Wahh wahh.....Graphics dont mattar!!........Can we please stop saying this?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Graphics have ALWAYS mattered, and ALWAYS will continue to matter. The only reason people say "graphix dont matter" is because they are defending, justifying, or making an excuse for an inferiority in their product. If said inferiority did not exist, and their product was up to industry standards, you would not see said person posting this ALL THE TIME, because they would not feel a need to constantly reassure themselves of this.

And I love when people respond "because graphics are EVERYTHING right? :roll: " (note: they always remember to use that emoticon). Yea, way to take the complete opposite extreme to discredit the initial arguement :roll: (couldnt be bothered looking up which logical fallacy this was). Nobody says graphics are "everything", but they sure as hell matter. Tell me, what is the point in the Wii-U even existing? What is the point in new consoles in general? If you love your inferior graphics so much, you would have no problem if nintendo just stayed with the Wii would you? (this is not a nintendo bash thread, just one example). Let me ask you something else....why does the 3DS have better graphics than the DS? What was the point of nintendo doing that if graphics dont matter? Why not just keep the same hardware as the original DS and just add 3D? Why does the Wii U have better graphics than the 360 and PS3 (and wii for that matter)? If you are OK with graphics, you should have no problem if Nintendo just kept the same specs as the Wii but with all the benefits of the Wii U and the new logo on the front. Why did nintendo feel the need to increase the specs of their console? Oh, thats right! because graphics MATTER ;).

Im not going to point any fingers (*ahem...sheep*) but you NEVER hear PC fans screaming "graphics dont matter" 100 times in every thread where graphics are mentioned. Just saying. Just like you never hear PS3 fanboys talking bad about graphics. It is ALWAYS members of the Nintendo camp,( and to a much lesser extent the 360 camp) which by SHEER coincidence just happen to not have the advantage of using graphics as a talking point ;). Just saying. (and yes im aware that the PS3 and 360 are visually on par and have the exact same memory, im not even trying to open that bag of worms).

In conclusion, If YOU truely dont care about graphics as much as you act like you dont, then that is one thing. What you have to realize is that YOU do not represent everybody. In fact, you are in the minority. Visuals are just as much a part of the experience as anything else, and play an important role in immersion. We get it, you are willing to "settle" for inferior graphics due to other tradeoffs. We do not need to hear you post this 100 times in every single thread justifying your console of choice's inferiorities (IE. the Skyward Sword damage control thread on the front page. it is noone elses problem that the company you support refuses to conform to industry standards)

Discuss.

Lexter45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lexter45
Member since 2011 • 1204 Posts
How are people who don't care about good graphics in the minority? Black Ops is one of the most played titles this gen. :?
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

TLDR

But I like graphics they matter but in a sense that I want good games to have good graphics. I'll take Twilight Princess over Uncharted 2 any day of the week but I'd still rather have Twilight Princess with Ucharted level graphics.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Ehh, in my opinion it's less about "visuals" and more "art style."

A technically superior game with bland visual design is vastly inferior to a technically inferior game with an extremely cohesive visual design.

---

But yeah, the traditional western way of thinking is the more realistic a game looks = the better it is.

That's actually a trend that's been in western thinking for thousands of years dating all the way back to the Greeks + Romans.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StrongDeadlift

TLDR

But I like graphics they matter but in a sense that I want good games to have good graphics. I'll take Twilight Princess over Uncharted 2 any day of the week but I'd still rather have Twilight Princess with Ucharted level graphics.

Jolt_counter119
This is exactly what I am trying to say. Sheep act like if they had a magic button that would make the Wii magically have 360/PS3 visuals, they WOULDNT push it :roll:. We get it, you have inferior visuals. We dont need to hear you justify it over and over again in every graphics thread.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Yes, It's all about Dem Graphics these days.

If it ain't got Dem Graphics. It ain't worth it. Dem Graphics are all that Gaming is now, Just look at Crysis, Poor Crysis, doesn't get praised one bit for the actual game play it has, in fact if it wasn't for the 360 trailer I wouldn't have known there was a Snow Place in it or even a Plot that could possibly rival Halo or Perfect Dark or something to that extent.

No instead it's known for it's Graphics and how realistic it is with the Trees and the Water and The beach.

Heck I think some of you were even dissapointed on how Crysis 2 looked even though it's supposed to be using an Upgraded Engine.

Oh and then there's Battlefield 3, Beautiful Game now isn't it. The game is all Eye Candy, I admit that even I want the max settings just to look at how glorious it is.

But sadly in the end, Battlefield 3 will be nothing more than the same old Battlefield we've been playing, but now it has Dem Graphics and we all have to jump right on it.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

They don't really.. it still depends on the game.

