What are the worst missions in GTA franchise history? (AKA GTA V f***ing sucks)

• 120 results
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The answer: all of them in Grand Theft Auto V.

Ok, not all of them. Not because any I've played so far are particularly good, but because this series can wildly dip below even the Mariana Trench of bad mission design, it can basically be to video games to what Aljosa is to human beings, and no I'm not beyond throwing Aljosa under the bus for no reason because the metaphor fits.

Let's get a few things clear before this OP starts: I basically never state my opinions here on vidja games anymore as thread openers, I let you guys do the bitchwork there because I'm way too lazy, and I don't care to discuss dissenting opinions in a fashion I deem fit. So consider this me actually being aggravated. Second, I have plenty of issues with this game, but I'll try to avoid them as it's late here; anything that I can't weave into the game's mission design basically being the OKC Thunder's championship chances post-Murica Day will be left out, probably. Third, I'm only partially done with the game, having cleared the third heist and basically wondering if there is a God, and if there is why he is so cruel he made the Housers mainstream.

Most importantly, this game is huge, and accommodates multiple playstyles. Mine is of aiming to clear the story missions, with Strangers and Freaks, and a few side missions here and there when I'm in the mood. While you definitely can make an argument that these games truly shine in their sandbox nature outside of rigid plot points, I'd say it's fair game to say many people played the game like I did, and that how I played it was no means an outlier or unorthodox enough that it shouldn't be paid attention to.

That being said, let's dive in. Or let's not, because that's one of the few missions I found the most aggravating. The open ocean in this game was a cool idea on paper; it literally adds another layer for the player to roam about, making potential getaways a more immersive, aqueous experience. At worst, I'd hope the reduced speed of movement and general lack of things to do could be avoidable, but this game will simply not let it be so.

No, to set up for a heist, I had to sneak onto a ship and go onto Satan in vehicle form, this little bastard right here:

Anyone who isn't a stranger to this game, no doubt you can remember the molasses this sub wades through just to move a fucking inch forward. Anyone who is a stranger, consider yourself dodging a bullet by not picking up this game; this submarine is the test of patience. Remember how we all HATE cinematic walking when the action in a game starts picking up? How about something even slower, that you're forced to move with clunky controls, underwater where visibility sucks, all with the camera stuck up the sub's ass half the time?

So cool, you're in a submarine, right? What other game lets you go wild in a recreation of Los Angeles with a submarine as a vehicle? Well, you tell me, because it's certainly not GTA V. Nope. For this one, you follow a line that looks like this:

Start at X

_____________________________________________________________________________X

||

||

||

||

_____________________________________________________________________________ O

End at O

That's it.

The saying goes, "variety is the spice of life." This mission needs some spice so badly, because it practically sabotages the game's pacing when you're stuck inside a submarine moving at lackluster speed, and you have to do this twice.

Now you may be saying, "ah, but Blab, that's one mission." First off, it's two, you asshole, secondly, let's rewind a bit earlier in the game.

Did anyone like this?

Or this?

When I said this game needs variety badly, THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEANT. This mission is the definition of monotonous, already replacing Nyquil in pharmacies across the globe. By moving the crates around, you aren't world building. You aren't making an unfun act fun in an interactive medium. You aren't contributing anything solid to the game except for setting up a story arc, but making sure to add filler to the arc in the form of these junk objectives. Again, the controls suck. The way you're all but forced to take parts in these tasks completely betrays the open nature of the game otherwise, and it's tedium that I've seen no player justify yet.

Aight, aight, but these are all there for a reason, right? They're setup for the real meat and potaters of the game, the heists. Sometimes, it's the destination more than the journey, and the payoff in these games is supposed to emulate all those gangster flicks we all grew up with.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

This heist is the Merryweather Heist. By all accounts that my brain has had with vidja games, it's one of the most by the number missions I've ever player, consisting of:

1) Driving to a said location

2) Sniping a few guys while you're locked in a spot

3) Planting sticky bombs on a ship, with not much mechanical input other than moving and placing the sticky bombs using basic TPS controls

4) Swimming underwater

5) Using the fucking submarine

6) Sniping more people

THAT'S IT. THAT'S FUCKING IT. There's NOTHING exciting about this mission you've been doing all this bitchwork for. The bitchwork was boring, whatever, but this mission is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Where's the payoff? Where's the sense of accomplishment when your plan goes to perfection? It's not there because none of the things you do in this mission are particularly outstanding; they just involve doing things you've done in other games, but better, or requiring the bare minimum of player interactivity to push along a very scripted narrative. The Merryweather Heist is bad, and if you defend it u r b@d.

