The PC's greatest weakness?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="Emaldon69"]PC's greatest weakness = Its own fanbase who is tryng to kill their platform of choice via pirating softwareJade_Monkey

It's splitting hairs but I wouldn't call pirates part of our fanbase. How can you call someone who doesn't really care about the health of the gaming industry a fan of PC games let alone gaming as a whole.

Because they like PC games. That's all it really takes. People who pirate music can still be fans of a musician or singer. What would you call a person who had all of, say, Elvis's music? An Elvis fan. Doesn't matter how that person gets the music.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Angry_Beaver
[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]As far as I can tell, piracy addresses the issue of number of copies licensed to consumers. If n copies of the game are manufactured and sold, then exactly n consumers have exclusive rights to those copies (assuming no one splits the bill). Transferring a copy without duplicating it keeps the number of legitimate, distributed copies constant (i.e. the number n is a constant). This is not piracy. It is borrowing, just like with anything else.

dc337

Borrowing implies consent. When you borrow a couch you are getting permission to do it. When you pirate you are taking intellectual property without permission. You are taking the work of others without paying for it. It isn't borrowing, it's theft.

Do you actually dispute anything I said?

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#153 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="Emaldon69"]PC's greatest weakness = Its own fanbase who is tryng to kill their platform of choice via pirating softwareAngry_Beaver

It's splitting hairs but I wouldn't call pirates part of our fanbase. How can you call someone who doesn't really care about the health of the gaming industry a fan of PC games let alone gaming as a whole.

Because they like PC games. That's all it really takes. People who pirate music can still be fans of a musician or singer. What would you call a person who had all of, say, Elvis's music? An Elvis fan. Doesn't matter how that person gets the music.

i see what your seeing, it is just that I don't like to count pirates as real gamers, let alone human beings worthy of oxygen. I would rather they not have any signifigance to gaming.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Angry_Beaver
[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

i see what your seeing, it is just that I don't like to count pirates as real gamers, let alone human beings worthy of oxygen. I would rather they not have any signifigance to gaming.

I can understand where you're coming from, but redefining words isn't the proper way to express such feelings.

ch-ch-chaoguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#155 ch-ch-chaoguy
Member since 2005 • 1106 Posts

[QUOTE="Emaldon69"]PC's greatest weakness = Its own fanbase who is tryng to kill their platform of choice via pirating softwareJade_Monkey

My friend would be a good example, downloaded a torrent of Orange Box, been playing TF2 online every day. (He bought the actual game a few months ago though...)
w0lfbreeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 w0lfbreeder
Member since 2007 • 426 Posts
i'd say its biggest weakness is that it just has soo many games. nobody has enough time to play them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pc for life.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Price, honestly. You don't really need to know computers to have the full experience, but the less knowledge you have the more it costs so it seems price would edge out there. The rest of the "issues" don't make sense.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#158 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]As far as I can tell, piracy addresses the issue of number of copies licensed to consumers. If n copies of the game are manufactured and sold, then exactly n consumers have exclusive rights to those copies (assuming no one splits the bill). Transferring a copy without duplicating it keeps the number of legitimate, distributed copies constant (i.e. the number n is a constant). This is not piracy. It is borrowing, just like with anything else.

dc337
Borrowing implies consent. When you borrow a couch you are getting permission to do it. When you pirate you are taking intellectual property without permission. You are taking the work of others without paying for it. It isn't borrowing, it's theft.

I think Angry_Beaver might be a pirate.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
5, because of the term accessibility. Some people just can't seem to grasp the ideas behind PC gaming, and if they can they don't understand it's versatility. The idea of a PC being played on an HDTV or from your couch with a gamepad is beyond most common people's knowledge. It's an ignorance related issue really.

Pricing is another big one, but it's not too expensive to get a good PC these days.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Honestly I dont see the hoo haa around hardware nowadays.

Really now, even low end PC gaming hardware runs nearly every game at great settings..... My system, which is hardly anything to tout runs every game great, at native resolution - the only one that pushes my computer to its limits; is well of course Crysis at its peak visual settings.

Otherwise my system, that I overhauled over 14 months ago, for roughly the price of a PS3 here runs games great, and offers all the benifits of being a computer.

Even with all the new tech out now, or on the horizon, i dont feel the least bit compelled to upgrade at all.... Hardware is on a totally different level than the software being produced. Its a great time to be gaming on the PC in this regard.

ZIMdoom

You have just seen why not having a set standard makes PC arguements difficult for everyone. Hermits want to keep touting Crysis as reason why console gamers shouldn't talk about graphics. Browse any thread here comparing PS3 vs 360 graphics and inevitably hermits will come in with "Crysis is way better looking, so console gamers shouldn't talk". Okay, fine. Everyone agrees Crysis looks awesome. However, then hermits want to turn around and argue that it costs $300 to build an awesome gaming rig. But that same rig won't run Crysis on settings that would jusitfy the graphics arguement.

This is why the debate will never end. Every PC gamers experience is different, but they want to act like it is shared by everyone with a PC in their house. It isn't.

Well this is a strength of PC gaming. You can spend what you want to spend to run a game how you like it; depending on your taste in games too. Besides Crysis is just one good looking game, there are plenty of other titles that look amazing, and arent as system intensive; and of course multiplats always run without a hitch. Hermits can rant about it I guess, because well, Crysis is an amazing looking game that is yards ahead of everything else - hardware or not, its only on the pc platform. Fanboys are fanboys.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Angry_Beaver
[QUOTE="dc337"][QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]As far as I can tell, piracy addresses the issue of number of copies licensed to consumers. If n copies of the game are manufactured and sold, then exactly n consumers have exclusive rights to those copies (assuming no one splits the bill). Transferring a copy without duplicating it keeps the number of legitimate, distributed copies constant (i.e. the number n is a constant). This is not piracy. It is borrowing, just like with anything else.

xsubtownerx

I think you might be a ninja.

But seriously, I hope you were kidding there. If not, there's a serious lack of comprehension going on. Lending or selling a game to someone else can't be considered pirating unless the same is true of any other product. The distinction must lie elsewhere, and where it lies is in the number of copies of the game the company has licensed to consumers. I'll put it this way: duplicating a game is increasing the number of copies of it without the company knowing, thus the company has not licensed that extra copy. Also, copyrights explicitly forbid copying, anyway.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="dc337"] Borrowing implies consent. When you borrow a couch you are getting permission to do it. When you pirate you are taking intellectual property without permission. You are taking the work of others without paying for it. It isn't borrowing, it's theft. Angry_Beaver

I think you might be a ninja.

But seriously, I hope you were kidding there. If not, there's a serious lack of comprehension going on. Lending or selling a game to someone else can't be considered pirating unless the same is true of any other product. The distinction must lie elsewhere, and where it lies is in the number of copies of the game the company has licensed to consumers. I'll put it this way: duplicating a game is increasing the number of copies of it without the company knowing, thus the company has not licensed that extra copy. Also, copyrights explicitly forbid copying, anyway.

Because without the licenses or the copyright laws making a copy of a game has literally the same effect as borrowing does in the end. You know if the federal government could take away your right to property they would and they just might now that you know who is in office. How would you like to have to license everything you "own"?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
The last three are the only things that are weaknesses in PC gaming because PC games are much cheaper then console games and the PC has the most extensive game library of any other platform, anyway, I voted for the last one.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I voted for the last one because you really have to know what you are doing, and in fact it influences the impact of the two above it.

Another thing that isn't on your list that is the fact that PC gaming is full of SOB's that:

- Pirate Games.

- Think that online gaming is magically free and will never spend a penny to rent or support a server.