What if Xbox, not Dreamcast, had been discontinued?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

In some ways, Xbox was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, considering Dreamcast tried to pioneer online play on consoles. But what if Dreamcast had stuck around and Xbox ended up discontinued? Would you have preferred this, SW? I think if Sega was still a console manufacturer things would have been different for sure. To me, Sega made some fatal mistakes, but at the same time, they were also much bigger risk takers, which I like. I miss the days when there was real competition, and console makes really went at each other. Sega to me was also a legit gaming company whereas MS is a software magnate with a gaming division. What you thinks, SW? Would things have been all that different with Sega staying in the race and MS losing out?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'd probably own one right about now

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Sega would still have spiraled into near-financial oblivion.

The Dreamcast was discontinued because of their financial problems and trying to support several devices all at the same time.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Halo would never have existed, and that is a bad thing. Hey I love SEGA and I wish they would have survived, and maybe they might have produced something better than Xbox, but what is certain is franchises like Halo and Gears of War war would no longer exist today....maybe something better would have taken their place? Perhaps, I can imagine something better than Gears.....or even Forza.....but a world without Halo? That's a tough one.....I will say in the end I don't think things would have been better overall.....different in some ways, yeah....but not better. Say what you will about MS, but they created one of the most successfull franchises in gaming history.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

A supermassive black hole would have swallowed the Earth. I went to the alternate future. It would have happened.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Dreamcast was alright but the OG Xbox and 360 were better than any Sega console

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@silversix_ said:

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Halo would never have existed, and that is a bad thing. Hey I love SEGA and I wish they would have survived, and maybe they might have produced something better than Xbox, but what is certain is franchises like Halo and Gears of War war would no longer exist today....maybe something better would have taken their place? Perhaps, I can imagine something better than Gears.....or even Forza.....but a world without Halo? That's a tough one.....I will say in the end I don't think things would have been better overall.....different in some ways, yeah....but not better. Say what you will about MS, but they created one of the most successfull franchises in gaming history.

You need to read up on the games history, Halo would have existed because it was previewed years before the XBOX even existed it's original reveal was in 1999 as a PC and MAC game as bungie back then was primarily a MAC developer witrh some PC releases but Microsoft needed exclusives for it's new console so they bought exclusivity from bungie and you know the rest.

So Halo would have happened either way.

So they did not create one of the most successful franchiises in gaming history they just threw money at the developers of it to get exclusivity,all Microsoft truly did was limit it's playerbase by limiting it to one console.

Halo 1999

Mac Keynote Halo reveal 1999

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@silversix_ said:

^

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I would've loved if Sega continued with the console run. But to be honest, anyone backing sega at the time had no faith in it. We could already see the mistakes sega made with no second analog stick, a tiny assed D-pad that was inferior to both the genesis and Saturn d-pad, arcade focused and easy piracy.

The Og Xbox was a beast of a console and introduced custom soundtracks, expandable hard drive, good modding, better online experiences, an ergonomic controller best suited for FPS's and full third party support. As much as I loved the dreamcast, it didn't hold a candle to any of the 6th gen consoles when it came to exclusives, or it's nonexistent third party...in fact, it mainly got ports. Anyway, the DC is still alive with support from Indies...and sega would've taken a massive loss re-entering the console run...don't let nostalgia blind you from facts.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@naz99: I'm aware of its origins and that it very well may have come about on a different system, but right now this is how we know the game as an Xbox exclusive and MS helped make it a reality, who knows what would have happened had they not gotten involved and taken that direction with the series, but yeah it could have very well existed in a different form in an alternate reality.....I guess never say never.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

That would be my strong preference. Would have been great for Sega to undergo a big turn around. But they didn't, and management have only gotten more and more inept as the years go on until now, when the name Sega carries no more weight than the name Atari. You see those names on a box now and it simply doesn't mean anything anymore.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

One thing for certain, Sony wouldn't be able to sit on their ass this gen.

Anyone notice that when Nintendo and Sony were at their best game wise was when they were in direct competition with Sega? Sega was relentless when it game to having the best and most innovative new exclusives for their system.

