Uncharted is not an Action Adventure series. Its a Third Person Shooter Series

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

The main issue is that game incorporation so many elements that its genre becomes a mystery. I would call Uncharted a third person action adventure game. Its the most broad description of the game. Calling something a third person shooter is kinda dumb imo, because its like calling Cloverfield a shaky cam sci fi movie. Its a sci fi movie, no matter what kinda of camera technique is used. Calling a game a shooter sorta defeats the purpose of calling games action/adventure/action adventure etc. Third person shooter is more like describing something than categorizing it. Its also like calling something a guitar pop song, its a pop song that features a guitar. You can go as in depth as you want with your descriptions but its pretty ridiculous. Nonstop-Madness

I dunno man, its a pretty good description. you're not going to tell someone "hey if you like puzzles you'll love uncharted". You're not going to tell anyone "hey if you plove platformers Uncharted is where its at", However, if you say, "if you like third person shooters you'll probabl enjoy Uncharted" its a pretty damn fair description of the core gameplay. A genre is a definition of the core idea of the medium so that people can make and initial judgement on whether it's something they can enjoy. You don't really adventure as a player in uncharted more so than just do some super linear tranversal and solve sorry excuses for puzzles. You basically don't have a game without the shooting which is basically why uncharted is a 3rd person shooter.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]The thing is, if uncharted had swords instead of guns it would be considered an action adventure automatically. what people fail to understand is that all shooters are action adventure games. simomate

No all shooters are action games. Action adventures require an adventure and non linear aspect as well as a reasonable amount of environmental and puzzle solving aspects too. Shooters and games like bayonetta and devil may cry are off shoots of action. Something like Zelda or luigi's mansion are more a kin to action adventure games.

This. Your logic, mrmusicman is that COD is an adventure game? Nothing the sorts, the whole time you are going in one general direction, you don't choose anything. Mario 64 could, perhaps, be classified as an Adventure Platformer because it features open levels in which you can EXPLORE vividly in your search for the power stars.Plus you have the castle itself where you are allowed to explore to your hearts content. You can return to any of these areas whenever you want. Zelda games are adventure games for the same reason. Puzzles are very common in adventure games but simply having puzzles doesn't mean its an adventure game. Assasins Creed is an adventure game. You could call Metal GEar solid an adventure game. I never played Uncharted so I can't judge that.

Would you call a game composed by 50% shooting, 30% traversal (simple platforming) and 20% puzzles a shooter? I know I wouldnt

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.mrmusicman247

Shooting doesn't make something a shooter. That said, without shooting, Uncharted is not really much of a game at all.

An action adventure game is a game that can survive on it's own with out the shooting? Are you saying action adventure games can't have shooting?

No they can, as I said, if you don't wanna call metroid prime an FPS it has a legitimate claim at being an action adventure game. The environmental puzzle soving and the fact that the game doesn't make combat its sole carrying factor gives it a legitimate claim at action adventure. Uncharted though, man, the games are nothing without the shooter aspect, nothing at all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#54 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Anybody with common sense knows its a 3rd person shooter. Its just that people who are fans/fanboys of something (speaking in general) like to attribute special names to something to make it seem "different", so that when they hold it to the standards it SHOULD be being held to, they can give it a free pass.

Like pointing out Uncharted's terrible gunplay/shooting mechanics, etc....and comparing it to a game like Max Payne 3, which Ive done before on here and people try so hard to distance Uncharted from Max Payne. Some lulzy responses I got were......."derp....uncharted's not a 'pure' tps!!! its nothing like Max Payne.....its got teh platforming. Its not about the shooting".....:| Max Payne 3 literally IS Uncharted with blood, swearing, better shooting, no climbing, and replace the treasure hunting antagonists with drug cartels and paramilitary human organ farmers. The scripted moments where it makes you walk at snail pace, even down to making Fabiana "climb up there and drop that latter down for me".

I also love when people try to act like Uncharted is 30% shooting, 30% puzzles, and 30% "platforming". No MF'er its %80 shooting, 5% puzzles, and 15% platforming. And its not even platforming, its "traversal".

StrongDeadlift
You do realize 30%+30%+30% does not equal 100% right... :roll:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="simomate"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

No all shooters are action games. Action adventures require an adventure and non linear aspect as well as a reasonable amount of environmental and puzzle solving aspects too. Shooters and games like bayonetta and devil may cry are off shoots of action. Something like Zelda or luigi's mansion are more a kin to action adventure games.

