Very interesting article on Edge review scores

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

I think the style of reviewing used by Edge is much fairer than everywhere else. Places where 75 is an average, that gives you only 25% of scores to show satisfaction and whopping 75% of scorelines to convey a below average, mediocre or bad game. It hardly seems fair. A 7 is a very decent game, an 8 is a very good game, a 9 is a great game and a 10 is a generation defining classic. Whereas in most places you get high scores thrown about with little distinction between them because it would be a percieved insult to give a massive franchise anything below a 9.

Edge is one of the only places which gets it absolutely right.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#52 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

[QUOTE="tok1879"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

LOGIC IS NOT MY FRIEND? Seriously, take a freaking science or statistics class.

"Since the 1950s, both the atmospheric CO2 level and crime levels have increased sharply.

Hence, atmospheric CO2 causes crime."

How is that logical? That is EXACTLY what the blog is doing and exactly what the person I quoted was doing.

Just because two data sets have correlating trends does NOT mean that they are linked.

KingsMessenger

Too late. I have. And i repeat. LOGIC iS NOT YOUR FRIEND!! Do I see a straw somewhere in that quote?

Please explain what is wrong with my statements? Honestly? I am just dying to hear what you have to say.

Depends what you're trying to argue. If you're trying to argue that the presentation doesn't prove high review scores lead to higher sales, you'd be right. However, if you're trying to argue that Edge isn't showing a pattern of bias, you'd be wrong. Bias itself is not a cause, it is a description of a pattern that we are witnessing.
Cevesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Cevesun
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think the style of reviewing used by Edge is much fairer than everywhere else. Places where 75 is an average, that gives you only 25% of scores to show satisfaction and whopping 75% of scorelines to convey a below average, mediocre or bad game. It hardly seems fair. A 7 is a very decent game, an 8 is a very good game, a 9 is a great game and a 10 is a generation defining classic. Whereas in most places you get high scores thrown about with little distinction between them because it would be a percieved insult to give a massive franchise anything below a 9.

Chemical_Viking

It sounds good on paper but the data they presented makes it suspect that EDGE is biased. There's a trend that on average they deliver worse scores to the PS3. While SOME scores like LBP was perfect, the data underlines how there's a large gap between the difference in scoring between the 360 and Sony, much bigger then it should it, were it simply mere coincidence.

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts

LOGIC IS NOT MY FRIEND? Seriously, take a freaking science or statistics class.

"Since the 1950s, both the atmospheric CO2 level and crime levels have increased sharply.

Hence, atmospheric CO2 causes crime."

How is that logical? That is EXACTLY what the blog is doing and exactly what the person I quoted was doing.

Just because two data sets have correlating trends does NOT mean that they are linked.

KingsMessenger

Too late. I have. And i repeat. LOGIC iS NOT YOUR FRIEND!! Do I see a straw somewhere in that quote?

Please explain what is wrong with my statements? Honestly? I am just dying to hear what you have to say.

With which statements? The one with atmospheric CO2? We're not talking about atmospheric CO2 here. There's no clear correlation in CO2 and crime levels and if there were, it would be abstract at best. But here, metacritic scores are made of single reviews from different publications. Each individual review clearly affects the metacritic score though to a different degree based on how many reviews there are for that game and the weight Metacritic places on each review. That said, unless you could prove to us that his selection process for the top games he picked was flawed, everything he did seemed pretty rational to me.
Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

[QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

Cevesun

It sounds good on paper but the data they presented makes it suspect that EDGE is biased. There's a trend that on average they deliver worse scores to the PS3. While SOME scores like LBP was perfect, the data underlines how there's a large gap between the difference in scoring between the 360 and Sony, much bigger then it should it, were it simply mere coincidence.

