TLOU Remastered Review Thread: 8/10 Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

IGN: 10/10

In 2013, I called The Last of Us on PlayStation 3 a masterpiece. The same holds true of its PlayStation 4 "Remastered" sibling. You can’t go wrong with either version, but with Remastered you’ll get a better framerate that smooths out gunplay, a prettier, sharper look, and a bunch of DLC content rolled into the package from the get-go (not to mention a whole fresh set of Trophies to earn again, if you have a whole lot of time on your hands).

Whether you’ve already experienced it on PlayStation 3 or have no idea what you’re missing, The Last of Us: Remastered is worth your time and attention. PlayStation 3’s best game just became PlayStation 4’s, too.

Videogamer: 10/10

All told, The Last of Us Remastered is the best version of one of the last generation's best games. Those expecting it to look totally 'next-gen' may be disappointed, as even at its peak it resembles a last-generation game being played at Ultra settings on PC. Still, it's obvious a lot of work and care has gone into this, and it will please both newcomers and old fans alike.

Game Informer: 10/10

All the graphical improvements are wonderful, but you may be wondering if The Last of Us Remastered is for you. Like the best visual updates, Remastered plays like you remember it. If you played 2013's Game of the Year near release and have been dying to return to the dark tale, then this is a great opportunity. If you never played The Last of Us at all, this is absolutely the way to do it. But be careful - you'll never want to go back to the PS3 original again after reveling in all the improvements.

Metro: 9/10

But you can’t criticise a game for getting everything right the first time round, and everything The Last Of Us attempts it succeeds at almost perfectly, using its advanced technology not just for spectacle but to improve the gameplay and storytelling beyond previously attainable levels. Playing the Remastered version is like moving from a DVD copy of your favourite film to a Blu-ray: a small change by most standards, but still a desirable one.

Crave Online: 8.5/10

More than anything, The Last of Us Remastered is made specifically for the people who missed out on The Last of Us the first time around. This is the definitive version of last year’s Game of the Year, but not necessarily the kind of package that is a must-have for those who already made the captivating trip from start to finish. As much as I loved my PS3 playthrough, what’s here is a bit too familiar to make it as big of a deal as I was hoping for.

Nonetheless, The Last of Us is one of the greatest games of the last decade. That’s reason alone to make this a great addition to the PS4 library.

Gamespot: 8/10

Naughty Dog's acclaimed action game has made its way to the PlayStation 4 as The Last of Us Remastered, and if you've played the game on the PlayStation 3, you'll probably notice that it runs at a higher frame rate and that the lighting is richer and moodier in this release. In side-by-side comparisons, it also becomes apparent that the textures are sharper and the draw distance has been increased. But the reality is that the game already looked so good on the PlayStation 3 that the visual enhancements can't do all that much to improve your experience. The Last of Us Remastered is still The Last of Us, and that is no bad thing. It's one of the best adventures of the last console generation, and it's fully deserving of the special-edition treatment it gets here.

Polygon: 8/10

I might not adore The Last of Us as much as the crowd that Remastered is clearly targeting, but I can't help but appreciate the enthusiasm that has gone into this edition. It reminds me of a great Director's Cut DVD of a beloved movie — a collection of everything a fan could want and a celebration of it at the same time. It's another sign that Naughty Dog understands and respects its fan base, and if nothing else, that's worth supporting.

Personally, that's good enough for me. As someone who never played the original past the first fifty minutes, this is the version I will pick up so I can finally experience the game for myself =)

I'll post more as I find them.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Heh, that's humorous.

PlayStation 3’s best game just became PlayStation 4’s, too.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Heh, that's humorous.

PlayStation 3’s best game just became PlayStation 4’s, too.

That is exactly what I was going to post

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Still got a 8 on here.Not surprised by IGN's review score.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@Desmonic said:

GS review is up brah

8/10. Again.

inb4 massive cow rage!

That's funny.

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

This was the time for GS to redeem themselves.

They are still idiots.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Of course, Gamespot's idiocy is singularly defined by their review for one game.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Improved graphics does not warrant for a better score... Why do you even bother with GameSpot if you don't agree with their reviews. IGN is cowlandia if you wish to partake in their grazing.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Some credit to GS for sticking with their score.

Game is at least a 9 though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Of course, Gamespot's idiocy is singularly defined by their review for one game.

Well, to be fair they have messed up plenty of scores before and will likely continue to do so :P But yeah, cows still want blood for that original 8.0 hehe

I don't think they mess up anything. They state their reviews that I may or may not agree with, but opinions by definition can't be wrong, and hence, not messed up.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol its still a flop even on next gen consoles. poor sony

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Another 8.lol at gamespot because of their ridiculous persistence in their wrongful judgement.It seems like they'll never have the guts to face the fact that they mistreated the game last year.

