The PC's greatest weakness?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts

This isn't a topic to discuss how the PC is better or worse than the consoles. Every platform has its weaknesses.

That said, what do you think is the PC's greatest weakness?

(I'll note that I discussed this with a primarily PC gamer friend of mine.)

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tOtalPWNaAe
Member since 2008 • 3375 Posts
this is starting to be a fad and thats a no no for the mods
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
A combination of choices "3" and "5", I guess. The issues people have with the platform generally stem from user error/ignorance.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
Piracy.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mstc_Q
Piracy.coakroach
Hmm... Good thought. Every gaming platform has that problem to some degree though.
tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tOtalPWNaAe
[QUOTE="coakroach"]Piracy.mstc_Q
Hmm... Good thought. Every gaming platform has that problem to some degree though.

the PS3 disagrees
Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
For me, it was the price. I had to wait a long while in order to save enough money to buy a good PC, it almost put me off getting a new PC on a few occasions. I haven't had any problems since I've got it running, so the price seemed to be the big 'barrier' in my case.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"] the PS3 disagrees

you can still borrow games right?
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"] the PS3 disagrees

I was talking to my brother who seems pretty caught up on news like this, and he was saying that PS3, and Bluray, was definitely not exempt. I'm not sure where the idea that it was somehow immune came up.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

The PC's library isn't a weakness - it's a strength, but if the definition of it as a weakness mirrors that of what the TC said, then every platform shares that con.

I would say 1 is the main problem with it, 3 is a result of 5, 2 and 4 can't be helped as it's on the user's end.

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tOtalPWNaAe
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"] the PS3 disagrees

i didnt know borrowing games is like pirating????
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"] the PS3 disagrees tOtalPWNaAe

Well what is pirating?

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Velocitas8

i didnt know borrowing games is like pirating????tOtalPWNaAe

How isn't it? In both cases you get to play a game without purchasing it.

It's a similar situation with the used game market. You buy and get to play used games at a discounted price, but none of that money actually goes to the publisher/developer of that title. Buying a used game that someone else has already finished isn't much different from letting someone make a pirated copy of your game -- the only significant difference is that money is exchanged between the two parties involved.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mstc_Q

The PC's library isn't a weakness - it's a strength, but if the definition of it as a weakness mirrors that of what the TC said, then every platform shares that con.

I would say 1 is the main problem with it, 3 is a result of 5, 2 and 4 can't be helped as it's on the user's end.

aliblabla2007

3 isn't always the result of 5. Even the most experience PC gamer, or in my friend's case PC repairman and optimizer, runs into problems while trying to get his games to run. For instance, I don't know if you knew, but the new Prince of Persia does not run without crashing on a 64-bit operating system. An oversight on Ubisoft's part, but in spite of going even as far as reformatting, my friend finally got a refund. Of course, this falls into category 4 as well.

So a better example would be when he was trhing to get D-Fend to run Master of Orion II. It works now, but not until after a few times having to stop the program and mess with the settings a bit.

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tOtalPWNaAe

[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"]i didnt know borrowing games is like pirating????Velocitas8

It's a similar situation with the used game market. You buy and get to play used games at a discounted price, but none of that money actually goes to the publisher/developer of that title. Buying a used game that someone else has already finished isn't much different from letting someone make a pirated copy of your game -- the only significant difference is that money is exchanged between the two parties involved.

so every person borrowing any game in the US is like pirating it??????
thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thesmiter
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts
i hate the technical crap and the accessability issues, and price is somewhat an issue. i don't want one enough to spend over $500 on it. at least, not at this time...
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"]i didnt know borrowing games is like pirating????tOtalPWNaAe

Basically, except for the part where it's legal to borrow, but copyright infringement to pirate.
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ Microsoft and the american mass-media (particularily internet supposed gaming experts).

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Velocitas8

Three isn't always the result of 5. Even the most experience PC gamer, or in my friend's case PC repairman and optimizer, runs into problems while trying to get his games to run. For instance, I don't know if you knew, but the new Prince of Persia does not run without crashing on a 64-bit operating system. An oversight on Ubisoft's part, but in spite of going even as far as reformatting, my friend finally got a refund. Of course, this falls into category 4 as well.mstc_Q

"4" is just flat-out untrue -- like "3", it is only the result of "5."

I've been gaming on PC for as long as I can remember, yet I've never had a game or piece of hardware simply "not work" with my system (save for instances where the purchased item itself was defective.) I know what's compatible with my machine and what isn't, and I've always made my purchases with that in mind.

As far as technical issues: these pretty much always stem from improper system or software configuration. A direct result of user error/ignorance.

tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tOtalPWNaAe
[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"][QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

mstc_Q

Basically, except for the part where it's legal to borrow, but copyright infringement to pirate.

when is it not legal to borrow????
Avatar image for Gaming_Guru_Guy
Gaming_Guru_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gaming_Guru_Guy
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
My choice would be its fanboys the Hermits. I also feel each one of those choices apply not just one so I did not vote.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="mstc_Q"][QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"] so every person borrowing any game in the US is like pirating it??????tOtalPWNaAe

when is it not legal to borrow????

