Uncharted is not an Action Adventure series. Its a Third Person Shooter Series

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Plain and simple. What are the 3 things you do the most in Uncharted?

1. Platform (terribly I might add, clearly not a platformer, not even a hybrid)
2. Collect treasure (yeah you do this in RE too and its obviously a TPS as well)
3. Shoot things in a third person perspective. (you sort of do this like . . . . a lot)

I don't know where people are confusing pacing with genre. For example, just because I do watch cutscenes in a final fantasy games it does not some how become a movie. Just because I pick a costume for a fighter in like Street Fighter, it doesn't suddenly become a dress up game.

Uncharted is a great third person shooter series. Its hardly an action adventure game. Its closer to pure action (which it actually is but shooters are an off shoot of that by nature and action games are given to stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry). You don't adventure worth shiit in uncharted, you go in a strickly linear path filled with shallow platforming and puzzles to break up the constant shooting. Hell, you have a more legitimate claim at Metroid Prime being an action adventure game than Uncharted. So its good, Uncharted, great shooter series, (nothing wrong with shooters) let's move on.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Thank you for stating the obvious.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Cool story bro

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge

GD1551

You would think it would be obvious but clearly it isn't givem what I've been reading as of late. But your welcome, I suppose you would prefer me to say something stupid as that would be more to your liking then?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Well I'd call an action game but yeah I guess you shoot stuff 85% of the time.

It's definitly not adventure tho. We need more of those. :(

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Call of Duty is a First Person Shooter! omg wow!

:P

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
People have their stances on this, been argued to death, no one is going to convince anyone. One thing though is pretty much every site classified it as an action adventure, and everyone admits you do more than just shooting in the game, so there's that.
UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

Agreed. And by the way, did you see my recent thread where we discussed this very thing? It's amazing how many people think it doesn't classify as a shooter...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
well, then its one of the worst third person shooters on the market then
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
It's a shooter, but it doesn't make it any less of an amazing series. I lol when people try to use "shooter" as meaning bad, it's not, deal with it.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Yeah. If you spend the whole game shooting things, it's a shooter. Assassin's Creed is an example of action adventure. There, you platform, sword fight, stealth, explore, solve puzzles, loot, etc. More variety. Uncharted is all about shooting. Which is fine!
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I think we all know this.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ActicEdge

It's a shooter, but it doesn't make it any less of an amazing series. I lol when people try to use "shooter" as meaning bad, it's not, deal with it.SaltyMeatballs

Oh I agree the series is great :)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Yeah, it's a TPS Action Adventure.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Its not even that great a game let alone a TPS.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Add up the platorming and puzzle solving and the gun play isn't the focus. Do you guys even play these games or just chat about them on the internet? Cuase I'll tell you what what you see and what I play are totally different regarding the Uncharted series. Don't get me wrong there is shooting throughout Uncharted games but its not a super huge part of it from what I have played. Multiplayer shooting is paramount though I give you that.

MicrosoftRules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MicrosoftRules
Member since 2012 • 835 Posts

IGN says Third-Person Action. Gamespot says Action as well.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Add up the platorming and puzzle solving and the gun play isn't the focus.

xOMGITSJASONx

Oh,so kinda like Half Life 2? Man,and here i was thinking HL2 was a FPS all this time when it´s actually action adventure! :o

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
It's both.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

ActicEdge

You would think it would be obvious but clearly it isn't givem what I've been reading as of late. But your welcome, I suppose you would prefer me to say something stupid as that would be more to your liking then?

You already say enough stupid things, don't need you to add anymore.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

Add up the platorming and puzzle solving and the gun play isn't the focus. Do you guys even play these games or just chat about them on the internet? Cuase I'll tell you what what you see and what I play are totally different regarding the Uncharted series. Don't get me wrong there is shooting throughout Uncharted games but its not a super huge part of it from what I have played. Multiplayer shooting is paramount though I give you that.

xOMGITSJASONx

What puzzles lol. Calling what Uncharted does puzzles is insulting to actual good puzzle games. The platforming is terribly irrelevant, it adds nothing to the game even if it does exist. I have all 3 uncharted games. Its a shooter with different pacing but if you don't shoot crap in uncharted, you haven't played like 70% of the game.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

You already say enough stupid things don't need you to add anymore.

Awe cute, you have a sense of humour, (if not a terrible one) but here is neither the time nor the place and some of the responses in this thread clearly indicate its not as obvious as you want it to be.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GD1551

Awe cute, you have a sense of humour, (if not a terrible one) but here is neither the time nor the place and some of the responses in this thread clearly indicate its not as obvious as you want it to be.

ActicEdge

Time or place for what exactly?