There is always a percieved bias in almost everything and it's very rarely true. I've never noticed a particular bias in Edge and I've been reading it for years. If there was, I wouldn't buy it.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

I agree that he shouldn't have come to a full conclusion like, as I would have been reluctant to do so. I'ld have let everyone used the vital organ in their skull to come to their conclusions. But can you explain to me how the data is useless or insignificant? And if YOU were to conduct a test like this, how exactly would you go about it, sir?tok1879

I wouldn't that how. There is no viable way for proving anything beyond a correlation. The ONLY way you could even CLAIM anything beyond that is if you have a bias of your own, which would influence your interpretation of the data and would void the entire interpretation anyway.

Also, as I said before, unless you can isolate the THOUSANDS of other factors, then there is NOTHING to this claim. Ask anyone who has EVER done critical reviews for a magazine, like it or not, the day that you get the review copy in DOES influence the score a game gets. When you are facing a deadline and you are stressed beyond belief, you tend to score things lower. And that is just one possible factor. There are thousands of additional factors.

That is just the FIRST problem with this.

There are also the factors of why he created this in the first place(fanboyish bias of his own). Plus the specific nature of EDGE as a magazine and how they treat their scoring of games. And I could continue on for hours, but I think that I am done.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="Cevesun"]

Chemical_Viking

There is always a percieved bias in almost everything and it's very rarely true. I've never noticed a particular bias in Edge and I've been reading it for years. If there was, I wouldn't buy it.

Or maybe you just can't accept facts. As the man said, this doesn't touch on their written stuff, but their scores are clearly showing a pattern of bias. You want to show otherwise, then crunch the numbers and come up with a counter post, but frankly I think you'd just end up supporting them even more.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Did Edge give a PS3 game a low score recently or something? I remember when cows used to scream that GS was biased too ... :roll:
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

Yet another EDGE topic about how EDGE is bias and yet all it takes into account is the bloody score.

The magazine is for reading, not for numbers and statistics. When other publications are as complete and professional as EDGE is, perhaps then I will give them a chance, but since they arent, and I enjoy actually reading the articles I will stick with it.

I have disagreed with them a number of times, but their reviews are informative, well written and professional. If they are displaying a pattern, then that is all it is.

You guys need to stop getting so bent out of shape over the sodding numbers.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="tok1879"] I agree that he shouldn't have come to a full conclusion like, as I would have been reluctant to do so. I'ld have let everyone used the vital organ in their skull to come to their conclusions. But can you explain to me how the data is useless or insignificant? And if YOU were to conduct a test like this, how exactly would you go about it, sir?KingsMessenger

I wouldn't that how. There is no viable way for proving anything beyond a correlation. The ONLY way you could even CLAIM anything beyond that is if you have a bias of your own, which would influence your interpretation of the data and would void the entire interpretation anyway.

Also, as I said before, unless you can isolate the THOUSANDS of other factors, then there is NOTHING to this claim. Ask anyone who has EVER done critical reviews for a magazine, like it or not, the day that you get the review copy in DOES influence the score a game gets. When you are facing a deadline and you are stressed beyond belief, you tend to score things lower. And that is just one possible factor. There are thousands of additional factors.

That is just the FIRST problem with this.

There are also the factors of why he created this in the first place(fanboyish bias of his own). Plus the specific nature of EDGE as a magazine and how they treat their scoring of games. And I could continue on for hours, but I think that I am done.

If they are scoring PS3 games lower due to stress, that too is a bias. Again, bias itself isn't a particular cause, don't confuse it with something prejudice (which is a particular form of bias). It is a description of a pattern of behavior that could have a wide variety of causes.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="tok1879"] Too late. I have. And i repeat. LOGIC iS NOT YOUR FRIEND!! Do I see a straw somewhere in that quote?tok1879

With which statements? The one with atmospheric CO2? We're not talking about atmospheric CO2 here. There's no clear correlation in CO2 and crime levels and if there were, it would be abstract at best. But here, metacritic scores are made of single reviews from different publications. Each individual review clearly affects the metacritic score though to a different degree based on how many reviews there are for that game and the weight Metacritic places on each review. That said, unless you could prove to us that his selection process for the top games he picked was flawed, everything he did seemed pretty rational to me.

