the groin to DC.

Though NFL 2K was by far the better FB game. :P

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@PAL360 said:
@davem1992 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@mems_1224 said:

Not the OG Xbox. Though that system got Ninja Gaiden and Otogi which are fucking fantastic. But the Genesis and Dreamcast are better. The 360? Yeah you have a point. 360 is easily in the top 5 consoles of all time in my opinion.

When you already have hundreds of quality games, a console never stops being good. 360 is indeed one of the best consoles of all time. Opinions asside, going by critics and numbers alone, it's actually be the best.

Highly disagree.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#60 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@naz99 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

Halo would never have existed, and that is a bad thing. Hey I love SEGA and I wish they would have survived, and maybe they might have produced something better than Xbox, but what is certain is franchises like Halo and Gears of War war would no longer exist today....maybe something better would have taken their place? Perhaps, I can imagine something better than Gears.....or even Forza.....but a world without Halo? That's a tough one.....I will say in the end I don't think things would have been better overall.....different in some ways, yeah....but not better. Say what you will about MS, but they created one of the most successfull franchises in gaming history.

You need to read up on the games history, Halo would have existed because it was previewed years before the XBOX even existed it's original reveal was in 1999 as a PC and MAC game as bungie back then was primarily a MAC developer witrh some PC releases but Microsoft needed exclusives for it's new console so they bought exclusivity from bungie and you know the rest.

So Halo would have happened either way.

So they did not create one of the most successful franchiises in gaming history they just threw money at the developers of it to get exclusivity,all Microsoft truly did was limit it's playerbase by limiting it to one console.

Halo 1999

Mac Keynote Halo reveal 1999

that is true history. MS didn't throw money at Bungie, they flat out bought the company. MS threw money at Square Enix for RotTR. Also from one of your links: "Of course, Halo took a major departure from that point. Microsoft announced in June 2000 that it had bought Bungie, which had spent much of the 1990s focused on developing games on Mac. Bungie then turned Halo into a first-person shooter"

I prefer the FPS that came to be. Maybe Halo would have still been created but as an RTS. Not much of a fan of the genre personally.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Halo would never have existed, and that is a bad thing. Hey I love SEGA and I wish they would have survived, and maybe they might have produced something better than Xbox, but what is certain is franchises like Halo and Gears of War war would no longer exist today....maybe something better would have taken their place? Perhaps, I can imagine something better than Gears.....or even Forza.....but a world without Halo? That's a tough one.....I will say in the end I don't think things would have been better overall.....different in some ways, yeah....but not better. Say what you will about MS, but they created one of the most successfull franchises in gaming history.

Bungie was making Halo before Microsoft bought the rights. In fact, like most Bungie games at the time, it was being made for Mac and was going to be brought to PC later. Steve Jobs was pissed and made an angry phone call to head of Microsoft's games division.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#62  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: In hindsight I should have said "helped create" instead of "created", but basically without MS backing the franchise it would most likely not have become the huge phenomenon that it did become, in my opinion anyways, for the purpose of this hypothetical discussion.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By cainetao11

@PAL360 said:
@davem1992 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@mems_1224 said:

Yeah that response of his means Jack and Shit. And Jack's out of town. So you hate the 360 post 2009. So the 3 1/2-4 years before no longer count then? And the massive amount of great games on it disappear? Stupid.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 cainetao11

@judaspete said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

Bungie was making Halo before Microsoft bought the rights. In fact, like most Bungie games at the time, it was being made for Mac and was going to be brought to PC later. Steve Jobs was pissed and made an angry phone call to head of Microsoft's games division.

MS bought more than the rights, they bought Bungie as a whole. And so what if Steve Jobs' panties got twisted? Apple should have secured the company then. It's business and two companies made the right move for the game and their finances going forward.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 davem1992

@cainetao11: All those multiplats, shit Kinect games and another Halo...................yay~

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

The SNES and the Genesis/Mega Drive had online before play before the Dreamcast.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I would of had a DreamCast then. Never owned one.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Dreamcast was discontinued before the Xbox One release, even then though, it was selling so bad if Sega didn't pull the plug then retailers surely would have, leaving just Sony in console gaming against Nintendo.

