The "playing consoles is more comfortable than pc" is a flawed argumen

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#102 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

The Effects of Computer Use on Eye Health and Vision American

From a Government and University study.

I'm not saying PC gaming is bad, but there are some halth risks associated with it. But Hermits are going to deny this and take it like I insulted their mothers because that's what their PC's are for them. They are the most overly sensitive group on here.

jun_aka_pekto

I would say I am a victim since my eyesight did go bad enough to require corrective lenses. The problem is, my eyes already started to go bad before I ever owned a computer. Most of my gaming back then was on the arcades, Atari VGS/2600, and Intellivision. By the time I touched a computer, the damage was already done.

people dont realize that the lost of eyesight is genetic...seriously its not affected by using a computer and such, its the same as the people who say that shaving makes your beard grow faster next time or that playing basketball makes you taller...they are idiots because they relate an effect with a completly different cause.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.locopatho

As i said before its subjective, my very comfy computer chair is just as comfortable as my couch and i play both from my computer chair the majority of the time.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can play a PC from a couch, since a couch isn't the only comfortable form of seating.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.Snugenz

As i said before its subjective, my very comfy computer chair is just as comfortable as my couch and i play both from my computer chair the majority of the time.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you can play a PC from a couch, since a couch isn't the only comfortable form of seating.

You can play PC from chair. You can play console from chair or lying down on a couch or in bed. Consoles clearly win there...
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.locopatho

You can play PC from chair. You can play console from chair or lying down on a couch or in bed. Consoles clearly win there...

Ok... You're not getting it.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#106 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.locopatho

To add another perspective, I recall as a child that I could play consoles comfortably for hours just sitting on the damn floor. I can't imagine doing the same with a keyboard and mouse. Surely it would be awkward cos you've when trying to get your hands to reach the floor to type without hunching over forwards...not leaning forward, but hunching forward.... Come to think of it how the hell would anyone (ergonomically speaking, not just comfort) play games on the PC using a mouse and keyboard in that situation? I know some people are more flexible that others, but many people can't reach their toes comfortably from a sitting on the floor position let alone hold that position for several hours... I do sometimes set my PC up at my TV downstairs and find that when I use the keyboard I have to look away from the TV because reaching down to touch the keyboard and keep an eye on the screen is like doing a stretching exercise. Obviously no one would ever use this position to realistically play PC games (I only use it to set up games that I can then play with a controller). It does show that you can play almost anywhere with consoles (playing on consoles is really not that different ergonomically from playing a handheld tbh).
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

The problem is that some people make it look as if couches are the most comfortable things by default and PC chairs are uncomfortable by default. When the truth is that just some couches and chairs are really comfortable. Also it's ridiculous to argue about a very open system like a PC and try to limit it to a chair.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Articuno76
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.

You know that is very much true. Even when PC games support controllers you often get a living room unfriendly tiny GUI that hampers the experience (being able to view the game interface easily is part of comfort). Heck, even playing console ports in 720 on PC doesn't help recitfy this problem because most console games seem to have high-res (but large) menus even when the in-game textures are low res. If I scale the res up on the pc version the GUI gets too small. If I scale it down the GUI gets larger but not as well defined as it would have been on the console version....gah. As you said though, this is still 'in theory'. It isn't at the point yet where I can just pick up a port and be sure that it will be offering the same (if not enhanced) comfort of a console game. I would love it if PC games could be played exactly like their console counterparts with all the benefits of a PC. Naturally I understand why this can't be the case for PC exclusives but Games for Windows does help bridge that gap a bit as does the inclusion of gui scaling options in some games.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Articuno76

The problem is that some people make it look as if couches are the most comfortable things by default and PC chairs are uncomfortable by default. When the truth is that just some couches and chairs are really comfortable. Also it's ridiculous to argue about a very open system like a PC and try to limit it to a chair.

