The Next Elder Scrolls

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

Oblivion was amazing for it's time...there was no other RPG like it on any system. And a lot of ppl enjoyed Fable 2 since it has a average score of 88.

jethrovegas

Not to me, and probably not to anyone else who has more than a cursory knowledge of the role playing genre. If it is the first game of its kind you have ever played, then yes, I can see where you might think it is amazing, just as someone who has just discovered literature might consider Twilight to be an incredibly well written masterpiece; not indicting you, necessarily, just in general.

Also, how does Fable 2's average score preclude it from being a piece of ****? I do not believe that the ill-informed and poorly thought out opinion of some candy ass reviewer somewhere immediately supersedes my own, or that of anyone else who cares to voice their honest and reasoned thoughts about a game.

Twilight was an absolutely brilliant piece of literature! Right up there with Shakespeare!
BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 BURSTIIIFIRE
Member since 2007 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

Oblivion was amazing for it's time...there was no other RPG like it on any system. And a lot of ppl enjoyed Fable 2 since it has a average score of 88.

jethrovegas

Not to me, and probably not to anyone else who has more than a cursory knowledge of the role playing genre. If it is the first game of its kind you have ever played, then yes, I can see where you might think it is amazing, just as someone who has just discovered literature might consider Twilight to be an incredibly well written masterpiece; not indicting you, necessarily, just in general.

Also, how does Fable 2's average score preclude it from being a piece of ****? I do not believe that the ill-informed and poorly thought out opinion of some candy ass reviewer somewhere immediately supersedes my own, or that of anyone else who cares to voice their honest and reasoned thoughts about a game.

lol wow, so much hatred...it's like these games affected you personally. No Oblivion is not the first of it's kind that I have played but there is a reason why it's rated so high.

From the GS review: "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is simply one of the best role-playing games ever made."

Fable 2 average score is made by 100s of reviewers so you are trying to tell me that they are all "ill-informed"?.

So please stop trying to treat your opinion as a FACT.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Member since 2009 • 568 Posts
By the nine! There is a murderer on the loose! Anyone recognize this? Lol
TheDogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TheDogout
Member since 2010 • 807 Posts
[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]

Oblivion was a great game. In my opinion, one of the greatest RPG's of all time. When do you guys think the next one will come out? Also, do you have any thoughts on where the game will be set? Personally, I think it will release with the next gen.

110million
If its the greatest, it must also be the only one you've played. Its not even the best ES game..

Man i hate peoples opinions. IMO it was the best
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
Oblivion was my first elder scrolls game but it made me want more and I cant wait for the next. I was dissappointed with fallout but it was just not the same. I cant wait for the next ES
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

lol wow, so much hatred...it's like these games affected you personally. No Oblivion is not the first of it's kind that I have played but there is a reason why it's rated so high.

From the GS review: "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is simply one of the best role-playing games ever made."

Fable 2 average score is made by 100s of reviewers so you are trying to tell me that they are all "ill-informed"?.

BURSTIIIFIRE

I'm not treating my opinion as fact. I'm treating as an opinion, and one just as valid and worthy of consideration (moreso, in my estimation) than the collective entirety of the great pantywaist reviewer's assembly on MetaCriticRankingsSuperLand, or whatever other money site you get your amazing "facts" from.

You can lead a dog to warm milk, but you can't make him drink it before it gets cold; by the same token, my opinion is not only equal to that of these reviewers, but actually quite superior, in the sense that I am not bound by hype, nor consideration of readership, nor adversting dollars, nor publisher pressure, and if you'd like to say that none of these things affect professional reviewers then I would like to say that you are ill-informed, and should perhaps study the nature of gaming criticism more thoroughly before naming mere men as gods whose very opinions are diamonds set in stone, whose very words are liquid gold dripping down to the poor ignorant masses below.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BURSTIIIFIRE

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

jethrovegas

I'm not treating my opinion as fact. I'm treating as an opinion, and one just as valid and worthy of consideration (moreso, in my estimation) than the collective entirety of the great pantywaist reviewer's assembly on MetaCriticRankingsSuperLand, or whatever other money site you get your amazing "facts" from.