Wow you completely missed the point of my CO2 comment... Amazing. I thought it was obvious, but you proved me wrong.

What I was TRYING to show was that just because you can correlate two data trends does not make them inherently linked. Just because EDGE tends to give PS3 games lower scores do NOT mean that there is any sort of bias there. Could be some other factor that is not at all related to bias. Hence my example of the day they receive the review copy from Sony. That is just one possible explanation.

Also, I wasn't challenging his data set. His data set is perfectly valid. What I am challenging is the assumptions made from said data sit. There is not one single valid assumption that anyone can make from his data outside of the fact that there is a CORRELATION between games being on the PS3 and them receiving lower scores from EDGE than the overall Metacritic score. But that in itself is a useless and insignificant little fact.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
I've firmly believed this for a while, it's nice to have the backing of someone who has actually done the research and made graphs. Graphs are full of win. ;) Now hopefully the "PS3 conspiracy!!!!" crap can end, it's clear that EDGE has an agenda, it's not just "butthurt fanboys crying over PS3 scores".
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I don't why some people on this thread is rejecting the statement made by the article. It has solid numbers to back up the premise. But worse of all I don't get why people would defend EDGE at all.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9161 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Explain how please? Also if I was a fanboy and wrote the 360 has an extremely high fail rate does that somehow not make it true?

Espada12

Jesus, you can use slanted statistics to make any case you want. Metacritic consistently uses scores for PS3 exclusives that are slanted - Case in point PS3 exclusives are 12 pts higher on average on metacritic than Edge therefore metacritic is biased. :roll:

Wow that's some logic you got there, it's not as though metacritic is a collection of everyone else scores.....

the thing is that its already been said that edge scores games differently than every other site/magazine... therefore since Metacritic is a collection of said sites/magazines, it wouldnt be a fair measuring stick

fact is, IF edge was biased against the ps3, then how did they score some ps3 games higher than metacritic?

point is, edge just has different tastes

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KingsMessenger

If they are scoring PS3 games lower due to stress, that too is a bias. Again, bias itself isn't a particular cause, don't confuse it with something prejudice (which is a particular form of bias). It is a description of a pattern of behavior that could have a wide variety of causes. DerekLoffin

From the article, it is implied to be a prejudice, which is what I am addressing here. He states that EDGE has "bias to give Xbox 360 exclusives higher scores and PS3 exclusives lower scores."

That implies a preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment, which implies a prejudice.

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 tok1879
[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

The data isn't flawed to be honest. It maybe a fanboy blog but doesn't make it any less true.

tok1879

It is inherently flawed given the scoring system employed by EDGE. Sometime as simple as the week that a game is scored could drop the scores from EDGE because they do not have a single scoring criteria beyond "Whatever you feel like giving it."

For all we know, Sony could send review copies to PS3 exclusives towards the end of the magazine cycle when the EDGE reviewers are under a lot more stress and would be more easily aggravated.

Also, all this proves is a correlation, not a causation. Until you can prove a causal link between the platform and the score, all you have here is an ultimately insignificant trend. The meat behind a review in EDGE is what is written. Can't say that for a number of other review sources, but it IS the case for EDGE.

I don't think logic is your friend. On topic. I'm trying to find a hole in his presentation even though i pretty much agree with it, but i can't seem to find any. Can anyone come up with any suggestions? Something that doesn't have to do with what week of the month certain game exclusives are being reviewed.

GOT IT! Came up with one. Well not really a strong one but one nonetheless. The argument will still be true and the conclusion false if any or both of the follow occurred. 1. The 360 exclusive publications on average overrated 360 games. 2. The ps3 exclusive publications on average underrated ps3 games. If either were true, it could have the effect of pulling the 360 up closer to their Metacritic scores and have an opposite effect on the ps3 reviews.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

As much as I deslike Edge, comparing their scores to Metacritic is flawed.

