The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype Thread (HYPE: AAAAE) (HYPE MET!!!!) (97 on Metacritic)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#751  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

As usual with mega-hyped games, I hope it either gets a 10, or a 7 and below. Please don't bore us with the 9.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#752 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

As usual with mega-hyped games, I hope it either gets a 10, or a 7 and below. Please don't bore us with the 9.

An 8 can absolutely entertain us. Even if it's the same 4 or 5 idiots who can't accept 8 is a totally good score for just about any game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#753 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp said:

An 8 can absolutely entertain us. Even if it's the same 4 or 5 idiots who can't accept 8 is a totally good score for just about any game.

"But we have to live with that score!!!"

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#754  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

..haven't "hyped" a game in a while... Anyway.. I'll go with AAAAE. If this game is as good as I believe it will be. [I'll know in a few days]

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yup, 1-7 or 10. If it is one of those 2, we win. An 8 or 9 would get boring fast.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 ConanTheStoner

@Maroxad:

Yeah, secretly I'm hoping for a lower score even though I hyped it 10 lol. I know we have very few sheep around here, but the ones we do have are pretty damn funny when they get wound up.

I think 9 or 10 is almost guaranteed at this point though, so hopefully the 10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#757 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

That's scamp talk, Conan! :O

Are you going to be picking up the game?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 jg4xchamp
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

"But we have to live with that score!!!"

hahahaha, it's compromising the integrity of the metascore

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@jumpaction said:

@ConanTheStoner:

That's scamp talk, Conan! :O

Are you going to be picking up the game?

lol I just don't care about scores beyond fanboy entertainment. There's something almost therapeutic about watching people argue over a number that crudely represents one persons opinion.

And yeah, definitely, pre-ordered it and the Switch the moment they were available. This has been one of my more anticipated games for a few years now. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it right away. Huge workload these next few weeks and I still haven't finished Nioh.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

hahahaha, it's compromising the integrity of the metascore

Still the best gamer video ever lol.

Loading Video...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Question #7: Is the mysterious character in brown clothes the same person that gives us the sword in the first Zelda game?

Since Breath of the Wild takes a lot from the very first Zelda game, where you’re also completely free to go wherever you want, people have often asked me whether the old man was the same that the one who gives you the first sword in the original Zelda game, or a mere reference.

I can confirm it’s a different character. He plays an extremely important role in the story, as he’s the one that influences Link’s destiny. He’s such an important character that I wrote his dialogue lines myself.

Shit just got real.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ConanTheStoner:

I'm not all too bothered either. I just bury my head in the sand until people get bored of the critical reception a few months later. :P

Will you add me as a friend on the Nintendo Switch when it launches? :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 jg4xchamp
@ConanTheStoner said:

. There's something almost therapeutic about watching people argue over a number that crudely represents one persons opinion.

While fucking ignoring it when a game they dislike gets a high ass number.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@jg4xchamp:

From what I have read, it's not a matter of being ignorant when a score is unfavorable to them, they just invent some kind of scenario to downplay the score like "X franchise is always highly overrated by critics because of nostalgia. Or Y publisher pays this publication."

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 jg4xchamp

@jumpaction said:

@jg4xchamp:

From what I have read, it's not a matter of being ignorant when a score is unfavorable to them, they just invent some kind of scenario to downplay the score like "X franchise is always highly overrated by critics because of nostalgia. Or Y publisher pays this publication."

Oh I know, I'm just saying it's hilarious how much investment people still put into this shit. While posting on a forum, where you constantly see more diverse opinions on a game, almost like you shouldn't go in thinking the game is bulletproof or devoid of being criticized.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 ConanTheStoner
@jumpaction said:

Will you add me as a friend on the Nintendo Switch when it launches? :)

Definitely! Just understand that I'm a shady mofo and a reclusive gamer lol.

The only time I've gamed with someone on SW (that I know of) was when they showed up in a random match of Toxxic when that game came out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@jg4xchamp:

It's quite silly, really. :P

I don't get it. What's the point? People put too much stock in the opinions of others to support their own beliefs.

@ConanTheStoner:

I am going to follow you into every game until eventually you get completely sick of me. :|

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#768 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

It sounds like this is the best Zelda game since OoT, which is dope.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 ConanTheStoner

@jumpaction:

lol it's all good.