You can lead a dog to warm milk, but you can't make him drink it before it gets cold; by the same token, my opinion is not only equal to that of these reviewers, but actually quite superior, in the sense that I am not bound by hype, nor consideration of readership, nor adversting dollars, nor publisher pressure, and if you'd like to say that none of these things affect professional reviewers then I would like to say that you are ill-informed, and should perhaps study the nature of gaming criticism more thoroughly before naming mere men as gods whose very opinions are diamonds set in stone, whose very words are liquid gold dripping down to the poor ignorant masses below.

"my opinion is not only equal to that of these reviewers, but actually quite superior" LMAO...are you serious? Well if you want to be treated superior than why don't you write a 2 page detailed review of the game...than i'll take you seriously.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

"my opinion is not only equal to that of these reviewers, but actually quite superior" LMAO...are you serious? Well if you want to be treated superior than why don't you write a 2 page detailed review of the game...than i'll take you seriously.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Ok, you asked for it.

-

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - a spur of the moment review by jethrovegas

-

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the direct sequel to, you guessed it, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and is, by any reasonable measure, both an immense dissappointment and a terrible game in its own right.

Advertised as the ultimate in "next-gen" role playing, Oblivion fails to deliver on just about every promise the developers made, besides looking pretty, and is sure to be an astounding letdown not only fans of Morrowind and Daggefall, but anyone with a taste for quality gaming.

Let us run down the list of failures and letdowns:

-Radiant AI-

Bethesda decided to follow in the footsteps of their esteemed colleague, a Mr. Molyneux, on this one. Promised engaging real-time AI behavior (look, the dog barks, so the woman gets mad and shoots it with a fireball!) we were delivered nothing less than some of the most hysterically awful and amazingly stupid AI ever seen in a modern role playing game.

"Why sir, I've just knocked you unconscious in an attempt to kill you without realising that the developers deemed you essential!"

"Oh, nevermind that, it was merely a flesh wound, I'm quite alright, and, not only that, I'm quite immortal, so you can bash me over the head with that mace as many times as you'd like, and I'll just stand right back up, alive and well, and entirely forgiving."

Yes Todd, that's quite some brilliant work. :roll:

-The World-

Morrowind featured one of the most interesting, unique, and engrossing gameworlds in the history of the medium. Oblivion features a bunch of rolling hills and endlessly copy pasted dungeons, with the same exact feeling of place everywhere you go.

Where is the splendor, the grand sense of dislocation, of exploring an alien world? Where is the attention to culture, to society, to political background? What happened to all of the ingenious level design and fascinating architecture?

Now all I see are tiny, poorly detailed cities, prefaced by loading screens, devoid of interest or enthusiasm, built only in the perfunctory sense that a Pez dispenser is built, and with about the same care and attention to detail.

Really, this tiny city that stands as a mere piss stain in comparison to Vivec is the heart and soul of the Empire? Get the **** out.

-The Leveling System-

Not content with having turned their gameworld into a boring generic pile of weaksauce, Bethesda set out to strip the game not only of any challenge, but of any sense of meaningful progress, with the worst and most poorly implemented levelling system I can imagine.

Want to be Grand Champion of the Arena at level 1? Go for it champ, the walls are padded!

Want to rule the Dark Brotherhood with an iron fist without even trying to build yourself into anything even remotely formidable? You are in luck good sir, you can start right away?

Want to feel as if the game is rewarding you for all of your long hours spent playing it? Oh, so sorry champ, you will always be in the exact same spot, because the game is always following you, watching right over your shoulder to ensure that you never have any challenge, or, heavens forbid, a tangible sense of progression.

It isn't just that this feature is poorly implemented; it was a terrible ****ing idea to begin with.

-The Main Quest-

Ah yes, the crowning achievement in idiocy, the cream of the **** the best of the very, absolute worst, the main event, if you will.