HD WOULD be nice, but it isn't necessary. If Uncharted/GOW looked like Zelda:SS, it would still be amazing.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Graphics don't matter if the game is great even with crappy graphics but good graphics are nice. :) Although sometimes simple sprite graphics work better for some games than full blown CG.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongDeadlift
How are people who don't care about good graphics in the minority? Black Ops is one of the most played titles this gen. :?Lexter45
Black ops, while it doesnt compete with the higher tier titles on 360 and PS3, it is well within industry standards. Unlike, most games on the Wii for example, hence, the big ass 13 page Skyward Sword damage control thread on the front page right now. That thread would not exist right now if the Wii had PS3/360 hardware. And if the Wii had PC level hardware, there would instead be a big ass thread showing off screenshots calling it the "new crysis". Yea, graphics dont matter right? :roll:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Graphics are something done to create a competitive edge. Same thing with new hardware. You think they wouldn't try to cell you a 15 year old computer for top dollar if they could? I don't really care much for graphics. I just want fun. Whatever they do to achieve that is fine. But no, I still play NES games and SNES games and PS1 games and Gamecube games, a well made game is all I request. Bleeding edge tech doesn't matter to me, I don't need it to enjoy gaming whther its "pushing" gaming forward or not.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

This pretty much sums it all up. Though it is true some games don't rely on graphics to get the point across as much as others.

Lexter45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lexter45
Member since 2011 • 1204 Posts
[QUOTE="Lexter45"]How are people who don't care about good graphics in the minority? Black Ops is one of the most played titles this gen. :?StrongDeadlift
Black ops, while it doesnt compete with the higher tier titles on 360 and PS3, it is well within industry standards. Unlike, most games on the Wii for example, hence, the big ass 13 page Skyward Sword damage control thread on the front page right now. That thread would not exist right now if the Wii had PS3/360 hardware. And if the Wii had PC level hardware, there would instead be a big ass thread showing off screenshots calling it the "new crysis". Yea, graphics dont matter right? :roll:

Not to me, and this is from a PC gamer. Fantastic Art Design > Realistic Graphics. Some games can do both like TW2, But still...
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Dem Graphics Matter Guys!

This game isn't in HD, therefore it's terrible.

This game is in HD Guys! Best Game Ever!

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Graphics do matter, this is not to say games with bad graphics can't be good.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActicEdge

Dem Graphics Matter Guys!

This game isn't in HD, therefore it's terrible.

This game is in HD Guys! Best Game Ever!

LegatoSkyheart

Its funny cause tats is soo much better then MVC3

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

As I've said before...

Cow: LOL LOOK AT THIS PS3 EXCLUSIVE IT HAS SLIGHTLY HIGHER TEXTUIRES THAN YOUR FAILURE XBOX360 EXCLUSIVE!!!11

Lemming: STUPID NOOB, OUR EXCLUSIVE HAS SLIGHTLY BETTER LIGHTING!!!11 GO BACK TO YOUR CRAPSTATION 3!!11.

Hermit: Hey if you guys want to talk about graphics, why not check out the PC? Games like Crysis and Shogun 2: Total War offer superior graphics that are very noticable in comparison to their console counter-parts at noticabley higher resolutions and anti-aliasing.

Lemming/Cow: LOL STUPID HERMIT, WHO LOOKS AT GRAPHICS ALL DAY LOL!!111 I CAN'T SEE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR CRAP PC GAMES AND MY SUPER CONSOLE GAMES!!111 DELUSIONAL HERMIT NOOB GO ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES!!111 GAMEPLAY IS THE ONLY THING DAT MATTERS!!11 xD

Sheep: Hey guys, have you seen the new Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword gameplay? The gameplay looks really fun, I can't wait to play Zelda with 1:1 motion controls!

Lemming/Cow: LOL PS2 GRAPHICS!!111 UGLY BLURRY CRAP!!!111 GRAPHICS ARE SO BAD!!11 COME BACK WHEN UR CONSOLE IS HD!!111 xD

Sheep: Well, how about the Wii U? Loads of companies such as Crytek and DICE have praised its specs and is looking like it'll be the console to start next-gen.

Lemming/Cow: LOL OUTDATED PIECE OF CRAP!!!111TYPICAL SHEEP FOLLOWING NINTENDO BLINDLY!111

Sigh.. Atleast decide whether you guys find gameplay or graphics more important.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I would rather have a game with mediocore graphics but steller gameplay than a game with AMAZING graphics but poor gameplay, but of course...that's just me.

