TLOU Remastered Review Thread: 8/10 Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

if they give the first one an 8, GS will be stupid if they give the second one a 9.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Time to move on, System Warriors.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@Zen_Light said:

Time to move on, System Warriors.

/seconded

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#54 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

lol "PS3's best game" my ass. Demon's Souls, Journey, Uncharted 2, take your pick, they are all better.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

PS4 is going to be epic.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Good scores for a good game, glad the scores didn't change about much.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

People still care about GS review scores? specially when it's from Carolyn and Tom?

System Wars is at a all time low

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@vitonemesis said:

This was the time for GS to redeem themselves.

They are still idiots.

Of course, Gamespot's idiocy is singularly defined by their review for one game.

Well, to be fair they have messed up plenty of scores before and will likely continue to do so :P But yeah, cows still want blood for that original 8.0 hehe

I don't think they mess up anything. They state their reviews that I may or may not agree with, but opinions by definition can't be wrong, and hence, not messed up.

They do occasionally manage to think that Oblivion has a good story or that Joel is a shady fellow for working late ;)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

Who cares about the GS score. Sony and Naughty Dog took this game to the bank and are going to do it again with this version.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I played the game on PS3 for a couple hours and just couldn't get into it at all. Wasn't my cup of tea. It certainly looked nice, and it wasn't a bad game at all, but just not for me.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

I played the game on PS3 for a couple hours and just couldn't get into it at all. Wasn't my cup of tea. It certainly looked nice, and it wasn't a bad game at all, but just not for me.

Did you play it alone or with a frind?

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@alcapello said:

@yokofox33 said:

I played it with a friend and we both felt like this poster, still managed to trudge along till we finished it though. Just meant we both could laugh our asses off at the terribad AI.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Meh, the game was too boring for me, so I sold it on Ebay...

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

It's good to know system

system wars hasn't changed lol.

On topic though, I think at this point it's been agreed that this game is critic proof. Obviously it isn't perfect, but it does so much so well that it's impossible to deny how great it is

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

The game doesn't need high scores from reviewers, people bitching about the fact that it got an 8 yet again need to move on, the game is cemented in history as one of the best games, winning award after award and GOTY after GOTY, as well as being a beautiful game, if one reviewer gave it an 8 who cares, let them, the game speaks for itself with awards, technical awards, GOTY awards and more. There's no point in arguing it.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
@alcapello said:

@yokofox33 said:

Alone, but I doubt having a friend play with me would have altered the core game experience that I just didn't really enjoy. I'm actually not a big Naughty Dog fan either. I don't really care for the Uncharted series honestly, although the 2nd one was really good.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

After the abysmal crap that was Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog really redeemed themselves with The Last of Us. The game is the best of its kind IMHO. It might just be the only story focused game that works on pretty much every level as a whole. Having said that, I'm not the biggest fan of these kinds of games, but I can recognize an exceptional job when I see one. The Last of Us is exceptionally well made where Uncharted 2 was a "what the F were they thinking?!!".

It's one of the biggest developer turn arounds I've witnessed. TLOU perfectly melds story, emotion and setting with some very interesting gameplay. Uncharted was weak in all those areas and there was a huge disconnect between them all.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The legacy of the McShea flop lives on.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

A second bite at the apple and once again, floptastic eh. :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Of course, Gamespot's idiocy is singularly defined by their review for one game.

nah more like the many joke reviews. But then again who still cares about gamespot reviews?

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Dead Space 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Resistance 3, Modern Warfare 3, FF13, Crysis 2, Prototype are all better games than Last of Us. Those are gamespot reviews. Like review said, Last of Us story is meh.

Americans gamers also voted Call of Duty: Black Ops the best video game ending of all time. (BY AMERICAN GAMERS).

So... When gamespot says so, then this is so.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

After the abysmal crap that was Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog really redeemed themselves with The Last of Us. The game is the best of its kind IMHO. It might just be the only story focused game that works on pretty much every level as a whole. Having said that, I'm not the biggest fan of these kinds of games, but I can recognize an exceptional job when I see one. The Last of Us is exceptionally well made where Uncharted 2 was a "what the F were they thinking?!!".