Even this time the new reviewer hasn't highlighted any weak points in the game (MacShea had at least made a few stupid statements to this effect) but still rated it 8 again.They just don't have the guts to accept their mistake.Carolyn virtually hasn't mentioned any weakness in the game , but preferred to stick with Tom's 8.How lol'able.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#16 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

What scores do people expect from an upgrade of a game that got 10/10s. A score in this case is almost pointless.

All they need to do is post if it actually works, then comment on the graphics upgrade, then link to the ps3 review. Re scoring a remastered edition just encourages the nimwits that keep putting them out as though they were a new game worthy of a complete relook.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@elkoldo said:

Another 8.lol at gamespot because of their ridiculous persistence in their wrongful judgement.It seems like they'll never have the guts to face the fact that they mistreated the game last year.

Even this time the new reviewer hasn't highlighted any weak points in the game (MacShea had at least made a few stupid statements in this effect) yet rated it 8 again.They just don't have the guts to accept their mistake.

Or, maybe, you know, they just don't think it's worth more than an 8.

Is that so high for some of you to understand?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

So all these cows made all these TLoU threads and yapped about the game having all these improvements just so it could flop again, lol hilarious and embarrassing. Hiding and meltdown incoming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Well, to be fair they have messed up plenty of scores before and will likely continue to do so :P But yeah, cows still want blood for that original 8.0 hehe

I don't think they mess up anything. They state their reviews that I may or may not agree with, but opinions by definition can't be wrong, and hence, not messed up.

Nope. If your opinion is based on incorrect information, then your opinion is wrong by default :P Example: Not believing the damn moon exists because the Bible doesn't mention it. Alas, not the point.

They can, when they write X and don't give the corresponding X number from the scale, picking Y or fucking Σ instead. >.>

I... don't understand what the non spoilered part is supposed to be saying o_O

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

great score. And lol at lems trying to claim ownage, y'all mofos are still in dead LAST place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Here come more overreaction tears from the playstation fans that even the cows won't associate with, and sad, sad lems trying to claim ownage over this. I'mma just grabbing my popcorn.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By elkoldo
@charizard1605 said:

@elkoldo said:

Even this time the new reviewer hasn't highlighted any weak points in the game (MacShea had at least made a few stupid statements in this effect) yet rated it 8 again.They just don't have the guts to accept their mistake.

Or, maybe, you know, they just don't think it's worth more than an 8.

Is that so high for some of you to understand?

Brother , you don't need to get panic and insult me.I know you work for GS and hence feel the urge to defend them ,but see how sensible it sounds.Tommy had stated at least a few (irrational)weak points in the game ,and therefore his rating was justifiable , but Carolyn hasn't almost mentioned any weaknesses in the game and still rated it 8 !

After you stand down as a GS moderator , when you no longer feel the urge to defend GS , like many other ex-mods I know ,you will understand how ridiculous and cowardly Carolyn was.GS still thinks the game's not worth more than 8 while the rest of the world rate it 95 on average and you think I have an understanding problem.

Anyway if all of the GS staff happen to think the game's not worth more than 8 ,especially even when they plaintively fail to find a weak point or two to justify their rating ,it sounds like a re-run of a secret version of the Kayne and Lynch Dead Men scenario to me.You know I get very pessimist at times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@elkoldo said:

Brother , you don't need to get panic and insult me.I know you work for GS and hence feel the urge to defend them ,but see how sensible it sounds.Tommy had stated at least a few (irrational)weak points in the game ,and therefore his rating was justifiable , but Carolyn hasn't almost mentioned any weaknesses in the game and still rated it 8 !

After you stand down as a GS moderator , when you no longer feel the urge to defend GS , like many other ex-mods I know ,you will understand how ridiculous and coward Carolyn was.GS still thinks the game's not worth more than 8 while the rest of the world rate it 95 on average and you think I have an understanding problem.

I work for GS? lolwat. Do you understand how the moderation team works? It's a group of regular forum posters who are unpaid volunteers. That's it.

As for this review. You can have a game with no real flaws, and still feel it is not exceptional enough to warrant a 9 or a 10. You don't start at 10 and then deduct points for each flaw, you give it an overall score assessed holisitcally after a thorough evaluation of how you feel about the game. That is logic, not... if it doesn't have flaws, it has to be a 10.

Tom and Carolyn rated the game an 8 because they felt it did things well enough to warrant an 8, but not great enough to warrant a 9. That's their opinion- you and I can disagree with it, but that does not invalidate their opinion.

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605:

Oh, sorry. Something like this: Having the written review full of praises, not pointing out any glaring fault or pointing out minor/small flaws which don't affect the core experience and putting the score of a 7 or an 8, when one expects a 9 or better from the text. A game that scores below a 9 is expected (in theory) to have some flaws (even if just in the opinion of the reviewer) in order to explain the respective score.