glez13
I'd agree that it doesn't make sense to assume PC = Chair. But if we are using mice and keyboards we need somewhere to put them. In my case I have a very soft couch so using a mouse in it's surface doesn't work that well and using a mouse pad doesn't either because it depresses awkwardly between my weight and the spongey nature of the couch. I could put the two implements on a coffee table but that entails me sitting either at the edge of the couch or leaning forward to get to the height of the coffee table...now I suppose I could just buy another table or put something under it to change it's height and then prop my back up with some pillows but then this is something I am going to have to do every time I want to play games (the arrangement of my house is not geared around supporting playing my pc). With a controller I don't have to alter my lifestyle, or change my layout. Nothing. I pick up the controller, sit absolutely anywhere (at the very least most houses have their living room focused around the tv even if they don't have them focused around a surface for resting a keyboard and mouse) in any position without changing a thing. It's easy and effortless and for me at least, much more comfortable than playing in the position my set up requires of me to use a mouse and keyboard (chained to my desk). For those people who play PC games frequently, they most likely have a set-up that let's them play comfortably. For most ordinary people though, they have the standard TV set-up focus around their living room, adding a game console into the mix here is easy. Put it under the TV. And just play where you would normally sit. If it is comfy enough to watch tv for hours on end (which you do relaxed) then surely it is for playing videogames. If I had PC set-up that made this thing kinda easy then it would be fine, but working a PC into your living room is difficult not least because of the amount of hardware you are bringing in vs a console and the sheer size of the tower (and the logistics of fitting it into a living room...not something everyone can do).
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Articuno76

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Snugenz

Ok... You're not getting it.

No I think he gets it. I mean where are your mouse and keyboard when you are using them? You need something to rest them on. I can buy that you can use your keyboard on your lap, but what about the mouse? You can't possible have a place on a chair to reliably rest that (and at a height and angle that is as easy to access as if you were behind a desk). You can't use them lying down either that's for sure...and that is in and of itself a comfort restriction. Comfort is more than just 'feeling comfortable' it's also about not having to be restricted and being able to take comfort in that. I may not for instance shift around in my seat over the next 3 hours. There is comfort however in knowing that I can and absolutely no change is required either in the way I am holding anything or where anything is placed. If I were to do the same with a keyboard and mouse..well I'd have to shift things around a bit.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

console > laptop > desktop.

/thread.

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#112 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

nope.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
GTFO...just accept that gamers prefer consoles TOO! Gsus sick of these threads.
Avatar image for Stalkerfieldsis
Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Stalkerfieldsis
Member since 2011 • 659 Posts

GTFO...just accept that gamers prefer consoles TOO! Gsus sick of these threads. soapandbubbles

Well I'm sick of the PC bashing threads, the ammount of false information is infuriating!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Couch and controller are more comfy then chair and mouse/keyboard. I know you can play PC from couch with controller *IN THEORY*, but most PC games aren't designed for that type of play and are inferior/impossible to play. Civ 4 springs to mind.locopatho

But what about games that aren' RTS and MMOs? Obviously if you play games that can actually operate well with a controller, I find it strange that you bring up a type of genre that is barely on consoles and barely played as a defense, if people treat their PC like a console games wise then theyll find plenty of games with controller support.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

And that is a fact.

first of all: PC chairs arent bad to sit on, they arent uncomfortable for your ass unless its a chair from the 80s or something like that, and barely anyone ever sits laying back on a couch/chair. most people sit and bend forward so that their backs are not laying against the back of the chair/couch. while in this bent position, you rest your arms/elbows in the desktop, which is good because that way your spine doesnt need to support the whole weight of your body like it does in a couch. you are distributing weight more evenly.

as for laying in the bed...dont even get me started, playing on a bed is extremely uncomfortable and in less than 10 minutes you'll be changing position because you'll actually start feeling discomfort, it takes much more effort to lift your neck and bend your torso a bit (which is the position you are on while playing on a bed) than just sitting in a COMFORTABLE chair with most of your body weight resting in other place.

the argument is flawed consolites, stop using it.

lightleggy

Think about your argument. In order to get comfortable playing with a PC, you need to go out and spend even more money on something because you can't just game on a couch or chair unless it's a laptop. With a console. if you're not comfortable, you can get up and move somewhere else.