Now what would be great is if all games could have not only Amazing graphics but also steller game play. That would be win win. Unforchently, not ever game can have both.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Graphics are always more glamorous then programing. Too bad.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
They matter sure, but I'm not going to skip a game due to it having bad graphics. If that was the case I wouldn't play all the PS2 games I missed and DS games I do. Also there is more to new consoles than just better graphics.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

TL;DR

Good graphics don't make a good game. There's a reason my SNES is still plugged in.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongDeadlift
Graphics do matter, this is not to say games with bad graphics can't be good.millerlight89
This. Nobody is saying that the game cant be good. We are just saying that graphics matter. Its like the fat ugly girl in highschool who NEVER stops talking about how the pretty popular cheerleader is "such a slut/whore", when the cheerleader is actually a decent person, nice, with a 4.0gpa"
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

TL;DR

Good graphics don't make a good game. There's a reason my SNES is still plugged in.

Zophar87
SNES graphics are good :|
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I love nice graphics and all, but just because a game has great graphics doesn't mean it will be great. There is something called gameplay that matters and if a game doesn't have good gameplay it will suck just like Liar.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
TL;DR No they don't I play quakelive all the time and do not want better graphics. It just makes it harder to play.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongDeadlift

As I've said before...

Cow: LOL LOOK AT THIS PS3 EXCLUSIVE IT HAS SLIGHTLY HIGHER TEXTUIRES THAN YOUR FAILURE XBOX360 EXCLUSIVE!!!11

Lemming: STUPID NOOB, OUR EXCLUSIVE HAS SLIGHTLY BETTER LIGHTING!!!11 GO BACK TO YOUR CRAPSTATION 3!!11.

Hermit: Hey if you guys want to talk about graphics, why not check out the PC? Games like Crysis and Shogun 2: Total War offer superior graphics that are very noticable in comparison to their console counter-parts at noticabley higher resolutions and anti-aliasing.

Lemming/Cow: LOL STUPID HERMIT, WHO LOOKS AT GRAPHICS ALL DAY LOL!!111 I CAN'T SEE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR CRAP PC GAMES AND MY SUPER CONSOLE GAMES!!111 DELUSIONAL HERMIT NOOB GO ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES!!111 GAMEPLAY IS THE ONLY THING DAT MATTERS!!11 xD

Sheep: Hey guys, have you seen the new Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword gameplay? The gameplay looks really fun, I can't wait to play Zelda with 1:1 motion controls!

Lemming/Cow: LOL PS2 GRAPHICS!!111 UGLY BLURRY CRAP!!!111 GRAPHICS ARE SO BAD!!11 COME BACK WHEN UR CONSOLE IS HD!!111 xD

Sheep: Well, how about the Wii U? Loads of companies such as Crytek and DICE have praised its specs and is looking like it'll be the console to start next-gen.

Lemming/Cow: LOL OUTDATED PIECE OF CRAP!!!111TYPICAL SHEEP FOLLOWING NINTENDO BLINDLY!111

Sigh.. Atleast decide whether you guys find gameplay or graphics more important.

Vesica_Prime

In defense of console gamers, most of us dont deny that graphics are relevant. it is mostly sheep. That being said, sheep have made GRAPHICS and GAMEPLAY out to be mutually exclusive, as if you cannot have both at the same time. 360 fanboys also did this for most of the gen, but they have calmed down for the most part (as nobody really cares about PS3 vs 360 anymore). The only party I see complaining about visuals not mattering are nintendo fanboys.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#27 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Graphics matter somewhat but here's the order of how I thinkthings oughta be:

1. Gameplay
  2. Controls
  3. Freshness
  4. Graphics
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

As I've said before...

StrongDeadlift

In defense of console gamers, most of us dont deny that graphics are relevant. it is mostly sheep. That being said, sheep have made GRAPHICS and GAMEPLAY out to be mutually exclusive, as if you cannot have both at the same time. 360 fanboys also did this for most of the gen, but they have calmed down for the most part (as nobody really cares about PS3 vs 360 anymore). The only party I see complaining about visuals not mattering are nintendo fanboys.

Obviously it makes sense nintendo fans are going to tell you graphics don't matter much. They bought and are enjoying a system with inferior graphics. Obviously the lack of HD resolution and higher poly models hasn't made them enjoy their games any less and they are defending that view point.

Anyway, great graphics are great, no one is going to turn down something nice to play the same thing but uglier but obviously its not a big deal if they can still find great quality games to play on essentially last generation technology. I am in the camp that doesn't need the Uncharted 3 or even Something middling like Dark Sector graphics to enjoy a game. The graphics don't have "that" much impact for me. A Wii on an HD TV can be pretty jarring at first but you adjust and the best looking titles do fine for themselves.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Technical graphics don't really matter, but good looking visuals are important. All that matters is that the game is pleasing you visually and that doesn't require high-end graphics.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

1. Gameplay
  2. Controls
  3. Freshness
  4. Graphics

Demonjoe93

Let me expand on that.