4dr1el

This. Your logic, mrmusicman is that COD is an adventure game? Nothing the sorts, the whole time you are going in one general direction, you don't choose anything. Mario 64 could, perhaps, be classified as an Adventure Platformer because it features open levels in which you can EXPLORE vividly in your search for the power stars.Plus you have the castle itself where you are allowed to explore to your hearts content. You can return to any of these areas whenever you want. Zelda games are adventure games for the same reason. Puzzles are very common in adventure games but simply having puzzles doesn't mean its an adventure game. Assasins Creed is an adventure game. You could call Metal GEar solid an adventure game. I never played Uncharted so I can't judge that.

Would you call a game composed by 50% shooting, 30% traversal (simple platforming) and 20% puzzles a shooter? I know I wouldnt

Luckily Uncharted isn't that series since its more like 70% shooting, 20% traversal and 10% puzzles.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 4dr1el

Uncharted though, man, the games are nothing without the shooter aspect, nothing at all.

ActicEdge

And you continue with your bullsh1t over and over again.

Put in your thick head that your opinion isnt a fact.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="simomate"] This. Your logic, mrmusicman is that COD is an adventure game? Nothing the sorts, the whole time you are going in one general direction, you don't choose anything. Mario 64 could, perhaps, be classified as an Adventure Platformer because it features open levels in which you can EXPLORE vividly in your search for the power stars.Plus you have the castle itself where you are allowed to explore to your hearts content. You can return to any of these areas whenever you want. Zelda games are adventure games for the same reason. Puzzles are very common in adventure games but simply having puzzles doesn't mean its an adventure game. Assasins Creed is an adventure game. You could call Metal GEar solid an adventure game. I never played Uncharted so I can't judge that. ActicEdge

Luckily Uncharted isn't that series since its more like 70% shooting, 20% traversal and 10% puzzles.

no

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It's sort of a hybrid for me personally. In its core design it is a TPS however numerous other elements including platforming, and solving puzzles elevate the game from another third person games. Warhammer 40000 for example is more categorized more as TPS then Uncharted series.

It's Action Adventure TPS in my book.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

I dont know about you but I much enjoy the meelee combat, traversal (simple but effective) and the puzzles in Uncharted games. Sooting is fun but honestly is not the main attraction for me. So no, maybe FOR YOU uncharted isnt much of a game without shooting but dont say it like its a fact

4dr1el

Melle combat in itself I don't really classify as anything special but I don't consider melee a big part of most shooters. You can not shoot a bullet in Uncharted to kill enimies in theory but it would be stupid and not the point considering there are guns littered everywhere and drake blatantly disarms and opponents just to use their weapons several times in the series.

games... serious business

again, everything you said its YOUR OPINION, wich I respect but please, dont try passing it out like a fact. I like Uncharted traversal, meelee combat, puzzles, settings, story, dialogue, characters, etc etc, more then I like the shooting. For my shooting fix I rather play Vanquish wich is a real TPS

Having a setting, story, dialogue and characters doesn't define a genre at all. You liking melee combat in uncharted doesn't change the fact that the game is over bearing with how badly it wants you to pick up a gun and shoot thing and the fact that entire sections can't be beaten without using a gun. I mean the fact that you would rather play vanguish as opposed to uncharted means uncharted just isn't a very good TPS more than its in some different genre.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Melle combat in itself I don't really classify as anything special but I don't consider melee a big part of most shooters. You can not shoot a bullet in Uncharted to kill enimies in theory but it would be stupid and not the point considering there are guns littered everywhere and drake blatantly disarms and opponents just to use their weapons several times in the series.

ActicEdge

again, everything you said its YOUR OPINION, wich I respect but please, dont try passing it out like a fact. I like Uncharted traversal, meelee combat, puzzles, settings, story, dialogue, characters, etc etc, more then I like the shooting. For my shooting fix I rather play Vanquish wich is a real TPS

Having a setting, story, dialogue and characters doesn't define a genre at all. You liking melee combat in uncharted doesn't change the fact that the game is over bearing with how badly it wants you to pick up a gun and shoot thing and the fact that entire sections can't be beaten without using a gun. I mean the fact that you would rather play vanguish as opposed to uncharted means uncharted just isn't a very good TPS more than its in some different genre.

Wut? do you lack reading comprehension skills brah? cause it seems so

Were the fvck did I said those aspects defined the genre? I only stated that I liked other aspects in the game rather then the shooting. learn2read please

I prefer Vanquish when it comes to shooting but I still prefer Uncharted as a game. Now, as you said, if Uncharted isnt anything without the shooting then how is it possible that I like more Uncharted?

yeah...

