What are the odds that the PS5 will be completely BC with all Playstation console games?

• 68 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What are the odds that the PS5 will be completely BC with all Playstation console games? (87 votes)

100 % guaranteed to happen, I can see it on my crystal ball 6%
50 / 50 chance, now that Xbox is going that route 31%
0 percent chance, are you kidding me? 63%

Imagine if Sony comes out of nowhere and announces that the PS5 can play ALL Playstation games from PS1 through PS4. You think it could happen, SW? What are the chances? I don't see it happen with all, just PS4. But it would be a bombshell if it did happen. Agreed?

• 
scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:

PS1 - Games don't scale to HD very well...

PS2 - Despite having somewhat of a working emulator they've only released games that didn't really use and tax the VU0 and VU1 on the Emotion Engine, it's these games that are a ball ache to emulate and require a lot CPU power....so it might have limited support.

PS3 - While RSX is a bog standard PC GPU and will be easy to emulate, Cell is the complete opposite and will be a complete bastard, not just from a compiler point of view but from the sheer grunt needed to run the code..... As an FYI Cell's ring bus ran at 300Gb/s and they'll really, really, really struggle to get that at the same speed on an emulator.

CELL's SPEs are just a variant from PowerPC Altivec with 128 registers with 256 KB local memory wall. The problem with SPEs are the 6 units magnitude i.e. that six 128bit SIMD units to be emulated not including PPE's 128bit SIMD unit.

Each SPE has 256 KB local memory. This is why I selected Skylake-X 8 core with each core has 1MB L2 cache (split by 2 with HyperThreads)

With Xbox 360, only 3 PPE Altivec with 128 registers are needed to be emulated. A single PPE Altivec core at 3.2Ghz is divided into two via hyperthreading, which two Jaguar CPU cores at 1.75Ghz can cover.

Intel/AMD AVX v2 with FMA3 hardware maps better with PowerPC's Altivec FMA3 features.

Thank you for that pointless copy and paste information that has jack shit to do with why post.

Please do not reply to me in the future.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:

PS2 - Despite having somewhat of a working emulator they've only released games that didn't really use and tax the VU0 and VU1 on the Emotion Engine, it's these games that are a ball ache to emulate and require a lot CPU power....so it might have limited support.

PS3 - While RSX is a bog standard PC GPU and will be easy to emulate, Cell is the complete opposite and will be a complete bastard, not just from a compiler point of view but from the sheer grunt needed to run the code..... As an FYI Cell's ring bus ran at 300Gb/s and they'll really, really, really struggle to get that at the same speed on an emulator.

CELL's SPEs are just a variant from PowerPC Altivec with 128 registers with 256 KB local memory wall. The problem with SPEs are the 6 units magnitude i.e. that six 128bit SIMD units to be emulated not including PPE's 128bit SIMD unit.

Each SPE has 256 KB local memory. This is why I selected Skylake-X 8 core with each core has 1MB L2 cache (split by 2 with HyperThreads)

With Xbox 360, only 3 PPE Altivec with 128 registers are needed to be emulated. A single PPE Altivec core at 3.2Ghz is divided into two via hyperthreading, which two Jaguar CPU cores at 1.75Ghz can cover.

Intel/AMD AVX v2 with FMA3 hardware maps better with PowerPC's Altivec FMA3 features.

Thank you for that pointless copy and paste information that has jack shit to do with why post.

You don't know shit about PowerPC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Pretty simple really, if the PS5 is BC with the PS4 then BC will matter to cows and they will be praising Sony for it. Now if it isn't cows will say BC doesn't matter, and still praise Sony anyway.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#54 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

It should be BC with the PS4, the only excuse for the PS4 is that the PS3 had the cell.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 scatteh316

@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@scatteh316 said:

You don't know shit about PowerPC.

Given you past claims and pure self-ownage you are the last person in this entire forum to question people's technical know-how.

And in regards to part in bold, it would appear you can't read either.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 scatteh316

@i_p_daily said:

Pretty simple really, if the PS5 is BC with the PS4 then BC will matter to cows and they will be praising Sony for it. Now if it isn't cows will say BC doesn't matter, and still praise Sony anyway.

Pretty simple really, if Sony announce full BC and have no new games to play then BC will be the best thing since sliced bread. If they announce full PS4 BC and have new games to play it'll be a nice bonus.