I want to contrast this with a game which also suffers from mission design issues, but is in the vein of GTA and has one mission in particular that is EXCELLENT (my caps lock key is begging for mercy). That game is Sleeping Dogs.

That game has you go around with this chick, Peggy Li.

By all accounts, the mission where you hang out with her stinks. She tells you about her big day, she's getting married to your boss, Winston, so you drive her around to pick up wedding shit. It's pretty monotonous, but it provides flavor text at least. Nothing special. This is the bitchwork in the game. However, it sets up one of the most memorable missions I've ever played in a vidja game, ever.

(huge Sleeping Dog spoilers, please avoid if you haven't played the part with her)

The next mission is The Marriage, what I went into thinking would be a ceremonious, dull mission going off the laurels of the past mission. NOPE. You're called into action to defend the wedding from a bunch of thugs only to find this chick and her husband slaughtered, her husband mourning her dead body before he succumbs to his injuries.

This mission is emotionally powerful as a payoff because of the bitchwork you did right before it. It effectively makes you ponder the game's morality, the way the world works because of how your actions before led to the resonating feeling you get after it's done.

So yeah, GTA V sucks at payoff with its missions because it doesn't make them any more exciting than the bitchwork, nor does it use their qualities, whatever they may be, to its advantage in the payoff missions.

What about the missions not directly related to heists? These usually involve some combination of:

1) On foot chases

2) TPS shooting

3) Driving to a point of interest, and then driving afterward

4) Controlling an aerial or water-bound vehicle

and a few other things. At first, these can be exciting, as they are done in the sprawling urban and rural area of Los Santos. This playground effectively increases level design scope to a degree that is unheard of by most games. But what good is a playground with a mean lunch mom?

Rockstar loves to artificially add bounds to the mission. I was taking down jurors for an important case as Franklin, only for one to have "escaped" on a main road while I was on chase with him, failing my mission. GTA V has combat scenarios that, while relatively safe compared to many TPS games, are artificially elongated by the inclusion of three protagonists, giving each a similar objective of "shoot thing in face" just at a different angle. Sure, it's fun to take out a bunch of thugs as Franklin, but do I really have to have a second wave spawn just because you wanted me to control Trevor and take them down?

Beyond the submarine complaints earlier, a lot of the aerial missions are let down by the awful controls of helicopters and airplanes here. Go on reddit and you can find many cool stunts, sure, but there's no arguing that a semblance to the past games in a few regards could go a long way for some vehicles here. Staying in one spot as a helicopter in the air in GTA 4 was beneficial at points, yet it is suddenly difficult to do in GTA V. The missions with airplanes can also show Rockstar's chronic vulnerability to terrible checkpoints. Landing this:

is not an easy task at first. There is a high likelihood that as you get to grips with the controls to land this cleanly you will fail the first few times, whether due to a random tree or a bad mixture of angles and speed on the runway. Yet Rockstar thinks that the last boring ten minutes of flying I took to get to the landing strip was the part of the mission worth repeating for me for mastery's sake, or at least didn't care to check over this checkpoint. Let's be clear, GTA V takes a lot of steps in the right direction to make the checkpoints less aggravating, but I'd still have liked minutes of my life back spent flying again for a mistake I made trying to land early on.

I don't want to harp on much longer, but a few of the following tasks were awful as well:

Yoga

Generic sniper mission number 8347039482938501

Driving to a location, watching a cutscene, driving away

I'm rubbing my strained eyes at this point, so I'm tired and gonna stop here. I reaaalllllyyyy want to write about the fucking shitty torture mission, and how this game big time pussies out of making a statement on something. How the game tries to have its cake and eat it too, how the game's all around shitty MAD Magazine-esque satire really blows hard in this mission. Remember I said I would leave ancillary things out the thread devoted to mission design? This game's satire sucks, it fucking undermines the world created because there's no grip of subtlety at all, everything is Flanderized before you can sneeze, and because there's basically no straight man in this a la Jason Blouth a la Lazlo in the old games a la everyone in The Office who's not Michael, Kevin, Dwight, Andy, or Creed, this game's humor oftentime falls flat. There, I'm done.

