What can be done to speed back up the Development of games?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

blah blah blah blah

You clearly don't get the message when people say console xyz don't have games so allow me to enlighten you.

It means the games we currently have suck.

Your Welcome.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#52 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Whoever thinks delaying a game or more development time = a higher quality/better game is an idiot.

No you're an idiot for arguing something that is objective vs something subjective while arguing something no one argued in the first place.

No where did anyone say its guaranteed to be some classic, but all a rush job does is give you that game in a messier state. More time will clean up some loose ends, will fix performance on some level. Those games going through dev hell? Rushing them isn't going to fix them. Rushing things is always bad, delaying something has gee I don't know Naughty Dog's games have been delayed before, Rockstars games have been delayed, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Blizzards's games, and last I checked there was a lot of quality involved in those entries.

Now compared that to the rush job that was MCC or Battlefield 4 and you had a broken, unplayable mess. Next time understand context.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@jg4xchamp:

MCC is playable. Should have come out without MP, so people can stop bitching about it.

Playable now, I'm saying when it launched it was a mess. Why? because it was rushed. And it shouldn't have come without MP, it's fucking Halo, it's a damn MP franchise, it should have MP. If you are going to "remaster" a game, fine, remaster all of it. I don't want 50% of the game, I want all of the game. But they wanted to release a product in November blah blah blah because the word "anniversary" meant more than making a finished product.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

No you're an idiot

All that really needed to be said man.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

Here's a novel idea.... Don't announce the game till it's ready to be released.

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:

Do me a favor and try actual software development

What has that got to do with the TC's question?

Everything. Games many years ago could be made fast because there were less 'parts', less to do, not as much tech to be implemented. The more complex your software gets, the longer it takes to get made and fully tested. TC wants games made in a year or less, I don't want mass produced bullshit, we have enough fast food gaming.

That is a very similar point to one he was making, no? Hence why your post was pointless. Software is more complex now, but as a result, development times are too long. How can we improve development times? Can we improve development times? That's what he wanted to discuss. Perhaps you can do us all a favour and answer those questions for us?

I did answer already. Dev time isnt taking too long, if anything it's too fast. We see garbage spewed out by AAA devs year after year. Those who take their sweet time can eventually craft an amazing product and it shows they care. However you have the likes of CoD and AC and sports games with no innovation, poor construction, and just a shiny coat of paint because they have no time for anything else, they want it out the door fast to scoop up the cash on day one for the masses who eat it up. I dont own consoles however, so I'm not the one starved for content waiting for games to release.

At my IT office we have saying: "My work is good, fast, and cheap. Please pick two."

You didn't answer, you stated what everyone already knew. We know there are more 'parts', hence why development teams are much larger than they used to be. The reason AAA devs still output garbage is because of the reason the TC wanted to discuss. Development time is too long, therefore 'AAA' devs who want to make a larger profit won't spend the amount of times the games require to reach 'AAA' standard. CoD and AC are also very bad examples. Unfortunately, you seem very confused.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:

Everything. Games many years ago could be made fast because there were less 'parts', less to do, not as much tech to be implemented. The more complex your software gets, the longer it takes to get made and fully tested. TC wants games made in a year or less, I don't want mass produced bullshit, we have enough fast food gaming.

That is a very similar point to one he was making, no? Hence why your post was pointless. Software is more complex now, but as a result, development times are too long. How can we improve development times? Can we improve development times? That's what he wanted to discuss. Perhaps you can do us all a favour and answer those questions for us?

I did answer already. Dev time isnt taking too long, if anything it's too fast. We see garbage spewed out by AAA devs year after year. Those who take their sweet time can eventually craft an amazing product and it shows they care. However you have the likes of CoD and AC and sports games with no innovation, poor construction, and just a shiny coat of paint because they have no time for anything else, they want it out the door fast to scoop up the cash on day one for the masses who eat it up. I dont own consoles however, so I'm not the one starved for content waiting for games to release.

At my IT office we have saying: "My work is good, fast, and cheap. Please pick two."

You didn't answer, you stated what everyone already knew. We know there are more 'parts', hence why development teams are much larger than they used to be. The reason AAA devs still output garbage is because of the reason the TC wanted to discuss. Development time is too long, therefore 'AAA' devs who want to make a larger profit won't spend the amount of times the games require to reach 'AAA' standard. CoD and AC are also very bad examples. Unfortunately, you seem very confused.

waiting 2 years for a game is long? Oh good lord....im done.

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:
@Kusimeka said:
@wis3boi said:

waiting 2 years for a game is long? Oh good lord....im done.

You never started buddy.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

What can speed up game dev? More money and more people, with better project management.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Once commercial game engines (Unity, Unreal, etc.) don't require too much more advancement to satisfy consumers + are easy to use + crossplatform support is streamlined.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

@TheEroica: problem there is that people will start shouting for it. if nintendo had still not announced the zelda wiiu (which they wouldnt until next year given the current state of the game) then there would be hell to pay. same with uncharted which still wouldnt be announed or if MS didnt show halo until much closer to launch.

its impossible to please everyone with game announcements. some will be delighted to know its coming while others will be frustrated that its years away.

anyway 3 years is the correct development time for most good AAA games (at the end of the day the time depends on the game too). 4 years for something really ambitous. 5 years....thats pushing it (probably a sign of development hell). as long as its kept within these time frames (3-4 years) its grand.