Very interesting article on Edge review scores

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

Im pretty sure EDGE give the scores they do for the lulz.

Really, why do any of you care? Go to other sources for your reviews.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#102 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

A bias, when used in the context that HE USED it, means a prejudice.

The other context it could be used would be for me to say that "the week that the games got reviewed on introduces a bias to his data set."

It implies nothing relating to EDGE or their integrity as a publication. So either he has proven absolutely NOTHING about EDGE(which is what I am saying to begin with), or he is ignoring statistically significant variables which thereby invalidates any conclusions that he came to with his data set.

ogvampire

You can keep claiming this, but it won't make it true, because that wasn't what he stated. Besides, it doesn't matter the cause. The bias is self evident to anyone reading here. You can try and deny it all you want but until you come up with some actual facts to deny with, you're not convincing anyone (probably not even yourself).

i love how logic and 'facts' are such fickle things in sw

once again, IF edge was biased towards the ps3, then how did they score several ps3 games higher than the metacritic average?

i would love to know why this 'fact' is ignored

So, if I'm a raging black hater, I can't ever, not even once, be nice to a black? If you're going to make claim to logic, at least have some. Bias is PATTERN, not a hard core, never broken RULE.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9169 Posts

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.Hahadouken

the 360 was underrated too... guess theyre biased towards the 360 as well then

Was it underrated to the same degree as the PS3? No, and that's the point. It's not whether they score lower in general (this is known), but whether they favor a particular platform. We have no way of seeing into their minds, but based on the evidence we have, yes, they are harsher on PS3 games than 360 games.

yup... they must have been really harsh when they gave those 3 ps3 exclusives a '10' rating... right?

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

This doesn't deal with their writing. This deals purely with the review scores. They are showing a clear pattern of bias (and over a VERY LONG PERIOD OF TIME). The only way to argue with this is to show some stats that contradict it. And please, stop with the 'isn't a fanboy' BS. I could easily flip that statement and it would have exactly the same weight, none. Show some evidence to back up your position for pity sakes. DerekLoffin

I will say this. There is a correlation between games being on the PS3 and them getting a lower score from EDGE. The data presented does not prove anything beyond a correlation. No matter how much you try to insist that it does, it simply does not. That is a FACT. What the REAL cause for the correlation is, I do not know. How knows, maybe there is some sort of prejudice against the PS3. There is however, no significant proof of this. End of story.

And if you want to simply argue that there is a correlation, fine. But that WASN'T the intent of the article. The article was intending to prove an overt agenda on the part of EDGE to rate PS3 games lower. And the simple fact remains that the data does not support such a conclusion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Stats don't lie. Hahadouken
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Benjamin Disraeli disagrees with you ...

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

Have you ever actually bothered to READ EDGE? Or are you basing everything you say on scores that EDGE really doesn't care about(they tried to stop giving games scores altogether).

EDGE is not biased. Anyone who isn't a fanboy that has actually bothered to read the magazine can tell you this. But whatever... I give up. You guys can keep on with your conspiracy theories and put on your tinfoil hats, but I can't even begin to express how poorly founded most of your assumptions are.

KingsMessenger

Assumptions? Dude. GRAPHS. STATS. Stats don't lie. We can't prove what they think, but we can prove what they have done. What "assumptions" are people making that aren't based on this graph and article?

\

CONCLUSIONS MADE BASED ON STATISTICS ARE NOT VALID UNLESS YOU CAN ISOLATE THE VARIABLES AND PROVE A DIRECT CAUSATION. THESE STATISTICS DO NOT DO THAT.

WHAT WOULD PROVE THIS CAUSATION? IF WE LITERALLY OPENED UP THEIR BRAINS AND DISSECTED THEIR THOUGHTS, IS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE A CAUSATION? P.S. STOP YELLING, IT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR POINT ANY MORE RELEVANT.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] This doesn't deal with their writing. This deals purely with the review scores. They are showing a clear pattern of bias (and over a VERY LONG PERIOD OF TIME). The only way to argue with this is to show some stats that contradict it. And please, stop with the 'isn't a fanboy' BS. I could easily flip that statement and it would have exactly the same weight, none. Show some evidence to back up your position for pity sakes. KingsMessenger

I will say this. There is a correlation between games being on the PS3 and them getting a lower score from EDGE. The data presented does not prove anything beyond a correlation. No matter how much you try to insist that it does, it simply does not. That is a FACT. What the REAL cause for the correlation is, I do not know. How knows, maybe there is some sort of prejudice against the PS3. There is however, no significant proof of this. End of story.