Sonic, Panzer Dragon, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, House of the Dead, Datona USA, Altered Beast, Golden Ax, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Nights into Dreams...the list goes on and these are in house not paid 3rd party.

I always supported their systems because of their passion to create these games. Sony and Nintendo lost something when they stepped out the console manufacturing picture.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

No

Sega milks stuff just like Nintendo, poor innovation Sonic games, and well they quit easily.

Still waiting for PSO2 screw English patch for Japanese version

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

@notorious1234na said:

No

Sega milks stuff just like Nintendo, poor innovation Sonic games, and well they quit easily.

The only franchise SEGA continues to milk is Sonic, but even back in the day, they were looking at Ristar and NiGHTS as possible successors to it. Old school SEGA was all about new IPs rather than only focusing on a small group of stars, which isn't a thing like Nintendo.

As for the topic, I honestly don't have an opinion. In a perfect world, I'd take SEGA, but no way would it be clean cut like that. Also, it's not like I didn't enjoy playing on the Xbox and 360. They are my favorite consoles for their respective gens, after all.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

It had support until 2009 (later if I'm not aware of newer NAOMI 2 games). It's good.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

My 9.9.1999 Launch Date Dreamcast still works like new.

I've gone through more than 5 Xboxs.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@dxmcat said:

My 9.9.1999 Launch Date Dreamcast still works like new.

I've gone through more than 5 Xboxs.

The laser on my launch DC doesn't work as of 2010. I did put extremely high amounts of game time into it though.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@notorious1234na said:

No

The only franchise SEGA continues to milk is Sonic, but even back in the day, they were looking at Ristar and NiGHTS as possible successors to it. Old school SEGA was all about new IPs rather than only focusing on a small group of stars, which isn't a thing like Nintendo.

As for the topic, I honestly don't have an opinion. In a perfect world, I'd take SEGA, but no way would it be clean cut like that. Also, it's not like I didn't enjoy playing on the Xbox and 360. They are my favorite consoles for their respective gens, after all.

Going to be honest thats a much more reasonable answer then I thought you would give when I saw the thread. I've always had you pegged as someone who would have been a massive sega fanboy back in the day.

Props I suppose for proving me wrong.

On topic I'm not sure who I would rather have. I feel Microsoft has had an overall negative impact on the industry. They don't really create IP's so much as buy them and take them away from other people. They also popularized online sub fees. The have a bad habit of paying for timed exclusive games and DLC. However Halo 3, Gears 2 and Fable 2 are some of my favorite games I'm not sure that I would have gotten to play them if MS quit after the first xbox.

Sega on the other hand just doesn't have any IP's I enjoy.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Meeeeeh, never had much interest in Sega's games or even it's consoles. I'm glad Microsoft stuck it out with the Xbox.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

@inb4uall said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@notorious1234na said:

No

Going to be honest thats a much more reasonable answer then I thought you would give when I saw the thread. I've always had you pegged as someone who would have been a massive sega fanboy back in the day.

Props I suppose for proving me wrong.

Then you haven't read many of my posts if you thought that, because it's in line with what I've always written: Not counting the PC, my favorite systems during gens 4-6 were the Genesis, N64, and Xbox. When SEGA stopped making consoles, I honestly didn't care, because there were so many great games to play on everything else, unlike today where there's such a lack of innovation.

Just because I enjoy talking about SEGA games doesn't mean that I never played anything else, which couldn't be further from the truth. I actually find the reverse to be more of the case, because the biggest bashers of SEGA never seem to know much of anything about their games or systems.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Gaming would be better.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13637 Posts

What sort of silly bait thread is this? They became third party and we still get Sega's games. Also Sega are so hit and miss with their games that it wouldn't have been worth it.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

Sega GT would have replaced Forza, and Sega GT 2002 on xbox was amazing.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I thought the original Xbox was discontinued, a lot of game devs were not allowed to publish games on it after Microsoft pulled the plug, or did I imagine that?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12056 Posts

The Dreamcast was done by the time the OG Xbox launched. It might have still had games being developed for it but it was dead. I really don't understand the question.

The Xbox had nothing to do with the Dreamcast dying.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

The worst fanbase in gaming wouldn't exist, so there are pros to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@davem1992 said:

Pretty sure cows would hate as much on Sega as well...

