Valve: MS needs to be 'comfortable' in opening up Xbox Live

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nintendonly
Member since 2009 • 1409 Posts
Valve had Gabe Newell has said that the company still wants to bring Steamworks to Xbox Live, but admitted that Microsoft needs to relax the rules on what publishers can and can't do with the service.  Newell told Eurogamer at gamescom that bringing Steamworks to 360 users was something "we'd really like to be able to do," citing the success it had in implementing the tools into the more open PSN with the release of Portal 2, which included cross-platform PC/Mac and PS3 play, cloud support and Steam achievements that were unlocked via the PC version or by getting trophies in the PS3 version. "We certainly can deliver a lot of value to customers to the degree to which we have those capabilities. With the PS3 obviously we made a lot more progress with that," he said when asked if he'd like to see Steamworks implemented for the PSN and XBL versions of Counter Strike: Global Offensive. "The PS3 customers of Portal 2 are going to start to see the benefits of that with Portal 2 DLC coming out in September. So we'd really like to be able to do that for Xbox customers as well." He added: "The main thing is having Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it. Right now, there's a huge amount of updates and free content we've been able to deliver to people who have The Orange Box that we haven't been able to deliver to the Xbox because of the restrictions that have been placed on us on Xbox Live. "We'd love to see those relaxed. Other developers on the PS3 are starting to benefit from Sony's more open approach. Hopefully that will help Microsoft see that's a good strategy for making customers happy, that the barbarians won't tear down the walls of Xbox and turn it into some chaotic wasteland." Counter Strike: Global Offensive launches next year for PS3, 360 and PC. http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/25/valve-ms-needs-to-be-comfortable-in-opening-up-xbox-live/
alfy57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 alfy57
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts
OPEN UP XBL, OPEN UP XBL, OPEN UP XBL!!!!!! but yah Gabe is right though, it seems that MS is just so stingy and of course the over priced service they offer, that really doesn't explain why they charge in the first place, since pc has of the fuctions free, makes you wonder why MS will not open. on well.
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

Yeah but look what happened to PSN when it "opened up".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Steameffekt
PSN always has been open to developers? I doubt this has anything to do with the hacking of PSN if thats what you're referring to.
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

Crossel777
I doubt this has anything to do with the hacking of PSN if thats what you're referring to.

Yes I am referring to that.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

I'm so sick of Valve. Steam is a terrible service. Though I have no idea what the effect would be XboxLive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts
[QUOTE="Crossel777"][QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

AncientDozer
PSN always has been open to developers? I doubt this has anything to do with the hacking of PSN if thats what you're referring to.

Just what kind of "open" are we talking about? Maybe the stringent 'rules' and limitations in place are what keep people safe? We don't know unless either side goes into specifics.

Well being more "open" to developers doesn't mean the security is full of holes. Thats a different kind of open.
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

I'm so sick of Valve. Steam is a terrible service. Though I have no idea what the effect would be XboxLive.

Jelley0

i thought people loved steam? is it really that bad i tryed it once and my account got bugged so i couldnt play any games

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

coltgames

i thought people loved steam? is it really that bad i tryed it once and my account got bugged so i couldnt play any games

Sounds like user error, I know no one who has ever had that problem. Steam is a great service.
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

[QUOTE="coltgames"]

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

DragonfireXZ95

Sounds like user error, I know no one who has ever had that problem. Steam is a great service.

ill try it again seemed like a pretty cool service , i really liked torchlight from what i played , not really into dd so ill prob just buy arcade stuff from it not retail or ill just buy pc exclusives from it i really want to play witcher 2 just havent gotten around to it

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Steam is a store as far as I'm concerned. As a "service," I don't really see anything all that impressive about it.

Live and PSN are both too closed, but that isn't likely going to change anytime soon. At least Sony has the foresight ot allow some freedom to developers.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Steameffekt
PSN has always been open and the attack has nothing to do with how PS works.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos

AncientDozer

Just what kind of "open" are we talking about? Maybe the stringent 'rules' and limitations in place are what keep people safe? We don't know unless either side goes into specifics.