1. Gameplay (how the game is fun and engaging)

2. Fluidity (how the game handles)

3. Originality (how the game innovates)

4. Art style (how the game is visually designed)

5. Technical graphics (how pretty the game is in terms of realism)

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#31 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

1. Gameplay
  2. Controls
  3. Freshness
  4. Graphics

peterw007

Let me expand on that.

2. Fluidity (how the game plays)

Yours is better. :P

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Let me expand on that.

2. Fluidity (how the game handles)

peterw007

peter wins the thread ;)

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If you are going to sit there and stare at a screen for hundreds or even thousands of hours it better be a good picture on it. Graphics matter, probably second or third behind gameplay and possibly story.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18250 Posts

Graphics matter, but not as much as people claim here, if that were the case, everyboy in this forum would be PC gamers.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

wii, ps2, ds all I need to provide that huge essay false

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

How are people who don't care about good graphics in the minority? Black Ops is one of the most played titles this gen. :?Lexter45

Oh snap!

On topic: Of course graphics matter. Improved graphical capability is one of the main reasons we look forward to new hardware, and better graphics mean a clearer and more defined game world, which can, and has, translated to gameplay.

This gen have seen a lot of flip flopping stances from fanboys in regards to graphics on all fronts, and yet they still aren't all that important compared to gameplay.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Graphics don't mean everything to everybody. That's all that needs to be said.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Graphics is one component of a video game.

You could have good gfx/crap game (Crysis)

You could have crap gfx/good game (Wii)

Also take note that graphics and aesthetics are 2 seperate things.

Graphics is the technical means of pushing pixels.

Aesthetics is how the game looks artistically.

Gears 3 and UC are not graphically impressive, because the hardware isn't impressive.

They are aesthetically impressive. The worlds best artists made decisions and choices that make the games look awesome.

Just like Wii games look awesome at 480i.

So yes graphics matter, but not nearly as much as people think it does.

The artwork matters 100x more than the graphics.

And the gameplay matters 1000x more than graphics.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

I just came to say...

Graphics don't mattar!!

solidoutlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 solidoutlaw
Member since 2009 • 9988 Posts

Graphics don't mean much. The only important part of graphics is the overall art style. Other than that, it should come long after gameplay, story, music and sound, etc.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#41 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I still have fun with pokemon on handhelds
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Of course gameplay>graphics, if I have to choose. Nothing wrong with getting both though :|

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Of course gameplay>graphics, if I have to choose. Nothing wrong with getting both though :|

santoron

That's very true, but why do PS3 and 360 fans think they're getting both when they're not and rag on Nintendo fans for not caring? :?

Funky_Connor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Funky_Connor
Member since 2011 • 417 Posts

Yeah graphics do matter. I straight up just refuse to play a game that is ugly to look at. If Gears 3 didn't have such good graphics I don't think it would have sold so much because it is more fun to play games that look great (if the gameplay is good). If Uncharted 3 looked bad, it wouldn't be that much fun.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

graphics have never mattered to me, never, i can appreciate a good looking game, but i refuse to buy a game because it looks pretty but looks like a bad game (lair?) just like id be disgusted with myself if i decided to not buy a game because of its graphics

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

[QUOTE="santoron"]

Bigboi500

That's very true, but why do PS3 and 360 fans think they're getting both when they're not and rag on Nintendo fans for not caring? :?

That's the $64,000 question. :lol: Nobody flips more on the importance of graphics than HD console fanboys. If they are fighting against a Wii game then graphics (and not artstyle, we're talking resolution mainly) reign supreme. If they are fighting each other, then the Slightest difference in graphics spurs hundreds of posts debating it. If they are fighting against PC... graphics don't matter. Just the way they do things

Kiyobear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kiyobear
Member since 2009 • 836 Posts

I am currently playing Planescape Torment and Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade on the PC and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on my ps3. I like pretty pictures, too; but I love these three games. I love the hand drawn environments of Planescape.

games5522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 games5522
Member since 2005 • 2909 Posts

With all of the graphics capailities of modern consoles and computers they could have stuck with PS2-era graphics to make MUCH larger games.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*skips wall of text* there's a difference between not mattering and judging a game by its graphics alone. graphics do matter, but if you rule out a great game because it's not pretty, well... i'll talk to you in 5 years, when your "pretty" game will be considered ugly.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Of course graphics matter. But are graphics more important than gameplay? That's the real question.

Also, what are good graphics is subjective matter. You can come in and paste your latest Crysis mods yet they will leave me unimpressed whereas an unique and strange looking game might impress me.

And the Wii-U exists because Wii sales are slumping (1st reason) and to deliver new games, new ways of playing games, better 3rd party support and, yes, better graphics as well.