System Wars lounge V 87: The Immersive old school sim Masterpiece Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2801 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25061 Posts

@jaydan: ok so how about cinderella action movie? Instead.od cinderella being humilated. She fight and kill step sisters and stepmother.

They did with snow white even thought its badly done.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2802 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

@ghosts4ever: If that's what they wanted to do, then sure. I have not seen this movie in question so I can't really tell you about the quality of it.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2803 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@davillain: I think they should have started with the Greek mythology saga, perhaps a prequel to how Kratos became the ghost of sparta.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2804 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59328 Posts

I like in Road house that the villain lives directly opposite him 10 feet away.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2805 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

@jaydan: @ghosts4ever: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is also a real thing that actually happened. And not just some low budget direct to video shit, they got Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton to agree to this.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2806  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

It's so nice jumping back into Valheim again following the mistlands update.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2807  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts
@judaspete said:

@jaydan: @ghosts4ever: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is also a real thing that actually happened. And not just some low budget direct to video shit, they got Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton to agree to this.

😂

Man, I worked on that shit. Digi doubles for all the witches and some other character. Also had to sculpt Jeremy's arm, but think that was for another movie... dude has amphibian fingers, don't know if it's some condition.

Anyways, never saw the movie. Assumed it just sucks.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2808 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

Heh, I liked that movie. Was stupid kind of fun and that woman was hot.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2809 judaspete

@ConanTheStoner: That's interesting. So, they have to use digital effects every time Jeremy Renner's hands are on screen? Personally, my second and third toes are webbed to about halfway up. Is it kinda like that?

@Chutebox: Gemma Arterton was pretty hot in it. And I'll give it this, Hansel and Gretel seemed aware it was stupid, in a way that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter didn't.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2810  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@judaspete said:

@ConanTheStoner: That's interesting. So, they have to use digital effects every time Jeremy Renner's hands are on screen? Personally, my second and third toes are webbed to about halfway up. Is it kinda like that?

Oh my bad, no that wasn't the reason for it lol. Just something I noticed while doing it.

Nah, one of his arms was broken, but production had to keep going. Got a rough scan of his unbroken arm, mirrored it, then sculpted/detailed/textured.

Edit: Not webbed, just unusually bulbous fingertips.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2811 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Well Angry Joe has lost his mind over Cavill. Lol

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2812 judaspete

@ConanTheStoner: Ah, I see. Interesting. It's crazy what you effects guys can pull off these days. When they don't rush or overload you anyway (nods toward Superman's mustache).

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2813 ConanTheStoner

😂

Still just unbelievable, whoever said yeah ship that.

Lucky for me, just create models and textures, send them down the pipe. Whatever they do with an asset, out of my hands.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2814 jaydan

Ahh I love VFX, the art of not being noticed. I kinda do that subtlety in my own photo editing. Sometimes I'll do subtle edits yet so fabricated from the reality of my own photography, and no one ever thinks or notices that it is in fact an edit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2815 uninspiredcup  Online

Vote we ditch Dorito Pope and have this little shit present the Game Awards next year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2816  Edited By Chutebox  Online

But did she name 10?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2817 jaydan
Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2818 Ghosts4ever

@jaydan: speaking of disney, best disney franchise is Pirates of carribean by long margin. the original 3 movies anyways.

Loading Video...

back when Disney can make dark and mature movies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2819  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Bring back Gargoyles.

Loading Video...

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2820 lebanese_boy

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well Angry Joe has lost his mind over Cavill. Lol

Who wouldn't?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2821 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@lebanese_boy: I got faith in Gunn after GOTG and TSS. Guy knows comics.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2822  Edited By jaydan

@ghosts4ever: Did you ever watch Tron? The original one with Jeff Bridges. I liked that one.

Loading Video...

The story was nothing to run home about, but it's one of the most unique looking Disney films from a visual standpoint.