No he actually mean that MS controls everything,if they want to give free content MS block it,MS doesn't like free content on xbox live and is only allow as they see fit,they also have a say in all prices on the market as well. Been more open has nothing to do with the PSN hack,and more with been more flexible with what developers want to do,in fact he is talking about all the free content the PS3 version of Portal 2 will get while that same content on 360 most carry a price to see the light of the day. In the end the person who get a win win from this is you,that don't have to pay $15 dollar for a portal DLC while the PS3 version get it for free.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

Jelley0

Valve makes great games, steam isnt terrible service because i am sure a crap ton of pc gamers would disagree and read the first post it will give you an idea of how it would effect live

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Steameffekt

I doubt this has anything to do with the hacking of PSN if thats what you're referring to.

Yes I am referring to that.

Are you actually saying that you think that PSN being down was because of them being more open?

I hope that Microsoft allows Valve to do what they want, but I doubt that they will.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95

Steam is a store as far as I'm concerned. As a "service," I don't really see anything all that impressive about it.

Live and PSN are both too closed, but that isn't likely going to change anytime soon. At least Sony has the foresight ot allow some freedom to developers.

Pug-Nasty

You must not play any multiplayer games or have any friends on Steam, because in terms of friends/multiplayer, it's a hell of a lot better than Xbox Live or PSN.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jelley0

[QUOTE="coltgames"]

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

DragonfireXZ95

Steam is a great service if you like being forced to use it to play a PC game and enjoy the fact that you don't own any of the games you buy and like how Valve can remove games you payed for from your account if you break a rule or something. OH BUT ATLEAST IT HAS TEH SALES!!!!121! Steam is like drugs, it makes you feel like you're in control. But yeah I guess it's a great service if you were a fan of the Soviet Union or something similar.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
so F*** MS! just make this exclusive to PC&PS3 if they dont want to cooperate
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="coltgames"] i thought people loved steam? is it really that bad i tryed it once and my account got bugged so i couldnt play any games

Jelley0

Steam is a great service if you like being forced to use it to play a PC game and enjoy the fact that you don't own any of the games you buy and like how Valve can remove games you payed for from your account if you break a rule or something. OH BUT ATLEAST IT HAS TEH SALES!!!!121! Steam is like drugs, it makes you feel like you're in control. But yeah I guess it's a great service if you were a fan of the Soviet Union or something similar.

Right... Kind of like games you download from Xbox Live or PSN, right? :roll: You don't own the games, they are just on your account.
SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

If it plays anything like CS/CSS PS3 users are going to get destroyed by PC users (unless the PS3 version supports KB/M). I agree MS should allow steamworks on xbla as this would prevent the online community from dying out (as easily). They seem to be taking some pointers from Apple when it comes to the Xbox.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
wait so xbox live doesnt get that portal 2 dlc for free?!?! what a rip off yoiu pay for live and on top of that, dlc thats suppose to be free costs money? man im glad i got it for ps3 but if i would have got it on my xbox i would be extremely ticked about this
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Translations is:We need to see all profit going to us from any thing we release on XBLA as well all costs need to be passed onto microsoft not us or the consumer...

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

Translations is:We need to see all profit going to us from any thing we release on XBLA as well all costs need to be passed onto microsoft not us or the consumer...

WilliamRLBaker

This is pretty much it. MS has had control of XBL from day 1, and they have built an awesome online experience from it. Why would they all of the sudden open it up to developer control because Gabe Newell says so?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
Profit from what? All of Valve's DLC and updates are all free on PC. They want that on consoles as well...
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

Yeah, that greedy Gabe, releasing free DLC and cheating MS out of their money.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jelley0

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Sounds like user error, I know no one who has ever had that problem. Steam is a great service.DragonfireXZ95

Right... Kind of like games you download from Xbox Live or PSN, right? :roll: You don't own the games, they are just on your account.