I dunno, I used to love online gaming, having my friends on all the time, all that good stuff. But I've gone back to game-time being me-time. Most of my favorite games are single player anyways. SFV is pretty much my only online game, and that's the furthest thing from social lol.

I still do MP, but I prefer local.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#770 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ConanTheStoner:

I can be much the same too. Breath of the Wild is totally going to be a 'me' game. A game I play just to unwind and enjoy myself.

But I also like multi-player games. I try not to be very competitive. I prefer to enjoy multi-player games casually.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#771 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Man, this better be a 10 or an 8. I wanna see people mad about this one way or the other :P

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

I think my hype has become full circle. I have been so overcome with hype that im starting to lose it. Like i am numb to hype now.

That and the fact it comes out in like 5 days when we have been waiting like 3+ years of delays...i almost can't believe it.

Although my biggest concern with the game is the weapon degrading. I don't understand the system....what's the incentive and fun to go out and find new gear/weapons if i can only use them for a little while and then they break on me never to be used again?

It just seems frustrating. Like if we eventually get the Master Sword (i honestly don't think we will. I think it will be used in the final boss or something but we wont actually get to use the weapon) will it just break and be lost forever!? Seems silly.

This is the thing i need answered the most. Hopefully they have a good reason for this.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#773 ConanTheStoner
@jumpaction said:

But I also like multi-player games. I try not to be very competitive. I prefer to enjoy multi-player games casually.

See, I go in with that mindset, but if I end up liking the game I start taking it too seriously lol. Similar to single player games, I feel the need to master a game with deeper systems. But at least with single player games I can hit a satisfying enough level at my own pace and there is an eventual "end" be it the highest difficulty level like Master Ninja mode in Ninja Gaiden, or going for Pure Platinum in Bayonetta.

With MP games it becomes a job to me and I have to keep up with the community, not get rusty, etc. I think this is one big factor in why I don't do online MP much anymore lol.

But with SFV I set up a clear limit for myself. Get to Gold rank and then just play casual matches / battle lounge from there. And this limit has worked wonders for me, I just play the game to enjoy the game. I even purposefully de-ranked to Silver to deal with less fierce competition lol. Yeah, yeah, that's kinda scummy, but it nets me the most enjoyment.

---

On the topic of weapon degradation in Zelda... I don't know what to think. Personally I've never enjoyed weapon degradation in any game. So glad that shit was removed from Nioh.

Maybe Zelda handles it in an enjoyable way?... I dunno, guess we'll see soon enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#774 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

In my experience, Zelda handles weapon degradation in a really good way.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#775 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605 said:

In my experience, Zelda handles weapon degradation in a really good way.

So I'm trying to stay blackout on this game, but knowing about how weapon degradation works won't kill me lol.

If you have some more detailed insight on it, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#776 smashed_pinata

@charizard1605 Yes please can you explain why you think it works well?

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:
@Blazed said:

I agree that Zelda is quality series but over hyped and outdated .. They'll rate it 9+ Just because it's Zelda and Nintendo.

How is it outdated?

The gameplay in Zelda is outdated it's not even up to current RPG standards in fact it barely passes for an RPG IMO.

@charizard1605 said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@Blazed said:

I agree that Zelda is quality series but over hyped and outdated .. They'll rate it 9+ Just because it's Zelda and Nintendo.

How is it outdated?

It's not. His trolling is, though

Said one of known trolls at Gamespot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#778 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

So I'm trying to stay blackout on this game, but knowing about how weapon degradation works won't kill me lol.

If you have some more detailed insight on it, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

@smashed_pinata said:

@charizard1605 Yes please can you explain why you think it works well?

Okay, just bear in mind that this was in a very short vertical slice- so it's possible that I would have gotten tired of this had I played it more, or had I stumbled upon a super cool looking weapon that I wanted to keep using, but wouldn't out of fear that I'd lose it forever or something.

There are two primary different things with how Breath of the Wild handles degradation- one, unlike other games with similar mechanics, new weapons, even new weapons that are exact duplicates of the ones you are using, are not hard to find at all. Within just the first five minutes, I had an arsenal of four different kinds of weapons, and eleven different weapons on me overall- this was just in five minutes. What this does is remove the entire scarcity of weapons that makes weapon degradation so stressful- if one breaks, there is another right there, and almost certainly, there is another right like it right there.