This was very early days CGI, and the way it was shot and colorized was unique. The film looks super dated today, but in a way its dated look looks like a stylistic choice, because history didn't quite go the Tron route in terms of how we do CGI now, so it's kinda in its own bubble now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2823 uninspiredcup  Online

Wrestling is Shakespeare, with men on steroids rocking mullets.

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2824 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Wrestling is Shakespeare, with men on steroids rocking mullets.

Loading Video...

I still think this is all scripted. no way its real.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2825  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever: The stories behind the scenes tend to be more interesting.

But I have total respect for Wrestlers. Risk their lives, break limbs, endure physical abuse to entertain people.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2826 uninspiredcup  Online

Every time watch Prince Of Darkness blows my mind how simple the mirror effect was. Just a tilted camera with mercury to make it look shiny with the (opposite side) a tilted shot of a swimming pool.

Loading Video...

What like about Prince Of Darkness and The Fog, super simple effects but just totally engulfed in atmosphere. A lot of his simple (but totally awesome) repetitive music beats.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2827  Edited By jaydan

Ask an Avatar fan what's so great about the series but tell them to do it without mentioning 3D visuals or box office numbers. They'll get mad and avoid answering the question and instead try to gaslight you claiming you don't know what you're talking about.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2828 Chutebox  Online

Almost fell asleep during first one. It was so boring.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2829 lebanese_boy

@nintendoboy16: Yeah but still Cavill was amazing as Superman, this really sucks that he won't come back espeacially after they told him that he was.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2830 ConanTheStoner

I was big into Avatar, saw it like 4 or 5 times in theaters. But yeah, it was 100% about the visuals. At that time was still super obsessed with the 3d artist shit and Avatar was our industries peak.

Otherwise yeah, don't care for it much. Not at all interested in the sequel.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2831  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

I enjoyed Avatar. Wouldn’t say it’s one of the greatest movies ever made or anything but it was a fun enough experience at the theatre. Probably the biggest thing for me about it was Sigorney Weaver being a big fan of the Alien movies and all. Will certainly watch the sequel.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2832 jaydan

@Chutebox said:

Almost fell asleep during first one. It was so boring.

You are not allowed to say that, Avatar made so much money. How can you cope with not liking something that is popular? Clearly you know nothing about movies because 3D visuals have never been so great.

Lololol

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2833  Edited By jaydan
@ConanTheStoner said:

I was big into Avatar, saw it like 4 or 5 times in theaters. But yeah, it was 100% about the visuals. At that time was still super obsessed with the 3d artist shit and Avatar was our industries peak.

Otherwise yeah, don't care for it much. Not at all interested in the sequel.

Almost like graphics don't make a good story.

Clowning on these Avatar fans is entertaining. One said "why did you pay for a movie you don't like?"

Like have you never paid for a movie you didn't like before? That's quite alarming, yet it makes sense for an Avatar fan to say that. In order to have good taste, you have to also know what's bad. Taste is something Avatar stans don't have.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2834 jaydan

@Archangel3371 said:

I enjoyed Avatar. Wouldn’t say it’s one of the greatest movies ever made or anything but it was a fun enough experience at the theatre. Probably the biggest thing for me about it was Sigorney Weaver being a big fan of the Alien movies and all. Will certainly watch the sequel.

Admit it: Sigourney Weaver was not good in Avatar. Underutilized to the max. You like her, but you like her from other movies not Avatar. I don't know what to tell you if you thought she was good in Avatar. She did the best with what she was given, but what she was given was as shallow and one-dimensional as a puddle. She was just a caricature of better characters in other movies.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2835 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Honestly couldn’t tell you. Only seen the movie once which was awhile ago. Just recall that I enjoyed it. Thought it was neat that she was in the movie. Would have to watch it again to brush up on it to make any kind of judgment call.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2836 jaydan

@Archangel3371: You only liked her for being there, that is all. It's the nostalgia you felt, because it brought you back to other movies that she was better in.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2837 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Maybe. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t really think of “nostalgia” as being particularly bad regardless. Just another aspect of enjoying any one thing.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2838 jaydan

@Archangel3371: Nostalgia is the most shallow, surface level appeal. Problem with Avatar stans is they are in denial that these movies are anything but visual splendors, and anyone that sees them for what they are are talked down on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2839 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Never had any interaction with any “Avatar stans” myself so can’t really comment on anything of that nature.