Thank you, and likewise I will concede this, we don't know the cause. Maybe their PS3's just happen to be bad. Maybe the guys doing the review scores were told the scale only went to 8. It could be many things.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

the 360 was underrated too... guess theyre biased towards the 360 as well then

ogvampire

Was it underrated to the same degree as the PS3? No, and that's the point. It's not whether they score lower in general (this is known), but whether they favor a particular platform. We have no way of seeing into their minds, but based on the evidence we have, yes, they are harsher on PS3 games than 360 games.

yup... they must have been really harsh when they gave those 3 ps3 exclusives a '10' rating... right?

Your anecdotal offerings < research over a broad period of time encompassing many games and many sources.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] You can keep claiming this, but it won't make it true, because that wasn't what he stated. Besides, it doesn't matter the cause. The bias is self evident to anyone reading here. You can try and deny it all you want but until you come up with some actual facts to deny with, you're not convincing anyone (probably not even yourself).DerekLoffin

once again, IF edge was biased towards the ps3, then how did they score several ps3 games higher than the metacritic average?

So, if I'm a raging black hater, I can't ever, not even once, be nice to a black? If you're going to make claim to logic, at least have some. Bias is PATTERN, not a hard core, never broken RULE.

yes... and there isnt a pattern since they rated more than a couple ps3 exclusives HIGHER than the metacritic average

once again, this comparison does NOT work with edge since they score things differently than EVERY OTHER SITE on metacritic... why is that so hard for people to understand?

if youre gonna say edge is biased cause they score ps3 games lower than metacritic, then you could say they are biased towards the 360 for doing the same thing

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
You guys do realize that the Metascore for PS3 exclusives is not made with the exact same sources as 360 exclusives? PSFocus and OPM did not review Halo ODST, nor did Team Xbox review Heavy Rain. Besides, not every multiplat source review every game. Not really an accurate comparison.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts

[QUOTE="tok1879"] And all of a sudden, you're starting to make sense. But you still failed with your CO2 example as it seemed to me like you were presenting a straw argument. And your excuse for the day they receive review copies doesn't make much sense either. That said, i could help you out with a possible explanation. Perhaps they don't enjoy the ps3 controller as much as they do that of the 360 resulting in a less enjoyable experience. Or maybe the XMB interface is too cluttered for them. I agree though that i wouldn't have come to that conclusion that directly. But the data is there, and it shows that they score ps3 games much less than they do for 360 games on average. And unless you can come up with how the data is flawed, how else can one prove the bias without having them confess to it?KingsMessenger

You can't prove a bias. Not just because it doesn't exists. But also because there is no way to isolate it within any data set.

Feel free to continue with your conspiracy theories, but I suggest you actually try to read their magazine and then come back and tell me it is biased.

"not just because it doesn't exists..." You seem to be so sure. Is it like a gut feeling or something? Or do you work at Edge? Do you understand that even if according to you, his premise was not justification enough for his conclusion, that it is still in the realm of possibility that Edge actually might be bias against the ps3 in their reviews? So what is reading the magazine going to do? Is it going to change the way I see the scores handed out to ps3 games?
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 KingsMessenger

WHAT WOULD PROVE THIS CAUSATION? IF WE LITERALLY OPENED UP THEIR BRAINS AND DISSECTED THEIR THOUGHTS, IS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE A CAUSATION? P.S. STOP YELLING, IT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR POINT ANY MORE RELEVANT.Hahadouken