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Uncharted though, man, the games are nothing without the shooter aspect, nothing at all.

4dr1el

I can understand that its an opinion but its kind of assumed that if you removed all of the sections where you need a gun in Uncharted, the other aspects such as the puzzles and the platforming wouldn't stand a chance in hell at carrying the experience in any legitimate way. I mean yeah its an opinion but its not crazy talk here. Its not like this is Metroid Prime or some shiit where the puzzles are pretty damn complex and constitute a large portion of what you do in the game. You solve a 2 minute puzzle and then engage in constant set pieces.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

4dr1el

Wut? do you lack reading comprehension skills brah? cause it seems so

Were the fvck did I said those aspects defined the genre? I only stated that I liked other aspects in the game rather then the shooting. learn2read please

I prefer Vanquish when it comes to shooting but I still prefer Uncharted as a game. Now, as you said, if Uncharted isnt anything without the shooting then how is it possible that I like more Uncharted?

yeah...

It seemed that you were insinuating more than that. If you weren't sorry I assumed so. Anyway, basically my answer is you like what uncharted brings to the table as a whole which is fine, you like the combination as opposed to the pure shooter action of vanguish. Uncharted is still a TPS first and foremost though, its the backbone of every set piece in the game.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I can understand that its an opinion but its kind of assumed that if you removed all of the sections where you need a gun in Uncharted, the other aspects such as the puzzles and the platforming wouldn't stand a chance in hell at carrying the experience in any legitimate way. I mean yeah its an opinion but its not crazy talk here. Its not like this is Metroid Prime or some shiit where the puzzles are pretty damn complex and constitute a large portion of what you do in the game. You solve a 2 minute puzzle and then engage in constant set pieces.

The complexity of the puzzles has nothing to do with it. And of course that if you removed the shooting of Uncharted it wouldnt be the same game JUST as if you remove the shooting of Metroid it wouldnt also be the same game and couldnt rely only on the puzzles or am I wrong? But still you say its legit to call metroid an action adventure but not legit call Uncharted an action adventure... thats flawed logic to me

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wait............people actually question whether or not Uncharted is a TPS? O.o? Dafuq?.. I swear SW is getting dumber by the day...4dr1el

But it isnt a TPS. At least not in the vein of a gears or Vanquish. You're also in third person and shoot most of the time in Red Dead Redemption. Do you call it a TPS or an action adventure?

btw TC fun fact: Uncharted 3 won best Action adventure game in most awards (GT for ex) while it wasnt even nominated on best TPS. I think professional reviewers know more then you

Professional reviewers don't have to defend their opinion from anyone, they pick a genre and thats it. There is some pretty damn strong evidence that its not in that genre though

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wait............people actually question whether or not Uncharted is a TPS? O.o? Dafuq?.. I swear SW is getting dumber by the day...ActicEdge

But it isnt a TPS. At least not in the vein of a gears or Vanquish. You're also in third person and shoot most of the time in Red Dead Redemption. Do you call it a TPS or an action adventure?

btw TC fun fact: Uncharted 3 won best Action adventure game in most awards (GT for ex) while it wasnt even nominated on best TPS. I think professional reviewers know more then you

Professional reviewers don't have to defend their opinion from anyone, they pick a genre and thats it. There is some pretty damn strong evidence that its not in that genre though

There is pretty damn strong evidence that is in the genre. You only refuse to see it

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

4dr1el

The complexity of the puzzles has nothing to do with it. And of course that if you removed the shooting of Uncharted it wouldnt be the same game JUST as if you remove the shooting of Metroid it wouldnt also be the same game and couldnt rely only on the puzzles or am I wrong? But still you say its legit to call metroid an action adventure but not legit call Uncharted an action adventure... thats flawed logic to me

Yes it does. The complexity of the puzzles and how long you do them defines whether or not the game has a focus on that aspect or its more of an aspect used to break up the monotomy before you get back to the main point. Its like saying CoD isn't an FPS because you pilot a boat and a jet at certain points. Its still an FPS, those things are used for pacing, not as a focus. You cannot legitimately sit here and say that Uncharted makes critical use of its puzzles like Metroid Prime. If you evaluated Metroid Prime on its puzzles, it would still be a damn good puzzle game. Not so much with Uncharted, it wouldn't even be acknowledged. You could argue MP is more about exploring and puzzles than combat. You could never make that argument for Uncharted. Entire sections of MP is just puzzles, significant entire sections. Again, not so much in Uncharted.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