Did you even read all of what I said? And no, that isn't the same thing because Microsoft and Sony don't take away the games you bought :roll:

Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nintendonly

WilliamRLBaker
Just a thought: what if this results in no Xbox 360 version of Counterstrike: GO?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#29 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Yeah, I don't want Steam on my Xbox, screw that.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

Sounds so erotic.

Like Microsoft needs to experiment.MiCurious?

PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PtothaWHAT
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

Steameffekt

You do realise the kind of "opened up" he's talking about had nothing to do with the PSN hack.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos

WilliamRLBaker
They were talking about Free content so how much Valve wins for something that is given free.?
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos
This is pretty much it. MS has had control of XBL from day 1, and they have built an awesome online experience from it. Why would they all of the sudden open it up to developer control because Gabe Newell says so?tempest91
Actually EA say so and MS allowed why else do you think EA kill their games when they want and they run their own servers.? Developers can push MS EA already did it,is simple it only took several versions of EA games been online on PS2 alone and not xbox to make MS reconsider and take EA seriously.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

the only opening i want to see is cross platform play between consoles. i don want anything to do with pc. cross platform play with pc is a very bad idea pc gamers are proz at multiplayer games and with mouse and keyboard they will literaly rape console gamers. but cross platform play with ps3 and 360 will be great and could actualy be alot of fun. but there is no chance m$ will allow cross platform play with ps3 since it charges for its service.:?

CAlNlAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CAlNlAC
Member since 2006 • 689 Posts
wait so xbox live doesnt get that portal 2 dlc for free?!?! what a rip off yoiu pay for live and on top of that, dlc thats suppose to be free costs money? man im glad i got it for ps3 but if i would have got it on my xbox i would be extremely ticked about thisTH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Unless something has changed both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Portal 2 will be getting the DLC for free. I remember reading an article about it a while ago.
Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nintendonly
[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]wait so xbox live doesnt get that portal 2 dlc for free?!?! what a rip off yoiu pay for live and on top of that, dlc thats suppose to be free costs money? man im glad i got it for ps3 but if i would have got it on my xbox i would be extremely ticked about thisCAlNlAC
Unless something has changed both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Portal 2 will be getting the DLC for free. I remember reading an article about it a while ago.

The first DLC is, because Microsoft allows for the first DLC to be free, but after that, Microsoft's going to be charging.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

"Other developers on the PS3 are starting to benefit from Sony's more open approach. Hopefully that will help Microsoft see that's a good strategy for making customers happy..."

lol That's a funny part because of what's been happening lately. We all know, MS is all about making the customers happy as they have numerously stated. But talk is, well talk. :)

CAlNlAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CAlNlAC
[QUOTE="CAlNlAC"][QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]wait so xbox live doesnt get that portal 2 dlc for free?!?! what a rip off yoiu pay for live and on top of that, dlc thats suppose to be free costs money? man im glad i got it for ps3 but if i would have got it on my xbox i would be extremely ticked about thisNintendonly

The first DLC is, because Microsoft allows for the first DLC to be free, but after that, Microsoft's going to be charging.

Yeah most likely thats is what will happen. Anyway it won't bother me though as I got the PS3 version.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#39 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
this is a horrible translation, they want to give us patching and free dlc, along with cross platform play. What profits are you talking about?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WilliamRLBaker

One simply has to look at it logically.

Xbox live has been closed since the begining.
Psn has been open since the begining.

Newell treated XBL as a god send up till 2 or so years ago then he did a 180 and started ******* Sony's **** There has to be a reason outside of xbox live being a closed network, and with their recent attitude towards EA...

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tormentos
[QUOTE="Diviniuz"] this is a horrible translation, they want to give us patching and free dlc, along with cross platform play. What profits are you talking about?