Honestly, it would be possible to create a more reliable data set if he had data on the magazine cycle, the date review copies were sent, the play conditions that each game was reviewed under, personal stress factors for each of the reviews graphed over a period of time. And then, if those factors were isolated and then the data was examined, THEN it would be a far more valid correlation. Enough to infact come to the conclusion that it is highly likely that the results are causal. But such a data set is not feasible or practical to create for such a small overall data set... To much data would have to be thrown out to normalize everything.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="tok1879"] And all of a sudden, you're starting to make sense. But you still failed with your CO2 example as it seemed to me like you were presenting a straw argument. And your excuse for the day they receive review copies doesn't make much sense either. That said, i could help you out with a possible explanation. Perhaps they don't enjoy the ps3 controller as much as they do that of the 360 resulting in a less enjoyable experience. Or maybe the XMB interface is too cluttered for them. I agree though that i wouldn't have come to that conclusion that directly. But the data is there, and it shows that they score ps3 games much less than they do for 360 games on average. And unless you can come up with how the data is flawed, how else can one prove the bias without having them confess to it?tok1879

You can't prove a bias. Not just because it doesn't exists. But also because there is no way to isolate it within any data set.

Feel free to continue with your conspiracy theories, but I suggest you actually try to read their magazine and then come back and tell me it is biased.

"not just because it doesn't exists..." You seem to be so sure. Is it like a gut feeling or something? Or do you work at Edge? Do you understand that even if according to you, his premise was not justification enough for his conclusion, that it is still in the realm of possibility that Edge actually might be bias against the ps3 in their reviews? So what is reading the magazine going to do? Is it going to change the way I see the scores handed out to ps3 games?

I am relatively certain. Not completely certain, but honestly... Do you REALLY think that a bunch of veteran journalists who have been doing this for decades would REALLY have an overt bias against a particular console? REALLY? Care to explain how this is plausible or logical?

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

yes... and there isnt a pattern since they rated more than a couple ps3 exclusives HIGHER than the metacritic average

once again, this comparison does NOT work with edge since they score things differently than EVERY OTHER SITE on metacritic... why is that so hard for people to understand?

if youre gonna say edge is biased cause they score ps3 games lower than metacritic, then you could say they are biased towards the 360 for doing the same thing

If it was simply that Edge is a bit odd, that would be fine if 360, multiplatform, and ps3 all came out to be about the same difference from the average. That would show that the bias isn't affected by platform. However, it clearly is affected by platform (at least in so far as the games analyzed). One or two outliers do not a pattern make, nor break, and in this case, clearly, even with those 10s taken into account, the pattern is against the PS3 and much more than either multiplatforms or Xbox 360 titles. And again, yes they are biased against 360, just NOT NEARLY AS MUCH, and that is the important bit you seem to be missing. You can be a harsh reviewer, but to be unbiased, those harsh reviews should be universal, not platform tilted (and again, not saying this is due to prejudice, maybe the selection of game generas for PS3 is to their particular dislike, but it is nonetheless a bias).
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

[QUOTE="angelkimne"]The data in the article is correct, yes, but data is still just data. Honestly, I think it's just a coincidence. Edge have praised Ps3 plenty, not just in the review section either.88mphSlayer

obviously

ps3 launch

ps3

You know that people who write features are completely different from the review crew of them right? But regardless, cover stories are meant to sell the magazine.

Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Ninja-Bear
Member since 2010 • 1028 Posts
Note to system wars - some guy's blog is not a source, nor is it an 'article'.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] Was it underrated to the same degree as the PS3? No, and that's the point. It's not whether they score lower in general (this is known), but whether they favor a particular platform. We have no way of seeing into their minds, but based on the evidence we have, yes, they are harsher on PS3 games than 360 games. Hahadouken

Your anecdotal offerings < research over a broad period of time encompassing many games and many sources.

yeah, cause there is nothing more scientific and easily proven than opinions :| are you cereal?

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] WHAT WOULD PROVE THIS CAUSATION? IF WE LITERALLY OPENED UP THEIR BRAINS AND DISSECTED THEIR THOUGHTS, IS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE A CAUSATION? P.S. STOP YELLING, IT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR POINT ANY MORE RELEVANT.KingsMessenger

Honestly, it would be possible to create a more reliable data set if he had data on the magazine cycle, the date review copies were sent, the play conditions that each game was reviewed under, personal stress factors for each of the reviews graphed over a period of time. And then, if those factors were isolated and then the data was examined, THEN it would be a far more valid correlation. Enough to infact come to the conclusion that it is highly likely that the results are causal. But such a data set is not feasible or practical to create for such a small overall data set... To much data would have to be thrown out to normalize everything.