That's happened a few times here (not the case with TLOU). That's kinda messed up. At least from my perspective it is. Match the score with the actual review, otherwise they just feel like two random things put together.

Not that I want them to go the 10GN path either.... >.>

See: above.

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 290 Posts

Look at all these lemz coming out of their holes trying to claim ownage. But this gon' be good

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By elkoldo
@charizard1605 said:

@elkoldo said:

After you stand down as a GS moderator , when you no longer feel the urge to defend GS , like many other ex-mods I know ,you will understand how ridiculous and coward Carolyn was.GS still thinks the game's not worth more than 8 while the rest of the world rate it 95 on average and you think I have an understanding problem.

I work for GS? lolwat. Do you understand how the moderation team works? It's a group of regular forum posters who are unpaid volunteers. That's it.

As for this review. You can have a game with no real flaws, and still feel it is not exceptional enough to warrant a 9 or a 10. You don't start at 10 and then deduct points for each flaw, you give it an overall score assessed holisitcally after a thorough evaluation of how you feel about the game. That is logic, not... if it doesn't have flaws, it has to be a 10.

Tom and Carolyn rated the game an 8 because they felt it did things well enough to warrant an 8, but not great enough to warrant a 9. That's their opinion- you and I can disagree with it, but that does not invalidate their opinion.

I don't tend to continue this conversation , my bottom line : You fail to find a weakness in a game and yet rate it low (while the rest of the world rate it super high)because you feel it's not good , and this is logic ?

I hope you have at least convinced yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@elkoldo said:
@charizard1605 said:

@elkoldo said:

I don't tend to continue this conversation , my bottom line : You fail to find a weakness in a game and yet rate it low (while the rest of the world rate it super high)because you feel it's not good , and this is logic ?

I hope you haveat least convinced yourself.

Yes? That's what reviews are? Opinions? They are about what you feel, there is no objective 10 point scale for games.

But hey, if you're so keen on reading a fully objective review for games instead of one full of personal opinions, Jim Sterling is the man for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@elkoldo: Yeah, that's all he mentioned in that novel when he first responded. he rates shit low for shits and giggles.

A game can function perfectly, doing exactly what it wants to do, and still not be something magical that shits rainbows to all who witness it. This isn't a hard thing to grasp if you have higher brain function.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FastRobby said:

@Desmonic said:

Oh snap, Polygon corrected their lol-worthy 7.5!! :O

That was just one reviewer, when the whole staff could decide which was goty, I think TLOU won... Some people like it a lot, apparently one reviewer thought it was "OK"

That same reviewer updated the score to 8.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I wonder if Tom would of still gave it an 8.0 again if he had reviewed it?

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

IGN again 10/10??

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 elkoldo

Just read back the whole thread.lol at those who try to offend and degrade others just to prove their point.This method is outdated.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

It would be unlogical if you gave PS3 version 10 out of 10 and then suddenly PS4 version 8 out of 10.

Well, all PS3 and PS4 scores will be same.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

and here we have it gamespot stays the joke of this industrie!

but ofcourse they would look even more stupid if they scored this version higher

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

console review padding

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

So is it considered a flop?

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

but ofcourse they would look even more stupid if they scored this version higher

It would be interesting to see what score they give to GTA V.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Promised_Trini said:

Any IGN review of a Sony exclusive by either Moriarty or Greg Miller should be immediately ignored. They're both horrible fanboys that lap up the cinematic gaming bullshit--Miller is also a terrible writer.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@Promised_Trini said:

Any IGN review of a Sony exclusive by either Moriarty or Greg Miller should be immediately ignored. They're both horrible fanboys that lap up the cinematic gaming bullshit--Miller is also a terrible writer.

So true. they dont have enough experience in gaming so they proclaim cinematic games are best thing ever happened.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

what is with the dumb logic that a game with no flaws automatically deserves a AAA rating? it doesn't, a Game can Have 0 flaws but still not warrant a 9/ AAA rating, if GS decided that TLOU only deserved an 8 then suck it up cup cakes, people get too upset on here over review scores, if you like the game than more power to you but don't cry like a Baby just because other people don't share the same opinion as you.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

why whine like a little baby because someone doesn't share your opinion on something?

The one thing that has always been constant on this Board is SONY fanboys lack of respect for the Fact that people have different opinions.

Every time GS issues a score that they don't like they whine till the cows come home.

Heaven Forbid someone Score a PS exclusive less than a AAAE.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@delta3074: you sound like i care about GS score and 1 reviewer LOL, i care about that some in this industrie are not able to do what they should do, a game that has multiple awards, GOTY and what not can never score a 8. FACT!

thank god only 0,5% care about gamespot

95 on metacritic that's all that matters

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Aaah, memories..