To the anti-Nintendo people on this board why do you dislike the big N??

• 94 results
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4231 Posts

This would be a great thread to unlock those thoughts I think.

My biggest would be no access or remasters to previous games.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

I dont dislike Nintendo I just find it highly overrated. For the amount of praise I hear from people about its 1st party nad that is where "good gameplay is" and how sony games are "sh*tty movie games with no gameplay" I think people overestimate Nintendo's gameplay quite a LOT.

Nintendo games have a peculiar charm to them, I'll giv'em that but I seriosuly cant comprehend how a game like BotW is praised for its gameplay while games like Ghost of Tsushima or GoW have way better combat than BotW. BotW combat is a poor man's souls combat and dont let me start talking about weapon durability wich is aweful. Now I like BotW, its world is well made and beautiful to be at, there is a certain "zen" feel to it that I really like but when it comes to gameplay, how can it be this praised? I'm talking about BotW here only because its definitely the most praised Nintendo game ever and I find it a perfect example to talk about how people blinded by Nintendo nostalgia (that yes, its a thing no matter how much you try to deny it) its fans, wich many are now reviewers for major gaming "journalism" outlets, severy inflate Nintendo scores

so, again, I dont hate Nintendo, I do quite enjoy some of their games, but weighting the amount of praise it gets by its fans and how everything else Sony does is sh*t in comparison I would expect them to be better then they actually are

Overrated developer imo.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

nintendo is great. People trash them for being so behind the times, heck it took them 15 years to bring proper online to their consoles, but I disagree. Being so behind the times is a GOOD thing. Otherwise, nintendo would be diving into the MTX scene, and milking loyal customers for $200 for a single digital car like sony is doing in gt7. Heck SE has even dived into NFTS. If this is the future of gaming, then I prefer nintendo being old fashion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@vatususreturns said:

I dont dislike Nintendo I just find it highly overrated. For the amount of praise I hear from people about its 1st party nad that is where "good gameplay is" and how sony games are "sh*tty movie games with no gameplay" I think people overestimate Nintendo's gameplay quite a LOT.

Nintendo games have a peculiar charm to them, I'll giv'em that but I seriosuly cant comprehend how a game like BotW is praised for its gameplay while games like Ghost of Tsushima or GoW have way better combat than BotW. BotW combat is a poor man's souls combat and dont let me start talking about weapon durability wich is aweful. Now I like BotW, its world is well made and beautiful to be at, there is a certain "zen" feel to it that I really like but when it comes to gameplay, how can it be this praised? I'm talking about BotW here only because its definitely the most praised Nintendo game ever and I find it a perfect example to talk about how people blinded by Nintendo nostalgia (that yes, its a thing no matter how much you try to deny it) its fans, wich many are now reviewers for major gaming "journalism" outlets, severy inflate Nintendo scores

so, again, I dont hate Nintendo, I do quite enjoy some of their games, but weighting the amount of praise it gets by its fans and how everything else Sony does is sh*t in comparison I would expect them to be better then they actually are

Overrated developer imo.

Dude, just admit you do. Don't tip toe around to avoid backlash.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VatususReturns
@nintendoboy16 said:
@vatususreturns said:

Overrated developer imo.

Hum, but I dont.

See? Its fanboys like you that make Nintendo look bad. I clearly stated I do enjoy some of N games but the fact I find them overrated and that I do believe Sony has a better 1st party offering unsurprisingly struck a nerve on you. You guys just cant accept someone else out there dont find Nintendo games to be the all and all of gaming. They're not

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By outworld222  Online

@vatususreturns: tbh IMV Sony was the best in the PS1. They had some awesome games like resident evil, resident evil 2, NBA Jam TE, clock tower games, Dino crisis, MGS, Silent Hill, etc.

But somewhere down the line they stopped caring man. That’s how I see it.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

I think the most recent Nintendo game I played was on the WiiU. It was the free one with Mario Chase, some Luigi's Mansion ghost hunt, and another where you run around gobbling candy. They were really fun for a couple weeks, and then we got bored.

The newest system of theirs that I own is an N64. They definitely still have a charm, but the kiddy look just doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean their games are bad, but I haven't had the draw to play them. Still, I'm curious about BotW. I've heard it's amazing, and I've heard the opposite; so I would like to see for myself.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 outworld222  Online

@blaznwiipspman1: exactly. It makes you think about the games after you’ve put the controller down. Good point.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Don't dislike them. They're still my favorite 1st party. They've made some of my favorite games every generation since they've been in the business. And the vast majority of those games are still games I can enjoy today, their core principles lead to many games that hold up better than most.

