The Next Elder Scrolls

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Member since 2009 • 568 Posts

Oblivion was a great game. In my opinion, one of the greatest RPG's of all time. When do you guys think the next one will come out? Also, do you have any thoughts on where the game will be set? Personally, I think it will release with the next gen.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Oblivion was a great game. In my opinion, one of the greatest RPG's of all time. When do you guys think the next one will come out? Also, do you have any thoughts on where the game will be set? Personally, I think it will release with the next gen.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN
If its the greatest, it must also be the only one you've played. Its not even the best ES game..
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I don't care as long as it's not a MMO.

I think Oblivion is a lousy RPG, but as a dungeon crawler or action-adventure game it's pretty great.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]

If its the greatest, it must also be the only one you've played. Its not even the best ES game..

Yeah, it is the only one I have played. Out of all the RPGs I've played it's one of my all time favorites.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Hopefully they make it better than mediocre.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

i'd say next gen or 2012, can't imagine it being very soon, as they are already busy with brink and Fallout New vegas (Most anticipated title) is due this fall

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]

110million

alot of people thought it was better because when you swung a sword, you actually hit what you were pointing at, and not depending on a diceroll like morrowind

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

i'd say next gen or 2012, can't imagine it being very soon, as they are already busy with brink and Fallout New vegas (Most anticipated title) is due this fall

DoomZaW
Obsidian is making New Vegas. I'm assuming that Beth is working on a TES MMO due to the rumors that keep coming up. :(
IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Which was the best Elder Scrolls game? Maybe I should check them out. For the PC right?
Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

DoomZaW

Bethesda aren't developing those, they are publishing them...

Morrowind is the best.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15558 Posts

I want specializing to actually be good. Playing a stealthy type is great for the first few levels, but after that backstabs don't do nearly enough damage, and enemies will kick your ass in a fair fight, especially in the oblivion portals. Same with mages. Playing a straight warrior is more balanced but it's also very very boring. Swing sword a billion times, block when attacked, swing a billion more times.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

SparkyProtocol
Obsidian is making New Vegas. I'm assuming that Beth is working on a TES MMO due to the rumors that keep coming up. :(

ZeniMax Online Studios is working on an MMO, not Bethesda.
suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

I don't care as long as it's not a MMO.

I think Oblivion is a lousy RPG, but as a dungeon crawler or action-adventure game it's pretty great.

well said bro
IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IIRS3II_H1TMAN

I want specializing to actually be good. Playing a stealthy type is great for the first few levels, but after that backstabs don't do nearly enough damage, and enemies will kick your ass in a fair fight, especially in the oblivion portals. Same with mages. Playing a straight warrior is more balanced but it's also very very boring. Swing sword a billion times, block when attacked, swing a billion more times.

Vaasman
What do you mean? like what you put your attribute points in to? or something different?
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

I just don't want to get a freakin mmo.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
I am hoping that they have a 4 player co-op so we can at least play with our friends. What do you guys think?
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15558 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

What do you mean? like what you put your attribute points in to? or something different?

I mean your almost forced to learn skills from the 3 trees. How else can a warrior get into a chest unless he learns lock picking? And he'll be using a billion potions unless he learns healing magic. One of my biggest complaints with oblivion is that you are basically forced to play a little stealth, a little mage, and a little warrior. If you don't the game becomes severily unbalanced against you. For a game that supposedly lets you play how you want, it sure punishes you a lot for learning only skills specific to stealth, or magic, or fighting.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#18 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

I disagree, on a personal level for me, Oblivion was a step back from Morrowind in terms of the exploration and RPG factor.

Sure it was alright as an action RPG, but it was NO WHERE as captivating as morrowind was for its time.

Hopefully in the next elder scroll they can go back to their elder scrolls roots.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Next Gen.

Elder Scrolls games take a long time to make, what with having to place every little single item and all. And also, I think Bethesda took a beating from the fans over Oblivion (it's obvious they fixed a few fan-gripes with the engine with Fallout 3, example: interior lighting changes with exterior lighting, and exterior windows lighting up at night) and I hope they took to heart a few other gripes (no spears, etc.) so I wouldn't be suprised if they wait for the next consoles so they can do a better job at what will be expected by all to be better than all they've done before.

Bethesda is obviously a multi-plat developer these days, so I do think they'll wait on the next Gen of consoles. They're going to babysit Fallout for the rest of this gen.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
I definitly think that Bethesda is one of the top developers of this gen
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

as long as they return to a more morrowind style i will be happy it was a much much much deeper game than oblivion which felt a tad shallowin some senses.Really they need to recapture the essence of morrowind tbh its one of the few games i would jump for joy like a girl like a jonas bros concer for(if they did a remake)

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I disagree, on a personal level for me, Oblivion was a step back from Morrowind in terms of the exploration and RPG factor.