In a twist of plot that is not generic or overdone in the least, the myriad forces of hell invade the otherwise lovely land of Tamriel and begin destroying, what, exactly? Oh yes, nothing, besides a single scripted event, outside of which they merely mill around their gates waiting for you destroy them in various combat slogs.

And oh my, what slogs they are. Gate after gate, after goddamn gate, of the same thing over and over again, ad infintum, until the rest of the garbage the game throws at you looks great by comparison.

At some point one must begin to question their own tolerance for mindless, idiotic repetition. I know I did.

-Conclusion-

To be perfectly honest, I could go on for pages and pages longer about everything that is wrong with this game, and it is only the constrains of this debate and my strong desire to go have a nice cup of tea that prevents me from doing so.

Suffice it to say Oblivion is trash, and anyone who enjoyed Morrowind will hate it greatly.

FINAL SCORE:

Irredeemable garbage out of 10

-

Alright chap, what say we have ourselves a debate?

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Review

jethrovegas

A very well-written review, I must admit, but I have to disagree ever-so-slightly. While I agree with your complaints about the game, I loved Morrowind, and I still found some fun moments in Oblivion, enough to justify over 500 hours of my life. Granted, a good number of those 600 hours were filled with boredom or groan-inducing bad design - all covered rather well in your review - but I still didn't quite think Oblivion was the pile of steamy garbage you say. It was merely adequate, in my opinion; it killed my boredom, and it gave me another game of this type.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
I'm more interested on the Daggerfall engine remake (DaggerXL) than the next The Elder Scrolls. I think the fifth chapter will be even more shallow RPG-wise than Oblivion is. :lol:
BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BURSTIIIFIRE

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

jethrovegas

Ok, you asked for it.

-

-

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the direct sequel to, you guessed it, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and is, by any reasonable measure, both an immense dissappointment and a terrible game in its own right.

Advertised as the ultimate in "next-gen" role playing, Oblivion fails to deliver on just about every promise the developers made, besides looking pretty, and is sure to be an astounding letdown not only fans of Morrowind and Daggefall, but anyone with a taste for quality gaming.

-Radiant AI-

Bethesda decided to follow in the footsteps of their esteemed colleague, a Mr. Molyneux, on this one. Promised engaging real-time AI behavior (look, the dog barks, so the woman gets mad and shoots it with a fireball!) we were delivered nothing less than some of the most hysterically awful and amazingly stupid AI ever seen in a modern role playing game.

"Why sir, I've just knocked you unconscious in an attempt to kill you without realising that the developers deemed you essential!"

"Oh, nevermind that, it was merely a flesh wound, I'm quite alright, and, not only that, I'm quite immortal, so you can bash me over the head with that mace as many times as you'd like, and I'll just stand right back up, alive and well, and entirely forgiving."

-The World-

Morrowind featured one of the most interesting, unique, and engrossing gameworlds in the history of the medium. Oblivion features a bunch of rolling hills and endlessly copy pasted dungeons, with the same exact feeling of place everywhere you go.

Where is the splendor, the grand sense of dislocation, of exploring an alien world? Where is the attention to culture, to society, to political background? What happened to all of the ingenious level design and fascinating architecture?

Now all I see are tiny, poorly detailed cities, prefaced by loading screens, devoid of interest or enthusiasm, built only in the perfunctory sense that a Pez dispenser is built, and with about the same care and attention to detail.

Really, this tiny city that stands as a mere piss stain in comparison to Vivec is the heart and soul of the Empire? Get the **** out.

-The Leveling System-

Not content with having turned their gameworld into a boring generic pile of weaksauce, Bethesda set out to strip the game not only of any challenge, but of any sense of meaningful progress, with the worst and most poorly implemented levelling system I can imagine.

Want to be Grand Champion of the Arena at level 1? Go for it champ, the walls are padded!

Want to rule the Dark Brotherhood with an iron fist without even trying to build yourself into anything even remotely formidable? You are in luck good sir, you can start right away?