Also, leaning forward is actually WORSE for your spine. It bends it in an unusual position for extended periods of time.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

[QUOTE="soapandbubbles"]GTFO...just accept that gamers prefer consoles TOO! Gsus sick of these threads. Stalkerfieldsis

Well I'm sick of the PC bashing threads, the ammount of false information is infuriating!

blame the PC fanboys who constantly spread hate towards console with their silly graphics threads and GPU nonsense.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Stalkerfieldsis"]

[QUOTE="soapandbubbles"]GTFO...just accept that gamers prefer consoles TOO! Gsus sick of these threads. soapandbubbles

blame the PC fanboys who constantly spread hate towards console with their silly graphics threads and GPU nonsense.

prasing PC gaming=/= bashing console gaming

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Articuno76

To add another perspective, I recall as a child that I could play consoles comfortably for hours just sitting on the damn floor. I can't imagine doing the same with a keyboard and mouse. Surely it would be awkward cos you've when trying to get your hands to reach the floor to type without hunching over forwards...not leaning forward, but hunching forward.... Come to think of it how the hell would anyone (ergonomically speaking, not just comfort) play games on the PC using a mouse and keyboard in that situation? I know some people are more flexible that others, but many people can't reach their toes comfortably from a sitting on the floor position let alone hold that position for several hours... I do sometimes set my PC up at my TV downstairs and find that when I use the keyboard I have to look away from the TV because reaching down to touch the keyboard and keep an eye on the screen is like doing a stretching exercise. Obviously no one would ever use this position to realistically play PC games (I only use it to set up games that I can then play with a controller). It does show that you can play almost anywhere with consoles (playing on consoles is really not that different ergonomically from playing a handheld tbh).

Uh put the keyboard in your lap and leave the mouse to the side...................

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

And that is a fact.

first of all: PC chairs arent bad to sit on, they arent uncomfortable for your ass unless its a chair from the 80s or something like that, and barely anyone ever sits laying back on a couch/chair. most people sit and bend forward so that their backs are not laying against the back of the chair/couch. while in this bent position, you rest your arms/elbows in the desktop, which is good because that way your spine doesnt need to support the whole weight of your body like it does in a couch. you are distributing weight more evenly.

as for laying in the bed...dont even get me started, playing on a bed is extremely uncomfortable and in less than 10 minutes you'll be changing position because you'll actually start feeling discomfort, it takes much more effort to lift your neck and bend your torso a bit (which is the position you are on while playing on a bed) than just sitting in a COMFORTABLE chair with most of your body weight resting in other place.

WiiCubeM1

Think about your argument. In order to get comfortable playing with a PC, you need to go out and spend even more money on something because you can't just game on a couch or chair unless it's a laptop. With a console. if you're not comfortable, you can get up and move somewhere else.

Also, leaning forward is actually WORSE for your spine. It bends it in an unusual position for extended periods of time.

So spending $40-$50 on a decent computer chair (this price is normal even armless chairs these days) is expensive when a couch cost way more then that do?

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Ever had your mates over to play PC? no, its stupid/difficult too much trouble, only hard core geeks would be interested

Ever had your mates over to play xbox/ps3? yes, easiest thing in the world even for amateurs.

Not only are pc's uncomfortable, they are designed for social outcasts

consoles win,give up.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

And that is a fact.

NoodleFighter

So spending $40-$50 on a decent computer chair (this price is normal even armless chairs these days) is expensive when a couch cost way more then that do?

Well, you do have a point. I could argue sitting on the floor, but that's kind of uncomfortable unless you do it all the time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Ever had your mates over to play PC? no, its stupid/difficult too much trouble, only hard core geeks would be interested

Ever had your mates over to play xbox/ps3? yes, easiest thing in the world even for amateurs.

consoles win,give up.

Evo_nine

Most of my friends are married with families. Most have their guard up because being the family man, they have to set the example which can take its toll. When you gather a bunch of them together, they let down their guard down and do the obnoxious things us guys do like belching and farting and just plain being rowdy. I honestly wouldn't want them next to me especially when one has a specially noxious fart. One will even point his bums at me and let loose.

Do I really want these guys next to me? Nah. I rather have them in a LAN-fest where each one or two has a room to set up their PCs on. I'm also more individualistic. The last time I wanted friends next to me was when I was a teen. When I was single and had my own pad, I didn't want anyone trashing it. Even my kid is showing the same trend. Before, she and her friends were always gathered around in the family room. Now, they prefer their own rooms and their own stuff.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Evo_nine

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

consoles win,give up.

jun_aka_pekto

Most of my friends are married with families. Most have their guard up because being the family man, they have to set the example which can take its toll. When you gather a bunch of them together, they let down their guard down and do the obnoxious things us guys do like belching and farting and just plain being rowdy. I honestly wouldn't want them next to me especially when one has a specially noxious fart. One will even point his bums at me and let loose.