MicrosoftRules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MicrosoftRules
Member since 2012 • 835 Posts

It's obviously a Third-Person Shooter Action/ Adventure game or TPSAA. :P

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Anybody with common sense knows its a 3rd person shooter. Its just that people who are fans/fanboys of something (speaking in general) like to attribute special names to something to make it seem "different", so that when they hold it to the standards it SHOULD be being held to, they can give it a free pass.

Like pointing out Uncharted's terrible gunplay/shooting mechanics, etc....and comparing it to a game like Max Payne 3, which Ive done before on here and people try so hard to distance Uncharted from Max Payne. Some lulzy responses I got were......."derp....uncharted's not a 'pure' tps!!! its nothing like Max Payne.....its got teh platforming. Its not about the shooting".....:| Max Payne 3 literally IS Uncharted with blood, swearing, better shooting, no climbing, and replace the treasure hunting antagonists with drug cartels and paramilitary human organ farmers. The scripted moments where it makes you walk at snail pace, even down to making Fabiana "climb up there and drop that latter down for me".

I also love when people try to act like Uncharted is 30% shooting, 30% puzzles, and 30% "platforming". No MF'er its %80 shooting, 5% puzzles, and 15% platforming. And its not even platforming, its "traversal".

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

GD1551

Time or place for what exactly?

Silly shots at each other. I'd rather stay on topic.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

damn, i don't see gears of war being talked about nearly the amount of times that uncharted has been on these boards, you guys sure love uncharted

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
lol
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="xOMGITSJASONx"]

ActicEdge

What puzzles lol. Calling what Uncharted does puzzles is insulting to actual good puzzle games. The platforming is terribly irrelevant, it adds nothing to the game even if it does exist. I have all 3 uncharted games. Its a shooter with different pacing but if you don't shoot crap in uncharted, you haven't played like 70% of the game.

NaughtyDog themselves have said that they wouldnt classify what is in Uncharted as "platforming", but as "traversal". But I lulz watching NaughtyDrones try to make that shyt out like its Mario or something.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts
I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrmusicman247

also yfw people have been to referring to resident evil as more actiony

you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I'll call it whatever I damn well please. So how do you like them apples. Seriously though. I call it an action adventure game. The shooting is the action part. I don't think I need to explain the adventure part.
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nanomage
I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter. Nonstop-Madness
Again,those very same elements(puzzle and platforming) are also in games like Half Life 2,doesn that make HL2 an action adventure instead of a FPS?
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter. Nanomage
Again,those very same elements(puzzle and platforming) are also in games like Half Life 2,doesn that make HL2 an action adventure instead of a FPS?

so it has to do those things well in order to be an action adventure?

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nanomage

[QUOTE="Nanomage"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]I wouldn't call it a TPS simply because it has platforming and puzzle elements. Those elements alone make it an action adventure game. A TPS is something like Gears or SOCOM. Just because a game features third person shooting doesn't make it a third person shooter. mrmusicman247

so it has to do those things well in order to be an action adventure?

Not my logic,I´m just saying that if Uncharted can be considered an action adventure because it also has platforming and puzzle solving(like some have said here already),then Half Life is also action adventure...and yet,it´s only known as a FPS,just like Uncharted is known as a TPS from many review outlets,it´s all a matter of consistency.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrmusicman247
The thing is, if uncharted had swords instead of guns it would be considered an action adventure automatically. what people fail to understand is that all shooters are action adventure games.
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ActicEdge

damn, i don't see gears of war being talked about nearly the amount of times that uncharted has been on these boards, you guys sure love uncharted

Chris_Williams

I do, Uncharted is pretty fun.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Uncharted is a game that cannot be defined by one mere title. And I'm not saying it's not a 3rd person shooter.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActicEdge

The thing is, if uncharted had swords instead of guns it would be considered an action adventure automatically. what people fail to understand is that all shooters are action adventure games. mrmusicman247

No all shooters are action games. Action adventures require an adventure and non linear aspect as well as a reasonable amount of environmental and puzzle solving aspects too. Shooters and games like bayonetta and devil may cry are off shoots of action. Something like Zelda or luigi's mansion are more a kin to action adventure games.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ActicEdge

Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.-ArchAngeL-777-

Shooting doesn't make something a shooter. That said, without shooting, Uncharted is not really much of a game at all.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

1st. You forgot puzzles.

2nd. Its not called platforming what Uncharted does, its traversal.