Buuuuut Nintendo does do some real annoying shit. Personally the only thing I like about Nintendo is their games. And even on that front it's like plz do more Nintendo, wtf.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Hi. My name is Hardwenzen, and i am a massive hater.

Family and friends are always asking me why. Why do i hate Nintendo so much. They're very successful afterall. The answe is simple: They don't offer games for adults. They are incapable of surpassing 2010 visuals (gow3) in 2022. They think its OK to have games running at 17fps.

Nintendo died with the GC. What we currently have is just an abomination that creates products for the non gamer. I am a gamer, i want quality, and one Zelda per 7 years is not what i'd call a good game support.

There's a reason why they haven't been able to create a system that you could consider as your primary for two decades now. Its really sad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Like most companies there's reasons to love them and reasons to hate them.

For Nintendo my biggest gripe is the lack of BC support in form of eShop VC catalog, lack of cross platform entitlements between systems in previous gens. Nothing new. Same goes for Sony in that regard, but unlike Nintendo they once had such a setup Nintendo never achieved with the PSP and PS3 and threw it away, so they have even less of an excuse. Nintendo seemed to have tried going between Wii and Wii U but also abandoned that. Both have resorted to trying subscription models to replace digital BC on their digital shops, rather than make their offerings available for purchase, instead of offer strong rights retention and entitlement bridging.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendoboy16

@vatususreturns said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Hum, but I dont.

See? Its fanboys like you that make Nintendo look bad. I clearly stated I do enjoy some of N games but the fact I find them overrated and that I do believe Sony has a better 1st party offering unsurprisingly struck a nerve on you. You guys just cant accept someone else out there dont find Nintendo games to be the all and all of gaming. They're not

Your posting history says otherwise. Ironically, I'm seeing more honesty in a later post in this thread.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23917 Posts

Nintendo is an interesting company. When you buy a Nintendo product you generally get excellent gaming at the expense of some head scratching executive decisions.

The apt thing to say is that I love the devs at Nintendo, but the suits are very dubious.

I would love to see them go third party though. So I could play their best games while not having to bother with their worst business decisions.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

@Maroxad said:

Nintendo is an interesting company. When you buy a Nintendo product you generally get excellent gaming at the expense of some head scratching executive decisions.

The apt thing to say is that I love the devs at Nintendo, but the suits are very dubious.

I would love to see them go third party though. So I could play their best games while not having to bother with their worst business decisions.

Except you still would. Just look at Activision (for now unless the deal with MS DOES fall apart with all the controversies), SEGA, Konami and EA. Multiplat, but some of the worst business decisions conducted. Besides that, might as well give them a loaded revolver magnum and call it Russian Roulette.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#15 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts

I'm just glad we're past the Wii stuff. It was like the dark ages of Nintendo, unless you we're like a parent with young children maybe?

The Switch has much broader appeal and therefore I stopped trashing Nintendo a long time ago.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

They've made one game I've liked since 2013 (three, if I give them credit for Samus Returns and Dread); their hardware sucks; their online sucks; and their BC sucks. It's not like I think Sony and Microsoft are that great, or even good, but Nintendo is the worst of the three post-Wii era.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

I hate their pricing mostly, their games don't really do much for me anymore either.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58317 Posts

I don't dislike, I'm just disinterested.

I see no reason to play anything other than PC. I've seen the games on Nintendo, I've played my friend's Switch. They are not compelling at all.

In the past I've enjoyed Nintendo but that was in the N64, SNES, and NES days.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 outworld222  Online

@mrbojangles25: I completely understand, my friend. I also play PC games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5252 Posts

I wonder why Nintendo is sometimes called the "Big N." It is not as if it is as large as a corporation as Microsoft or Sony and there are many corporations that start with an "N" that are larger than Nintendo.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 outworld222  Online

@onesiphorus: yeah…..I know they’re called the big N, but I don’t know why. Somebody should give a background as to why.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

I wouldn't say I dislike Nintendo, I just hate that they're not held to the same standard as Sony. They get away with things people mob after Sony for. It doesn't help that they live purely off nostalgia. Ironically, the only games I care about from them are Mario, DK, and probably Kirby /Yoshi.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I certainly don't hate Nintendo, but I think their pricing system is a little off...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Yeah, that's a good take. Great games, weird ass decision making.

