What do you want to play more - MGSV or Zelda Wii U?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What do you want to play more - MGSV or Zelda Wii U? (178 votes)

MGSV 40%
Zelda Wii U 60%

Man, this is a toughy. MGSV excites me from a gameplay perspective, but I don't know how interested I am in the story. Zelda Wii U looked great at E3 and I think Nintendo is really going to make this one special. I'm thinking Zelda Wii U. I have really high expectations for it. You, SW?

• 
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#51 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@smashed_pinata said:

Why MGSV looks fantastic and will surely be a huge GOTY contender for 2015, Zelda still wins in my book. Majoras Mask is my favorite game of all time; and since playing it, no other game series has been able to captivate me in such engrossing ways.

@Basinboy said:

I'm still on Zelda's side - it's one of the only Nintendo franchises that still caters to my tastes.

MGS is too bonkers a plotline to draw me in, especially now.

I heard you on the latest P2DM podcast, and was wondering what exactly are your tastes in general?

I play most any and every game I get my hands on. Originally I'm a child of the JRPG golden age of the mid-to-late 90s and I've a certain affinity for them even though I don't play them much anymore. Nowadays, I try to play every major exclusive/release available on each platform but primarily prefer SP, story-driven games. But I'm also no stranger to getting swept up into the occasional MP community or the other (actually played competitive UC3 MP for a time, odd as that was). Most games I play on PC, but I keep it spread out. Usually the only games I reserve for consoles/handhelds are exclusives and certain indies (better on Vita).

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Zelda, not even a contest

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@smashed_pinata said:

Why MGSV looks fantastic and will surely be a huge GOTY contender for 2015, Zelda still wins in my book. Majoras Mask is my favorite game of all time; and since playing it, no other game series has been able to captivate me in such engrossing ways.

@Basinboy said:

I'm still on Zelda's side - it's one of the only Nintendo franchises that still caters to my tastes.

I heard you on the latest P2DM podcast, and was wondering what exactly are your tastes in general?

I play most any and every game I get my hands on. Originally I'm a child of the JRPG golden age of the mid-to-late 90s and I've a certain affinity for them even though I don't play them much anymore. Nowadays, I try to play every major exclusive/release available on each platform but primarily prefer SP, story-driven games. But I'm also no stranger to getting swept up into the occasional MP community or the other (actually played competitive UC3 MP for a time, odd as that was). Most games I play on PC, but I keep it spread out. Usually the only games I reserve for consoles/handhelds are exclusives and certain indies (better on Vita).

Oh so you must have a special spot in your heart for the FF series? Have you played Ogre Battle? I hear its one of a kind for the RPG crowd.

Anyways, that's cool. I am a pretty big RPG fan myself, but have not gotten into a ton of JRPG's. Been meaning to check out P4G possibly on my friends Vita, but have been massively addicted to MK8 on WiiU.

Let's hope Zelda WiiU lives up to the hype and reinvigorates the series and its formula.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster

If you had friends you would want it...... :p

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Basinboy

@smashed_pinata said:

@Basinboy said:

@smashed_pinata said:

@Basinboy said:

Oh so you must have a special spot in your heart for the FF series? Have you played Ogre Battle? I hear its one of a kind for the RPG crowd.

Anyways, that's cool. I am a pretty big RPG fan myself, but have not gotten into a ton of JRPG's. Been meaning to check out P4G possibly on my friends Vita, but have been massively addicted to MK8 on WiiU.

Let's hope Zelda WiiU lives up to the hype and reinvigorates the series and its formula.

Oh yes, Ogre Battle is amazing. And yeah, FF is certainly a franchise of much interest to me - which makes S-E's f*ckery all the more enraging. FFIX actually sits in my top 5 favorite games.

I've been trying to do the same. I got P4G in my backlog but it's just so much game to tackle. One day, maybe.

