Uncharted is not an Action Adventure series. Its a Third Person Shooter Series

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Wasn't there another thread about this like yesterday or a few days ago?

Anyways I'm gonna say the same thing I said on the other one. Since like last gen most of the Action Adventure genre apparently derived into a new genre called

ACTION adventure. Uncharted series is part of this new genre.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Action Adventure is a very broad genre and doesn't have a set amount of boundaries like some of the other genres do. Action Adventure is also some of the most intuitive and easily accessible, and has several possibilities.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Denying that Uncharted is a TPS is just dumb. You don't have any other way to play it, other than like a TPS. Sure you have great story, fantastic story telling, fantastic voice actors and great characters (Sully :cool: ) but it doesn't change the fact hat you are, in fact, shooting at someone or something 80% of the time

Desmonic

I hope You're not calling me dumb even if indirectly but I'll let that one pass.

You say 80% of shooting I say 60% maximum. Now who is telling the truth? Neither. Maybe we had a different experince with the same game. Its the only reason I can find for the discrepancy in the numbers we give. I seriously dont think (and I'm quite certain about that) I didnt spent 80% of the game shooting but thats me

60% implies that you only spend little over half of your overall time in the game shooting and a little under half of your time doing whatever (be it puzzles, treasures, walking, whatever really). Which I don't agree with since I "flew" by the puzzles and spend very little time searching for the treasures (as I said before, a great deal of the treasure are easy to spot and get).

But even by your experience it's more of a TPS than anything else. A TPS with Action Adventure elements but a TPS nonetheless, not the other way around.

But I DID only spent little over half the game shooting, especially in U3 were I'm pretty sure I used more meelee combat then shooting and in those chasing sequences but again, thats me. Also, as I already stated, I dint "flew" by the puzzles in U3. They actually made me think for awhile, but again... thats me

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#105 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Denying that Uncharted is a TPS is just dumb. You don't have any other way to play it, other than like a TPS. Sure you have great story, fantastic story telling, fantastic voice actors and great characters (Sully :cool: ) but it doesn't change the fact hat you are, in fact, shooting at someone or something 80% of the time

Desmonic

I hope You're not calling me dumb even if indirectly but I'll let that one pass.

You say 80% of shooting I say 60% maximum. Now who is telling the truth? Neither. Maybe we had a different experince with the same game. Its the only reason I can find for the discrepancy in the numbers we give. I seriously dont think (and I'm quite certain about that) I didnt spent 80% of the game shooting but thats me

60% implies that you only spend little over half of your overall time in the game shooting and a little under half of your time doing whatever (be it puzzles, treasures, walking, whatever really). Which I don't agree with since I "flew" by the puzzles and spend very little time searching for the treasures (as I said before, a great deal of the treasure are easy to spot and get).

But even by your experience it's more of a TPS than anything else. A TPS with Action Adventure elements but a TPS nonetheless, not the other way around.

Collecting treasure shouldn't even count, it's not a mandatory feature of the game. That like arguing Gears might not be a pure shooter since you collect cog tags. And the puzzles practically solved themself.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Desmonic

But I DID only spent little over half the game shooting, especially in U3 were I'm pretty sure I used more meelee combat then shooting and in those chasing sequences but again, thats me. Also, as I already stated, I dint "flew" by the puzzles in U3. They actually made me think for awhile, but again... thats me

Pretty sure you can knife your way to victory in COD and it's still a FPS not a First Person Knifing :P lol

Dont know about that, never tried :P

You'll call it a TPS with action adventure elements and I'll call it an action adventure with TPS elements and lets leave it at that. This argument wont go anywhere

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Plain and simple. What are the 3 things you do the most in Uncharted?

1. Platform (terribly I might add, clearly not a platformer, not even a hybrid)
2. Collect treasure (yeah you do this in RE too and its obviously a TPS as well)
3. Shoot things in a third person perspective. (you sort of do this like . . . . a lot)

I don't know where people are confusing pacing with genre. For example, just because I do watch cutscenes in a final fantasy games it does not some how become a movie. Just because I pick a costume for a fighter in like Street Fighter, it doesn't suddenly become a dress up game.

Uncharted is a great third person shooter series. Its hardly an action adventure game. Its closer to pure action (which it actually is but shooters are an off shoot of that by nature and action games are given to stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry). You don't adventure worth shiit in uncharted, you go in a strickly linear path filled with shallow platforming and puzzles to break up the constant shooting. Hell, you have a more legitimate claim at Metroid Prime being an action adventure game than Uncharted. So its good, Uncharted, great shooter series, (nothing wrong with shooters) let's move on.

ActicEdge

Wow you have no idea what a tps is, these are TPS.

BinaryDomain8.jpg

gears.gif

screen-1961.jpg

maxpayne3-3.jpg

ghost-recon-3-guide.jpg

How do you get DMC and NG as an action adventure game (which of course they are) but you don't do squat in adventuring and they are even more linear path than Uncharted?.