@ConanTheStoner said:

Personally the only thing I like about Nintendo is their games. And even on that front it's like plz do more Nintendo, wtf.

Yup. Not a fan of how passive they get when they start selling. Why make a new game when you can still sell Mario Kart 8, right? I get it, but I hate it.

@hardwenzen said:

Nintendo died with the GC.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same. After GC, Nintendo no longer focused on big beautiful games, and instead started focusing on gimmicks with weak hardware. Their games were made for the gimmicks. Sometimes it worked and sold a lot to casuals (Wii) sometimes it didn't (Wii U). But either way, the fans of big beautiful games on good hardware-Nintendo were left in the dust.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

@Litchie: And sometimes it always works, like their handhelds. Their gimmicks are amazing, all gaming companies copy them.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Dislike🤣

Imagine having real emotional feelings (good or bad) towards any gaming machine.

Games,movies or books yea but a lump of plastic GTFO

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Litchie
@mesome713 said:

@Litchie: And sometimes it always works, like their handhelds. Their gimmicks are amazing, all gaming companies copy them.

Wouldn't say amazing, as they're hit or miss.

What isn't hit or miss is their actual games. Would be great for me if Nintendo focused on games instead of bullshit (like they did with the GameCube), but sadly they sell more with bullshit.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@outworld222: Don’t dislike N in any way….just don’t see the point in a console that can’t or doesn’t play the big AAA games, while relying on cartoonish games for sales. They obviously have their fans….I’m just not one.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mesome713

@Litchie: GameCube was a gimmick console too. Just look at the controller.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Litchie

@mesome713 said:

It looks different, that's about it. Every single genre of game I've played with it, it worked perfectly. Best controller ever made, imo.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VatususReturns

@nintendoboy16 said:
@vatususreturns said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Hum, but I dont.

Your posting history says otherwise. Ironically, I'm seeing more honesty in a later post in this thread.

Please explain, what history exactly?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mesome713

@Litchie: Yeah, if you like gimmick controllers. It added a Z button and a camera stuck. What a gimmick. And wireless controller too, Nintendo always with the gimmicks. And SUPER big A button???

Also it had tiny stupid disc. Which cost more. System was a straight gimmick.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@vatususreturns said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Well for one, I remember you were one of many trying to refute SMT V (still a Switch exclusive as of this writing, could change), a JRPG series that sells to a niche, selling decent when Atlus announced it was a million seller, which that series NEVER has until then.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Litchie

@mesome713 said:

@Litchie: Yeah, if you like gimmick controllers. It added a Z button and a camera stuck. What a gimmick. And wireless controller too, Nintendo always with the gimmicks. And SUPER big A button???

Also it had tiny stupid disc. Which cost more. System was a straight gimmick.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mesome713

@Litchie: It’s the reason no one bought it. It looked like a kids lunch box. It even had a handle, what a gimmick.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 onesiphorus

@Litchie said:
@mesome713 said:

It looks different, that's about it. Every single genre of game I've played with it, it worked perfectly. Best controller ever made, imo.

Interesting, ther GameCube controller is the controller of choice among Super Smash Bros. players. In fact, Nintendo has been selling it as an optional controller since Brawl.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

They just redo the same thing all the time. They’re behind the curve technology wise but try to pass it off as the next best thing when its just a lame gimmick.

My switch controllers stopped working after less then a year. Third party versions a fraction of the price work better.

They sell games over 5 years old free on other systems for like 40-80 bucks.

The nintendo online offers free old nes/snes games. Theres like 15 of them mostof which are crap. You can download the entire library for free in minutes on a pc.

To conclude gimmicky consoles, technology behind, no content just reboots and more reboots and overpriced games that are years old.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I still enjoy Nintendo games and i do believe that whenever their main studios release someting, is something to behold for years to come ... with that being said, their corporate side is at times on par with EA or Activision..