Dunno if you heard my thoughts about Zelda Wii U on PD2M but I'm enthused by what's being said so far and designing the game as open world is something I feel is long overdue for Zelda. There are still a lot of pitfalls along the way Nintendo can fall into and I have little hope it's going to turn around the direction the Wii U is headed (after all, most every buyer of a Wii U expected to get a Zelda game at some point - the announcement is nothing more than fulfillment of that expectation). Still, I'm quietly optimistic.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

can't pick one

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Whatever gives you gameplay.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@smashed_pinata said:

@Basinboy said:

@smashed_pinata said:

@Basinboy said:

Oh yes, Ogre Battle is amazing. And yeah, FF is certainly a franchise of much interest to me - which makes S-E's f*ckery all the more enraging. FFIX actually sits in my top 5 favorite games.

I've been trying to do the same. I got P4G in my backlog but it's just so much game to tackle. One day, maybe.

Dunno if you heard my thoughts about Zelda Wii U on PD2M but I'm enthused by what's being said so far and designing the game as open world is something I feel is long overdue for Zelda. There are still a lot of pitfalls along the way Nintendo can fall into and I have little hope it's going to turn around the direction the Wii U is headed (after all, most every buyer of a Wii U expected to get a Zelda game at some point - the announcement is nothing more than fulfillment of that expectation). Still, I'm quietly optimistic.

Yeah i know what you mean. I was very disappointed in Skyward Sword for many reasons, one of them being the complete lack of difficulty, having the devs think we are brain dead mouth breathers who need our hands held for the entire game. I mean, if were buying a Zelda game we are MOST LIKELY fans of the series, which means we know how to think through puzzles and obstacles inside the Zelda universe. Deku stick = light torch etc etc. Aonuma (sp?) touched briefly on this point saying he understands now that they might have taken the coddling a bit far in SS. Also i think an open world design will help a lot with that area, because the puzzles will be more than just a small room of a dungeon.

Plenty of great possibilities capable here.

I think one thing that people seem to forget though, is that Nintendo is a family oriented company first and foremost. Do they have a extremely passionate hardcore audience? Absolutely. However, they also have a huge casual fan base as well. Nintendo knows this; they know that the smash community CRAVES advanced techniques and complexity. They also don't want the casual player to be left in the dust; picking up a controller and getting ROFLstomped into oblivion before even landing an attack against a pro. So it's a constant balance that they have to achieve in each game. Enough depth for the hardcore, enough accesibility for the casual. They have to cater to both audiences.So they can't take a game in too hardcore of a direction or else their casual fan base will suffer; and vice versa for the casual side of things. Unfortunately they chose the casual side lately because that's where the money is. That is why their games have been sort of shunned by the crowd that grew up with them, because they feel they are no longer being supported. Sony and MS have the majority of a 'hardcore' crowd so its much easier for them to focus on one style of game.

These problems have hurt Nintendo over the last gen, and i really hope that their recent sales slump has made them realize they need to try a bit harder in the dedicated gamer market to attract more interest; and i think Zelda is the first game in which this will be tested.

TTDR version: Ninty needs a balance between hardcore and casual in their games, because they have been too far on the casual side of the scale for the last few years. Hardcores want Skyrim Zelda, make it happen Ninty! (:P)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Basinboy

@smashed_pinata: The Nintendo complex is so terribly fascinating it gets overanalyzed to death. Their efforts to cater to the general gaming demographic have waned and wandered for the better part of the last 15 years and they're still very lost when it comes to the integration of online MP; their approach to game design is still tremendously unique and detrimentally alienating. But they are, in many respects, the Disney of videogames: what they do seems odd, but it tends to have a charm and a staying power others just can't understand.

That and some of their most hardcore fans are hypnotized robots or hopeleslly delusional.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

zelda got no sex and violence and too childish for my taste

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Eagerly awaiting both, but my hype for MGS5 is fever pitch. I need this game now.

@hippiesanta said:

I never thought of either series as childish, but if I had to describe one of them as such, it would be MGS.