The other thing here is just how fast weapons degrade- again, this was maybe a low level, early game thing, but weapons often didn't last an encounter- which you might think should add to the problem, but paradoxically enough, it trains you really quickly to understand that weapons in the game are commoditized and dispensable. They're literally stuff that Link is foraging and scavenging, getting rid of and moving on once they have served their use (if you think about it in the context of the game being a survival game, it makes even more sense, but I'm not even going there right now). So when your nice little club breaks, you aren't sad that the club broke, you just shake your head, dodge the attack, quickly switch to the spear or the staff you have, and move on with your life. You are trained by the game to not give a shit about any individual weapon you have- and again, the sheer number of weapons you run into in the wild adds to the sense of commoditization and dispensability.

This basically means the weapons are no longer individual weapons for you to be attached to, they are effectively ammunition. And like in any game, you don't get sad when you run out of ammunition for your AK-47, you just go get more ammunition. So when your spear breaks, you don't start crying about it, you pick up the other spear that that enemy just dropped and moved on.

Finally, and this was probably just me, but I liked this- each weapon plays differently, and I liked the chance to get familiar with all of them in combat (especially since combat here is actually worth a shit). Eventually, I found there to be a flow to taking on an enemy, switching a weapon, taking on another one, and so on (and the game makes it so easy to switch weapons on the fly, you can sort of 'string combos' not in the traditional sense, but get into a rhythm of attack, switch, attack, switch, attack).

That was just my impression after my time with the game- as I said, entirely possible that I'd have eventually gotten annoyed had I played more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#779  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Blazed said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@Blazed said:

How is it outdated?

The gameplay in Zelda is outdated it's not even up to current RPG standards in fact it barely passes for an RPG IMO.

Which probably makes sense, since it's, you know, not an RPG.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Blazed said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@Blazed said:

How is it outdated?

It makes plentyof sense just like some people don't consider Ratchet & Clank a platformer.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#781 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605:

Ah, that does sound ok then. Instead of it being some terrible annoyance that props its head up after hours of getting used to your favorite weapon, it's something that plays into the immediate combat. Forcing you to adapt on the fly and try different things. I can roll with that. No weapon is sacred, they're just disposable means to an end. Gotcha.

I'm also assuming that there will be some kind of blacksmith or means of forging to make greater/more durable weapons if you so choose. And eventually, a Master Sword that sees no degradation whatsoever. Just assumptions of course.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#782 ConanTheStoner
@charizard1605 said:

lol don't mind Blazed, he's just... eh.

I mean he said Nioh is an evolution of Ninja Gaidens combat and the combat is more complex and challenging than ANY action game. lulz.

Just nod and say "that's nice dear".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#783  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

@charizard1605:

Ah, that does sound ok then. Instead of it being some terrible annoyance that props its head up after hours of getting used to your favorite weapon, it's something that plays into the immediate combat. Forcing you to adapt on the fly and try different things. I can roll with that. No weapon is sacred, they're just disposable means to an end. Gotcha.

I'm also assuming that there will be some kind of blacksmith or means of forging to make greater/more durable weapons if you so choose. And eventually, a Master Sword that sees no degradation whatsoever. Just assumptions of course.

Yeah, the game treats weapons as ammunition, and makes degradation and switching weapons a part of the core gameplay loop, rather than making it so that you got used to your favorite cool looking weapon, and now are afraid to break it so don't even use it.

As for your other points:

• I believe there is a facility to reinforce weapons that have not broken in the game
  • Higher tier weapons seem to go a stupidly long time (one dude found a higher leveled weapon and played the entire demo with just that one weapon without any issues)
  • As for the Master Sword, this is speculation, so not a spoiler- the trailers for the game show the Master Sword all rusted and, well, broken. The Game Informer cover also shows the Master Sword in this state. My assumption is that the Master Sword's being broken and diminished is a part of the game's plot in some major way. How that would translate to gameplay is, I suppose you have to 'restore the Master Sword,' so to speak, to be able to wield it to defeat Ganon, but until you do, it'll break after some use, just like any other weapon, at which point you probably need to go get it fixed at a smithy before you can use it again. My assumption is that the Master Sword being fixed and unbreakable is one of the last major plot developments in the game, so that it is in that state literally only for the final endgame battles, like the Ganon battle
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#784  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

A 9 would kinda be an non-surprising flop. An 8 would be a disaster. XD

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#785 smashed_pinata

@charizard1605 Ok i think i can live with that.