You have to wonder how he got to that conclusion by what it is say on that article,i mean i just can't see how any one would get what he got out of it. This person is actually cheering for MS to stop forcing developer to charge for content when they want to give it for free as well as other things like cross platform play which will only make online gaming better by allowing multiple consoles to play the same game online with each other,and making the community of that game bigger,how is that bad is beyond my comprehension.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#42 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

there has to be a reason outside of xbox live being a closed network.

WilliamRLBaker
One plays lets say X amount of dollars for internet in their house PC player, Ps3 player, and 360 player are all playing counter strike together online. the 360 player has to pay X dollars and the LIVE fees to play online when ps3 and pc don't have to make any additional payments. That is the only reason I see MS blocking this--If people are playing the same game together why does one person have to pay more for the same thing, it would make MS look bad
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WilliamRLBaker

Isn't it odd that steamworks is somehow now a requirement to receive updates and dlc for valve games? One would think that the robust xbox live would be sufficient at offering that free dlc and those updates without a problem..Why is steamworks all of a sudden a requirement? could it be a giant hypocracy where Valve wants to control all updates, servers and dlc they are under instead of any moneygoing to Microsoft for testing, bandwidth, or server space?

Seems like its the same thing it always was.

Valve: hey we got this game we have this dlc too we are requiring you Microsoft to pay for its testing, bandwidth, and server space or we wont release it on xbox 360.
Microsoft: sorry we've had the same stance forever if you want it free you pay for the testing, bandwidth and server space and we'd be happy to offer that dlc for free to the consumers but if you wont pay then we will pass that cost onto the consumer.
Valve: then I guess we wont be releasing that dlc on xbox 360.

Its logically simple really and is actually a fact that Microsoft has had that stance since the begining when it came to dlc the developer or publisher paid for the dlc for it to free to the users otherwise Microsoft passed the cost onto the consumer.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tormentos

One simply has to look at it logically.

Xbox live has been closed since the begining.
Psn has been open since the begining.

Newell treated XBL as a god send up till 2 or so years ago then he did a 180 and started ******* Sony's **** There has to be a reason outside of xbox live being a closed network, and with their recent attitude towards EA...

WilliamRLBaker
Not everything sony or MS does is good or great for the industry i start with that. MS force developer to charge for content,when they want to give it free is not secret they also have a say on price which we learn from super meat ball developer,but that was rumored ages ago. Not every one is fine with what MS does with xbox live,even since last gen and the first to stand against it was EA,the only difference is that EA was huge incredibly huge,and did no lower its head to what MS has to say about live,they did a simple strategy you don't allow us to run our own servers,we don't make games online on xbox live,and they did EA did not play they deliver Madden online and well as several other EA games online on PS2 but not on xbox. And by the next year EA games were back online on xbox and EA ran their games on their severs,now the move EA did is not in favor of us back them it was on its favor because it allows them to kill games when they want so you move to the next version. Were ever is for the wrong or right reason you can stand to MS,EA already did but that imply actually sabotaging one of your own games on the process,EA did not care back then online wasn't as big as it is now,and the PS2 version would out sold the xbox version silly either way. What MS is doing is not good for use William no matter how you slice it,is bad when a developer want to reward you with a free download for your supporting them with your money,MS should not stand in the way.
CAlNlAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CAlNlAC
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Diviniuz
One plays lets say X amount of dollars for internet in their house PC player, Ps3 player, and 360 player are all playing counter strike together online. the 360 player has to pay X dollars and the LIVE fees to play online when ps3 and pc don't have to make any additional payments. That is the only reason I see MS blocking this--If people are playing the same game together why does one person have to pay more for the same thing, it would make MS look bad

From what I understand MS doesn't have a problem with cross platform play between Xbox 360 and PC as there are a few examples of games out there that use the feature. Its just cross platform play between Xbox 360 and PS3 that MS doesn't seem to want. It might be because of the additional fee thing but more likely its for other reasons we will never know about.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="tempest91"]This is pretty much it. MS has had control of XBL from day 1, and they have built an awesome online experience from it. Why would they all of the sudden open it up to developer control because Gabe Newell says so?tormentos
Actually EA say so and MS allowed why else do you think EA kill their games when they want and they run their own servers.? Developers can push MS EA already did it,is simple it only took several versions of EA games been online on PS2 alone and not xbox to make MS reconsider and take EA seriously.

I really don't know what you are saying about EA, but starting this gen, MS has had a firm control on XBL and it has worked well for them. To give up control is really not going to happen at this point. Especially to Valve, who Microsoft has been in Direct competition with when it comes to game services (GFWL). Yes they failed with it, and that is all the more reason to reject this sentiment of judgement from valve. MS is fine without them.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

Isn't it odd that steamworks is somehow now a requirement to receive updates and dlc for valve games? One would think that the robust xbox live would be sufficient at offering that free dlc and those updates without a problem..Why is steamworks all of a sudden a requirement? could it be a giant hypocracy where Valve wants to control all updates, servers and dlc they are under instead of any moneygoing to Microsoft for testing, bandwidth, or server space?

Valve: hey we got this game we have this dlc too we are requiring you Microsoft to pay for its testing, bandwidth, and server space or we wont release it on xbox 360.
Microsoft: sorry we've had the same stance forever if you want it free you pay for the testing, bandwidth and server space and we'd be happy to offer that dlc for free to the consumers but if you wont pay then we will pass that cost onto the consumer.

Its logically simple really and is actually a fact that Microsoft has had that stance since the begining when it came to dlc the developer or publisher paid for the dlc for it to free to the users otherwise Microsoft passed the cost onto the consumer.

WilliamRLBaker
And you really believe that.? And what are those $60 a year for aren't those for servers and faster downloads already.? Wait did MS pass you they bill for online play already.? Come on dude MS charge your $60 a year for online play,that is the maximum level of passing the cost of everything to you,so wait they charge you for live with the excuse that is for severs and they charger developers are well for the same if developers want to give anything free.? And some how this is good for us or the industry.? Wow just wow..
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
I really don't know what you are saying about EA, but starting this gen, MS has had a firm control on XBL and it has worked well for them. To give up control is really not going to happen at this point. Especially to Valve, who Microsoft has been in Direct competition with when it comes to game services (GFWL). Yes they failed with it, and that is all the more reason to reject this sentiment of judgement from valve. MS is fine without them.tempest91
Simple EA boycott xbox live,and make online games only on PS2,what many tough would be a fierce battle actually ended quickly with EA winning and MS allowing EA games to run on their severs. Electronic Arts votes for Sony, tells Microsoft to push off Microsoft demanded too much control BIG GAMES firm Electronic Arts will put one of its top games online on Tuesday but only for the Playstation 2 and not for the Xbox. That, according to a report in today's Wall Street Journal is a deliberate snub to Microsoft which has tried to persuade EA to push its games for the Xbox Live. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1008467/electronic-arts-votes-for-sony-tells-microsoft-to-push-off#ixzz1W5Orr0nn Not to mention EA wanted a piece of the money MS was bagging from the subscription.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Diviniuz

you pay for bandwidth, you don't pay to use the Internet

because of MS system, you pay to get access all of that, on the internet

Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nintendonly
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

tormentos
And you really believe that.? And what are those $60 a year for aren't those for servers and faster downloads already.? Wait did MS pass you they bill for online play already.? Come on dude MS charge your $60 a year for online play,that is the maximum level of passing the cost of everything to you,so wait they charge you for live with the excuse that is for severs and they charger developers are well for the same if developers want to give anything free.? And some how this is good for us or the industry.? Wow just wow..

He does plenty of Microsoft **** riding to know it's not even worth debating. Just bring up another question and have a laugh.