TL;DR the game... no screw you. You played a 30+ hour game, you can spend a few minutes here. Either shit post about how wrong I am but at least agree yoga fucking sucks, or look at the pretty pictures. Surely you opened this thread for some reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

TL;DR but I take it you hate GTA V, with a rant like that makes me glad I stayed away from 5, especially after the crapfest that was 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

This novel would make Champ cry. I read a good chunk of the top and skimmed the rest though.

Yoga was actually the last straw for me. I played I think a little past the first heist, wasn't having fun, put it down for a while. Went back a week later, started Yoga and quickly put it right the f*ck back down again.

Life is too short to play QTE yoga, and I find the dry humping Rockstar gets for this series rather baffling. Must be riding the PS2 ones.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

I ain't played GTA V, but this missions suck butt. -5/10

Loading Video...

If you're playing on the pc as well, at no point before this are the keys required, so, it just kicks off with you having no idea what the mapping is.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Honestly I stopped playing GTAV after the tow truck and got bored.

Anyways:

Loading Video...

This shit sucked.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blabadon

@uninspiredcup: yep, good example. Crazy how poorly thought out the non story aspects of the games can be in the mission design.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Any time i have to deal with a flying vehicle, because the controls are fucking garbage. Especially the ones in GTA4.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

TLDR

RC airplane mission in San Andreas is easily the worst

lol uncharted 4 sucks lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Grand Theft Auto V fucking sucked in design... and yet, I bought it twice now >_<

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

The Yoga was painful. I couldn't bring myself to finish this game.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

GTA 5 was easily the worst in the series.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

@samfisher56 said:

GTA 5 was easily the worst in the series.

It's like the only thing close to being a good one, shit I'd argue it's the only good one. That series is suspect as **** when it comes to the actually playing a video game part.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I thought it had great mission design. You're almost always doing something new, and it worked incredibly well.

Seriously, compare it to GTAIV and the differences are night and day. I barely remember any of the missions in the last game. They were all incredibly similar.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Look at this hipster thread. So edgy to hate on the best game ever made.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Watching my roommate play the yoga mission was one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen in my life. I've put random hours into the other GTA games, never a big fan but usually getting around to them later, but I have zero interest in ever trying GTAV because of how absolutely boring the main missions look.

I don't understand why people think rockstar are gods.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

I actually liked a lot of GTA V missions. The game is just awesome all along. Flying is great tbh.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag

@soethi6 said:

I actually liked a lot of GTA V missions. The game is just awesome all along. Flying is great tbh.

The flying is really fun. Most people just suck at it so they say it sucks instead of admitting they are the ones who suck. No different than people who bitch over the flying in Battlefield being "bad" even though some people are gods at it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

I've never liked GTA in 3D. Give me a top down GTA any day, those are awesome. We really need another Chinatown Wars or something.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

People will cry about the OP but Blab makes a lot of good points. Most of the series' worst missions are in GTA V.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

lol

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag

@GreySeal9 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

lol

Hello hipster.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

lol

Hello hipster.

I'd rather be a hipster than someone who thinks GTA V is the best game ever made.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

@darkspineslayer said:

This novel would make Champ cry. I read a good chunk of the top and skimmed the rest though.

Yoga was actually the last straw for me. I played I think a little past the first heist, wasn't having fun, put it down for a while. Went back a week later, started Yoga and quickly put it right the f*ck back down again.

Life is too short to play QTE yoga, and I find the dry humping Rockstar gets for this series rather baffling. Must be riding the PS2 ones.

People are blinded by a cool open world.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NathanDrakeSwag

@GreySeal9 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

lol

Hello hipster.

I'd rather be a hipster than someone who thinks GTA V is the best game ever made.

You should stick to fisher price games like Captain Toad.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreySeal9

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lol

Hello hipster.

You should stick to fisher price games like Captain Toad.

OMG that is so clever. How did you come up with that?

Honestly, dude, you're everything that people hate about internet culture wrapped up into one poster: brash, dumb, and unoriginal.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

The Yoga part was complete utter BS... worst shit ever put into a video game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@Seabas989 said:

Anyways:

Loading Video...