4dr1el

There is pretty damn strong evidence that is in the genre. You only refuse to see it

I've seen some solid points but nothing too too convincing. People have just said that it has other aspects which is fine but a game with tons of cutscenes doesn't suddenly become an RPG/movie. does it. I've layed out my criteria and haven't had much convincing points to say what I'm going by is built out of false assumptions unless you are crazy and think Uncharted is action 50% shooting, 30% platforming (actually just auto jumping) and 20% puzzles (lol)

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Yes it does. The complexity of the puzzles and how long you do them defines whether or not the game has a focus on that aspect or its more of an aspect used to break up the monotomy before you get back to the main point. Its like saying CoD isn't an FPS because you pilot a boat and a jet at certain points. Its still an FPS, those things are used for pacing, not as a focus. You cannot legitimately sit here and say that Uncharted makes critical use of its puzzles like Metroid Prime. If you evaluated Metroid Prime on its puzzles, it would still be a damn good puzzle game. Not so much with Uncharted, it wouldn't even be acknowledged. You could argue MP is more about exploring and puzzles than combat. You could never make that argument for Uncharted. Entire sections of MP is just puzzles, significant entire sections. Again, not so much in Uncharted.

WUT? Its like "comparing COD boating and floating..." WUT THA FVCK? What dumb analogy was that? It makes no freakin sense at all

U1 and U2 puzzles were simple yes, but U3 puzzles actually made me think and before you come with "you're just too dumb" replies have in mind I used to play old school survival horror games know for its complex puzzles and beat games more puzzle heavy then metroid ever dreamt to be (i.e. braid, limbo, machinarium, world of goo, etc, etc) and actually thought uncharted 3 puzzles were clever this time around and certainly took me more then 2 min to figure them out. If you beat them in less then 2 min or you're a genius (congratulations) or you're bullsh1tting me

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

It's a shooter, but it doesn't make it any less of an amazing series. I lol when people try to use "shooter" as meaning bad, it's not, deal with it.SaltyMeatballs

this, nothing wrong with it being a shooter.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
thanks for making ANOTHER thread about this. Clearly its a tps with platforming/adventure elements
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 4dr1el

unless you are crazy and think Uncharted is action 50% shooting, 30% platforming (actually just auto jumping) and 20% puzzles (lol)

ActicEdge

I'm not crazy. I honestly believe U games are no more then 60% maximum of shooting (and that is already stretching it). I can swear I spent plenty of time hanging arount in the scenarios treasure hunting, traversing (and actually jumping is the only thing on the platforming that isnt mechanic, have you even played the games? I looks you didnt seriously) and figuring out puzzles. Yes, shooting is the biggest part in the game, never denied that but so is Deus Ex and Red Dead Redemption but you dont see people calling them FPS/TPS respectively

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

4dr1el

WUT? Its like "comparing COD boating and floating..." WUT THA FVCK? What dumb analogy was that? It makes no freakin sense at all

U1 and U2 puzzles were simple yes, but U3 puzzles actually made me think and before you come with "you're just too dumb" replies have in mind I used to play old school survival horror games know for its complex puzzles and beat games more puzzle heavy then metroid ever dreamt to be (i.e. braid, limbo, machinarium, world of goo, etc, etc) and actually thought uncharted 3 puzzles were clever this time around and certainly took me more then 2 min to figure them out. If you beat them in less then 2 min or you're a genius (congratulations) or you're bullsh1tting me

I would never insinuate anyone sucks at video games here just for disagreeing. I would say that nothing in the Uncharted games is even remotely challenging puzzle wise whether or not you are good or bad at them. Limbo isn't really hard puzzle wise imo and neither is world of goo but that's just me (best puzzle game this gen was Zack and Wiki for having thinking puzzles that weren't all hard (though some of that shiit was tough) but made logical sense.) Uncharted 3 is a bit (I use this with great exageration too, a "bit") more difficult puzzle wise but I was never stumped. I've played waaaayy harder things than that, I'm no genius. I should specify though, the puzzles in U3 (not U1&2) those literally took me 2 mins) took me a few mins to figure out what to do, prob a bit longer to actually execute.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#73 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Add up the platorming and puzzle solving and the gun play isn't the focus. Do you guys even play these games or just chat about them on the internet? Cuase I'll tell you what what you see and what I play are totally different regarding the Uncharted series. Don't get me wrong there is shooting throughout Uncharted games but its not a super huge part of it from what I have played. Multiplayer shooting is paramount though I give you that.

xOMGITSJASONx

In UC2, gunplay is about 70% of the game. How is that not the focus?

