The Nintendo 3DS may be in trouble for 2 major reasons, high price and.........

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexfla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alexfla
Member since 2010 • 393 Posts

low battery life. I think $200 would've been the sweet spot. I know it would've sold like hot cakes at that price but $250 is stretching it a bit. If they included a game then things would be better. I have doubts that people will be coming in droves to spend $250 on this thing when a lot of people already own the regular DS and DS XL and really there are almost no games for the 3DS launch.

Now add to that the poor battery life. The 3D effect may be super cool(have yet to try it) but it's not cool to run out of battery in 2 to 3 hours. That's really lame. And I know you get 8 hours if you shut off the 3D but then what is the point of this device anyway?

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts
I disagree. Just my opinion, but I think that the 3DS will sell like hotcakes just like the Wii did. The reason is that it is drastically different than anything else on the market. Just like the Wii captured people's imagination with motion-control, the glasses-free 3D will bring thousands, if not millions of people into their local game shops. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. There is a huge buzz already, and commercials haven't even hit the air-waves yet.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Still getting the 3ds and i'm not planning on using the 3d thing.
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
this video convinced me to get the 3DS on launch. And yes, the game is a launch title
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i am sure you can buy a 3 party power pack for it . 3 hours is really bad who wants to use 3ds with all the settings turn down ?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It'll still sell. Afterall, remember when they introduced the color Gameboy Pockets? Those things flew off the shelves, even though they were just different colors.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Price is no problem and battery life can be increased. Everyone who has wanted to get the most life out of their DS lite and i's battery life has their own ways of increasing it, besides the obvious. The 3DS will only fail if the games suck, nothing else matters in the long run.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
on a side note..speaking of price...in europe its going down for the 3DS. on amazon it started at 230 sterling. then 220. now were down to 202 sterling. thats 320 dollars or 235 euros. still very high in europe but improving. i was expecting 250 euros since its usually treated as a 1:1 conversion for all consoles. so were now under that. this is probably a crazy notion but maybe, just maybe, NOE have actually done a good thing by not declaring a price. hold onto your pre-orders europeans and continue to squeez....lets see if we can get em to 189. capitalism HO! \o/
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

low battery life. I think $200 would've been the sweet spot. I know it would've sold like hot cakes at that price but $250 is stretching it a bit. If they included a game then things would be better. I have doubts that people will be coming in droves to spend $250 on this thing when a lot of people already own the regular DS and DS XL and really there are almost no games for the 3DS launch.

Now add to that the poor battery life. The 3D effect may be super cool(have yet to try it) but it's not cool to run out of battery in 2 to 3 hours. That's really lame. And I know you get 8 hours if you shut off the 3D but then what is the point of this device anyway?

alexfla

The battery life is the same as the DS Lite (6-7hrs) I think. It'll have long play time then the NGP, I can tell you that. That thing is a beast. The price is fine for now. It'll drop in price next year. The 3DS is going to sell out everywhere. I've already pre-ordered 2 of them and will sell one of them on EBay for like $300+ Nintendo already said there will be shortages. You're not going to be able to find them this summer and definitely not during the holidays.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
It'll sell because of the franchises.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#11 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

They heard how much the PSP2 was gonna cost and figured, "Why the hell not?". Might even blame inflation and the recession.

Nintendo lost focus. The only thing left for them is games. If they have tons of great exclusives, then it won't matter. They need a veritable flood of unique 3D games from Nintendo 1st-party. If the 3DS tries to do the type of games that PSP2 is going to have then it will get stomped.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

If you turn off the 3D its 8 hours, and im sure I wont be playing with it on 24/7 anyhow. And everything is getting more expensive now so the price isn't that big of a deal.

TheRealLisaAnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheRealLisaAnn
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts
let me complete the sentence. The Nintendo 3DS may be in trouble for 2 major reasons, high price and parents who allow their 7yo or younger child to play for hours on end, seriously messing up their eyes. (Here come the lawsuits. Thank you, stupid parents who don't read instruction manuals.)
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Who plays for eight hours straight without recharging? 99% of my hand held time is at home any way. Battery life is such a non issue.
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
Who plays for eight hours straight without recharging? 99% of my hand held time is at home any way. Battery life is such a non issue. Bread_or_Decide
It really isn't an issue. When I play in public places (on the bus, at work, whenever) it's usually in small spurts so having around 5 hours of battery life is fine with me.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Oh dear, people please look up the details from Nintendo about battery life

With turning 3D off, turning WiFi off, putting brightness down to lower settings, and turning on power save mode, you could get up to 8-10 hours on 3DS games, even more with DS games

If you think the price is high, wait until the NGP is priced woah that's gonna be bad

Also, the one thing that will make the 3DS sell better, is games are going to sell better on the 3DS than the NGP

The PSP Go failed at getting mobile gamers into DD. Sony is clearly going to price NGP games at $40 to maybe $60 to download (it has PS3 power almost so I'm betting games are going to be more expensive)

Also, you probably won't get as many 4GB-8GB games on NGP as 3DS. Why? No one, I repeat no console gamers (not counting PC gamers) are going to want to download over 2GB or 3GBs over WiFi or 3G just to play a game for $40 that may end up not being what you wanted, but now you're out of $40 and can't resell the game at gamestop or craigslist

This will be the fatal flaw in this next generation of Handhelds, one company going with DD all the way, and the 3DS going with it part of the way

Both will be supported greatly during their first year, and during their second year too, but as the dust settles, developers will see that one customer base will not be buying as many games as the other one, and they will halt their support or slow it down a lot, just like during PSP/DS when PSP games began to not nearly sell as well as DS games

These reasons alone will make whatever trouble the 3DS is in, and believe it does have an up hill battle ahead of it, become the winner in the end

I doubt we ever see a NGP game break 10 million units sold, but if the 3DS is much like the DS, I'm willing to bet it may have dozens cross that mark before all is said and done.

I wouldn't be surprised if retailers like GameStop refuse to carry the NGP, why would they? They can't make much more than a few bucks off each unit since there is no physical software. I think people still want to buy games at stores and used, as they tend to be cheaper than the DD Sony has been offering on PSN up to date.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
$250 is probably going to be much better priced than the NGP, the low battery life may be a problem, hopefully the new inductive charger should be good. The 3DS and NGP will be closer than the PSP, but I think 3DS will take it again. On launch day developers went nuts for the 3DS. The NGP looks great, but the more powerful console almost never wins. Look at some console battles from before, all of the below are less powerful consoles outselling more powerful consoles, PS1 outsold the N64l, PS2 outsold both the xbox and gamecube, Gameboy sold more the many coloured handhelds out at the time, DS outsold PSP, and Wii outsold Xbox 360 and PS3. Why, it's the games library, and innovation. Nintendo realized that horsepower and graphics are not the only way to go, it's that people will be impressed if you develop new technology, and making it work. The DS was the first dual screen handheld and it had a touch screen as well. Wii was the first console with a motion controller. 3DS is the first handheld with 3d and first console to have it without glasses. 3DS is something brand new unseen and like no console, NGP is basically an improved PSP (which was basically a portable maybe slightly worse PS2) which is a portable PS3 maybe slightly worse from what I have seen so far. Sure that's great and I'm sure the NGP will be fantastic, but 3DS is something I want my hands on right now. Also the 3DS on announcement had a lot more games confirmed than the NGP. NGP has COD, MGS4 and Uncharted, but I'm very tired of COD, MGS4 would be an awesome game to have, and Uncharted is good although the online not so much. The 3DS has resident evil revelations, legend of zelda, kid icarus, starfox 64, street fighter 4, kingdom hearts, paper mario, metal gear solid 3d, Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy, Dead Or Alive: Dimensions, and Splinter Cell. It will be a close race, but I'm going 3DS.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darth-pyschosis

They heard how much the PSP2 was gonna cost and figured, "Why the hell not?". Might even blame inflation and the recession.

Nintendo lost focus. The only thing left for them is games. If they have tons of great exclusives, then it won't matter. They need a veritable flood of unique 3D games from Nintendo 1st-party. If the 3DS tries to do the type of games that PSP2 is going to have then it will get stomped.

gamecubepad

Kinda like how the PSP tried to do the games the PS2/PS3 did and got stomped?