This shit sucked.

This.

Mini helicopter mission is the worst piece of crap ever put into that series.

Any other missions was at least doable, even if they were bad, at least you didn't have to play them a million times just to finish them.

RC Helicopter was an insanely crappy mission in an otherwise great game.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RekonMeister

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Seabas989 said:

Anyways:

Loading Video...

This shit sucked.

This.

Any other missions was at least doable, even if they were bad, at least you didn't have to play them a million times just to finish them.

Was hard as nails, took me more than a few tries originally, but it's actually quite easy, has a learning curve ;)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

My friend actually hates the GTA series and said that sp on GTA V was better than mp...

GTAV is actually one of the few games that deserves the 60$ price tag, along with Witcher series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@LZ71 said:

They practically defined open world adventure/action games, raised the quality presentation (audio/video), pretty much defined the idea of time period games and more to the point make fun games full of content.

Granted they have bumps and duds.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreySeal9

@speak_low said:
@Blabadon said:

Let's get a few things clear before this OP starts: I basically never state my opinions here on vidja games anymore as thread openers, I let you guys do the bitchwork there because I'm way too lazy, and I don't care to discuss dissenting opinions in a fashion I deem fit. So consider this me actually being aggravated. Second, I have plenty of issues with this game, but I'll try to avoid them as it's late here; anything that I can't weave into the game's mission design basically being the OKC Thunder's championship chances post-Murica Day will be left out, probably. Third, I'm only partially done with the game, having cleared the third heist and basically wondering if there is a God, and if there is why he is so cruel he made the Housers mainstream.

You're doing it fine tonight. Keep drunk posting.

I won't read it.

In addition to the post being admittedly too long, you won't read it because you can't bear to hear anything negative about your beloved GTA V.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RekonMeister

Rockstar are gods when it comes to open world, do-whatever-the-fck-you-want gameplay.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreySeal9

@PredatorRules said:

My friend actually hates the GTA series and said that sp on GTA V was better than mp...

GTAV is actually one of the few games that deserves the 60$ price tag, along with Witcher series.

I agree that it deserves the 60$ dollar pricetag but only because it has so much content for the money. That doesn't mean that a good chunk of that content doesn't suck tho.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GreySeal9

@LZ71 said:

Watching my roommate play the yoga mission was one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen in my life. I've put random hours into the other GTA games, never a big fan but usually getting around to them later, but I have zero interest in ever trying GTAV because of how absolutely boring the main missions look.

Me neither and I say this as someone that really likes most of the GTA games. Sorry but a developer who can't master overall game feel is not god-tier in my book. Does GTA V have a better game feel than the other games in the series? Absolutely. Does it still feel awkward? Absolutely. And for everything that GTA V vastly improves in the gameplay department, it cancels out with some excruciatingly terrible missions and a story that's painful even by videogame standards.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blabadon

Plz, that's bullshit brah.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Blabadon:

None of this explains why the game got so many 10/10's and why it's so critically acclaimed. You're definitely in the vocal minority there. ? To me, the dumbest missions were in San Andreas and the older GTA games. The first being the low rider hydraulic dances and the human dances and not to mention the racing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#39 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Some of the missions in GTA: San Andreas, especially the ones towards the end and some of the goofy missions in the beginning.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@rekonmeister said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Seabas989 said:

Anyways:

Loading Video...

This shit sucked.

This.

Was hard as nails, took me more than a few tries originally, but it's actually quite easy, has a learning curve ;)

Agreed. Now every time when I play that mission for some kid who can't get through that mission, I am like "Lol, there used to be a time when we were kids and we used to think it's hard as balls".

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22779 Posts

Wow Blab... Longest opener in SW history. You just put up 20 runs in the first, bud. I read it.

There are so many little activities in gta 5 that are pointless time wasters, but I still think this game has a nautical f***ing mile over the steaming pile of turd known as gta 4. The mini games,( bowling, darts, drinking) may be the worst conceived attempts at side activities I've ever seen... Tylenol PM concentrate in game form. The rest of the game was like trying to wrestle an out of control fire hose... Worst big budget game I've played, maybe ever.

Over all, I enjoyed gta5 though. You could do things that gta 4 struggled with like shooting, driving and walking... . Small steps R*, small steps.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@Seabas989 said:

Anyways:

Loading Video...

