Valve = best developer of gen 7

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@Pffrbt: good thing the vast , vast majority of the industry, and community, disagree with you.

Why is it a good thing to praise mediocrity.

Nobody's praising mediocrity. Your jelly blinds you. There's nothing i can do about that.

Anybody praising Naughty Dog's games is praising mediocrity, and I have no idea what you think I'm jealous of.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX: tlou 95

uc 88

uc2 96

uc3 92

tlou over 270 gotys

uc2 over 200 gotys

And i noticed you are too scared to show your face here

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/generation-7-report-card-results-31114676/#72

keep on beggin for them console games :)

and keep praying for a pc goty exclusive.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

@uninspiredcup: DOTA 2... never heard of it, ahh multiplayer RTS.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

@edwardecl said:

@uninspiredcup: DOTA 2... never heard of it, ahh multiplayer RTS.

Yea, it's one of them "moba" games. The most played multiplayer games on the planet, you may have heard of them. They are kind of a big deal.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: tlou 95

uc 88

uc2 96

uc3 92

tlou over 270 gotys

uc2 over 200 gotys

And i noticed you are too scared to show your face here

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/generation-7-report-card-results-31114676/#72

keep on beggin for them console games :)

and keep praying for a pc goty exclusive.

hiding behind MC as usual

UC 8

TLOU 8

UC2 9.5

UC3 9

TLOU no GOTY,Zelda won LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@millerlight89

So you say popularity is not quality? thats a bold claim to make in the multiplayer genre.

A bold claim? No, it's just not a dumb one, like the one you made. CoD being on several platforms has nothing to do with the point at hand. You are using player base to determine quality, when it doesn't. Super easy to understand. What does The Last of Us have to do with anything. See this is why trying to have a conversation with you or jankadork is pointless. You get challenged on your original point, see you have made a boo-boo, then dance around it with a reply that has nothing to do with, well anything. There is nowhere else for this to go. We will just go in circles. So, reply if you like, but I wont see it.

no, your statement was stupid. "oh its popular that means its not quality" ... DoTA 2 got a 9... its been out 3 friggin years and is growing in popularity. as does League of Legends. they are not shallow games, they did not transform into the lowest common denominator like CoD did... and they are not rehashed yearly.

You are a fool with no valid point. fact of the matter is, console games don't have staying power. the casuals are thickle.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#107  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: fraid not.

Tlou, uc 2-3 AAA

Uc AA

Oh, so sad. How many more years you gonna avoid answering the question? You make herms more pathetic than they already are.

TLOU and Uncharted scored 8

TLOU lost to Zelda GOTY,how sad :(

Not on metacritic... You're still ignoring the fact TLoU beat Skyrim being the most awarded game ever

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Tlou, uc 2-3 AAA

Uc AA

Oh, so sad. How many more years you gonna avoid answering the question? You make herms more pathetic than they already are.

Not on metacritic... You're still ignoring the fact TLoU beat Skyrim being the most awarded game ever

AFAIK,we're not on metacritic's forums

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@priapus10101 said:

@jhcho2 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Best is subjective, but I will certainly say they are one of the most consistent devs in terms of quality

This

And that alone is highly debatable. Valve appears to be consistent with quality because they aren't challenging themselves to live up to their Half Life legacy. They instead make games that can be well received, but not judged too harshly. Are you seriously gonna say that you'd judge Left for Dead or Portal with the same standards as Grand Theft Auto, Halo or The Last of Us? Valve themselves are afraid that they cannot match the expectations on Half Life 3, and therefore avoided it. This is the very reason why I will never consider Valve to be the best developer. Unlike Valve, Naughty Dog and Rockstar are not afraid of their own legacy.

Valve is like a once acclaimed movie director who moved on to making short films.

On the contrary, Valve are confident they could be successful with Half Life sequels alone however they have shifted their focus to multiplayer games where the market is strongest. See source: IGN Article - Valve's Gabe Newell.

Why make Half Life 3 when they can earn ten fold more from Dota 2 (most played game on Steam).

That exactly proves my point. Do you really think Valve is gonna come out and say "Sorry, no Half Life 3 for you guys because we're too afraid it's gonna become the new Duke Nukem Forever."?

Of course they'll give some wishy washy excuse about diversification blah blah blah. And sure, they are making money from Dota 2, but that doesn't disprove the fact that they are afraid of their own legacy. In that respect, at least Blizzard didn't chicken out from their Starcraft legacy and instead just sit on the WoW cash cow.

And to your seemingly rhetorical question - "Why make Half Life 3?". Simple. They are game developers, no different from creators of other forms of art. If Christopher Nolan chickened out after directing Memento (his Magnum Opus), in fear of not being able to direct a better movie, we wouldn't get Inception or the Batman movies. Half Life 2 is Valve's magnum opus. If they keep things the way they are, Valve will eventually lack the ability to make any Half Life game. Ever.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 The_Last_Ride

@MonsieurX said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Tlou, uc 2-3 AAA

Uc AA

AFAIK,we're not on metacritic's forums

True, but you're also ignoring the fact that it has gotten a lot of recognition. Besides Tom McShea and Carolyn Petit are some of the worst reviewers out there

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Naughty Dog was the best for Gen7!

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@jhcho2: My guess is they're waiting until they finish their new source engine. You're statement is kind of funny though considering what you are using as evidence.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@SEANMCAD: Why would their development team focus on those things?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 The_Last_Ride

At the end of the day, it's all down to taste though

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Debatable.

BygByron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 BygByron3
Member since 2003 • 5572 Posts

Valve is the best developer of all generations, even those before their establishment. Hail Gaben!

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

I follow a lot of Gabe Newells interviews and such and I wil say that Valve is an Innovation company. As he has stated before they are not trilled about doing something they have already done. They like to move forward with new ideas.

They have also made it explicitly clear they are not making HF3 because they simply 'been there done that'

So they made Half Life Episode 1 and 2, left the story hanging, while Episode 3 was supposed to be in development last gen, and Valve eventually came out and said that they felt Half Life Episode 3 would be better being incorporated into Half Life 3.....and after all that.....said something along the lines of "been there done that". And you believed them?

Go ahead and believe that if you want. Cumulative press statements over the last 8 years prove otherwise.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Good developer. Nowhere near the peak.

Even leaving aside the usual suspects for "BEST DEV EVAR!" I'd happily rank someone like Ubisoft above them. Think the Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Rayman, Tom Clancy, Rocksmith and Anno series' have given me more pleasure this past gen.