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12056 Posts

Rich, Sony Fan in here bad mouthing Lems when it was Sony and their fan base had nothing but venom for the DCast. Sega just didn't have the money to fight Sony's fud in the publics mind when it came to hardware.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@davem1992 said:

Indeed. Would have been a glorious period with only Sony, Nintendo and Sega as players. I concur.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

What if DOG was really spelled GOD?

Whoa that's heavy Ogre !

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HalcyonScarlet

@davem1992 said:

The Cows? Pretty sure they'd still be there.

They pretty much top apple fanboys.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

I'd be playing my SEGA console of course. DC was awesome.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Halo would never have existed, and that is a bad thing.

That is incorrect. MS bought Bungie after they developed and were working on Halo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 43935 Posts

Best case scenario, PS fails and DC continued.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Best case scenario, PS fails and DC continued.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

What if you actually make a thread worth reading one day?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

I would assume the Sega consoles would have more exclusives overall. But they failed for a reason and they would probably turn to shit later on anyway. They made some really stupid marketing decisions way before the Dreamcast. Look at the CD and 32x add-ons for the Genesis. Right before the Saturn came out. What were they thinking?!?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

In some ways, Xbox was a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast, considering Dreamcast tried to pioneer online play on consoles. But what if Dreamcast had stuck around and Xbox ended up discontinued? Would you have preferred this, SW? I think if Sega was still a console manufacturer things would have been different for sure. To me, Sega made some fatal mistakes, but at the same time, they were also much bigger risk takers, which I like. I miss the days when there was real competition, and console makes really went at each other. Sega to me was also a legit gaming company whereas MS is a software magnate with a gaming division. What you thinks, SW? Would things have been all that different with Sega staying in the race and MS losing out?

Then MS would have bought Sega...

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 davem1992

@mems_1224 said:

Dreamcast was alright but the OG Xbox and 360 were better than any Sega console

Nope.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 davem1992

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@davem1992 said:

No the Xbots you silly goose.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Halo CE, one of the best games of all time, would have been a completly different game. Sure, it was in development for PC and Mac, but as an RTS and not a shooter.

It's a shame that Sega died as an hardware company, but MS did alot for this industry too, especially with the first Xbox and the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I was a huge Sega fanboy. So I would be the Tormentos/Heil68 equivalent if Sega were still around today. But since they aren't I will continue to not have a horse in the race. For System Wars purposes it's tough since most of you just seem like crazy people that worship plastic boxes. But in the real world I'm free as a bird!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#43 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I was a Sega kid. Never owned a Nintendo system until the Wii, but asking me to give up Halo just so they would still be making consoles? Nope, wouldn't want it. And how would Sega be doing in todays gaming landscape? Would they be using the Nintendo strategy of dramatically less powerful hardware? Remember Sony and MS are more than gaming companies and while that doesn't sound as romantic as Nintendo, they can leverage more capital. Maybe they don't do it to the level that many here want them to but what do most of us know about big corporate management? I could easily see one medium powerful console the PS, and then two low tier ones from Nintendo and Sega duking it out and claiming they are not in competition with others.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet
@davem1992 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@davem1992 said:

No the Xbots you silly goose.

The cows are the only ones that are so bad they make the whole brand look bad. The rest of the fanboys are annoying at best.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 davem1992

@kuu2: PC and WiiU fan actually.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Then we'd all be a lot better off

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@davem1992: yup

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 davem1992

@mems_1224: Nope, the OG Xbox sucked and the Xbox One is just ok at best, even 360 started to suck after 2009.

DC > any Xbox system

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

Not the OG Xbox. Though that system got Ninja Gaiden and Otogi which are fucking fantastic. But the Genesis and Dreamcast are better. The 360? Yeah you have a point. 360 is easily in the top 5 consoles of all time in my opinion.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 davem1992

@bobrossperm said:
@mems_1224 said:

Not the OG Xbox. Though that system got Ninja Gaiden and Otogi which are fucking fantastic. But the Genesis and Dreamcast are better. The 360? Yeah you have a point. 360 is easily in the top 5 consoles of all time in my opinion.

360 stopped being good around 2009.