Seriously though, i think everyone is going to be "cool its a handheld PS3!" and go back to playing games on their 47 inch HDTVs

nygiantsfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nygiantsfan1
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

With turning 3D off, turning WiFi off, putting brightness down to lower settings, and turning on power save mode, you could get up to 8-10 hours on 3DS games, even more with DS games

If you think the price is high, wait until the NGP is priced woah that's gonna be bad

Also, the one thing that will make the 3DS sell better, is games are going to sell better on the 3DS than the NGP

The PSP Go failed at getting mobile gamers into DD. Sony is clearly going to price NGP games at $40 to maybe $60 to download (it has PS3 power almost so I'm betting games are going to be more expensive)

Also, you probably won't get as many 4GB-8GB games on NGP as 3DS. Why? No one, I repeat no console gamers (not counting PC gamers) are going to want to download over 2GB or 3GBs over WiFi or 3G just to play a game for $40 that may end up not being what you wanted, but now you're out of $40 and can't resell the game at gamestop or craigslist

This will be the fatal flaw in this next generation of Handhelds, one company going with DD all the way, and the 3DS going with it part of the way

Both will be supported greatly during their first year, and during their second year too, but as the dust settles, developers will see that one customer base will not be buying as many games as the other one, and they will halt their support or slow it down a lot, just like during PSP/DS when PSP games began to not nearly sell as well as DS games

These reasons alone will make whatever trouble the 3DS is in, and believe it does have an up hill battle ahead of it, become the winner in the end

I doubt we ever see a NGP game break 10 million units sold, but if the 3DS is much like the DS, I'm willing to bet it may have dozens cross that mark before all is said and done.

I wouldn't be surprised if retailers like GameStop refuse to carry the NGP, why would they? They can't make much more than a few bucks off each unit since there is no physical software. I think people still want to buy games at stores and used, as they tend to be cheaper than the DD Sony has been offering on PSN up to date.

Talk about getting your facts straight, there's going to be physical software on the NGP.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#20 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

darth-pyschosis
Actually, the official specs are 3-5 hours for 3D games, 25% more time without 3D for 3DS games (so 3.75-6.25 hours), and 5-8 for DS games.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="osan0"]on a side note..speaking of price...in europe its going down for the 3DS. on amazon it started at 230 sterling. then 220. now were down to 202 sterling. thats 320 dollars or 235 euros. still very high in europe but improving. i was expecting 250 euros since its usually treated as a 1:1 conversion for all consoles. so were now under that. this is probably a crazy notion but maybe, just maybe, NOE have actually done a good thing by not declaring a price. hold onto your pre-orders europeans and continue to squeez....lets see if we can get em to 189. capitalism HO! \o/

Yeah I've actually changed my mind about it, the 230 tag was too high, but it looks like it might go down as low as 190 or 180 in some places, so I'm ok with that price.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26101 Posts
Yeah, the 3DS will have to deal with it's really high price and bad battery life. And the PSP2 will have it even worse.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Mario on 3DS = automatic win.

Avatar image for hiphop_quotable
hiphop_quotable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hiphop_quotable
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

darth-pyschosis

the ngp is using flash-based memory cards

right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

no man, its a nintendo handheld. they always manage to sell alot. stamp a nintendo logo on dirty diapers and people will buy it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Whichever next gen handheld sufficiently supports digital distribution shall be my pick.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777

this video convinced me to get the 3DS on launch. And yes, the game is a launch titleNintendoNite
That video impressed me. Looked mighty good for a handheld game.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777
If the price of the 3DS really is going to drop a significant level in the EU then I may actually consider one. Still, digital distribution seems like a must for handhelds. Some of the few argument that console lovers have against digital distribution for consoles actually fall away for handhelds as is.
bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#29 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

no man, its a nintendo handheld. they always manage to sell alot. stamp a nintendo logo on dirty diapers and people will buy it.

right4dead

Theres a reason why most gamers prefer the DS over the PSP ya know? *cough*games*cough*

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The majority of people buying the 3DS won't know anything about the low battery life, and those are the same people who have an extra $250 to shell out on something like this.
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

3DS has been sold out already in Japan. The U.S. will be the same.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

The PSP launched for 250 as well, and people bought it. 250 is reasonable (versus the 300+ assumed price people once thought).

Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

same could be said about the psp2

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

NGP will be more expensive, and might have a worse battery life. I don't know the life of a PSP's though.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

darth-pyschosis

The PSP has sold 60 million, if you think the NGP will sell only 10 mil you're deluded and the NGP isn't download only.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zanoh

NGP will be more expensive, and might have a worse battery life. I don't know the life of a PSP's though.

Big_Pecks

Original PSP: 2-4 hours

PSP 2000: 3-8

PSP 3000: 4-9

PSPGo: 3-6

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

Zanoh

Exactly. Although it's improved, the NGP looks like it has a lot more features and could drain it faster.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zanoh

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

Big_Pecks

Exactly. Although it's improved, the NGP looks like it has a lot more features and could drain it faster.

I'm already turned off by the lack of UMD transfering service available (because most of my stuff are not on the PSN). I am betting a 300 and 400 dollar price tag will happen on the NGP models. As a net result it's PSP deja vu all over again and that is the same mistake I do not want to make over again....

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="Big_Pecks"]

Big_Pecks

It's meant to be around 4-5 hours

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zanoh

It's meant to be around 4-5 hours

spookykid143

That is what they are aiming for, yes, but to power an OLED screen takes a lot of battery as well as some of the features that are questionable at best.

I am not dissing the system, but I am certainly feeling a PSP deja vu....which is why I won't be buying it like I did with the original PSP.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
And the NGP is going to be so much better in those categories, right? :roll:
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darth-pyschosis

spookykid143

The PSP has sold 60 million, if you think the NGP will sell only 10 mil you're deluded and the NGP isn't download only.

I was referring to NPG software, not hardware

But I didn't know the NGP uses game cards, can someone give me a link I must have totally missed that.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts

DerekLoffin
Actually, the official specs are 3-5 hours for 3D games, 25% more time without 3D for 3DS games (so 3.75-6.25 hours), and 5-8 for DS games.

Typical Nintendo apologist. What kind of fools pays a premium $250 price tag just to play regular DS games or with 3D turned off (thus effectively reducing it to a PSP)? The battery life is a trainwreck and will be one of the many things to ensure the 3DS as the next virtual boy bomb.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

right4dead
lol say that to the gamecube and virtual boy
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zanoh

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

runbleduck

Typical Nintendo apologist. What kind of fools pays a premium $250 price tag just to play regular DS games or with 3D turned off (thus effectively reducing it to a PSP)? The battery life is a trainwreck and will be one of the many things to ensure the 3DS as the next virtual boy bomb.

*raises hand* There is nothing wrong with playing old games on a new gen handheld or console. Hence I still have a 60 gb PS3. And if people want to play with 3D off, let them. Who are you to tell them what to do with their purchase? As for the virtual boy bomb remark: The system already is sold out in Japan, and North American pre-orders are filled....the Virtual Boy never even SAW that success....

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#46 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Battery life can be increased by toning down the features, such as the brightness and 3D effects. The old DS also drained battery power quickly if the brightest setting is used.

As for games, well, the DS didn't exactly have an impressive library either at launch back in 2004.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

The 3DS will still probably sell well but I dont know if it will sell as much as the DS. The DS sold so much because of the same reason the wii did. A pretty cheap console with a cool gimick. The 3DS is doing the same with 3D but because of all the issues with your eyes and all that I think parents would rather just stick with the regular DS for their kids. Also I think the NGP is going to do a lot better this time around than the psp because Sony has put thier name out in the handheld world and with all the cool features that come with it I think more core gamers will prefer the better graphics and dual analog. Oh yeah and the 3DS is expensive as hell.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I don't think we'll still be talking about the price and battery life of the 3DS once the figures for the NGP are released. Just a guess though.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

the 3ds is the best position to sell the price is not high its most likely going to be less then the NGP

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
this video convinced me to get the 3DS on launch. And yes, the game is a launch titleNintendoNite
With only 1 stick it looks like a pain to play...good luck with that.