Gamers now and days are just so ****** stupid, the game has guns? clearly it must be labeled as a tps or fps....

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
Who cares
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#110 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

So is GTA now a driving game? because i spend most of my time driving but there is some shooting in it too :o The shooting is pretty subpar too, rockstar just added the shooting to please the CoD kiddies to what is absolutely an open world driving game.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

This subject matter must really bother you if you want to carry on from another thread and dedicate a whole topic, been done before as well, let it go Actic. It's an action-adventure. The genre encompasses third person shooter, platforming, globe-trotting, set-pieces and story. Uncharted is action-adventure. Just play Uncharted 3, you don't get a gun until an hour and a half into the game and the series has plenty of moments where puzzles play a huge role.Swift_Boss_A

Though I do like watching TC get owned en masse

All this Uncharted 3 talk makes me want to play it again,

you know what? screw it!!!:D

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I'm going to call it a puzzle game because this doesn't matter.

EDIT: It's actually a racing game.

GSposter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 GSposter1
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

Very overrated series.

Everybody talks about the story and graphics, but strangely, nobody mentions gameplay...

TopTierHustler
The gameplay in Uncharted is great! It's smooth, and its fun! There , I mentioned it! Uncharted would not be as critically acclaimed as it is, and as beloved by fans as it is, if it didn't also have the great gameplay to match. You sir, "very over rated" troll.
Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

Oh look, another thread where TC tries to confine something to some tight, genre specific label.

Who.the.hell.cares.

Most big budget games at this point are infusing elements from various genres. You guys will argue about anything.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

I'd argue that the game is closer to a sadism simulator crossed with a collapsing structure simulator.

It wasn't so bad in Uncharted 2 (though got a little excessive toward the end), but in Uncharted 3 so many objects, floors, walls, and celiings collapsed that I actually got f*cking bored of it. And you basically spend the entire game watching Drake get beaten to death. Problem is, since it's all either canned actions or cutscenes, there is never any real threat.

And when 1 bullet can kill a character in a cut-scene, but you and your enemies soak up countless rounds in-game before shifting the mortal coil, it just doesn't sit right.

And Drake's constant wise-cracks started to grate. And why does he constantly talk to himself when he's alone in the desert?! STFU Drake. Save your goddamn strength.

[spoiler] ...and when you eventually make your way out of the desert, after passing out and being massively dehydrated and close to death, of course another thousand enemies turn up and all of a sudden Drake's in 'run around, shoot everyone and moan when I lunge' mode. Uncharted 3 was just so bad compared to the second. [/spoiler]

At least there's comfort in knowing that the team responsible for UC2 are currently working on TLOU, and had nothing to do with the POS third game.

GSposter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 GSposter1
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

I'd argue that the game is closer to a sadism simulator crossed with a collapsing structure simulator.

It wasn't so bad in Uncharted 2 (though got a little excessive toward the end), but in Uncharted 3 so many objects, floors, walls, and celiings collapsed that I actually got f*cking bored of it. And you basically spend the entire game watching Drake get beaten to death. Problem is, since it's all either canned actions or cutscenes, there is never any real threat.

And when 1 bullet can kill a character in a cut-scene, but you and your enemies soak up countless rounds in-game before shifting the mortal coil, it just doesn't sit right.

And Drake's constant wise-cracks started to grate. And why does he constantly talk to himself when he's alone in the desert?! STFU Drake. Save your goddamn strength.

[spoiler] ...and when you eventually make your way out of the desert, after passing out and being massively dehydrated and close to death, of course another thousand enemies turn up and all of a sudden Drake's in 'run around, shoot everyone and moan when I lunge' mode. Uncharted 3 was just so bad compared to the second. [/spoiler]

At least there's comfort in knowing that the team responsible for UC2 are currently working on TLOU, and had nothing to do with the POS third game.

dommeus
Some body is anal nit-picking for the sake of it. Its a video game bro. I could make the same CRITICISMS for any game in the same exact manner. Just relax. Look at Uncharted for what it is, and enjoy Uncharted for what it is. If its not your type of game, then don't play it. LOL this is just irrational hate on your part. Give credit where credit is due. Uncharted 3 did far more things right, then it did do things "bad." Don't be that hater. Even with your "complaints" that still doesn't make it a POS game. Off topic, but do you want my opinion? I thought Gears 2 and Gears 3 were POS uninspired and repetitive games
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 4dr1el

dommeus

Games... serious business

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#118 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

Very overrated series.

Everybody talks about the story and graphics, but strangely, nobody mentions gameplay...

GSposter1
The gameplay in Uncharted is great! It's smooth, and its fun! There , I mentioned it! Uncharted would not be as critically acclaimed as it is, and as beloved by fans as it is, if it didn't also have the great gameplay to match. You sir, "very over rated" troll.