Metacritic does not add all scores and then devides that number by the number of sources. They have their own system. So it's not really an average in the strict sense of the word.

And, as someone else said, with so few examples, it could simply be coincidence.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Hahadouken
[QUOTE="IronBass"]As much as I deslike Edge, comparing their scores to Metacritic is flawed. Metacritic does not add all scores and then devides that number by the number of sources. They have their own system. So it's really an average in the strict sense of the word. And, as someone else said, with so few examples, it could simply be coincidence.

The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] If they are scoring PS3 games lower due to stress, that too is a bias. Again, bias itself isn't a particular cause, don't confuse it with something prejudice (which is a particular form of bias). It is a description of a pattern of behavior that could have a wide variety of causes. KingsMessenger

From the article, it is implied to be a prejudice. He states that EDGE has "bias to give Xbox 360 exclusives higher scores and PS3 exclusives lower scores."

That implies a preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment, which is implies a prejudice.

No, it states what exactly it shows, a bias. A bias is a bias. It is you assuming that the only cause he is allowing for it is prejudice when he said nothing of the sort. I would say it could well be due to prejudice as a chief suspect, but I wouldn't say that was the conclusion made because it wasn't. If you want to counter this argument at this point, you got no choice but to start some number crunching of your own.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ogvampire

[QUOTE="IronBass"]As much as I deslike Edge, comparing their scores to Metacritic is flawed. Metacritic does not add all scores and then devides that number by the number of sources. They have their own system. So it's really an average in the strict sense of the word. And, as someone else said, with so few examples, it could simply be coincidence.Hahadouken
The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.

the 360 was underrated too... guess theyre biased towards the 360 as well then

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

N4g? sorry no won't be giving it hits, wish I could read the article though *as long as its not an n4g article*

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ogvampire

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] If they are scoring PS3 games lower due to stress, that too is a bias. Again, bias itself isn't a particular cause, don't confuse it with something prejudice (which is a particular form of bias). It is a description of a pattern of behavior that could have a wide variety of causes. DerekLoffin

From the article, it is implied to be a prejudice. He states that EDGE has "bias to give Xbox 360 exclusives higher scores and PS3 exclusives lower scores."

That implies a preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment, which is implies a prejudice.

No, it states what exactly it shows, a bias. A bias is a bias. It is you assuming that the only cause he is allowing for it is prejudice when he said nothing of the sort. I would say it could well be due to prejudice as a chief suspect, but I wouldn't say that was the conclusion made because it wasn't. If you want to counter this argument at this point, you got no choice but to start some number crunching of your own.

with that logic, since 360 games were underrated as well... then they must be biased towards the 360

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] If they are scoring PS3 games lower due to stress, that too is a bias. Again, bias itself isn't a particular cause, don't confuse it with something prejudice (which is a particular form of bias). It is a description of a pattern of behavior that could have a wide variety of causes. DerekLoffin

A bias, when used in the context that HE USED it, means a prejudice.

The other context it could be used would be for me to say that "the week that the games got reviewed on introduces a bias to his data set."

It implies nothing relating to EDGE or their integrity as a publication. So either he has proven absolutely NOTHING about EDGE(which is what I am saying to begin with), or he is ignoring statistically significant variables which thereby invalidates any conclusions that he came to with his data set.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-63f6895020e66

The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.Hahadouken

If we want talk about validity, the very fact that we are talking about subjective scores make all kind of comparisons invalid, because of the beautiful "I have a different tastes".

Secondly, the sites that review 360 and PS3 exclusives are not the same.

PS3: The Official Magazine and PSFocusdid not review Halo ODST, did they?

So no, the control subject is not the same. The metascore for 360 exclusives is not calculated with the exact same sources as PS3 exclusives, making all comparisons flawed.

Cevesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Cevesun

[QUOTE="Cevesun"]

Chemical_Viking

You can't say that. "Very rarely true," unless you can prove it which no one can. Yes there will always be percieved bias and whether it's true or not, however we need results written down in a timely fashion in order to progress as human beings. If all we did was argue about who was right and wrong, nothing would get done. Humanity isn't perfect, and so we can't be perfect in anything we do. The best we can do is provide statistical data. Then we go from there.

EDGE idenitifes as unique in the aspect that it rates games on the 1-10 scale. In that, it can hide any bias it wishes to display without it being obvious. With as much proof as we can use, the data shows what system they lean towards on average.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 KingsMessenger

The denial by 360 fans is pathetic, we had a poster do some charts on this, he didn't use "flawed stats" he picked the highest rated exclusive on both systems, your the ones with flawed logic and blind folds on. Open your eyes.

Eddie-Vedder

correlation not causation. That is all I have to say. Prove causation and THEN you can claim that EDGE is biased against the PS3.

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

N4g? sorry no won't be giving it hits, wish I could read the article though *as long as its not an n4g article*

WilliamRLBaker
N4G doesnt make the articles, it only gives links to them.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="IronBass"]As much as I deslike Edge, comparing their scores to Metacritic is flawed. Metacritic does not add all scores and then devides that number by the number of sources. They have their own system. So it's really an average in the strict sense of the word. And, as someone else said, with so few examples, it could simply be coincidence.Hahadouken

There are numerous other distracting variables that were not accounted for when creating the data set, so by default no valid conclusions can be assumed based on this data.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]The control subject was the same for both platforms, and the PS3 was criminally underrated by EDGE. What's to debate? Whether or net MC is flawed, the same control variable was used for both comparisons. It is valid.IronBass
If we want talk about validity, the very fact that we are talking about subjective scores make all kind of comparisons invalid, because of the beautiful "I have a different tastes". Secondly, the sites that revidew 360 and PS3 exclusives are not the same. PS3: The Official Magazine did not review Halo ODST, did it? So no, the control subject is not the same. The metascore for 360 exclusives is not calculated with the exact same sources as PS3 exclusives, making all comparisons flawed.

Dude lol? NOTHING is perfect there are always flaws, but that doesn't mean you completly disreagard what's presented. Soooo much denial.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

ogvampire

with that logic, since 360 games were underrated as well... then they must be biased towards the 360

Technically they are, but they are showing a much more extreme bias against PS3. Bias isn't something you can generally escape, we all have it in built in us to certain extents. In this particular case, Edge is showing a strong bias against PS3, and if we were to use their multiplatform as an benchmark, a bias towards 360, although all 3 types are biased low.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

The denial by 360 fans is pathetic, we had a poster do some charts on this, he didn't use "flawed stats" he picked the highest rated exclusive on both systems, your the ones with flawed logic and blind folds on. Open your eyes.

KingsMessenger

correlation not causation. That is all I have to say. Prove causation and THEN you can claim that EDGE is biased against the PS3.

I don't have to prove jack, the charts do more then enough to give us fair reason to claim bias, the consistency is criminal.
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

According to scientific logic (by the blogger using a controlled experiment by having the same games rated on metacritic and EDGE), the data is pretty valid.
Cevesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Cevesun

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

KingsMessenger

The way you're going about this is wrong. You care more about your image then actually proving whether or not the data is accurate. Even if God himself stated there was no bias, you'd fight it to your grave. Prove me wrong.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ogvampire

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Eddie-Vedder

I don't have to prove jack, the charts do more then enough to give us fair reason to claim bias, the consistency is criminal.

the only thing it proved was that on average, EDGE scores games lower than most other sites... something we already knew

answer me this then: IF EDGE was biased towards the ps3, then how did they score several ps3 exclusives higher than the metacritic score?

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 tok1879

KingsMessenger

Wow you completely missed the point of my CO2 comment... Amazing. I thought it was obvious, but you proved me wrong.