This shit sucked.

Hated this on the PC, but at least the Steam Controller made it easier.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

@speak_low said:
@GreySeal9 said:

In addition to the post being admittedly too long, you won't read it because you can't bear to hear anything negative about your beloved GTA V.

No, I've read better negative reviews. The game came out in 2013. I've read it all. You need something really good these days to give me pause.

If you read a negative review about your beloved Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, what type of review do you want to read?

- One that calmly addresses the problem areas, but also admitting that these things could be subjective. A reviewer who also praises many other parts of the game, showing the reviewer understands what the game developers were trying to do...even if they didn't enjoy every single aspect of it. The review is easy to read on the eyes, and there's something professional and balanced that you can admire. Knowing the game developer was trying to present their best to the gamer, the reviewer responds in turn with an equally respectful review. I can dig that.

- Or the other review: full of "bitch this and that," and "are you ****ing kidding me, Nintendo?!?!? wtf man?!?!" complaints. Or the reviews that make others feel bad for enjoying it ("lol Nintendo gamers eat this stuff up??LOL dummies!!" and "f*** s*** p***" everywhere.

I don't spend time on those second type of reviews, and neither would you. He could condense and bullet-point a lot of those negative points, and then I might read it. But his harsh (almost vengeful) tone resembles too much of the second type of reviewer. If someone wrote a looong negative Wii U review in that same style, you wouldn't read it either.

If he was writing an actual paid for review? Sure, but he isn't. He made a forum thread, and considering you hijacked an Evo thread just to shit on NYadc (for being an idiot), wasn't exactly taking the high road sport. You can still very much present a counter argument against his finer points, because it's not like they don't exist. It was actually a fairly thorough post that explained why said mission (missions) didn't work for him.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

"Follow that damn train, CJ!"

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The flying is really fun. Most people just suck at it so they say it sucks instead of admitting they are the ones who suck. No different than people who bitch over the flying in Battlefield being "bad" even though some people are gods at it.

Because it's needlessly messy in a game that really isn't a sim or shit, but then stops your pace dead in its tracks for you to learn a vehicle that isn't exactly tight or snug. The learning curve of vehicles in Battlefield is a product of balancing the game, they sort of need it to be a bit more complicated so the ground stuff can still stay engaging without becoming utterly useless in contrast to the superior air stuff. It's sort of why (among other things) the jets were fucking beast in BF2.

The rest of the game's systems are straight forward as shit and as a result, don't have a learning curve. More to it they aren't exactly ever asking you to thread a needle the way they usually do with their aerial vehicles. Building an argument against the entire game because the flying vehicles suck? Eh that's petty considering it'll be at most like 5 missions out of like 50 (ballparking it), but they aren't exactly Rockstar's shining moments of brilliant game design fam.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Your OP is probably bigger than the one for the GTAV hype thread, but I'll get around to reading it.

I generally dislike missions in the GTA games though. It's the combination of bland missions and historically mediocre mechanics that put me off of these games. I have much more fun just dicking around in the game world than actually progressing the game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Cloud_imperium said:
@rekonmeister said:

Agreed. Now every time when I play that mission for some kid who can't get through that mission, I am like "Lol, there used to be a time when we were kids and we used to think it's hard as balls".

I played it on PS2 and I played it on PC and both of the times the mission really sucked.

It's not that it felt hard, it just felt unfair. Its been a long time, so I don't remember the details, but I remember there being a time limit and that the helicopter had a mind of its own when picking up or dropping off the bombs. Also it wasn't easy to pilot as say the normal helicopter was.

It was just a really stupid mission in an otherwise amazing game.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Blabadon: no one will read all of that, but I think I get your point from skimming it and I mostly agree.

GTA 5 is my favorite of the franchise, because of GTA online and how good the world and characters were.

The missions did suck after a while.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k

You know what sucks about GTA V ?

Media hyped up having three characters as this big revolution in the series. But every time you switch to a character, it's completely scripted. You have barely any control over when to switch a character, and when you do it adds nothing.

GTA IV added way more stuff to the series. It had a better driving system, a better shooting system, a more realised and believable world, random encounters, even the friend system was kinda cool when you could call them for a favor.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I loved every mission of GTA V even the dumb ones.

OP rather plays movies AKA UC4... nuff said