All that said, it's still just more of what you don't like, assumptions. You can never outright prove someones motivation, all you can do is analyze the data you have.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="tok1879"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

KingsMessenger

I am relatively certain. Not completely certain, but honestly... Do you REALLY think that a bunch of veteran journalists who have been doing this for decades would REALLY have an overt bias against a particular console? REALLY? Care to explain how this is plausible or logical?

I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-63f6895020e66

all you can do is analyze the data you have.Hahadouken

Which is incomplete, insufficient, and is being comparared to different control subjects.

Not enough to make any solid judgement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#122 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm sure that Edge isn't a 100% objective news source. I have yet to find any media outlet that is. However, I highly doubt that Edge is "out to get Sony". Edge is a western publication. They may have a subconscious preference for more western centered games. It's easier to like something when you understand the underlying concepts, pop culture references, etc. better.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

"not just because it doesn't exists..." You seem to be so sure. Is it like a gut feeling or something? Or do you work at Edge? Do you understand that even if according to you, his premise was not justification enough for his conclusion, that it is still in the realm of possibility that Edge actually might be bias against the ps3 in their reviews? So what is reading the magazine going to do? Is it going to change the way I see the scores handed out to ps3 games? tok1879

I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.

How about analyising all the sources that metacritic uses and see if some of those sites artificially raise a score as they really are biased?
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

yeah, cause there is nothing more scientific and easily proven than opinions :| are you cereal?

I am convinced you have no idea what's being discussed here. Your opinions > other opinions? Please clarify.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 tok1879

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

No, that would be them being harsher to ALL games. But compared to metacritic reviews they are nicer to 360 games than they are to ps3 games.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] WHAT WOULD PROVE THIS CAUSATION? IF WE LITERALLY OPENED UP THEIR BRAINS AND DISSECTED THEIR THOUGHTS, IS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE A CAUSATION? P.S. STOP YELLING, IT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR POINT ANY MORE RELEVANT.Hahadouken

All that said, it's still just more of what you don't like, assumptions. You can never outright prove someones motivation, all you can do is analyze the data you have.

Yeah. But, to draw a conclusion from statistics like this, you NEED to isolate as many variables as possible. The fact that this leaves so many factors unaccounted for automatically weakens the validity of any conclusions made based on the data.

Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Ninja-Bear
Member since 2010 • 1028 Posts
Facts: EDGE scored PS3 games lower than metacritic *on average* EDGE scored SOME ps3 games the SAME as metacritic EDGE scored SOME ps3 games EVEN HIGHER than metacritic EDGE did not give the LOWEST score out of all publications on many occassions EDGE has done a number of pro-PS3 features and articles, and many anti-360 particularly in regard to LIVE fees and hardware reliability Taking all that into account, the cow conclusion is - EDGE are biased. :roll: This only confirms Adam Sessler's video on PS3 fans having a persecution complex in regard to all of their exclusive games; no score is ever high enough, no review ever good enough. Everyone is out to do these games down. It's ridiculous. Could it not possibly be that EDGE simply didn't like some of these games? That they didn't buy into the hype? Go back and actually look at the games which they reviewed lower than average, not just raw data, and ask yourself if that particular game was really robbed of a higher score. I doubt it. And one more fact: 90% of the people who say EDGE are biased have never read an issue of EDGE in their lives.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 KingsMessenger

I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.DerekLoffin

Journalism isn't immune to bias. However, gaming on the Xbox 360 is really not that different from gaming on the PS3. And trying to claim that EDGE would try to purposely rate one system's games lower than another system's games just doesn't make any sense. What motivation is there for such an action? Honestly?

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 DerekLoffin

How about analyising all the sources that metacritic uses and see if some of those sites artificially raise a score as they really are biased?blue_hazy_basic
Someone already posted something that might work (although he'd have to show it's significantly altering the scores on meta) which is to look at the single platform sites/mags and see if they're tilting the meta score unfairly. Feel free to give that a whirl, although that is going to be a hard one to prove too since you'd have to show a significant (and likewise biased) alteration of the meta score.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.KingsMessenger

Journalism isn't immune to bias. However, gaming on the Xbox 360 is really not that different from gaming on the PS3. And trying to claim that EDGE would try to purposely rate one system's games lower than another system's games just doesn't make any sense. What motivation is there for such an action? Honestly?