If it'd just been Sony leading the console market uncontested then we'd probably be a generation behind in terms of console power and features. A lot of what we got to enjoy last gen was the result of competition. MS doubled its planned RAM to accommodate for Epic's Gears of Was, Sony spent $950+ to produce each console that sold for $600, probably much of the cost being thought as necessary to compete with the Xbox 360 power and features. We probably wouldn't have saw such a thoughtless tactic be used.

If Sony had only the Wii to worry about, I'm sure they might have opted for not including the BR-drive, maybe even went for a completely different design in hardware that might have allowed for complete and full BC for PS1 and PS2 games because PS3 tech would have been drastically different and more in line with an evolution of PS2 tech. Maybe there wouldn't have existed a bridge between PC and console games and consoles would have had their own market in games. Maybe less powerful and less complex machines would have resulted in lower development costs for developers and publishers, lower gaming power might have resulted in lower standards for games allowing many smaller studios to stay relevant longer. Games could focus on artistic and creative aesthetics and gameplay rather than waste a generation on enhancing photorealism. Maybe the PS3 price would have been much smaller, not contributing a lot to Sony's finanial decline and thus helped them in their long term financial health in their other electronic markets.

What's interesting is what would the topic scenario done to built in HDD features, for instance if the PS3 had been built without one being mandatory then what great 7th gen features would we be missing? Demos, smaller digital games, DLC, patches/updates, app services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc, perhaps. Now, if that weren't there, would that have an effect on the development of app services and set top box devices? After all I feel that it was mainly the gaming consoles that many I knew got their feet wet with app devices for their TVs to get services, because it was included in the consoles they'd have anyways for gaming, rather than ask people to go buy a device for app services alone.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: You said it would never have existed.. and it exist before that's al im sayingl...you never clarified any of that :)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@bobrossperm: the OG Xbox revolutionized console multiplayer. That alone has had more of an impact on the industry than anything any Sega console did.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

That would be a mess, can't think of anything worse, MS have provided innovation through the years whether people like it or not.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#72 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@naz99: It's all good man thanks for clarifying :)

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 naz99

@cainetao11: It was going to be a 3rd person shooter not an RTS, either way it would have been a different game :)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By cainetao11

@davem1992 said:

@cainetao11: All those multiplats, shit Kinect games and another Halo...................yay~

Spread sheet shows different. Besides Kinect games didn't come until late 09-2010

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

FPS would be less kiddy.

Bioware would be full glory, making Baldur's gate 5.

Rare still alive.

Peter M. making AAAA GOTYs.

Remedy making great games.

No CoD rehashes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cainetao11

@naz99 said:

@cainetao11: It was going to be a 3rd person shooter not an RTS, either way it would have been a different game :)

It was first conceived as an RTS dude. Ask anyone here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/06/19/halo-the-rts "You'll actually get a glimpse of the unreleased concept version of Halo. What you see is basically a 3D RTS that lets you not only control far from above, but in a close third-person view."

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

The original Xbox was just basically the Dreamcast but clunkier and black lol. The SEGA fanboy part of me would've much liked that actually..

But who's to say how that would've turned out? Everything happens for a reason.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#78 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Then it would have taken longer for Sega to crash, and there be a Nintendo and Sony only gaming world.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By naz99
@cainetao11 said:
@naz99 said:

It was first conceived as an RTS dude. Ask anyone here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/06/19/halo-the-rts "You'll actually get a glimpse of the unreleased concept version of Halo. What you see is basically a 3D RTS that lets you not only control far from above, but in a close third-person view."

I knew about the RTS but always thought that was a separate game that got canned rather than it being the 3rd person HALO they was going to release not that it evolved into it just like a sci-fi version of MYTH the fantasy RTS they had at the time....well, i stand corrected :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@davem1992 said:

The worst fanbase in gaming wouldn't exist, so there are pros to it.

The Cows? Pretty sure they'd still be there.

They pretty much top apple fanboys.

No the Xbots you silly goose.