I don’t see anything wrong with enjoying something on a surface or shallow level. May be one aspect of enjoying something or it may be the entirety of enjoying something. Either/or is fine with me.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2840 jaydan

@Archangel3371: You are not the target of my critique, I am just responding to you because you jumped into the convo, just to clarify.

I'm talking about that Avatar 2 review on this site. Avatar stans are in defense mode. Many of them invalidating the reviewer, others saying movie reviews don't belong on GameSpot (people who just joined this site to comment on that article lol), people claiming they aren't bugged by movie reviews while being bugged by this one.

People in the comments who also did not like Avatar being reminded by Avatar stans that it made billions, so their opinions are invalid. Like box office is indicative of a good movie.

The same people that are saying Avatar is good because of box office and simultaneously trashing the MCU. Lol hypocrisy at its finest.

Avatar stans jumping through hoops just to invalidate the opinions of others, the list goes on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2841 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Yeah I know you aren’t targeting me with your critique or at least I assumed as much.

Yeah I never read the review here let alone the comments section so definitely didn’t see any of that drama there. Sounds like it was for the best. 😅

Just thought I’d throw in my two cents about the movie. I enjoyed it but am not overly passionate about it one way or the other.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2842  Edited By jaydan

@Archangel3371: Gamespot articles is like open season breeding grounds for newbie users who impulsively made an account just to comment on an article. It's a great feeding ground for veteran posters like us to feast off the sanity of those that don't know what kind of website they just landed on.

Bring it on, newbie GameSpot Avatar stans, I can take on each and every one of you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2843 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Yeah, I’ve visited the odd comment section of GameSpot articles here and there and they most definitely get some “interesting” comments sometimes but those are some weeds I don’t really want to venture into all that often. 😅

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2844 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

Had to repair my dualsense for the 7th time yesterday. At this point its becoming funny.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2845 uninspiredcup  Online

@jaydan: Not a fan either, watched it once. Barely remember. District 9 was a very similar concept and like, way, way not even close better imo.

Even just from a design standpoint it's more interesting.

The avatar people (whatever the **** they are called) live in paradise, have big baby eyes and fit firm bodies, the female characters rule34 type shit fighting against evil space yee-haw MAGAS.

District 9, from the get go, they live in an absolute shithole, and are presented to the viewer as problematic savages that literally look like cockroaches. With the main protagonist Wikus, not some big buff handsome man who's gonna stand up for good, but an absolute weak-minded weasel gleefully working for them.

Throughout the movie your perception of him and the prawns change, and he becomes a legit, proper earned hero character.

A lot of stuff like help I think help elevate it above Avatar.

Only complaint is that the villains are kinda shitty in this as well.

Like, Avatar ends with a dude in a mecha-suit with an advantage, typical villain fair, District 9 ends with the hero in a mecha-suit and villain clearly at a disadvantage walking up to him saying "come and have a go if ye think yer hard nuff'", so weird.

Saying that he does get overwhelmed by an apartheid zerg rush.

Read this was getting a sequel, they do say they will return, but kinda don't want one.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2846 Ghosts4ever

Holy shit!! This has been best world cup final i have ever seen...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2847 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

It was crazy, wow! So many twists!

Now just waiting for Messi to raise the trophy!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2848 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10554 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

absolutely breathtaking

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2849  Edited By jaydan

@uninspiredcup: James Cameron can't write for shit either, he probably uses toilet paper to write his screenplays. He even said it took him like 10 years to write Avatar. 10 years to rip-off Pocahontas?

People think lines like "I'll be back" or "hasta la vista" are actually well-written lines? It turns out these quotes are only memorable, not because they are good, but because they got a big actor with a funny voice to say cheesy lines.

I too, prefer District 9.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2850 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts
Loading Video...