Sorry if you were just being sarcastic, I can never tell on this board.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

lol so many extremes. One side is MGS no brainer and the other, Zelda no contest. :P

I'll go with Zelda. I'm still playing catch up with the MGS series. U__U'

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@sandbox3d said:

Eagerly awaiting both, but my hype for MGS5 is fever pitch. I need this game now.

@hippiesanta said:

I never thought of either series as childish, but if I had to describe one of them as such, it would be MGS.

Sorry if you were just being sarcastic, I can never tell on this board.

I'm very offended with your remarks

I'm having heart attack

long live taliban

actually .... no ...... i'm joking ..... lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

I'm very offended with your remarks

I'm having heart attack

long live taliban

actually .... no ...... i'm joking ..... lol

Maybe now we'll get to see which game the NSA is more hyped for.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

i know more about what the nest MGS will be. We have absolutely no idea what the next Zelda will play like.

Some people take near-zero information and hype themselves silly. I'm not going to after the Zelda's of late (Haven't play ALBW), so I'll say MGS V.

More info could definitely switch this. A year from now we could ask the same question, and be months away from any answers.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I'm quite surprised by the side that I've chosen comparatively. Don't sheep generally complain about pre-rendered trailers, graphics, or gameplay-less hype. I mean-- it's not even that Metal Gear Solid V looks bad or even stagnant. The only thing we know about The Legend of Zelda U is that it is open-world and we don't even know what that entails.

"To each their own", I suppose, my vote goes to Metal Gear Solid V. I just beat Metal Gear Solid 3 for the first time on 3DS and I'm glad that the series is moving on.

Strangely enough, though, I want a Wii U more than whatever platform(s) Metal Gear Solid V may be on, so actually getting excited to play it is pointless and I'll probably end up playing The Legend of Zelda U first.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

After the MGS4 debacle, I'm finding it rather hard to find care enough to even go back to 1, 2 and 3. I'm more interested in the future of the Metal Gear Rising series than MGS.

I'll go with Zelda.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

mgs5 no contest

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

If I had to pick one, it would be Zelda.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I would have to give this one to Zelda. MGSV looks stunning though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I'd prefer Zelda, but Phantom Pain is looking like it has potential. Admittedly, I have some doubts Nintendo is going to flub this whole open world thing. And I have doubts Konami can't not turn MGSV into a movie void of gameplay. Both games have so much potential, but I'm skeptical about them achieving that potential.

But yeah, I'd rather have Zelda, I can probably live with Phantom Pain being a stinker more than I can Zelda.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#73  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Zelda

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#74 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

They will take the open-world route ? if not it will still feel like a confined level where you have few options to do your mission. Personnaly I don't care if it is big or not as long as it is fun to play.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

.....Zelda.

I can already tell how much Kojima's juvenile humor has made its way into his game. Why does a guy who is able to make such amazing engines and gameplay insist on holding the maturity of an 8 year old? I oftentimes feel insulted playing his games. I suppose this is largely a cultural difference.

But then on the other hand, there's no guarantee Nintendo won't fret about the possibility that I won't be able to figure out that a key is most likely used to unlock a lock, or will fail to realize that I don't want to spend the first half of the game running errands for the sleepy village.

Decisions, decisions.....

I'll take my chances. Zelda.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@farrell2k said:

Anyone who says MGSV is a lying, pretend Nintendo hater. Zelda 1000x over.

I love Zelda. Been playing it since the original, it's one of my all time favorite game series and the new one is my 2nd most anticipated game.

Still going with MGSV by a long shot. We already know that the gameplay is awesome and the amount of content will be ridiculous. It's just a safe bet at this point.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I really didn't care for Skyward Sword, so I'm going with MGSV

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Never got into the MGS series. Zelda for me.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

MGSV

Pros:
The game from everything has been shown off looks great.

Cons:
Metal Gear Solid 4 was a terrible game, so its prequel is making it hard to get hyped.

Zelda

Pros:
Looks great, A link between world renewed my fiath in the series and this game looks to expand on what made that game great, everything they told us makes me want it.

Cons:
We have barely seen any of it.