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 4dr1el

Now I have to sleep. Its too late already. Tomorrow we continue this discussion

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#75 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Ok. Still a good series.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GreySeal9

damn, i don't see gears of war being talked about nearly the amount of times that uncharted has been on these boards, you guys sure love uncharted

Chris_Williams

But then again, Gears fans don't claim its anything other than a TPS.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

unless you are crazy and think Uncharted is action 50% shooting, 30% platforming (actually just auto jumping) and 20% puzzles (lol)

4dr1el

I'm not crazy. I honestly believe U games are no more then 60% maximum of shooting (and that is already stretching it). I can swear I spent plenty of time hanging arount in the scenarios treasure hunting, traversing (and actually jumping is the only thing on the platforming that isnt mechanic, have you even played the games? I looks you didnt seriously) and figuring out puzzles. Yes, shooting is the biggest part in the game, never denied that but so is Deus Ex and Red Dead Redemption but you dont see people calling them FPS/TPS respectively

I don't consider press x to automatically grab ladge platforming. I call SMG1&2, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ape Escape, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Bit Trip Runner, Meat Boy, etc platforming. I have a standard in which you don't automatically grab every ledge as long as you not an idiot and press X when you are in the wrong direction. Never played Deus Ex but Red Dead Redemption is a shooter though because of the huge world and how no linear it is its classified as a "sandbox" a genre that was only really brought into its own by the also rockstar created grand theft auto 3 which I'm fine with letting it have.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="simomate"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

4dr1el

Only the shooting is easily more than 50%.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="simomate"] This. Your logic, mrmusicman is that COD is an adventure game? Nothing the sorts, the whole time you are going in one general direction, you don't choose anything. Mario 64 could, perhaps, be classified as an Adventure Platformer because it features open levels in which you can EXPLORE vividly in your search for the power stars.Plus you have the castle itself where you are allowed to explore to your hearts content. You can return to any of these areas whenever you want. Zelda games are adventure games for the same reason. Puzzles are very common in adventure games but simply having puzzles doesn't mean its an adventure game. Assasins Creed is an adventure game. You could call Metal GEar solid an adventure game. I never played Uncharted so I can't judge that. GreySeal9

Only the shooting is easily more than 50%.

Seriously, what the hell games are these people playing? More like 80-85% shooting, for me. The rest is minor (still fun!) stuff to break up the shooting. Games like Half Life (with it's vehicle sections, platforming and physics puzzles) do the same thing. It's still a shooter.... since that's very clearly the main focus of the game. If you take away the shooting, Uncharted would be a 2 hour platformer where it's impossible to die, with a handful of easy puzzles...
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

Sure, in the same way Zelda is an action adventure game and not a pure adventure game.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Very overrated series.

Everybody talks about the story and graphics, but strangely, nobody mentions gameplay...

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

Very overrated series.

Everybody talks about the story and graphics, but strangely, nobody mentions gameplay...

TopTierHustler

Have you played any of them?

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
This is kind of a dumb thing to make a thread about...
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Very overrated series.

TopTierHustler
You can show graphics and describe story. You need to experience the awesome gameplay for yourself!
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I don't consider press x to automatically grab ladge platforming. I call SMG1&2, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ape Escape, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Bit Trip Runner, Meat Boy, etc platforming. I have a standard in which you don't automatically grab every ledge as long as you not an idiot and press X when you are in the wrong direction. Never played Deus Ex but Red Dead Redemption is a shooter though because of the huge world and how no linear it is its classified as a "sandbox" a genre that was only really brought into its own by the also rockstar created grand theft auto 3 which I'm fine with letting it have.

And where did I said Uncharted was a platformer in the vein of the examples you gave? Again, as I said what Uncharted has is traversal, not platforming but its still a big part in the game

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wait............people actually question whether or not Uncharted is a TPS? O.o? Dafuq?.. I swear SW is getting dumber by the day...Desmonic

Take the whole shooting and enemies out of the game. What do you get? A simple game where you travel from point A to point B, without much to do. Some treasures to collect (most of which are easy to spot), some random simple platforming here and there and that's it. You play the game in a third person perspective. You send 80% shooting people/monsters. Thus TPS. It's not that hard to get is it?