What I was TRYING to show was that just because you can correlate two data trends does not make them inherently linked. Just because EDGE tends to give PS3 games lower scores do NOT mean that there is any sort of bias there. Could be some other factor that is not at all related to bias. Hence my example of the day they receive the review copy from Sony. That is just one possible explanation.

Also, I wasn't challenging his data set. His data set is perfectly valid. What I am challenging is the assumptions made from said data sit. There is not one single valid assumption that anyone can make from his data outside of the fact that there is a CORRELATION between games being on the PS3 and them receiving lower scores from EDGE than the overall Metacritic score. But that in itself is a useless and insignificant little fact.

And all of a sudden, you're starting to make sense. But you still failed with your CO2 example as it seemed to me like you were presenting a straw argument. And your excuse for the day they receive review copies doesn't make much sense either. That said, i could help you out with a possible explanation. Perhaps they don't enjoy the ps3 controller as much as they do that of the 360 resulting in a less enjoyable experience. Or maybe the XMB interface is too cluttered for them. I agree though that i wouldn't have come to that conclusion that directly. But the data is there, and it shows that they score ps3 games much less than they do for 360 games on average. And unless you can come up with how the data is flawed, how else can one prove the bias without having them confess to it?
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] No, it states what exactly it shows, a bias. A bias is a bias. It is you assuming that the only cause he is allowing for it is prejudice when he said nothing of the sort. I would say it could well be due to prejudice as a chief suspect, but I wouldn't say that was the conclusion made because it wasn't. If you want to counter this argument at this point, you got no choice but to start some number crunching of your own. DerekLoffin

Technically they are, but they are showing a much more extreme bias against PS3. Bias isn't something you can generally escape, we all have it in built in us to certain extents. In this particular case, Edge is showing a strong bias against PS3, and if we were to use their multiplatform as an benchmark, a bias towards 360, although all 3 types are biased low.

Have you ever actually bothered to READ EDGE? Or are you basing everything you say on scores that EDGE really doesn't care about(they tried to stop giving games scores altogether).

EDGE is not biased. Anyone who isn't a fanboy that has actually bothered to read the magazine can tell you this. But whatever... I give up. You guys can keep on with your conspiracy theories and put on your tinfoil hats, but I can't even begin to express how poorly founded most of your assumptions are.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

KingsMessenger

The other context it could be used would be for me to say that "the week that the games got reviewed on introduces a bias to his data set."

It implies nothing relating to EDGE or their integrity as a publication. So either he has proven absolutely NOTHING about EDGE(which is what I am saying to begin with), or he is ignoring statistically significant variables which thereby invalidates any conclusions that he came to with his data set.

You can keep claiming this, but it won't make it true, because that wasn't what he stated. Besides, it doesn't matter the cause. The bias is self evident to anyone reading here. You can try and deny it all you want but until you come up with some actual facts to deny with, you're not convincing anyone (probably not even yourself).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Dude lol? NOTHING is perfect there are always flaws, but that doesn't mean you completly disreagard what's presented. Soooo much denial.Eddie-Vedder
I've already presented my reasoning of why I disregard his "study". You have not given any reason why I should not. So yes, I'm gonna completely disregard it. :)
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 KingsMessenger

And all of a sudden, you're starting to make sense. But you still failed with your CO2 example as it seemed to me like you were presenting a straw argument. And your excuse for the day they receive review copies doesn't make much sense either. That said, i could help you out with a possible explanation. Perhaps they don't enjoy the ps3 controller as much as they do that of the 360 resulting in a less enjoyable experience. Or maybe the XMB interface is too cluttered for them. I agree though that i wouldn't have come to that conclusion that directly. But the data is there, and it shows that they score ps3 games much less than they do for 360 games on average. And unless you can come up with how the data is flawed, how else can one prove the bias without having them confess to it?tok1879

You can't prove a bias. Not just because it doesn't exists. But also because there is no way to isolate it within any data set.