Wrong. Sega fans were NEVER demented. They actually put up a fight against Nintendo fans (the arrogant ones at the time), with rationale and knew how to back up their arguments. Obviously, you weren't alive during Gen 3 and 4.

The WORST things since HIV/Cancer to come out of gaming, would be Cows from the Playstation camp.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 davem1992

@KingsofQueens said:
@davem1992 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@davem1992 said:

The worst fanbase in gaming wouldn't exist, so there are pros to it.

The Cows? Pretty sure they'd still be there.

They pretty much top apple fanboys.

No the Xbots you silly goose.

Wrong. Sega fans were NEVER demented. They actually put up a fight against Nintendo fans (the arrogant ones at the time), with rationale and knew how to back up their arguments. Obviously, you weren't alive during Gen 3 and 4.

The WORST things since HIV/Cancer to come out of gaming, would be Cows from the Playstation camp.

I was a SEGA kid with the Mega Drive so no I was alive, Xbox fanboys are the bane of gaming though.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@-God- said:

FPS would be less kiddy.

Bioware would be full glory, making Baldur's gate 5.

Rare still alive.

Peter M. making AAAA GOTYs.

Remedy making great games.

No CoD rehashes.

Proof that Xbox did more harm than good

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I suspect we'd have a much better selection of console games.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Sega would have gone under eventually.

Just look at the quality of their games. It's went down far.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

just like the dreamcast, gaming would go on. I say this because what xbox and ms were known for also existed on pc. Til this day, i consider any ms console a poor mans pc.

sony 1st party are a little different, i'm not sure a lot of their games would do good on pc. Sure action games, but i don't think ratchet and clank, jak and daxter, sly and some other games would have done well as pc games .

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#86 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Both the Dreamcast and the original Xbox were discontinued. Anyway Sega sucked during the last few years of their hardware years. So for me they aren't really all that missed.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#87 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

In some ways, Xbox was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, considering Dreamcast tried to pioneer online play on consoles. But what if Dreamcast had stuck around and Xbox ended up discontinued? Would you have preferred this, SW? I think if Sega was still a console manufacturer things would have been different for sure. To me, Sega made some fatal mistakes, but at the same time, they were also much bigger risk takers, which I like. I miss the days when there was real competition, and console makes really went at each other. Sega to me was also a legit gaming company whereas MS is a software magnate with a gaming division. What you thinks, SW? Would things have been all that different with Sega staying in the race and MS losing out?

Dreamcast was one of my favorite consoles ... and that answers your question ... I really dont think Xbox was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast by any means even if the online part is somewhat true.

Fatal mistakes or not , Dreamcasts library was one of the best i ever saw ( till its premature death that is ) ever . I have so many great memories is ridiculous considering how it failed to appeal and died. DC >>> all Xbox combined

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

What if SolidGame_basic, not BioShockOwnz, had been banned?

Kfk28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Kfk28
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

I own both consoles but dreamcast was far better. If you look at them today dreamcast has many games that look good while xbox has none. Dreamcast would have had half life had it not been canned in 2001 and that game is better than halo. As someone who remembers dreamcast the games were fresh not recycled fps over and over again. Ps2 only won because it had a dvd player. Its a shame consoles got so far from games and more concerned with apps and broadcasts. Dreamcast was the last true gaming console. Some of the best games on Xbox were ment for dreamcast. Hotd, shenmue 2, soul calibur 2. Xbox would have shitty games like brute force. I remember when I bought code veronica I was blown away by the graphics. Name one Xbox game that looked better than that. It also had power stone. Sonic adventure, shenmue, thotd and many other great exclusives so it had far more great games in 2 years than xbox had in its whole life span in terms of originals Then you people bash the dreamcast controller. The first Xbox controller was a ding joke. The duke give me a break. A would without xbox would be better for gaming.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I'd be grinding a Phantasy Star Online game right about now. Microsoft should buy out Sega and make use of their IPs they tarnished.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

In some ways, Xbox was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, considering Dreamcast tried to pioneer online play on consoles. But what if Dreamcast had stuck around and Xbox ended up discontinued? Would you have preferred this, SW? I think if Sega was still a console manufacturer things would have been different for sure. To me, Sega made some fatal mistakes, but at the same time, they were also much bigger risk takers, which I like. I miss the days when there was real competition, and console makes really went at each other. Sega to me was also a legit gaming company whereas MS is a software magnate with a gaming division. What you thinks, SW? Would things have been all that different with Sega staying in the race and MS losing out?