Sure it was alright as an action RPG, but it was NO WHERE as captivating as morrowind was for its time.

Hopefully in the next elder scroll they can go back to their elder scrolls roots.

Dead-Memories

I agree if you're talking about Vanilla. If you add a bunch of mods and ignore the main quest completely (just hold on to the Amulet of Kings, do nothing with it) it becomes a better game.

I miss the way lore was intertwined with the gameplay in Morrowind. I miss beast races looking like beast races, I miss spears, and I miss the open cities and varied environments. I do NOT miss the combat system or the 'stand here all day and night' NPCs.

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
It's not coming out this year. New Vegas is the only noteworthy game being published by Bethesda in 2010.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I think Oblivion is a lousy RPG, but as a dungeon crawler it's pretty great.

Baranga

Wow, I mean wow.

Have you ever played a dungeon crawler man?

Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

I'm hoping to hear something about ESV at this E3, but that's just wishful thinking...

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
Make Oblivion open ended. Maybe it's just me, but linear RPGs are the absolute worst games you can play.
mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
2011 perhaps, but it's pretty early to know
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Yandere

Wow, I mean wow.

Yes, including the first two ES games. I'd take Oblivion's mini-dungeons over Daggerfall's neverending labyrinths anytime. They're atmospheric and overall well-made. The only flaw is that the loot is leveled - but that's easily solved by a mod or two. I like the combat and the first person exploration. I like stumbling upon a mini-quest. And Mehrunes' Razor is great.

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts
[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]

110million

I disagree. I've played them all, Oblivion may not be the deepest but it's definitely the most fun I've ever had out of any game in the series.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

This gen you can't really improve Oblvion, so next gem seems likely

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I put over 1,200 hours into Morrowind and over 600 hours into Oblivion. It's not my favorite franchise, but its easily the one that I've sunk the most time into. I see a late 2011/early 2012 release, but I'm more than willing to wait for a next-gen release if that's what they need to do it right. I just hope it's not an MMO. Oh, and I think that Morrowind is the best in the series.
Trigger_Hppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Trigger_Hppy
Member since 2007 • 847 Posts

In my opinion, Oblivion is a stellar game, and is a great ROLE-playing game, but not a great RPG...

In other words, I enjoy making different characters (stealth, magic, fighter), but the actual "leveling-up" side to the game is a bit of a letdown. Just my two cents, still one of my all time favsies though...

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Baranga

Wow, I mean wow.

Yes, including the first two ES games. I'd take Oblivion's mini-dungeons over Daggerfall's neverending labyrinths anytime. They're atmospheric and overall well-made. The only flaw is that the loot is leveled - but that's easily solved by a mod or two. I like the combat and the first person exploration. I like stumbling upon a mini-quest. And Mehrunes' Razor is great.

None of the ES games are dungeon cawlers, a game having dungeon exploration does not make it a dungeon crawler.

Play:

Ishar, Lands of Lore, Wizardry, Ravenloft, The Realms of Arkania, Secret of the Silver Blades, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Galdregon's Domain, Dragon Wars, Anvil of Dawn, Dark Heart of Uurkrul, Swords of Glass, Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan, Moraff's World, Devil Whisky, Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, Class of Heroes, Elminage, Madou Monogatari, etc

Those are Dungeon Crawlers.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I put over 1,200 hours into Morrowind and over 600 hours into Oblivion. It's not my favorite franchise, but its easily the one that I've sunk the most time into. I see a late 2011/early 2012 release, but I'm more than willing to wait for a next-gen release if that's what they need to do it right. I just hope it's not an MMO. Oh, and I think that Morrowind is the best in the series.

the only thing i didn't like in oblivion was the fast travel system. While playing morrowind i got a huge sense of being in a massive world and i was temped to explore and find new towns and city's.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

I think Bethesda and the games industry in general underestimate gamers. They assume for a game to sell it needs to be dumbed down, which i don't think is true.

As long as it's an interesting concept, well advertised it will sell.

Hopefully they go back to the Morrowind roots.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Maybe never. I can't say I care too much for another ES game.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Make Oblivion open ended. Maybe it's just me, but linear RPGs are the absolute worst games you can play.R3FURBISHED

It's just you.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Vaasman
this has been my biggest gripe with elderscrolls at least since morrowind prior to that i think i only played a little bit, but it seems like all the skill sets are some sort of supplement to hitting things with a sword.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
If not 2011, then next gen.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#41 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Wow, I mean wow.

Yandere

None of the ES games are dungeon cawlers, a game having dungeon exploration does not make it a dungeon crawler.