Feel free to continue with your conspiracy theories, but I suggest you actually try to read their magazine and then come back and tell me it is biased.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="IronBass"]As much as I deslike Edge, comparing their scores to Metacritic is flawed. Metacritic does not add all scores and then devides that number by the number of sources. They have their own system. So it's really an average in the strict sense of the word. And, as someone else said, with so few examples, it could simply be coincidence.ogvampire

the 360 was underrated too... guess theyre biased towards the 360 as well then

Was it underrated to the same degree as the PS3? No, and that's the point. It's not whether they score lower in general (this is known), but whether they favor a particular platform. We have no way of seeing into their minds, but based on the evidence we have, yes, they are harsher on PS3 games than 360 games.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

The data in the article is correct, yes, but data is still just data. Honestly, I think it's just a coincidence. Edge have praised Ps3 plenty, not just in the review section either.angelkimne

obviously

ps3 launch

ps3

ps3

ps3

mgs4

uncharted 2

heavy rain

infamous

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

KingsMessenger

Have you ever actually bothered to READ EDGE? Or are you basing everything you say on scores that EDGE really doesn't care about(they tried to stop giving games scores altogether).

EDGE is not biased. Anyone who isn't a fanboy that has actually bothered to read the magazine can tell you this. But whatever... I give up. You guys can keep on with your conspiracy theories and put on your tinfoil hats, but I can't even begin to express how poorly founded most of your assumptions are.

Assumptions? Dude. GRAPHS. STATS. Stats don't lie. We can't prove what they think, but we can prove what they have done. What "assumptions" are people making that aren't based on this graph and article?
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ogvampire

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] No, it states what exactly it shows, a bias. A bias is a bias. It is you assuming that the only cause he is allowing for it is prejudice when he said nothing of the sort. I would say it could well be due to prejudice as a chief suspect, but I wouldn't say that was the conclusion made because it wasn't. If you want to counter this argument at this point, you got no choice but to start some number crunching of your own. DerekLoffin

You can keep claiming this, but it won't make it true, because that wasn't what he stated. Besides, it doesn't matter the cause. The bias is self evident to anyone reading here. You can try and deny it all you want but until you come up with some actual facts to deny with, you're not convincing anyone (probably not even yourself).

i love how logic and 'facts' are such fickle things in sw

once again, IF edge was biased towards the ps3, then how did they score several ps3 games higher than the metacritic average?

i would love to know why this 'fact' is ignored

tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tok1879

WilliamRLBaker
N4g don't do articles. They have links to other articles. And yes, the site is swarming with ps3 fanboys. But here is the link to the site they linked to if you want to read it.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="angelkimne"]The data in the article is correct, yes, but data is still just data. Honestly, I think it's just a coincidence. Edge have praised Ps3 plenty, not just in the review section either.88mphSlayer

obviously

ps3 launch

ps3

ps3

ps3

2006, 2006, 2006, 2007.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

KingsMessenger

This doesn't deal with their writing. This deals purely with the review scores. They are showing a clear pattern of bias (and over a VERY LONG PERIOD OF TIME). The only way to argue with this is to show some stats that contradict it. And please, stop with the 'isn't a fanboy' BS. I could easily flip that statement and it would have exactly the same weight, none. Show some evidence to back up your position for pity sakes.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Technically they are, but they are showing a much more extreme bias against PS3. Bias isn't something you can generally escape, we all have it in built in us to certain extents. In this particular case, Edge is showing a strong bias against PS3, and if we were to use their multiplatform as an benchmark, a bias towards 360, although all 3 types are biased low. Hahadouken

Assumptions? Dude. GRAPHS. STATS. Stats don't lie. We can't prove what they think, but we can prove what they have done. What "assumptions" are people making that aren't based on this graph and article?

\

CONCLUSIONS MADE BASED ON STATISTICS ARE NOT VALID UNLESS YOU CAN ISOLATE THE VARIABLES AND PROVE A DIRECT CAUSATION. THESE STATISTICS DO NOT DO THAT.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
People take this crap way too seriously around here.