Who said they're doing it on purpose? Heck even many prejudice people tend to do their prejudice actions out of impulse, not conscious thought. And what purpose could it serve? Maybe their readership is Xbox fan heavy and catering to them sells more magazines. It is a UK mag after all, and UK is known to be tilted to 360, at least if we use console and software sales as a judge.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] How about analyising all the sources that metacritic uses and see if some of those sites artificially raise a score as they really are biased?DerekLoffin

Someone already posted something that might work (although he'd have to show it's significantly altering the scores on meta) which is to look at the single platform sites/mags and see if they're tilting the meta score unfairly. Feel free to give that a whirl, although that is going to be a hard one to prove too since you'd have to show a significant (and likewise biased) alteration of the meta score.

No, I don't care enough. I just think its funny that fanboys feel slighted that because somewhere isn't giving their precious exclusives huge scores then they must intrinsically be biased or be bought off by MS. Its like the conspiracy theorists about 9/11 or the moon landing. They have loads of evidence to back up theories, doesn't mean its true.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 tok1879

KingsMessenger

So it's a gut feeling then. Well I think you hold too much faith in humanity. Not that this is that serious after all it's only video-games we're debating here, but people with more serious responsibilities have been known to do worse.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
LOL. Someone should do this for GS. I'd love to see it.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#134 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"] 90% of the people who say EDGE are biased have never read an issue of EDGE in their lives.

You had me until here, which I assume is a joke.
Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Xalaten
Member since 2006 • 965 Posts

From the article, it is implied to be a prejudice. He states that EDGE has "bias to give Xbox 360 exclusives higher scores and PS3 exclusives lower scores."

That implies a preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment, which is implies a prejudice.

KingsMessenger

No, it states what exactly it shows, a bias. A bias is a bias. It is you assuming that the only cause he is allowing for it is prejudice when he said nothing of the sort. I would say it could well be due to prejudice as a chief suspect, but I wouldn't say that was the conclusion made because it wasn't. If you want to counter this argument at this point, you got no choice but to start some number crunching of your own.

A bias, when used in the context that HE USED it, means a prejudice.

The other context it could be used would be for me to say that "the week that the games got reviewed on introduces a bias to his data set."

It implies nothing relating to EDGE or their integrity as a publication. So either he has proven absolutely NOTHING about EDGE(which is what I am saying to begin with), or he is ignoring statistically significant variables which thereby invalidates any conclusions that he came to with his data set.

He proved nothing about Edge except for the fact that they rate 360 games higher on average (7 points higher between the top 30) than PS3 games. Like I said, that data is inarguable. I also said you are free to do with that data what you'd like. You chose to put your lemming glasses on and ignore it. I choose to believe there is some form of bias. Three or four games is a possible coincidence. Dozens of games is a trend.
Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Xalaten

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.IronBass

If we want talk about validity, the very fact that we are talking about subjective scores make all kind of comparisons invalid, because of the beautiful "I have a different tastes".

Secondly, the sites that review 360 and PS3 exclusives are not the same.

PS3: The Official Magazine and PSFocusdid not review Halo ODST, did they?

So no, the control subject is not the same. The metascore for 360 exclusives is not calculated with the exact same sources as PS3 exclusives, making all comparisons flawed.

Yet here in System Wars we compare Gamespot scores to claim "ownage" when different reviewers, and thus different variables, review the games. So by your definition participation in System Wars is flawed.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]

Hahadouken

I am convinced you have no idea what's being discussed here. Your opinions > other opinions? Please clarify.

this 'research' is trying to use opinions to prove other opinions as 'biased'

this is further complicated by the fact that EDGE is being compared to sites that use a somewhat different scoring system

edge is just different... simple as that

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 tok1879

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.KingsMessenger

You know it's quite possible for them to simply have a preference, right? You know like how "journalists" from MSNBC are more likely to be leaning left and those from FOX are more likely leaning right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-63f6895020e66
So by your definition participation in System Wars is flawed. Xalaten
Totally. I don't think there's anyone that thinks the contrary.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.DerekLoffin