Also fail, RDR is sandbox title. however if you take away the shooting there is still plenty to do on the game itself. Something that doesn't happen in Uncharted. And before I get accused of anything, I have played both and actually have all 3 Uncharted's platinium'd - Here is my psn ID LuisVSC1993 enjoy.

1st. I dont consider Uncharted to have 80% shooting. 60% at maximum from my experience.

2nd. Funny you say I fail for saying RDR is an Action adevnture game and you call it a sandbox. Sandbox IS NOT a genre. Its just a branch of the Action adventure genre. You dont see "best sandbox" awards out there I'm pretty sure

3rd. The best way to describe Uncharted is, as already was posted by another user, an action adventure title with TPS elements just like Deus Ex is called an RPG with FPS elements

This will be always the way I'll see uncharted games and nothing will ever change that. I'll never see Uncharted as a TPS. TPS are games were you spent the entirety of the game shooting stuff ala Vanquish and Gears, something Uncharted isnt

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
A Big Mac is just a cheeseburger Whats wrong with you people!
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

TC, Did you click your heels together and wish upon a star before coming up with this?

Seriously what is with all the splitting of hairs done by Sheep?

Since when have Action and Adventure and TPS games been distinctly sperate genres? Since you said they were? Dumb.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
This subject matter must really bother you if you want to carry on from another thread and dedicate a whole topic, been done before as well, let it go Actic. It's an action-adventure. The genre encompasses third person shooter, platforming, globe-trotting, set-pieces and story. Uncharted is action-adventure. Just play Uncharted 3, you don't get a gun until an hour and a half into the game and the series has plenty of moments where puzzles play a huge role.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I think it's a TPS. I don't see why it matters though.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
I think it's a TPS. I don't see why it matters though.fabz_95
I don't think it's wrong to simply call it a TPS but it doesn't give the right picture. Vanquish and Gears are all about shooting so it's apt calling them TPS. But with Uncharted the game is broken up into so many genres that simply calling it one is just wrong, say you want convince a gamer who loves TPS to purchase Uncharted 3. Since you don't have a gun until an hour and a half into the game the person will think it's a terrible TPS title.

Calling it Action-Adventure paints an appropriate picture when explaining the game because this genre encompasses many; and Uncharted has puzzles, shooting, platforming/traversal and globe trotting. Pretty much every site calls it action and/or adventure as well because that's exactly what it is.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I just started playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune a few hours ago and I played the second back in 2010 I think. They're fun games but I don't really think that much of them beyond that. Not the best Playstation has to offer but still a good time.

You guys can try to force games into neat little boxes and categories all you want... doesn't change what they are though.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Might as well call Zelda a Hack 'n Slash...
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter. Nonstop-Madness

Then Half-Life isn't an FPS, but an action adventure. I don't think that we should use action adventure even as a genre. It is too broad for it and it really tells nothing about the game. If someone tells me a game is an action adventure, what does it tell me about the gameplay or style? Is it hack & slash action like God of War or Ninja Gaiden or is it shooter like Uncharted? Or sandbox like GTA?

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]

I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter.

Icarian

Then Half-Life isn't an FPS, but an action adventure. I don't think that we should use action adventure even as a genre. It is too broad for it and it really tells nothing about the game. If someone tells me a game is an action adventure, what does it tell me about the gameplay or style? Is it hack & slash action like God of War or Ninja Gaiden or is it shooter like Uncharted? Or sandbox like GTA?

It is a game with action, like combat of a sort, where you adventure: explore, gain key-items, solve puzzles (many optional, and abundant) etc.

Which doesn't describe Uncharted.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GreySeal9

Might as well call Zelda a Hack 'n Slash...AcidSoldner

Uh, no. Zelda's combat is an afterthought with the exception of Skyward Sword. Most of the game is dedicated to exploration and puzzle solving.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 4dr1el

Denying that Uncharted is a TPS is just dumb. You don't have any other way to play it, other than like a TPS. Sure you have great story, fantastic story telling, fantastic voice actors and great characters (Sully :cool: ) but it doesn't change the fact hat you are, in fact, shooting at someone or something 80% of the time

Desmonic

I hope You're not calling me dumb even if indirectly but I'll let that one pass.

You say 80% of shooting I say 60% maximum. Now who is telling the truth? Neither. Maybe we had a different experince with the same game. Its the only reason I can find for the discrepancy in the numbers we give. I seriously dont think (and I'm quite certain about that) I didnt spent 80% of the game shooting but thats me