3rd. I'll still call it an action adventure game. what about now? You're gonna forbid me? For me a TPS is Vanquish or Gears where you spent 95% shooting. Uncharted games have like 50/60% of shooting so no. Its not a TPS for me. Its like calling Deus Ex a FPS

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts
The main issue is that game incorporation so many elements that its genre becomes a mystery. I would call Uncharted a third person action adventure game. Its the most broad description of the game. Calling something a third person shooter is kinda dumb imo, because its like calling Cloverfield a shaky cam sci fi movie. Its a sci fi movie, no matter what kinda of camera technique is used. Calling a game a shooter sorta defeats the purpose of calling games action/adventure/action adventure etc. Third person shooter is more like describing something than categorizing it. Its also like calling something a guitar pop song, its a pop song that features a guitar. You can go as in depth as you want with your descriptions but its pretty ridiculous.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 4dr1el

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.ActicEdge

Shooting doesn't make something a shooter. That said, without shooting, Uncharted is not really much of a game at all.

I dont know about you but I much enjoy the meelee combat, traversal (simple but effective) and the puzzles in Uncharted games. Shooting is fun but honestly is not the main attraction for me. So no, maybe FOR YOU uncharted isnt much of a game without shooting but dont say it like its a fact

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.ActicEdge

An action adventure game is a game that can survive on it's own with out the shooting? Are you saying action adventure games can't have shooting?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]Lots of games have shooting elements in them, but arent shooters. You could list just about anything from LBP Karting to Ratchet and Clank to Heavy Rain and everything in between. Uncharted is a action/adventure series because that's what its about first and foremost. You just happen to be able to use weapons along the way.4dr1el

I dont know about you but I much enjoy the meelee combat, traversal (simple but effective) and the puzzles in Uncharted games. Sooting is fun but honestly is not the main attraction for me. So no, maybe FOR YOU uncharted isnt much of a game without shooting but dont say it like its a fact

Melle combat in itself I don't really classify as anything special but I don't consider melee a big part of most shooters. You can not shoot a bullet in Uncharted to kill enimies in theory but it would be stupid and not the point considering there are guns littered everywhere and drake blatantly disarms and opponents just to use their weapons several times in the series. Traversal, nots not really gameplay. You can't actually mess up platforming that is automated. If you like how it sets the pacing thats cool but it barely qualifies as gameplay. Puzzles?:lol: This series has almost no puzzles at all. 1 does more so than 2 (though they suck and are the basic follow the pattern, turn in this directi/on) but man, I guess its because I actually love puzzle games and so I expectg puzzles to not suck to be considered gameplay and not pacing but hey w/e floats your boat I suppose. I stand by the fact that its not much of a game without the shooting, the set pieces basically no longer exist without it.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 4dr1el

Wait............people actually question whether or not Uncharted is a TPS? O.o? Dafuq?.. I swear SW is getting dumber by the day...Desmonic

But it isnt a TPS. At least not in the vein of a gears or Vanquish. You're also in third person and shoot most of the time in Red Dead Redemption. Do you call it a TPS or an action adventure?

btw TC fun fact: Uncharted 3 won best Action adventure game in most awards (GT for ex) while it wasnt even nominated on best TPS. I think professional reviewers know more then you

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]The thing is, if uncharted had swords instead of guns it would be considered an action adventure automatically. what people fail to understand is that all shooters are action adventure games. ActicEdge

No all shooters are action games. Action adventures require an adventure and non linear aspect as well as a reasonable amount of environmental and puzzle solving aspects too. Shooters and games like bayonetta and devil may cry are off shoots of action. Something like Zelda or luigi's mansion are more a kin to action adventure games.

This. Your logic, mrmusicman is that COD is an adventure game? Nothing the sorts, the whole time you are going in one general direction, you don't choose anything. Mario 64 could, perhaps, be classified as an Adventure Platformer because it features open levels in which you can EXPLORE vividly in your search for the power stars.Plus you have the castle itself where you are allowed to explore to your hearts content. You can return to any of these areas whenever you want. Zelda games are adventure games for the same reason. Puzzles are very common in adventure games but simply having puzzles doesn't mean its an adventure game. Assasins Creed is an adventure game. You could call Metal GEar solid an adventure game. I never played Uncharted so I can't judge that.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 4dr1el

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I dont know about you but I much enjoy the meelee combat, traversal (simple but effective) and the puzzles in Uncharted games. Sooting is fun but honestly is not the main attraction for me. So no, maybe FOR YOU uncharted isnt much of a game without shooting but dont say it like its a fact

Melle combat in itself I don't really classify as anything special but I don't consider melee a big part of most shooters. You can not shoot a bullet in Uncharted to kill enimies in theory but it would be stupid and not the point considering there are guns littered everywhere and drake blatantly disarms and opponents just to use their weapons several times in the series.

games... serious business

again, everything you said its YOUR OPINION, wich I respect but please, dont try passing it out like a fact. I like Uncharted traversal, meelee combat, puzzles, settings, story, dialogue, characters, etc etc, more then I like the shooting. For my shooting fix I rather play Vanquish wich is a real TPS