Want to feel as if the game is rewarding you for all of your long hours spent playing it? Oh, so sorry champ, you will always be in the exact same spot, because the game is always following you, watching right over your shoulder to ensure that you never have any challenge, or, heavens forbid, a tangible sense of progression.

It isn't just that this feature is poorly implemented; it was a terrible ****ing idea to begin with.

-The Main Quest-

Ah yes, the crowning achievement in idiocy, the cream of the **** the best of the very, absolute worst, the main event, if you will.

In a twist of plot that is not generic or overdone in the least, the myriad forces of hell invade the otherwise lovely land of Tamriel and begin destroying, what, exactly? Oh yes, nothing, besides a single scripted event, outside of which they merely mill around their gates waiting for you destroy them in various combat slogs.

And oh my, what slogs they are. Gate after gate, after goddamn gate, of the same thing over and over again, ad infintum, until the rest of the garbage the game throws at you looks great by comparison.

At some point one must begin to question their own tolerance for mindless, idiotic repetition. I know I did.

-Conclusion-

To be perfectly honest, I could go on for pages and pages longer about everything that is wrong with this game, and it is only the constrains of this debate and my strong desire to go have a nice cup of tea that prevents me from doing so.

Suffice it to say Oblivion is trash, and anyone who enjoyed Morrowind will hate it greatly.

FINAL SCORE:

-

lol you actually wrote one...props to you for that. Anyways yes some points are valid complaints but you didn't even say a single thing good about the game...surely they did something right. I actually enjoyed just riding around the world and some side quests were very fun...and the combat was much better than Morrowind. Did you just play the game recently or at launch? Because right now the game feels really dated but when it came out back in 2006...it was a huge technical achievement.

TravJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TravJon
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

jethrovegas

Ok, you asked for it.

-

-

-Radiant AI-

-The World-

-The Leveling System-

-The Main Quest-

-Conclusion-

FINAL SCORE:

-

If this game is Irredeemable garbage I'd hate to think what other games are :shock:

Oblivion is still one of my favorite games, and yes I've spent just as much time playing Morrowind. Oblivion just appeals to me more

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Oblivion was a great game. In my opinion, one of the greatest RPG's of all time

IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Oblivion was a great RPG? Opinions or not, lul. Even with mods fixing the complete broken qualities of the game, it was still a shell of its predecessor Morrowind, and I'm sure Bethesda fans would point out Daggerfall for its greatness.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#64 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

jethrovegas

Ok, you asked for it.

-

-

-Radiant AI-

-The World-

-The Leveling System-

-The Main Quest-

-Conclusion-

FINAL SCORE:

-

That,my friend,is exactly how I feel about oblivion.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BURSTIIIFIRE

[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]

Oblivion was a great game. In my opinion, one of the greatest RPG's of all time

skrat_01

Oblivion was a great RPG? Opinions or not, lul. Even with mods fixing the complete broken qualities of the game, it was still a shell of its predecessor Morrowind, and I'm sure Bethesda fans would point out Daggerfall for its greatness.

The reviews say different...but of course the reviews don't mean crap to you, right?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 skrat_01

The reviews say different...but of course the reviews don't mean crap to you, right?

BURSTIIIFIRE
Believe it or not reviewers are gamers too. Games can have their faults completely overshadowed, I respect critics opinions, however I make my own judgments on the game. As people do. Which is why Oblivion has received such a hostile backlash, and continues to do so.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#67 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14903 Posts
Oblivion has its flaws no doubt............but it is one of the most influential RPGs ever made. That is a fact. The Shivering Isles is great however, much iimproved questline to Oblivions main quest. This game was also great for the modding community, so a good mod will erase a flaw or two.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 skrat_01
Oblivion has its flaws no doubt............but it is one of the most influential RPGs ever made. That is a fact.texasgoldrush
How? What has been its influence since its release? To be perfectly honest compared to a game like World of Warcraft, Oblivion's influence has been minor - my point being game design influence however.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#69 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

If they dare to make another Elder Scrolls, they better not screw it up. And I want to see some sea travel! :evil:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Never been a fan of bethesdas games. I can not get into ES1, Daggerfall, Marrowind, Oblivion or Fallout 3. They were so dreadfully boring to me personally. So honestly I won't have high hopes for Elder Scrolls V is it?
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

Arach666

Ok, you asked for it.