It's one of the biggest developer turn arounds I've witnessed. TLOU perfectly melds story, emotion and setting with some very interesting gameplay. Uncharted was weak in all those areas and there was a huge disconnect between them all.

Only you see it as a developer 'turn around'. People say UC2 is among the best efforts from ND. You know, the general consensus. It's your opinion though I guess.

Yeah I know and it just boggles my mind. I just see Uncharted 2 as an astounding number of bad design choices that when laid out before anybody, should result in that person be completely repulsed. There are a lot of games I hate, but I can usually understand why a certain type of person enjoys it. With Uncharted 2, it's just a complete mystery to me.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

Giving an 8 to TLOU then making it GOTY on PS3 is one of the biggest stupid moves Gamespot could have ever made,GOTY ware based on score quality a 9 vs 9 ok a 9 vs 9.2 maybe but an 8 game winning goty when you have 4 or 5 games on PS3 with 9 as well than same year 3 of them been exclusive is a joke.

OT.

TLOU on PS4 is a remake so i would not expect anything better than it got already.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

"But the reality is that the game already looked so good on the PlayStation 3 that the visual enhancements can't do all that much to improve your experience."

Right...so the PS4 with all its powah cant improve on a last gen game.

It also cant lock 60fps lol

dat power lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I will rent it.... as I expected from the beginning. a game that focuses purely on presentation and delivers mediocre gameplay... in my mind should never score more than an 8 no matter how well presented it is. I have other forms of media that can tell and present stories in a far better way.... yet none of those can replucate fantastic gaming experiences.... which is something TLOU does not do.... the bottom line.

Worth one play through.... perhaps alittle time in the mediocre multiplayer... then on the shelf or trade in. 10/10s .... such a ridiculous concept. and not reflective of the industry as a whole.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@bldgirsh said:

Heh, that's humorous.

PlayStation 3’s best game just became PlayStation 4’s, too.

That is exactly what I was going to post

Really? Your guys should realize that by default it also means it just became a better game than anything on Xbox One as well. But you guys aren't too bright though, that's the funny part.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 tormentos
@freedomfreak said:

Aaah, memories..

Considering how gamespot owned them self naming it Goty i say my post was more than right..hahaha

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By tormentos

@Evo_nine said:

"But the reality is that the game already looked so good on the PlayStation 3 that the visual enhancements can't do all that much to improve your experience."

Right...so the PS4 with all its powah cant improve on a last gen game.

It also cant lock 60fps lol

dat power lol

You never understand that lemming,on xbox one it would be 720p with unlocked frames..hahahahaa

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#85 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Still a flop.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#86 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Well, it is basically the same game. 8 isn't a bad score, so I don't see an issue.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@tormentos: Wasn't it Zelda that was named GOTY?

Edit: You mean just on the PS3? I thought you meant they said it was the GOTY and not just on one platform.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#88  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

only an 8? i expected more from Sonys best exclusive tbh

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#89 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I might pick it up. Currently in a post Dark Souls 2 phase so I need a great game after to play. This works

@Pikminmaniac: If you seriously think all that about Uncharted 2, that is legitimately some of the most stupid shit I've ever seen written on GameSpot. Even SNIPER barely reached that level of stupidity.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

There was just too much TLOU jelly last gen, that it's spilt over into gen 8.

Thank you Naughty Gods.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#92 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@vitonemesis said:

They are still idiots.

You don't think the game deserves a great score?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I still don't get why the game deserves a 10 out of 10. It's a good game, nice story but nothing special (also, zombie apocalyps), great character development, specially Ellie IMHO.

But the gameplay is nothing special. Uncharted had crazy set pieces meant for an epic, India Jones like adventure. In TLOU, th focus on stealth made the game worse and more repetative overall. And those "puzzles" where a massive joke. Far, far more than Tomb Raider.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

I still don't get why the game deserves a 10 out of 10. It's a good game, nice story but nothing special (also, zombie apocalyps), great character development, specially Ellie IMHO.