So are you saying the Heavy Rain has good gameplay too despite being merely made up of nothing but on screen button pressing prompts and buttong pressing mini games? No, Uncharted doesn't have great gameplay, but the gameplay is in service to it's heavly scripted scenes that people are so impressed with and clearly heavily scripted scenes is good enough for a lot of people to award it game of the year. A lot of people just want movie games.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="GSposter1"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

Very overrated series.

vashkey

So are you saying the Heavy Rain has good gameplay too despite being merely made up of nothing but on screen button pressing prompts and buttong pressing mini games? No, Uncharted doesn't have great gameplay, but the gameplay is in service to it's heavly scripted scenes that people are so impressed with and clearly heavily scripted scenes is good enough for a lot of people to award it game of the year. A lot of people just want movie games.

The shooting mechanics works great (in 2 and 3 :P) and the character movement is smooth. Seriously I don't see what makes Uncharted 2/3 gameplay worse than say Gears or Max Payne. Scripted gameplay is more during the traversal/platforming momemts.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="GSposter1"] The gameplay in Uncharted is great! It's smooth, and its fun! There , I mentioned it! Uncharted would not be as critically acclaimed as it is, and as beloved by fans as it is, if it didn't also have the great gameplay to match. You sir, "very over rated" troll.m_machine024

The shooting mechanics works great (in 2 and 3 :P) and the character movement is smooth. Seriously I don't see what makes Uncharted 2/3 gameplay worse than say Gears or Max Payne. Scripted gameplay is more during the traversal/platforming momemts.

No way man, I don't know what you're talking about. I read somewhere that the gameplay is horrible and it is just QTEs. Since the internet is only full of vocal intelligent adults voicing facts instead of opinions, that must be true. Where did I read it again? system wars? See!? indesputable proof that the game has horrible gameplay. checkmate my friend?!?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

This subject matter must really bother you if you want to carry on from another thread and dedicate a whole topic, been done before as well, let it go Actic. It's an action-adventure. The genre encompasses third person shooter, platforming, globe-trotting, set-pieces and story. Uncharted is action-adventure. Just play Uncharted 3, you don't get a gun until an hour and a half into the game and the series has plenty of moments where puzzles play a huge role.Swift_Boss_A

I actually just haven't made a thread in a while and I played the uncharted games recently. Its debate, its not like I'm about to like shoot someone who disagrees, anyway I've stopped replying, now I'm just enjoying reading. Not sure why a friendly debate needs to turn into something more.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#123 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts
Egh, I still think Action Adventure suits it more. Not sure why there has to be a stigma with "shooter" being applied to it though.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 4dr1el

[QUOTE="GSposter1"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

Very overrated series.

vashkey

Please shut the fvck up

stop spitting stupidity and ignorance

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Please shut the fvck up

4dr1el
Why don't you actually muster up a response instead of just screaming at him?
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

Please shut the fvck up

Stevo_the_gamer

lol
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 ActicEdge

Egh, I still think Action Adventure suits it more. Not sure why there has to be a stigma with "shooter" being applied to it though.Stevo_the_gamer

Nothing wrong with shooter. TPS is one of my favourite genres :| I don't see why everyone thinks that because I'm saying its a TPS, its poor or something. Its just a genre, just saying that I think its being labeled incorrectly off of what I understand to be the criteria (or at least what I think is reasonable criteria since I'm sure someone will be pissy about the wording of the former) to label a genre.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

Please shut the fvck up

Stevo_the_gamer

screaming? what made yhou think that exactly? I didnt even used capitals...

and respond to what? saying that Uncharted gunplay is actually pretty great and no worse than say gears majorly accepted as one of the best TPS games? that the movement form drake is actually pretty fluid? why? He would just deny that...

People saying Uncharted has bad gameplay are morons that are just jumping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 m_machine024

[QUOTE="m_machine024"]

[QUOTE="vashkey"] So are you saying the Heavy Rain has good gameplay too despite being merely made up of nothing but on screen button pressing prompts and buttong pressing mini games? No, Uncharted doesn't have great gameplay, but the gameplay is in service to it's heavly scripted scenes that people are so impressed with and clearly heavily scripted scenes is good enough for a lot of people to award it game of the year. A lot of people just want movie games.ohgeez

No way man, I don't know what you're talking about. I read somewhere that the gameplay is horrible and it is just QTEs. Since the internet is only full of vocal intelligent adults voicing facts instead of opinions, that must be true. Where did I read it again? system wars? See!? indesputable proof that the game has horrible gameplay. checkmate my friend?!?

lol eh.... yeah people say uncharted gameplay is bad but never say why beside the scripting which isn't in the whole game.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="4dr1el"]

Please shut the fvck up

4dr1el

screaming? what made yhou think that exactly? I didnt even used capitals...

and respond to what? saying that Uncharted gunplay is actually pretty great and no worse than say gears majorly accepted as one of the best TPS games? that the movement form drake is actually pretty fluid? why? He would just deny that...