I think you misunderstood me...
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]Three isn't always the result of 5. Even the most experience PC gamer, or in my friend's case PC repairman and optimizer, runs into problems while trying to get his games to run. For instance, I don't know if you knew, but the new Prince of Persia does not run without crashing on a 64-bit operating system. An oversight on Ubisoft's part, but in spite of going even as far as reformatting, my friend finally got a refund. Of course, this falls into category 4 as well.Velocitas8

I've been gaming on PC for as long as I can remember, yet I've never had a game or piece of hardware simply "not work" with my system (save for instances where the purchased item itself was defective.) I know what's compatible with my machine and what isn't, and I've always made my purchases with that in mind.

As far as technical issues: these pretty much always stem from improper system or software configuration. A direct result of user error/ignorance.

COD World at war had some major issues for PC gaming... I searched the forums in and out... Nothing was working, that was on windows 32bit. Now, it works great with Vista 64bit. I know my fair share of PC knowledge and debuging when there is a need to.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mstc_Q

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]Three isn't always the result of 5. Even the most experience PC gamer, or in my friend's case PC repairman and optimizer, runs into problems while trying to get his games to run. For instance, I don't know if you knew, but the new Prince of Persia does not run without crashing on a 64-bit operating system. An oversight on Ubisoft's part, but in spite of going even as far as reformatting, my friend finally got a refund. Of course, this falls into category 4 as well.Velocitas8

Well, I'm glad you're so much better than my friend who helps people fix their operating systems for a living.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"]i didnt know borrowing games is like pirating????tOtalPWNaAe

Can you explain the concept behind both?

thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thesmiter
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

[QUOTE="mstc_Q"]Three isn't always the result of 5. Even the most experience PC gamer, or in my friend's case PC repairman and optimizer, runs into problems while trying to get his games to run. For instance, I don't know if you knew, but the new Prince of Persia does not run without crashing on a 64-bit operating system. An oversight on Ubisoft's part, but in spite of going even as far as reformatting, my friend finally got a refund. Of course, this falls into category 4 as well.mstc_Q

Well, I'm glad you're so much better than my friend who helps people fix their operating systems for a living.

don't get too upset, thats the standard hermit operating procedure. they know everything, and if you don't know as much about computers as they do, you don't deserve to live. duh.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mstc_Q

Bebi_vegeta

Simple logic. The percieved problem behind piracy is that the developers aren't getting paid for they're hard earned work.

When you buy a used game or borrow, it is merely players exchanging the game between hands. The developers don't see a red cent for any transaction, and you get to play the game without them recieving any sort of compensation.

Now the former, Piracy, is illegal, because it's copyright infringement.

The latter isn't illegal in the United States (I hear-tell that the used game market is illegal in Japan for this reason), and developers believe they are losing millions a year because of second hand video gaming.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Oh god, does anyone actually think that people should not be able to borrow games?

Can you imagine how awful it would be if there was no used game market? Oh I'd really like to play that game I bought 10 years ago ... Oh wait, I can't.

Oh crap my disc is scratched, I need a new one to buy that game ... Oh wait I can't. Because its no longer in stores and its not up for download.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

mstc_Q

Simple logic. The percieved problem behind piracy is that the developers aren't getting paid for they're hard earned work.

When you buy a used game or borrow, it is merely players exchanging the game between hands. The developers don't see a red cent for any transaction, and you get to play the game without them recieving any sort of compensation.

The latter isn't illegal in the United States (I hear-tell that the used game market is illegal in Japan for this reason), and developers believe they are losing millions a year because of second hand video gaming.

What are you talking about? Tons of used games are sold in Japan, and I've been told by Japanese gamers thats the way many of them buy games. There are entire stores of used games in Japan. Unopened Saturn, Playstation, and even Super Famicom (nintendo) games up for sale. And of course, other used games as well, newer ones. Just look on ebay. Japanese used games are very expensive if new, but generally cheaper than their western counterparts if from a previous generation.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mstc_Q

Oh god, does anyone actually think that people should not be able to borrow games?

Can you imagine how awful it would be if there was no used game market? Oh I'd really like to play that game I bought 10 years ago ... Oh wait, I can't.

Oh crap my disc is scratched, I need a new one to buy that game ... Oh wait I can't. Because its no longer in stores and its not up for download.

hakanakumono
I never said which side I was on, in fact, if you notice, I was very delberate in putting qualifiers into my explaination.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="mstc_Q"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

hakanakumono

What are you talking about? Tons of used games are sold in Japan, and I've been told by Japanese years ago thats the way many of them buy games. There are entire stores of used games in Japan. Unopened Saturn, Playstation, and even Super Famicom (nintendo) games up for sale. And of course, other used games as well, newer ones.