But the gameplay is nothing special. Uncharted had crazy set pieces meant for an epic, India Jones like adventure. In TLOU, th focus on stealth made the game worse and more repetative overall. And those "puzzles" where a massive joke. Far, far more than Tomb Raider.

most casual console gamers are looking for movie like experiences over gameplay... I think this is apparent if you spend any time here...

Then they have the nerve to call hardcore CoD/BF players ect "casual bro gamerS" ... even though they are playing games for their gameplay/competitive nature....

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Desmonic said:

GS review is up brah

8/10. Again.

inb4 massive cow rage!

That's not a bad score. Its a great game, but just remastered with new graphics. They did touch-ups and things of that nature, but not a full overhaul of the while game ala Halo 2 in the Halo: MMC set. Still, TLOU is a great game. Good score.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

c(ows)hbo...AGAIN :D

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@Blabadon said:

I might pick it up. Currently in a post Dark Souls 2 phase so I need a great game after to play. This works

@Pikminmaniac: If you seriously think all that about Uncharted 2, that is legitimately some of the most stupid shit I've ever seen written on GameSpot. Even SNIPER barely reached that level of stupidity.

I honestly think it. Nobody's been able to make a case for the game that makes up for all that i see wrong with it.

TPS sections: the enemies are bullet sponges so you have to focus fire on a single opponent in order to down him which drags out the lengthy fire fights to a slog. There is almost no enemy variety to boot and the weapons and ways you can deal with them are equally uninteresting.

platforming sections: what platforming sections? The game has an annoying amount of on rails climbing portions that are no different than fast forwarding or rewinding a prerecorded tape. This constitutes dull and mind numbingly pointless gameplay and guess what? these genius developers thought it would be cool that every one of these portions be dragged out even longer by making absolutely every little thing cinematically break under Nathan's weight.

Pointless gameplay sections: Uncharted 2 is riddled with portions that are worse than merely spectating cutscenes. In most cases you can skip a cutscene, but Uncharted 2 forces you to play through gameplay dead scenarios like the opening sequence where Nathan has to limp through snow after an on rails climbing portion. How about the museum heist where you listen to your friend to do exactly what he tells you to do. God forbid you think for once. How about the ice cave where you are forced to follow a man named tenzen because it's fun to watch somebody play the game one second before you do. What about the chapter called "foreign town" in which you just walk through a town until you trigger a cutscene (that's it)? Even when there's a half interesting puzzle like the one where you reflect light, you have an AI controlled character that plays half of it for you.

Story: It started off somewhat interesting with ties into Marko Polo's travels but devolves into a simple race against an evil military army for magic power juice. It loses it's intrigue and cleverness reminiscent of a good Indiana Jones really quickly. I will admit the characters are enjoyable although very cliche.

The disconnect between scenario and gameplay: This is something almost every story driven game is guilty of. In Uncharted, the premise is that of an explorer akin to Indian Jones and you go globe trotting for a fascinating hidden treasure. So why is it a TPS? Most protagonists in these types of stories avoid confrontation and focus on exploring and solving puzzles. Uncharted gives you no exploration or adventuring. Instead the game tells you you're on an adventure and you play the parts where you murder armies of men. The Last of Us got it right. The gameplay, setting, and story fit perfectly together into one enjoyable experience. there was no jarring disconnect.

Do I not have legitimate reasons to find this game terrible? Why is it any good?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#99  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Yeah if the game scored any lower that'd be a bit much.

I mean how do you score the exact same game lower?

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Another 8.lol at gamespot because of their ridiculous persistence in their wrongful judgement.It seems like they'll never have the guts to face the fact that they mistreated the game last year.

Even this time the new reviewer hasn't highlighted any weak points in the game (MacShea had at least made a few stupid statements to this effect) but still rated it 8 again.They just don't have the guts to accept their mistake.Carolyn virtually hasn't mentioned any weakness in the game , but preferred to stick with Tom's 8.How lol'able.

1.) Opinions can't be wrong.

2.) LOL what? Mistreated? This isn't a child. It's just videogames and opinions.