They took risks because they were failing and they needed something to stick to the wall. MS was always going to enter the race.

@foxhound_fox said:

Sega would still have spiraled into near-financial oblivion.

The Dreamcast was discontinued because of their financial problems and trying to support several devices all at the same time.

The Dreamcast times, the only consoles that were still actively supported outside left over markets, was the Saturn in japan.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Yes it would have. Xbox also, even if Sega continued, would have still happened, as it did before the DC even came out, was being worked on. Also even if we say that didn't happen, and MS never entered, Halo would have still existed, it just would have been that RTS on macintosh that it originally was going to be.

@naz99 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

So they did not create one of the most successful franchiises in gaming history they just threw money at the developers of it to get exclusivity,all Microsoft truly did was limit it's playerbase by limiting it to one console.

Invalid. MS was the one who remade Halo into an FPS, it wasn't an FPS at first. The Xbox was already being worked on in 1999. Yes they did create the IP as it is now.

@ten_pints said:

I thought the original Xbox was discontinued, a lot of game devs were not allowed to publish games on it after Microsoft pulled the plug, or did I imagine that?

Yes, MS pulled the plug and even themselves still did software until the start of 2007, then TO's did the rest of the software support then. Xbox was already dead.

@kuu2 said:

The Dreamcast was done by the time the OG Xbox launched. It might have still had games being developed for it but it was dead. I really don't understand the question.

The Xbox had nothing to do with the Dreamcast dying.

Actually it hurt a bit, especially Sega themselves, but it was already being worked on before it was announced. Some media took it as a sign.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TigerSuperman

@cainetao11 said:
@davem1992 said:

Spread sheet shows different. Besides Kinect games didn't come until late 09-2010

Kinect games didn't come out in 09 at all if I recall.

Also this thread is strange, as long as a consoles was big enough to steal from PC gaming MS would have always entered. MS was also already fixing up the XBox before DC was out.

Kfk28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Kfk28
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

Dreamcast came out in 1998 in japan, xbox 2001 so it's no wonder the Xbox was more powerful. when dreamcast failed i got an Xbox because sega game It a ton of exclusives. I think the dreamcast had more staying power people still make games for it and it gets a lot of love.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TigerSuperman

@kfk28 said:

Dreamcast came out in 1998 in japan, xbox 2001 so it's no wonder the Xbox was more powerful. when dreamcast failed i got an Xbox because sega game It a ton of exclusives. I think the dreamcast had more staying power people still make games for it and it gets a lot of love.

The Xbox 1 was finalized around 99. Also Xbox 1 is a hard system to do a lot of things with, including emulate, while DC was easily piratable, and had simple design, which is why you se more people making games for it.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@dxmcat said:

My 9.9.1999 Launch Date Dreamcast still works like new.

I've gone through more than 5 Xboxs.

still play my day one "1st in line" ;) xbox..never any issues..

ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

We would now only have PlayStation and Nintendo. If you are a fan of either then the best thing is for both Xbox and PlayStation to be around. Both Microsoft and Sony push each other to deliver the better experience.

Sega had been the underdog every gen. They could edge out Nintendo but simply didn't have the resource to compete with Sony. The DC ran Windows CE and Xbox was a spiritual successor with major Sega exclusives. If the Dreamcast didn't fold, the Xbox could have been Sega's line of consoles.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Sega would still die off. More people would buy Gamecube, as it would be Sony's only competitor.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

.......... lol I love scenarios that make no sense.
What if the original xbox was discontinued in march 2001 8 months before it was even released, since that is when the dreamcast was discontinued.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#99  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Ya a system that was rushed to the market broke down a lot best top five? Even when it failed to outsell Wii or ps3 lol better than sega if anything ms is the next Sega have similarities that's for sure never lead in sales

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts