Unlocked the blades, after 21 days. God of War is still boring.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ellos:

"How Kratos even entertained the idea is not as effective as the ironic story telling game it copied."

I'd argue that GoW4's storytelling may have been partly inspired by Last of Us but not *copied*.

Yeah Copy is perhaps too strong. The inspirations are strong.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#202 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Lotus-Edge: Some people have jobs and responsibilities and things that take precedent over playing video games. It took me almost two months to finish GOW because I don't have time to sit down and play games for hours and hours and hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pc_rocks:

You and Ezeki are the only ones who have a hard time believing Kratos' shift in personality.

And TheGameBritShow author and 7100 people who liked his God of War review, the one that pc_rocks posted. There are probably PLENTY of people who think his shift is unbelievable.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pc_rocks:

You and Ezeki are the only ones who have a hard time believing Kratos' shift in personality. While the game explains that already. With insinuation and great detail. If you missed it all then you should've paid attention because the reasoning was right in front of you.

We are the ones criticizing it because A) We don't awe any allegiance to Sony or Playstation like you, B) We did play the original trilogy and weren't the TLOU/UC targeted new comers C) We have taste and understands how story telling works, D) New GoW didn't explain shit how Kratos changed but the reason is apparent to draw in the TLOU/UC crowd.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#205 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I unlocked the blades on second day. 100%th the game in three days.

Really short game, this. And NG+ adds no real content tbh...

The main story is solid, and I actually liked the blades in fight, as they add much needed range.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Nice work spoiling it for people right in the title!

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#207 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@pc_rocks:

"C)We have taste and understands how story telling works, "

- Then why were your responses so half-assed? Like: "Kratos was always a dick." And: "He still killed people."

Kratos was a soldier before he became the Ghost of Sparta. Soldiers kill their enemies. Everything Kratos did in the trilogy was for a reason. The Ghost of Sparta is the only Kratos we ever knew.

"D) New GoW didn't explain shit how Kratos changed but the reason is apparent to draw in the TLOU/UC crowd."

- Just play the damn game and pay attention because they give you plenty of hints.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 PC_Rocks
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pc_rocks:

"C)We have taste and understands how story telling works, "

- Then why were your responses so half-assed? Like: "Kratos was always a dick." And: "He still killed people."

Kratos was a soldier before he became the Ghost of Sparta. Soldiers kill their enemies. Everything Kratos did in the trilogy was for a reason. The Ghost of Sparta is the only Kratos we ever knew.

"D) New GoW didn't explain shit how Kratos changed but the reason is apparent to draw in the TLOU/UC crowd."

- Just play the damn game and pay attention because they give you plenty of hints.

Actually unlike mine all your responses are half-assed. May be, could be, probably....that's all.

Kratos was always a d*ck, he was a blood thirsty maniac that didn't like when he was defeated and made a pact with Ares. He continue to murder innocent people and all those Ares tasked him to. It was his anger that get him to kill his own family. Yeah, they didn't explain sh*t how that maniac changed in new GoW. Your petty excuse of but they explained because he had a wife and now a child is a cop out. Kratos had a wife and daughter before but was still an a$$hole.

Keep defending and keep going in circles. I'm done here.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#209 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Meanwhile I will be sitting back with my popcorn lol

If he doesn't like the game, he doesn't like it. Not everyone falls apart like you over Forza Horizon 4.

lol

owned

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

Well if u dont like the game blog it. Even MS studio voted GOW as the GOTY. I personally love the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pc_rocks: Kratos was a soldier before he became the Ghost of Sparta. Soldiers kill their enemies. Everything Kratos did in the trilogy was for a reason. The Ghost of Sparta is the only Kratos we ever knew.

You actually said this. I'm stunned. Right now I'm remembering that half-naked woman in God of War III whom Kratos drags crying and screaming for fifteen minutes and then throws into some gears to break a mechanism. I was disgusted. This is the sicko you're defending. For a reason, you say. Because he's a soldier. Don't make me laugh. That man could never become this one.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

The events in GoW3 were AFTER he became the Ghost of Sparta. I was talking about the events before that. And even so, it was so he could get through a door. Not because he wanted to see her die.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@pc_rocks:

"Kratos had a wife and daughter before but was still an a$$hole."

Kratos' 2nd wife wasn't a mere human like his first. She was a powerful warrior, a giant, well versed in the mythology and had superhuman abilities. She helped him learn how to control his anger. You'd have known this if you played the game.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 PC_Rocks

@nepu7supastar7:

I said I'm done, but I wanted to tear down your excuse of 'Not played'. All in all your latest reply was again a 'may be'.

Anyhow, do tell me how I didn't play and don't know why his wife wanted him to throw her ashes from the highest peak which was in giant's realm, not in midgard and along the way Kratos finally learnt it was all a prophesy, his wife being a giant and how Atreus is Loki with all the nonsense yet nothing at all to explain how Kratos become a new man from an a$$hole he was....yeah right to draw in the TLOU/UC newcomers. Keep making stupid excuses.

Cory Barlog with all his rant about a mature story and how good is a story not just a game story, still made a crap story with ridiculous storytelling that was completely disconnected from the original trilogy. He wanted to do one thing and he even failed at that. Such a visionary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

The events in GoW3 were AFTER he became the Ghost of Sparta. I was talking about the events before that. And even so, it was so he could get through a door. Not because he wanted to see her die.

Do you know how stupid that sounds? The whole sequence was designed like that to reinforce the idea that Kratos is ruthless and cruel. You wouldn't see Solid Snake or Max Payne sacrifice a young woman like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#216 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Vatusus said:
@zaryia said:

You are not Nathan Drake IRL, sorry buddy.

I dont want to be. I'm the guy who schooled you hard, and that I already am

Opinioncraft = schooled yourself pal.

No go watch....er play your Sony Movies.

"bla bla bla hur dur bla bla" thats all I read there

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

I didn't say that what Kratos did to that concubine lady was right, I just said that he had a reason for it. Kratos only destroyed what obstructed his path. He was ruthless but he had a goal in mind. He wasn't a mindless killer.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@pc_rocks:

You and Ezeki are exagerrating the whole change in Kratos to boot. He's still grumpy. He can still tear enemies in half. He still gets his rage on. He can still punch through buildings and mountains. The only real difference is that he's slowed down and he's trying to raise Atreus right. So he has to be patient and understanding. He wants to set an example.

As for the rest, well I can't really do much when you refuse to listen and admit that you were wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

I didn't say that what Kratos did to that concubine lady was right, I just said that he had a reason for it. Kratos only destroyed what obstructed his path. He was ruthless but he had a goal in mind. He wasn't a mindless killer.

He was a vicious killer. The way you said it was like saying, "I threw this old lady under a bus, but it's okay because she was in my way." It's stupid. He's an awful person.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

No, the way I was saying it was like: "This door will only stay open if I could put something to keep the gears from turning. So I'm going to use this lady to keep it open."

I'm not saying that it makes Kratos a good person. But the point is that he was focused. That's a huge difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

So, did anyone in here even TRY to argue that the zoomed in shoulder camera is better for hack and slash combat? Or is that just too hard to champion? I do remember a video a few pages back about what makes a good combat system (which I couldn't watch), but I don't believe anyone really talked about it.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By ellos

@ezekiel43 said:

So, did anyone in here even TRY to argue that the zoomed in shoulder camera is better for hack and slash combat? Or is that just too hard to champion? I do remember a video a few pages back about what makes a good combat system (which I couldn't watch), but I don't believe anyone really talked about it.

I'm the one that posted that video from a good channel that just looks at core development designs. The video talks all sorts of different games that follow the designed that made them good. They omitted hack and f***in slash camera as a must. I think we need to separate this idea that only hack and slash can make combat good. Therefore only hack and slash camera is needed. Combat can be about designing a challenge for the player and then giving them tools solid mechanics to tackle those challenges. Preferably in different ways for added depth. And just like that video talks about things like feel and feed back to the player goes a long way. The camera can be first person, a one screen static camera, over the shoulder why should it matter. If the design is there and the mechanics are solid I personally don't care. I get it different camera systems are not for everyone. Some people are hurt by CDPR going First Person. The creator of RE once said games can never work with over the shoulder camera until he proved himself they can lol. GOW is not perfect but mostly holds up the stuff that makes a good combat.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 nepu7supastar7

@ellos:

Yeah, you can still unleash combos too so it's not like it took much off what we remember. Except for air moves but those were small, anyway. The most important combos with the Blades of Chaos are still there. With that, the camera doesn't really matter.

It's not like The Last of Us created the over shoulder view. Gears of War and Dead Space had it too. So did Resident Evil 4. It's a pretty popular angle to use.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: "New GoW didn't explain shit how Kratos changed but the reason is apparent to draw in the TLOU/UC crowd."

lol@ TLOU/UC crowd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ellos:

Yeah, you can still unleash combos too so it's not like it took much off what we remember. Except for air moves but those were small, anyway. The most important combos with the Blades of Chaos are still there. With that, the camera doesn't really matter.

It's not like The Last of Us created the over shoulder view. Gears of War and Dead Space had it too. So did Resident Evil 4. It's a pretty popular angle to use.

You don't see the difference between all those and God of War? It makes little sense to compare shooters, horror shooters and survival shooters with action games. In a shooter, what matters is what's in the center of the screen. In an action game, you're constantly dealing with enemies on all sides. A game should use a camera best suited to the gameplay. Which God of War does not. It has given me more trouble than it's worth and is only made tolerable by lame artificial warning icons. That's terrible. There are good reasons most of these games use wide cameras. Sony didn't care. It had to be this way because this is their winning cinematic formula right now.

@ellos said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I'm the one that posted that video from a good channel that just looks at core development designs. The video talks all sorts of different games that follow the designed that made them good. They omitted hack and f***in slash camera as a must. I think we need to separate this idea that only hack and slash can make combat good. Therefore only hack and slash camera is needed. Combat can be about designing a challenge for the player and then giving them tools solid mechanics to tackle those challenges. Preferably in different ways for added depth. And just like that video talks about things like feel and feed back to the player goes a long way. The camera can be first person, a one screen static camera, over the shoulder why should it matter. If the design is there and the mechanics are solid I personally don't care. I get it different camera systems are not for everyone. Some people are hurt by CDPR going First Person. The creator of RE once said games can never work with over the shoulder camera until he proved himself they can lol. GOW is not perfect but mostly holds up the stuff that makes a good combat.

RE4 proved itself with OTS. God of War did not. Cyberpunk is an RPG shooter, not an action-RPG like TW3. Not comparable. My above post is partially for you too.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By ellos

@ellos said:
@ezekiel43 said:

RE4 proved itself with OTS. God of War did not. Cyberpunk is an RPG shooter, not an action-RPG like TW3. Not comparable. My above post is partially for you too.

GOW combat designers did not chicken out and put enemies in front of you waiting there turns because of oh shit this camera. They embraced it and designed a combat challenge. They put you into the arena with enemies that will attack you from all sorts of angles and some are deadly. You cannot see everything. The challenge is for you the player to learn the mechanics and use them to control the arena. You can turn off the indicators because the game has more then that shit for you. You have boy and talking head you can listen. You got the weapons designed for the challenge like the axe, boy and his arrows. You got different style of attacking or just keeping the enemies at bay. You can upgrade boy and yourself to be even more useful. Look whats in front of you move around and priorities. For an even more pure designed challenge you can fight in immersive mode no indicators just how adept you are with the mechanics. For me i appreciate that the combat embraced the camera design. It was part of the combat design even if the motivations where for something else. Kudos to the combat design team for that.

The reference to RE creator was about not following some camera design blue print. Something he himself thought it wouldn't work for the type of game. GOW proved itself for me I don't see that combat being good without that challenge. It made just fighting the normal mobs fun.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#228  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Hot take brah. Post to 4chan. Nothing but NPCs here...

I bet OP is the first person to ever dislike a popular videogame based on personal opinion. Quick everybody, make it a big fin deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@ellos said:
@ellos said:
@ezekiel43 said:

GOW combat designers did not chicken out and put enemies in front of you waiting there turns because of oh shit this camera. They embraced it and designed a combat challenge. They put you into the arena with enemies that will attack you from all sorts of angles and some are deadly. You cannot see everything. The challenge is for you the player to learn the mechanics and use them to control the arena. You can turn off the indicators because the game has more then that shit for you. You have boy and talking head you can listen. You got the weapons designed for the challenge like the axe, boy and his arrows. You got different style of attacking or just keeping the enemies at bay. You can upgrade boy and yourself to be even more useful. Look whats in front of you move around and priorities. For an even more pure designed challenge you can fight in immersive mode no indicators just how adept you are with the mechanics. For me i appreciate that the combat embraced the camera design. It was part of the combat design even if the motivations where for something else. Kudos to the combat design team for that.

The reference to RE creator was about not following some camera design blue print. Something he himself thought it wouldn't work for the type of game. GOW proved itself for me I don't see that combat being good without that challenge. It made just fighting the normal mobs fun.

I find the combat simplistic. I know the companions warn you, but I would still prefer a wider camera. It's not fun being so limited in an action game, in my opinion, constantly having to push the second stick. Real life isn't even that claustrophobic. I've had several moments where the auto-aim system also repeatedly targeted the wrong enemy, which was frustrating and made me curse at the screen. I found it much easier to pick my targets in the old games. The jump added to the combat, which is now impossible with this camera. I think it was a stupid idea. I'm glad Devil May Cry 5 isn't pulling this shit, but then again I would never expect Capcom to be so foolish anyway. The old God of War had more adventure elements than DMC, but it was still very much an action game and I don't think it helps to pretend it's part of a different genre with wholly different standards, which that YouTube author PC_Rocks posted eloquently talked about in another video.

Loading Video...

I've had some fun battles Chivalry, but that first person perspective works for me because there aren't that many enemies and I have a better aiming tool.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By ellos

@ezekiel43 said:
@ellos said:
@ellos said:

I find the combat simplistic. I know the companions warn you, but I would still prefer a wider camera. It's not fun being so limited in an action game, in my opinion, constantly having to push the second stick. Real life isn't even that claustrophobic. I've had several moments where the auto-aim system also repeatedly targeted the wrong enemy, which was frustrating and made me curse at the screen. I found it much easier to pick my targets in the old games. The jump added to the combat, which is now impossible with this camera. I think it was a stupid idea. I'm glad Devil May Cry 5 isn't pulling this shit, but then again I would never expect Capcom to be so foolish anyway. The old God of War had more adventure elements than DMC, but it was still very much an action game and I don't think it helps to pretend it's part of a different genre with wholly different standards, which that YouTube author PC_Rocks posted eloquently talked about in another video.

I've had some fun battles Chivalry, but that first person perspective works for me because there aren't that many enemies and I have a better aiming tool.

Look man I have said before in this thread. You can go ahead and compare these games you can compare TW3 or any game with combat. I'm not the folks that wronged this dude. I disagree with this hack and slash or else narrative. I just like others thinks there is no size fits all to games with good combat. The needs of this GOW are different from Devil May Cry or the old GOW. Just like the video I posted states. Do you understand this or are you just gonna keep pressing this its not hack and slash its not Devil May Cry there for combat is not good and can never be good. This camera cannot work for DMC or old GOW therefore it is not good. What with this real life shit comparison its a video game. Heck in real life if monsters back stab you you wont see it coming lol. Ironically this movie game is very gamey no need to throw everything you can grab to criticise it. I have explained the commonality that made the combat good. I have praised the combat challenge that was designed with the camera in mind. Your gotta move with the camera. I can understand its not doing it for you. The inconsistency of it are actually credible criticism. This is not even my best combat gameplay that honer is with Bayonetta, DMC3, Furi and Nioh really up there for me so far. Despite that I think GOW combat is good and deaper in mechanics then the old games. Its better then those and a lot of games especially in 2018. Now that we have established for me its ok if a game has combat to be compared. I just think look in to the design of the particular game more don't get stuck on what type of a game is it. It has a good design and a great weapon design to go along with it. Celebrate these designers that said you know what this story vehicle child we gonna incorporate him in to combat gameplay. For me this GOW is quite good they really created something here. I can look forward to improvements consistency it works man.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@ezekiel43:

" In an action game, you're constantly dealing with enemies on all sides. A game should use a camera best suited to the gameplay."

God of War 4 has target indicators that cover all sides of Kratos. So it's pretty easy to know what's around you even if the camera isn't facing that way. I can see why other old fans don't like this change but it didn't take much time for me to adjust to it.

I always enjoy playing with an active camera controlled by the right thumbstick. It's what I do for Uncharted and other adventure games so it was a breeze to get used to GoW4's new camera. I always preferred a controllable camera versus a fixed position.

As strange as it sounds, it was alot easier for me to get good at GoW4 than it was in the older games. Mostly because now I can see everything around Kratos with the controllable camera instead of having to rely on a far angle. It also gives me a better view of the action.