-

-

-Radiant AI-

-The World-

-The Leveling System-

-The Main Quest-

-Conclusion-

FINAL SCORE:

-

That,my friend,is exactly how I feel about oblivion.

I don't know about Irredeemable Garbage, but the game is very bad. It's like they didn't playtest, just put together a bunch of ideas that sound pretty good and then not see if they are or are not.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#72 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

I don't care as long as it's not a MMO.

I think Oblivion is a lousy RPG, but as a dungeon crawler or action-adventure game it's pretty great.

Baranga
Thats what i am worried about. Bethesda should of announced TES5 if it was being made..but they haven't said anything. Very odd. And isn't Their paraent company Zenimax making an mmo... i hope its not TES.. it needs to stay sp only!!! They also need to make it have more personality like fallout 3 or morrowind had.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#73 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Its one of my most antecipated games atm but i would love it to come to the next gen consaoles. Probably 2012/2013

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I have no idea how anyone can call Oblivion mediocre or even worse than Morrowind. Morrowind was junk and had the worst combat system in a game ever. Yes I've played both extensively
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Never been a fan of bethesdas games. I can not get into ES1, Daggerfall, Marrowind, Oblivion or Fallout 3. They were so dreadfully boring to me personally.jg4xchamp

This is pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I've only played a bit of Morrowind but can someone please tell me why Morrowind is considered the best TES game?

Oh, and for TES 5 I'd like to see:

1) Better customization

2) Better ANIMATION. Good God, the animation in TES and Fallout series suck.

3) More sidequests.

4) Better story... honestly, the main story feels more like the story in a sidequest.

5) A smaller world (with less "filler" areas) but with more interesting locales and better graphics.

6) Remove the Barter/Speech mini-game completely. They are terrible.

7) Races that don't suck...

8) Better combat system and levelling up/stat boosting system.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#77 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I have no idea how anyone can call Oblivion mediocre or even worse than Morrowind. Morrowind was junk and had the worst combat system in a game ever. Yes I've played both extensivelytomarlyn

I agree with this, Oblivion is a fantastic game. I have been playing W and JRPGs since early 90s. Oblivion is the reason why WRPGs are by far my favourite genre atm. I have spent more than 400 hours on it

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#78 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
You should try morrowind, fans all agree it was better. About the next Elder scrolls.... well i hope it's befor 2012 and i hope it's as good as morrowind.
wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 wintermute0
Member since 2010 • 302 Posts
I honestly don't understand why so many people claim that Oblivion is mediocre. I know that it's always cooler to like the older games in a series, but I honestly don't think this kind of fanboyism is justified in this situation. Oblvion is pretty deep and involving; I've gotten lost in it a few times over the course of it's release. I also agree that Oblivion was better than Morrowind. I think the main story quests were much better in Morrowind [Oblivion's story was terrible] but the side-quests were very involving. Out of all the quests in Morrowind, I don't think any of them were as memorable as the "Paranoia" quest in Oblivion. In my opinion, Morrowind was mediocre compared to Oblivion. On topic: I could see it coming out in 2011, and I don't think it'll be an MMO.
CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Next Elder Scrolls will be out for this gen and maybe in 2011-12.

They said they re working for next Elder Scrolls game for some years now and this is why they gave Obsidian the development

of next Fallout game.So both next Elder Scrolls game and Fallout New Vegas will be published for this gen.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Member since 2009 • 568 Posts
I hope it is published this gen, but I would be satisfied waiting till next gen to make sure everything is good
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I hope it is published this gen, but I would be satisfied waiting till next gen to make sure everything is goodIIRS3II_H1TMAN
If its released this gen then hermits will complain about the PC version being held back.