People saying Uncharted has bad gameplay are morons that are just jumping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it.

The gameplay is solid aside from the rather shallow fight scenes and platforming, but you should at least hear him out. Vashkey isn't your typical SW dumbass, he's quite well rounded.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 4dr1el

he's quite well rounded.Stevo_the_gamer

well, he certainly doesnt look so

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 m_machine024

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]This subject matter must really bother you if you want to carry on from another thread and dedicate a whole topic, been done before as well, let it go Actic. It's an action-adventure. The genre encompasses third person shooter, platforming, globe-trotting, set-pieces and story. Uncharted is action-adventure. Just play Uncharted 3, you don't get a gun until an hour and a half into the game and the series has plenty of moments where puzzles play a huge role.ActicEdge

I actually just haven't made a thread in a while and I played the uncharted games recently. Its debate, its not like I'm about to like shoot someone who disagrees, anyway I've stopped replying, now I'm just enjoying reading. Not sure why a friendly debate needs to turn into something more.

Friendly debate? In SW? Really? :P

lol personnally I always try debate friendly (like ex I have nothing against Vashkey and not trying to own him) but rarely it's taken that way. It's serious bizness down here.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ohgeez"][QUOTE="m_machine024"] The shooting mechanics works great (in 2 and 3 :P) and the character movement is smooth. Seriously I don't see what makes Uncharted 2/3 gameplay worse than say Gears or Max Payne. Scripted gameplay is more during the traversal/platforming momemts.

m_machine024

lol eh.... yeah people say uncharted gameplay is bad but never say why beside the scripting which isn't in the whole game.

Uncharted has great gameplay as a whole. I think there are some issues but people saying that like the shooting is terrible are exagerating. Its good, solid and carries out what its meant to do well even if its not "the best".

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

he's quite well rounded.4dr1el

Because he has a different opinion that you? :?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]This subject matter must really bother you if you want to carry on from another thread and dedicate a whole topic, been done before as well, let it go Actic. It's an action-adventure. The genre encompasses third person shooter, platforming, globe-trotting, set-pieces and story. Uncharted is action-adventure. Just play Uncharted 3, you don't get a gun until an hour and a half into the game and the series has plenty of moments where puzzles play a huge role.m_machine024

Friendly debate? In SW? Really? :P

lol personnally I always try debate friendly (like ex I have nothing against Vashkey and not trying to own him) but rarely it's taken that way. It's serious bizness down here.

Seems so. Like, at the end of this I have more respect for those who disagree with reasoning at least. But this whole "have u even playzed the games" is just friggin stupid. Yes, yes I have, and I'm suppose to assume you have by the same logic lol :P

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#136 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61536 Posts

I honestly don't think this matters :( Can't say I disagree though :P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Egh, I still think Action Adventure suits it more. Not sure why there has to be a stigma with "shooter" being applied to it though.ActicEdge

Nothing wrong with shooter. TPS is one of my favourite genres :| I don't see why everyone thinks that because I'm saying its a TPS, its poor or something. Its just a genre, just saying that I think its being labeled incorrectly off of what I understand to be the criteria (or at least what I think is reasonable criteria since I'm sure someone will be pissy about the wording of the former) to label a genre.

I see the merit in calling it a TPS, but nothing to be upset over here. Silly Uncharted fans. Almost as silly as Mass Effect fans (LOL ADOBE). :P

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Yup its a tps. Not even really a good one, but obviously people like it.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

he's quite well rounded.Stevo_the_gamer

no. because he's trying to pass that opinion as fact

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="4dr1el"]

4dr1el

Just like you, hence the "People saying Uncharted has bad gameplay are morons that are just jumping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it."

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Egh, I still think Action Adventure suits it more. Not sure why there has to be a stigma with "shooter" being applied to it though.Stevo_the_gamer
id say its just an action game. its like an action movie you play
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Because he has a different opinion that you? :?Stevo_the_gamer

Just like you, hence the "People saying Uncharted has bad gameplay are morons that are just jumping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it."

true

I should have said "some" or even "most"

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
^ made me LOL What's going on with the mouth btw? :lol:
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

I would call it a hybrid. It's both Action-Adventure and TPS.

Problem is though, more and more games are becoming hybrids than they used to be. Like COD for example, has some RPG elements involved with the main core being a FPS.

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

you must of got really mad to make this thread,:shock:

jimmyrussle117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 jimmyrussle117
Member since 2012 • 850 Posts

Wikipedia says otherwise.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I know you guys aren't thinking this deep about the game when you're actually playing it.

holy hell.