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Nintendo is arguably the greatest developer going. They’ve made many of the greatest games of all time and still continue to do so. However some of their business practices rub me the wrong way. Really wish they would sell their classic games instead of just putting them on a subscription service.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

I am generally a fan of nintendos games but i can certainly list a lot of frustrations like:

• Save backups are behind a paywall. This is actually a regression from older systems. the 3DS and (i think) wiiu allowed you to back up saves. There should, at the very least, be an option to backup saves to a microSD card in the switch. That's a bare minimum.
  • Clamping down on youtube. Yes, technically they are perfectly in their rights to take down soundtracks and such like from Youtube. But...why? they don't even sell the soundtracks. With a few exception, you can't even buy the game to listen to the soundtrack (dam expensive album mind :S). Where are Nintendo losing out by leaving them up? It's basically free advertising for their games.
  • Highly inconsistent with their use of the extras they put in their consoles. Unpopular opinion, i know, but i actually like that Nintendo do try new things with their controllers. I loved the wii: there i said it. But man do nintendo leave a lot on the table. In some ways they are very creative and, in others, incredibly rigid. The Wiiu was probably the worst offender with this. They had that second screen, very well integrated into the system overall (the fact its region locked is mad though), and they had no idea what to do with it. They didn't really try. maybe there is an old build of BOTW floating around internally with some interesting wiiu stuff before it was to be ported to the switch.
  • They are behind the tech curve. Yes I know why they are doing it and great tech doesn't necessarily mean a great game....but i would love to see a Xenoblade or Zelda or Pikmin that makes a high end PC sweat (and justifies it). Who wouldn't? I mean considering what nintendo manage to squeeze out of the switch and wiiu (Pikmin 3 is still fruit rendering graphics king). The economics just make that an impossibility though which is a shame :(.
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8223 Posts

Nintendo is awesome. Only time where I actively didn't like them was the Wii tho. I hated the Wii -motes. I hated the console. It was so hyped up and was a shovelware machine.

However Ive loved their other consoles and especially the handhelds. I pretty much have had a Nintendo handheld from every gen since the GB pocket. Nintendo 1st party has always been gameplay > graphics and I just have a lot of fun with their games. They are chill. I've been playing tropical freeze this weekend... I have a great PC , series X, and yeah I'm going to chill on the couch and play tropical freeze on the couch in handheld. That's where I'm at with it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Don't dislike them. They're still my favorite 1st party. They've made some of my favorite games every generation since they've been in the business. And the vast majority of those games are still games I can enjoy today, their core principles lead to many games that hold up better than most.

Buuuuut Nintendo does do some real annoying shit. Personally the only thing I like about Nintendo is their games. And even on that front it's like plz do more Nintendo, wtf.

I agree.

On a side note what ever happened to that thumb dude el tormentos?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Times are hard bro, he traded in his thumbs for a PS5.

Think he still pops up now and again. Dude kept swearing I was a lem last time we spoke, the dumbest shit. 😂

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@cainetao11 said:

Times are hard bro, he traded in his thumbs for a PS5.

Think he still pops up now and again. Dude kept swearing I was a lem last time we spoke, the dumbest shit. 😂

LOL I miss him. He used to crack me up

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VatususReturns

@nintendoboy16 said:
@vatususreturns said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Well for one, I remember you were one of many trying to refute SMT V (still a Switch exclusive as of this writing, could change), a JRPG series that sells to a niche, selling decent when Atlus announced it was a million seller, which that series NEVER has until then.

First and foremost I was comparing the fact Nintendo fanboys were hyping 1 million copies sold while downplaying Sony NEW IPs for selling 5 to 6 million. I wasnt downplaying the 1 million SMTV sold, but rather stating the hypocrisy on your side.

All in all, that is hardly "hating" on Nintendo. What more do you have?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 onesiphorus

I really do not understand why I have to be a Nintendo Online member to back up saves. Is Nintendo concerned that save files be used for cheating or some illegal activity?

@osan0 said:

Save backups are behind a paywall. This is actually a regression from older systems. the 3DS and (i think) wiiu allowed you to back up saves. There should, at the very least, be an option to backup saves to a microSD card in the switch. That's a bare minimum.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Because PC gamers have to do it illegally by emulating it and are anti-console.

Nintendo will forever be exclusive to consoles only.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nintendoboy16

@omegamaster said:

Because PC gamers have to do it illegally by emulating it and are anti-console.

Nintendo will forever be exclusive to consoles only.

Depends on how that's done...but yeah, Nintendo is never adapting to PC, or anything else... EVER! I don't see that crowd liking Splatoon, Pikmin or Wars the same way their fans on their hardware do.