If there is indeed a blacksmith or something to reinforce or repair weapons (maybe even make your own? like you break one and can remake it) that would be a huge relief.

Also, i hope your prediction about the MS comes true. I would be totally OK with it being a final battle thing or end game weapon. As long as once i get it at the end of the game or i forge it to become unbreakable i want to be able to KEEP IT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#786 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:
@charizard1605 said:

lol don't mind Blazed, he's just... eh.

I mean he said Nioh is an evolution of Ninja Gaidens combat and the combat is more complex and challenging than ANY action game. lulz.

Just nod and say "that's nice dear".

Oh right, I forgot about that gem lol. You should check his post in the 'Does Sony have the best first party?' thread too

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#787  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Tonight I'll be finishing my very first zelda game. Had a real blast playing Twilight Princess even if it had some insanely wtf puzzles at times. I had no guilty conscience looking up a few of the solutions, the game is too obtuse for its own good at times but those moments are very few and very far between. I'm hyped for BOTW and I feel like this has been a good primer to get me into how these games work even if BOTW changes everything the series has been thus far.

Super hyped for this. During my time with twilight princess I realized zelda is not an adventure game...they're puzzle games disguised as action adventure games. There's very little action adventure to be had really. When I got into this mind set the games finally made sense to me. It's a series I've always avoided because every game has a "have fun figuring this out kid" feel to it.

Wandering aimlessly has never been my idea of fun. Unless you always run into something interesting...which is what BOTW seems to promise.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#788 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

Oh snap another really high score from a stingy place where high scores matter.

NOW CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!

BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 of 10 on gamespot and we will start to see the process of BOTW taking OOT's place as the pinnacle of gaming and of the Zelda series!!!!

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#789 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

ugh, i wish i pre-ordered a switch after the direct. now i'll probably be waiting until april to play zelda

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#790 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

ugh, i wish i pre-ordered a switch after the direct. now i'll probably be waiting until april to play zelda

I really doubt it will sell out.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#791 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

Target, BestBuy, Gamestop are all selling consoles to walkin customer's, imagine other retailers will be doing the same thing. Depending on how many they get extra, might be easy to get one launch night/morning.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#792 Bread_or_Decide

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Oh, but it will. It already is and it'll stay that way for awhile. Probably until next year.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#793  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Oh, but it will. It already is and it'll stay that way for awhile. Probably until next year.

Bet I can walk into a store on Friday and take a pic of unsold Switch's on the shelf and post it here for ya.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#794  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Bet I can walk into a store on Friday and take a pic of unsold Switch's on the shelf and post it here for ya.

You're on. (Who actually puts these things on shelves anymore? Aren't they more often than not kept in the back or behind the counter?)

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#795  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@princeofshapeir said:

You're on. (Who actually puts these things on shelves anymore? Aren't they more often than not kept in the back or behind the counter?)

I always see consoles on the shelf at places like Walmart and Target. They're behind glass of course.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#796 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The irony is that GamePro Germany gave GTA IV 95/100 (the highest score given by that site). And GTA IV really wasn't all that good - though the multiplayer was plenty of fun.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#797 NathanDrakeSwag

@sonic_spark said:

The irony is that GamePro Germany gave GTA IV 95/100 (the highest score given by that site). And GTA IV really wasn't all that good - though the multiplayer was plenty of fun.

GTA IV was a triumph in game design and story telling.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#798 ConanTheStoner

GTA IV was a technical marvel. An insane accomplishment in creating a huge, dense, and detailed open world. And that's about it.

What aspect of its game design was a triumph? Those cookie cutter missions that do very little to take advantage of the open world? Every action at your disposal being tied to bum ass mechanics?

Not even gonna humor the story telling bit lmao.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#799 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

BOTW is most likely going to get a 9 after reading the article about gamespot's thoughts on the game so far. It would be insane if a launch game for the Switch scored a 10 on gamespot but I don't expect that to happen right now.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#800 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Damn I literally haven't even watched a trailer (scrolling past the OP was probably the most I've seen of BotW)

I want the experience to be fresh.

So I don't know what score to expect. I'd love it to be a 10/10 (would this be the first time 2 games in a series get 10/10?)