Do I really want these guys next to me? Nah. I rather have them in a LAN-fest where each one or two has a room to set up their PCs on. I'm also more individualistic. The last time I wanted friends next to me was when I was a teen. When I was single and had my own pad, I didn't want anyone trashing it. Even my kid is showing the same trend. Before, she and her friends were always gathered around in the family room. Now, they prefer their own rooms and their own stuff.

Well i assume you are the small minority.

Nothing better than fifa night.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Handhelds are the most comfortable. I wake up, pick up my PSP or DS from my nightstand and play a good 30 minutes all from my bed. Repeat the process at bed time.
vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

consoles win,give up.

Evo_nine

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I still game on a recliner and my bed even though its on pc =/
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
You can sit on any kind of chair you want to play either. One certain kind of chair isn't exclusive to any one system.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Iantheone

consoles win,give up

Evo_nine

1. Yes I have Lans pretty much every weekend. Whoever wants to come along just brings their PC. Most of them have laptops, so its not that hard. Even a desktop takes 5 mins to set up.

2. No. Its actually more complicated and difficult to set up for consoles. Especially if you have more than 4 people. You need to organise controllers, TVs, Xbox live accounts (Cause I only know like 1 person with a PS3), guest accounts yaddah yaddah yaddah.

Then there is the quality of gameplay when playing 4 person split screen. Laggy gameplay with especially bad graphics on a tiny screen with others around it doing the same thing. Whereas on Pc everyone has their own space and own screen. Much better.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 NoodleFighter

consoles win,give up.

Evo_nine

*invites friends over*

*Have them go to the living room*

*Start up Serious Sam 3 BFE and have a blast*

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Evo_nine

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

consoles win,give up

Iantheone

1. Most of them have laptops, so its not that hard. Even a desktop takes 5 mins to set up.

2. You need to organise controllers.

Organising controllers?? how hard can that be. Let me illustrate.

Mate 1) Hi mate, you want to play fifa?

Mate 2) Yes.

Mate1) Here you go *hands over controller*

Youre assuming all gamers play FPS. What you if you like sports games? no chance in hell my mates will bring over their friggen computer to play it over lan lol let alonehave them all sitaround my computer desk.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Iantheone

Youre assuming all gamers play FPS. What you if you like sports games? no chance in hell my mates will bring over their friggen computer to play it over lan lol let alone sit as my computer desk.

Evo_nine
No one I know has 4 controllers. Most of them have 1 or 2 at most and then you need to cater for the people who don't have controllers. When we get together we play FPSs, so waht? If we want to play a sport game we will just play outside
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

consoles win,give up

Evo_nine

1. Most of them have laptops, so its not that hard. Even a desktop takes 5 mins to set up.

2. You need to organise controllers.

Organising controllers?? how hard can that be. Let me illustrate.

Mate 1) Hi mate, you want to play fifa?

Mate 2) Yes.

Mate1) Here you go *hands over controller*

Youre assuming all gamers play FPS. What you if you like sports games? no chance in hell my mates will bring over their friggen computer to play it over lan lol let alonehave them all sitaround my computer desk.

You can do the samething on a PC......

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

consoles win,give up.

Evo_nine
So in other words, you're too stupid and it's too difficult for you to play PC. Is that what you're saying?
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

My office chair is just as comofy as my bed

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Evo_nine

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

consoles win,give up.

DragonfireXZ95

So in other words, you're too stupid and it's too difficult for you to play PC. Is that what you're saying?

PC's are designed for social outcasts. I take it you are one.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

I actually feel much more comfortable playing on my PC than playing my console. I don't need to change position in front of my PC, while on my couch, after a while, I will typically start moving around, wiggling...

I suppose it all depends on your personal furniture. My living room's furniture was bought and set up around the idea of watching films. Whereas I bought my PC furniture keeping in mind that it had to be super comfy for gaming.

milannoir

I keep falling asleep on my couch ;)

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Evo_nine

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]

Youre assuming all gamers play FPS. What you if you like sports games? no chance in hell my mates will bring over their friggen computer to play it over lan lol let alone sit as my computer desk.

Iantheone

we want to play a sport game we will just play outside

OK.......

:S

eyebrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 eyebrows
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

How ironic (and in fact stupid) that your argument is flawed because you cannot even spell 'argument' properly! *UBER-FACEPALM*