Who said they're doing it on purpose? Heck even many prejudice people tend to do their prejudice actions out of impulse, not conscious thought. And what purpose could it serve? Maybe their readership is Xbox fan heavy and catering to them sells more magazines. It is a UK mag after all, and UK is known to be tilted to 360, at least if we use console and software sales as a judge.

their fanbase is largely international and mainly composed of industry types like game developers, publishers, and other journalists, in addition to their fanbase of hardcore gamers

I don't believe it really skews towards one platform or another.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 DerekLoffin
[QUOTE="Xalaten"] Yet here in System Wars we compare Gamespot scores to claim "ownage" when different reviewers, and thus different variables, review the games. So by your definition participation in System Wars is flawed.

System Wars IS terribly terribly flawed :P
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] I'm pretty sure you don't want to go there. Journalism is not known for its stellar record of non-bias, or heck even its non-prejudice. At all levels, scientific, political, tv news, etc, there are all kinds of biases, due to market pressures, axes to grind, and numerous other causes. Being a journalist in no may makes you immune to bias or worse prejudice. Not saying that is the case here, but it is not a good defense in general.tok1879

You know it's quite possible for them to simply have a preference, right? You know like how "journalists" from MSNBC are more likely to be leaning left and those from FOX are more likely leaning right.

console gaming is console gaming. And despite what some fanboys think, there is really not much difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both give similar experiences, and honestly I don't see how, outside of brand loyalty, fanboyism or a factor like experience on said platform, a person could specifically like one over the other. And EDGE has certainly not been nice to the Xbox 360 regarding its hardware issues, so it isn't like they are ignoring that.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Its so obvious Edge has something against the PS3. The data presented basically confirmed this.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Xalaten

KingsMessenger

I already explained to you MY opinion on the matter. You ignored it so I'll share it with you again. I challenge you to tell me there is no way my opinion could possibly be correct. The 360 is VASTLY more popular in the UK than the PS3. Edge is a UK magazine. Do you not think it's possible that due to this simple fact the magazine, as a whole OR the reviewers, would throw a bit of favoritism towards their favorite son? I'd be curious to know the percentage of ad revenue that Microsoft generates in Edge in comparison to Sony. Logic dictates if more gamers in the UK have a 360 that more gamers who read Edge would be 360 gamers. Thus, ad space would be more desirable from Microsoft. That is just ONE theory. Lets face facts, money is important to magazines nowadays. INCREDIBLY important since video game magazines have fallen on such hard times. You're going to go where you can earn the most money. Currently, in the UK, the 360 generates MUCH more revenue. Instead of saying I'm wrong (and I may be, it's just an opinion) explain to me how this is not possible. If it IS possible, then I have just given you one reason to refute what you have said as to why journalists would show favoritism. P.S. - Journalism is corrupt everywhere nowadays. There is almost no such thing anymore as unbiased journalism. Every news station, at least in the US, leans a certain way.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#145 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

Its so obvious Edge has something against the PS3. The data presented basically confirmed this.

W1NGMAN-
Confirmed? No, no it doesn't. Correlation does not equal causation.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

W1NGMAN-

are you kiddin?

i mean, just look at how much bias they against the Wii:

wiinis

i mean look at that, not 1 stinkin' review for the Wii!

how pathetic

/for the lulz folks, just for the lulz

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Xalaten
I think one thing that CAN be said is that someway, somehow, Edge reviewers are out of touch with the majority of other reviewers.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
I will give them the benefit of the doubt and call them just "inconsistent"
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

I think one thing that CAN be said is that someway, somehow, Edge reviewers are out of touch with the majority of other reviewers.Xalaten

well that would be an interesting point if that made any sense

reviewing isn't about doing what everybody else is doing, it's about giving the game sitting in front of you a score

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
LOL. Someone should do this for GS. I'd love to see it. wstfld
Someone did, they did this for a ton of sites, Eurogamer, Gamespot, Gametrailers, IGN, they all had similar scores, small deviations from the norm on both platforms, nothing that stood out, Edge was the only one that had such a drastic difference in scores. This lem denial is lol worthy.