Lemmings need to understand that BC is no substitute for a lack of decent, AAAE first party games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#57 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I hope there's bc with PS4. Not that interested in previous consoles tho

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Zero, ziltch, nada.. Cows only watch day one new games and after watching them they sell them to GS. Sheeesh, ya think Phony hasn't been listening to their fans? :P

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Outside the ps4, there's no way in hell ^^

And even for the ps4 i'm not quite sure :)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

can you buy and download PS2 games from PSN onto any PS3? did they manage to fully emulate the PS2 on the PS3 through software?

anywho everything bar maybe the PS3 should be doable. the PS3 could be a problem.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Doubtful, at launch. I can see this happening if Nintendo or Microsoft being more competitive with the PS5 (regarding market share), then this could be a big E3 announcement a couple years post launch.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#62 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@theone86: wiiu plays all Wii games both on Wii store and retail and I paid 0 a second time .. ps2 plays ps1 as does ps3 plus early ps3 plays all ps1 and 2 so saying it's not how it works is total bs

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Every single cow should have voted 0 chance followed by "I don't want BC, I don't purchase new consoles to play last gen games. BC is an unnecessary feature that we don't want". Up till release then it's "BC done right, it's the greatest feature to have. I'm glad I don't have to keep my PS4 plugged in"

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

It'll probably play PS4 games out of the box, as it certainly will have similar, albeit far stronger, hardware. PS3? Not likely, as it would require a beast of a machine to emulate that weird architecture.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Probably just with PS1 and PS4.

PS2/PS3 - will probably be Digital/Streaming

Honestly, I don't give shite about BC. I'd rather much have a powerful PS5 focusing on PS5 games and digital downloads of past games. BC is a neat convenient feature but it's definitely not a priority feature that I desperately need.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@mariokart64fan said:

@theone86: wiiu plays all Wii games both on Wii store and retail and I paid 0 a second time .. ps2 plays ps1 as does ps3 plus early ps3 plays all ps1 and 2 so saying it's not how it works is total bs

Did the Wii U play Gamecube games? Did it play N64 games? Could you transfer all your digital games from the Wii for no charge? Can you play your Wii games on the Switch? And the PS4 has zero backwards compatibility. Don't tell me this is how it already works, because it's not.

@goldenelementxl said:

Nintendo's success with the NES and SNES classic kinda proves consumers will buy old shit again even though they own it all already. The future is gonna be difficult for you entitled gamers

Right, gamers want to be able to play the software they purchased on different systems and devs want gamers to pay for the same games over and over again, but GAMERS are the ones who are entitled. That's some bass-ackwards logic,right there.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@theone86: If gamers didn’t buy the stuff, the Devs wouldn’t make it. Developers are in the business of making money and would be stupid to leave millions on the table. That being said, the vocal minority, “hardcore” aka entitled gamer cries on message boards anytime the are asked to spend money. If Devs made new systems that played all the old games we would have even fewer studios and exclusives than we do now. Software sales drive the industry. And looking at the success of the remasters this gen, I would say the majority of consumers are fine with it. The issue is those pesky kids on the internet that “vote with their wallets” and just watch the games on Twitch anyway. $60 is too much for a game, DLC and micro transactions are evil, paid online is a scam, DRM is bad, backwards compatibility is a right etc. That’s a bunch of ways to say I want games and I don’t want to spend money on anything.

I wonder where the hobby would be today if devs and pubs catered to these people....

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

@theone86: If gamers didn’t buy the stuff, the Devs wouldn’t make it. Developers are in the business of making money and would be stupid to leave millions on the table. That being said, the vocal minority, “hardcore” aka entitled gamer cries on message boards anytime the are asked to spend money. If Devs made new systems that played all the old games we would have even fewer studios and exclusives than we do now. Software sales drive the industry. And looking at the success of the remasters this gen, I would say the majority of consumers are fine with it. The issue is those pesky kids on the internet that “vote with their wallets” and just watch the games on Twitch anyway. $60 is too much for a game, DLC and micro transactions are evil, paid online is a scam, DRM is bad, backwards compatibility is a right etc. That’s a bunch of ways to say I want games and I don’t want to spend money on anything.

I wonder where the hobby would be today if devs and pubs catered to these people....

Except they already spent money on the games. Like I said, you're calling gamers entitled for wanting to play a product they already paid for, while studios are insisting it's their right to get paid twice. Bass. Ackwards.

And that's the way things work on Steam, they seem to be doing fine these days.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#69 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I find it funny that youd call it a bombshell. #OLDGAMES