Right now, I am more hyped for MGSV, but as time moves on I will probably get more hyped for Zelda.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

MgsV

Creepy manchildren play mario and zelda games.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Revengence or Hyrule Warriors easiely

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#83  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@farrell2k said:

MGSV looks like another mindless third person shooter. Boring.

What? Have you played a MGS game in your life? You can beat most of the game without firing a weapon with the exception of Boss Fights... You have no clue of wtf you're talkin about. MGS is a stealth game, not a TPS

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Neither have co-op soooooo....

Soooo Lulu... doesn't like mp or online, but wants co-op in every game.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Zelda

MGS5 isn't really doing anything for me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@LadyBlue

HELL YEAH ! ! ! :p

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

zelda winning the poll just proves how many 10 year old there are on this forum

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@LadyBlue

HELL YEAH ! ! ! :p

I challenge you to mortal kombat!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ConanTheStoner

@Coco_pierrot said:

@ConanTheStoner:

They will take the open-world route ? if not it will still feel like a confined level where you have few options to do your mission. Personnaly I don't care if it is big or not as long as it is fun to play.

Yeah it's going to be open world... or should I say open worlds? Afghanistan is the only map they've shown so far and it's huge. Africa is also a confirmed locale. If I had to guess, I think there will be a few big maps and then a bunch of smaller ones like specific bases to infiltrate.

But yeah, I completely agree with you. I never cared how big a map is as long as the game is fun. Truth be told, I'm not usually the type to care for open world games.

The only reason I'm so hyped for this game is because I played the hell out of Ground Zeroes which is essentially a small taste of the game to come. It's basically just one big ass base to infiltrate. The goals are specific of course, but the way you go about it is very open ended. And the gameplay is by far the best that the series has to offer.

They've already proven that MGS works great in an open environment and The Phantom Pain is going to be the same deal, but roughly 200 times bigger.

So yeah I'm pretty much sold at this point lol.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

MGSV, at least from the gameplay is looking mindblowing. Zelda? The series has been stale and we know next to nothing about the new game. And knowing nintendo you can bet it's gonna be just more of the same open world or not.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#91 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Zelda Wii U

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#93 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Zelda. Intrigued about how they're going to expand on the open ended gameplay of Link Between Worlds.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@farrell2k said:

@Vatusus said:

@farrell2k said:

MGSV looks like another mindless third person shooter. Boring.

What? Have you played a MGS game in your life? You can beat most of the game without firing a weapon with the exception of Boss Fights... You have no clue of wtf you're talkin about. MGS is a stealth game, not a TPS

It's third person, and you shoot. Let's be honest. It's a third person shooter with stealth elements. While you're at it, just admit that you want to play Zelda more than MGSV as well. Any reasonable person would.

Zelda is third person and you slice with a sword. Therefore, it's a hack and slash!... come on man.

I guess you're just saying that every stealth game with a gun is a 3rd person shooter. So technically, every Splinter Cell, MGS and Hitman is just a TPS. Forget that the core objective of those games is to remain covert and shooting should be your last option.

We get it man, you prefer Zelda. No biggie, the Zelda games have mostly been great it's an awesome series. Really, you don't have to make shit up about MGS just to express that you have a different preference.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#95 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@smashed_pinata said:

@Basinboy said:

I'M MAKING YOU FAMOUS BASIN

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Zelda Wii U. Couldn't give a rats ass about MGS.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

MGSV by default because I will never own a Wii U. Pretty sure it will be the better game as well.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Zelda definitely, MGS is to much of a movie. I still rememver that 45min(?) cutscene in MGS4 *yawn*

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ConanTheStoner

Man, I give up lol

Some gaming myths you simply can not erase.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@aroxx_ab said:

Zelda definitely, MGS is to much of a movie. I still rememver that 45min(?) cutscene in MGS4 *yawn*

Yeah, i'm not into story and cutscenes over gameplay. If that floats the fans boat, fine.

Splinter Cell has always had the superior gameplay imo.