Play:

Ishar, Lands of Lore, Wizardry, Ravenloft, The Realms of Arkania, Secret of the Silver Blades, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Galdregon's Domain, Dragon Wars, Anvil of Dawn, Dark Heart of Uurkrul, Swords of Glass, Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan, Moraff's World, Devil Whisky, Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, Class of Heroes, Elminage, Madou Monogatari, etc

Stop leaving out the big pink elephant in the room known as Diablo! :( (or do you mean first person)
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

SparkyProtocol

Play:

Stop leaving out the big pink elephant in the room known as Diablo! :( (or do you mean first person)

Everyone already knows about Diablo.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts
I am hoping that they have a 4 player co-op so we can at least play with our friends. What do you guys think?IIRS3II_H1TMAN
I totally agree. ES is so obviously inspired by classic high fantasy, and the group (fellowship, if you will) is almost always central to those books.
Avatar image for positivebalance
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 positivebalance
Member since 2010 • 2352 Posts

Hopefully they make it better than mediocre.Zero5000X

oblivion wasn't mediocre. it was the first triple-a RPG this generation and from a technical standpoint, was light years ahead of anything when it first released.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Oblivion was a piece of ****.

Everything about it screamed "failure", from the copy pasted dungeons, the terrible leveling system, the padded world that didn't let you actually harm anything or have any bad outcomes, the moronic AI, the underwhelming cities (really, this is the great Imperial City? It's smaller than Vivec for **** sake!) the sloppy, mostly awful quest design (excepting only the Dark Brotherhood, which was decent), the terrible main quest where you trudged through badly designed hell gate after badly designed hell gate, the uninspired, lifeless gameworld (after Morrowind? Seriously?), the terrible inventory, the bad dialogue, the weak story, the bad and extremely sparse voice acting, I could go on and on, for pages, probably.

Outside of Fable 2, it's probably the worst Hype Train ar-pay-jay this generation, and, much like Fable 2, it doesn't even qualify as part of the genre, nor accomplish anything of worth outside of the genre, given that it is both an incredible letdown and an immense pool of horse vomit in its own right.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BURSTIIIFIRE
Member since 2007 • 2025 Posts

Oblivion was a piece of ****.

Everything about it screamed "failure", from the copy pasted dungeons, the terrible leveling system, the padded world that didn't let you actually harm anything or have any bad outcomes, the moronic AI, the underwhelming cities (really, this is the great Imperial City? It's smaller than Vivec for **** sake!) the sloppy, mostly awful quest design (excepting only the Dark Brotherhood, which was decent), the terrible main quest where you trudged through badly designed hell gate after badly designed hell gate, the uninspired, lifeless gameworld (after Morrowind? Seriously?), the terrible inventory, the bad dialogue, the weak story, the bad and extremely sparse voice acting, I could go on and on, for pages, probably.

Outside of Fable 2, it's probably the worst Hype Train ar-pay-jay this generation, and, much like Fable 2, it doesn't even qualify as part of the genre, nor accomplish anything of worth outside of the genre, given that it is both an incredible letdown and an immense pool of horse vomit in its own right.

jethrovegas

Oblivion was amazing for it's time...there was no other RPG like it on any system. And a lot of ppl enjoyed Fable 2 since it has a average score of 88.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I put over 1,200 hours into Morrowind and over 600 hours into Oblivion. It's not my favorite franchise, but its easily the one that I've sunk the most time into. I see a late 2011/early 2012 release, but I'm more than willing to wait for a next-gen release if that's what they need to do it right. I just hope it's not an MMO. Oh, and I think that Morrowind is the best in the series.

the only thing i didn't like in oblivion was the fast travel system. While playing morrowind i got a huge sense of being in a massive world and i was temped to explore and find new towns and city's.

Something about Oblivion really bothered me after a while, and I could never quite place my finger on what, exactly, it was. It was still a great game worth every bit of my 600 hours, but there's a huge reason I put twice that much time into Morrowind. Morrowind just made exploration and adventure a lot more fun than Oblivion, where I found myself more often using fast travel (until I beat the main campaign with any given character).
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts
I hope that it'll be 2011. Sounds like a good time.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jalexbrown
I hope that it'll be 2011. Sounds like a good time.Stevo_the_gamer
There's been a four-to-six year window between Elder Scrolls games, so I'd say it's a fair bet that it will be late 2011 or early 2012.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Oblivion was amazing for it's time...there was no other RPG like it on any system. And a lot of ppl enjoyed Fable 2 since it has a average score of 88.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Not to me, and probably not to anyone else who has more than a cursory knowledge of the role playing genre. If it is the first game of its kind you have ever played, then yes, I can see where you might think it is amazing, just as someone who has just discovered literature might consider Twilight to be an incredibly well written masterpiece; not indicting you, necessarily, just in general.

Also, how does Fable 2's average score preclude it from being a piece of ****? I do not believe that the ill-informed and poorly thought out opinion of some candy ass reviewer somewhere immediately supersedes my own, or that of anyone else who cares to voice their honest and reasoned thoughts about a game.