Wahh wahh.....Graphics dont mattar!!........Can we please stop saying this?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Here's how I see it:

Game A: 1/10 graphics. 10/10 gameplay.

vs

Game B: 10/10 graphics, 9/10 gameplay.

Graphics is the core of the game, how fun it actually is. So to me, game A will always be better than game B, simply because game A offers more enjoyment.

Everything else is a compliment, but when it boils down to it, gameplay > everything else, because gameplay is core enjoyment we get from a game. Sure it might be nice to have nice graphics, but that's all it is - nice.

So to answer the question, graphics do matter, but not nearly as much as gameplay. What's the point in playing a crap game with great graphics? And why dismiss a game that has completely horrible graphics when the gameplay offers so much enjoyment?

And the fact that people did play games with 8 bit graphics without complaining is a testimony to how gameplay really matters, not graphics. If graphics mattered as much as some people say, then people in the 70's wouldn't of even touched that games. Same goes for the 80's and 90's.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Dem Graphics Matter Guys!

This game isn't in HD, therefore it's terrible.

This game is in HD Guys! Best Game Ever!

LegatoSkyheart

I think you really missed the point of these thread.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I don't care about graphics. When I go back to play a game, it's not because it looks pretty.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#54 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

yes graphics have to be up to par. its like why even buy a next gen console then? because of updated graphics.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

People are lying to themselves when they say graphics do not matter.

All you have to do is look at anyone who has bought a current-gen system

trickmyster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 trickmyster13
Member since 2005 • 2017 Posts
lol why are bb misc trolls posting on gamespot?
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#58 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Art style matters more than graphics. there are many snes games that i think look a lot better than black ops. I think it is very important how the graphics are designed, but not important how much power is behind them. I love my uncharted and I love my pokemon silver. In the end, the most important thing is the gameplay and the other game elements.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#59 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

GD1551

Or is it that TC has compeletly missed the point on why some of us say that Graphics Don't Matter?

That was pretty much MY point.

I could have easily used Terraria and Crysis as simple examples instead of Tatsunoko and Marvel.

One's Sprite Base and One is hailed as the Graphics King and Both have been said to be Good games with Terraria seemingly to have More Replay Value than Crysis and Yet Graphics Matter?

consoles evolve for Eye Candy sure and in today's day and age you really can't do a simple job on any Current Gen Console and make it look like it was for the N64 without it being SO INNOVATIVE like Minecraft or Rock of Ages or something like that.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Or is it that TC has compeletly missed the point on why some of us say that Graphics Don't Matter?

That was pretty much MY point.

I could have easily used Terraria and Crysis as simple examples instead of Tatsunoko and Marvel.

One's Sprite Base and One is hailed as the Graphics King and Both have been said to be Good games with Terraria seemingly to have More Replay Value than Crysis and Yet Graphics Matter?

consoles evolve for Eye Candy sure and in today's day and age you really can't do a simple job on any Current Gen Console and make it look like it was for the N64 without it being SO INNOVATIVE like Minecraft or Rock of Ages or something like that.

The TC is pretty much saying graphics + gameplay > gameplay without the graphics.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LegatoSkyheart

The TC is pretty much saying graphics + gameplay > gameplay without the graphics.

GD1551

and yet this exsits.

and this.

and this exsits (and got nominated for GAME OF THE YEAR HERE!)

2D GAMES! O EM GEE They're totally not pushing any hardware here.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

-rant-

StrongDeadlift

Sorry to break this to you TC.....but....graphics don't mattar.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

LegatoSkyheart

and yet this exsits.

and this.

You don't need to push hardware to have modern visuals..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#64 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

Ehh, in my opinion it's less about "visuals" and more "art style."

A technically superior game with bland visual design is vastly inferior to a technically inferior game with an extremely cohesive visual design.

---

But yeah, the traditional western way of thinking is the more realistic a game looks = the better it is.

That's actually a trend that's been in western thinking for thousands of years dating all the way back to the Greeks + Romans.

peterw007
this
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

and yet this exsits.

and this.

"Modern visuals"

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

and yet this exsits.

and this.

LegatoSkyheart

"Modern visuals"

What are you exactly trying to prove here? I am telling you this thread is basically saying graphics + gameplay > gameplay without the graphics. Do you think zelda would be any worse if it had ps3 level visuals?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LegatoSkyheart

What are you exactly trying to prove here? I am telling you this thread is basically saying graphics + gameplay > gameplay without the graphics. Do you think zelda would be any worse if it had ps3 level visuals?

GD1551

No, I'm pretty much saying that You don't have to have Amazing Visuals aka Graphics for a game to be Good.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

LegatoSkyheart

No, I'm pretty much saying that You don't have to have Amazing Visuals aka Graphics for a game to be Good.

Err we knew that, but this thread was about having gameplay and graphics being better than just having 1.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46326 Posts

Of course graphics matter ... otherwise we would still be playing dos games where you have to type what your ingame character has to do next.

But they don't matter as much as system wars makes it seem i.e. those 2 pixel differences between a 360 and PS3 version.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

How would you justify the fact that most of the "best in the genre" games are universally considered to be games that are not from this generation? PS1 games for jRPGs, Black Isle and early BioWare games for wRPGs, UT/Quake/Doom for FPSs, SC/AoE for RTSs...

Seriously, what a bull**** argument :|

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Maybe they matter for devs who don't have anything else to offer ...

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

graphics are the least of my worries im not playing the graphics really thats just a visual representation of the game, the gameplay is where it really counts for me tbh.

woodenfork21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 woodenfork21
Member since 2011 • 454 Posts
To be fair, it all really started last gen when the ps2 has crap graphics and the Xbox had elite graphics out the consoles. It was legitimately the graphics powerhouse out of last gens systems. That's when cows started spouting out that graphics don't matter n all this nonsense. Because there was no way in hell the ps2 could compete against the Xbox's graphics. Now this gen it seems to be all about graphics for them, which is strange. So a lot people threw the "graphics don't matter" line back at them, and here we are....
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44570 Posts
Graphics do matter, it's just that places like System Wars narrowly define graphics in terms of resolution, AA, frames per second, but not enough do we really articulate something like how far the aesthetics of artistic design really stimulate the visual senses. Plus back to the more superficial qualities even a game with low resolution, lower textures, trade off can be an increase in frame rate for a smoother gameplay experience, allowing for more special effects to be used, games that do this don't get nearly the same level of recognition for their design. Having a pissing contest of which close-up bullshots look better is really crap when seeing how such graphics matter in the scope of how a game is played, so you can still give a lot of merit to graphics just make sure it makes sense in the context of how it'll matter in the game.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Graphics do matter, this is not to say games with bad graphics can't be good.millerlight89
Exactly! ^^^ You can have an AMAZING game that looks below average on graphics. Or you can have an AMAZING looking game that plays like crud. anyone remember GTA3? that game looked terrible but it was very popular.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#76 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Good art direction is more important than pushing graphical power.

The Conduit might be a considered technical powerhouse for Wii hardware, but it still ends up looking ugly as sin since it looks so generic, bland and boring. Killzone 2/3 might look amazing for the PS3 hardware since it's pushing it to it's limits, but the art is bland and boring and it uses way too much blurriness.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Great graphics are awesome.