Then I guess I heard-told wrong. I bet it's at least up for debate though.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

mstc_Q

I never said which side I was on, in fact, if you notice, I was very delberate in putting qualifiers into my explaination.

Sorry.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"][QUOTE="mstc_Q"]

mstc_Q

What are you talking about? Tons of used games are sold in Japan, and I've been told by Japanese years ago thats the way many of them buy games. There are entire stores of used games in Japan. Unopened Saturn, Playstation, and even Super Famicom (nintendo) games up for sale. And of course, other used games as well, newer ones.

Then I guess I heard-told wrong. I bet it's at least up for debate though.

I don't think they could pull it off, nor do politicians really care about videogames. Unless of course, you need to ban them (except Japan, they could care less whats on their televisons it seems).

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

mstc_Q

Exactly... my point was, for him to explain... because he didn't seem to understand.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="mstc_Q"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

hakanakumono

What are you talking about? Tons of used games are sold in Japan, and I've been told by Japanese gamers thats the way many of them buy games. There are entire stores of used games in Japan. Unopened Saturn, Playstation, and even Super Famicom (nintendo) games up for sale. And of course, other used games as well, newer ones. Just look on ebay. Japanese used games are very expensive if new, but generally cheaper than their western counterparts if from a previous generation.

In other words, a legal black market... Something we can close our eyes on, right?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hakanakumono

Bebi_vegeta

In other words, a legal black market... Something we can close our eyes on, right?

Do you mean legal piracy or something ignored? I'm sure its very legal in Japan. go on ebay, you can buy plenty of the games they sell (I'm pretty sure the shop owners put their items on ebay).

thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thesmiter

Bebi_vegeta

yes, because once you purchase something, you're not allowed to sell it ever again. used cars are a crime against humanity. houses, too. because copying something a lot and giving it out for free or even profit is exatly the same as buying the original copy from someone who already bought it...

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

thesmiter

yes, because once you purchase something, you're not allowed to sell it ever again. used cars are a crime against humanity. houses, too. because copying something a lot and giving it out for free or even profit is exatly the same as buying the original copy from someone who already bought it...

What your missing is that you do not own a game when you purchase it, but just a licence to use it.

yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 yowtfyowtfyo
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts
right now lack of software...but same could be said for consoles because their games are even worse.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocitas8"]

technicly yes. Althrough borowing, or buying used games isn't illegal for some reasons and gamestop etc make quite a lot of money from selling used games. But just like with pirating none of that money reaches the developer. I think some developer once said that they loose more money from people buying used games than they do from pirates.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I voted the last option, tbh most "gamers" who would even consider giving PC gaming a chance wouldn't have a clue where to start, they'd have to buy a new full gaming PC and even then they might not choose the best option and end up getting ripped off for something which is poor for gaming.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
PC's greatest weakness is how small the online communites are for console centric multiplats.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
The only one of those that is a real point is the second.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
I'd say it's weakness is all of those as a whole, but in small doses.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
In my case, it'd have to be option 5. I'm no computer whiz so all this talk of videocards and RAM and whatever only confuses me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="tOtalPWNaAe"][QUOTE="_Pedro_"] you can still borrow games right? Bebi_vegeta

Well what is pirating?

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. :|
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#47 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
I would say accessibility is the only real problem with PC's... Sure, they're expensive, but so is a 360/PS3. I think if people knew they could spend $500 on a good custom PC then they would, but you havea to be a little tech-savvy to build a good/cheap custom PC.
scorpion88057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 scorpion88057
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

It's hard to single out one weakness for the PC as there always more than one acting in concert against it. I see piracy was listed here already though.

What I call the rat race in hardware upgrades. (Others call it an arms race) This pro can also con against itself making developers infringe high system requirements which limits a target audience. (disastified PC Developers like those of Crysis) The ever present danger of a system standard would make it only a console in the end. (An example game, Lionheart. had a locked resolution and people outcried against it)

Lack of backwards compatibility at times. Vista is famous for this nightmare with the forgoing of Directsound. Processors alone shouldn't bare the brunt of handling sound. It's Account Control forces most to shut the feature off and have done with it.

Revolutions. Things like moving to MMOs and selling games through downloads. MMOs seem to have left other genres lacking. (single player RPGs I'm looking at you) The move to selling games through online seem to be giving the impression PC Games are having trouble selling. (The NPD apparently wants to aid this along by only counting brick and mortar sales) While also a pro revolution can be a con with a re-skin of current architecture.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#49 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Right now, although this is small, a growing and disturbing trend for PC gamers is now lazy PC port. GTA IV and Saints Row 2 are both victims of it, and while GTA IV might get away with it, Saints Row 2 couldn't. Just because you want to futureproof the games doesn't mean you have to badly optimize the games for PCs.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
What the hell? Doesn't have games exclusive? Right thats why it has the most AAAEs, AAEs and AEs? :? =poor thread.