Switch's highest rated games are both Wii U ports...

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@Advid-Gamer said:
@clone01 said:

Okay *goes back to playing Zelda on Switch*

Take your time, dont want to use up all your fun....

Why would I? I've yet to get to Mario Kart, Splatoon, Arms, Binding of Isaac, Ultra Street Fighter 2, Rime, Mario Odyssey, Dandara, Monster Boy, Ocean Horn, and that should get me through for a lot of other titles coming up. But thanks for your concern.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#102  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@charizard1605 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

The whole PS4's highest rated games seems like a bit of missing the point. The PS4's library completely dwarfs what the Switch has, and that would be the same if we compared the launch run. So far there hasn't been one good retail game for that game that isn't on another platform (Puyo Puyo Tetris too, if you aren't against importing), and the Eshop isn't even fucking complete. Zelda is rad, but it is also a WiiU game. The Switch's worthwhile games are a game it shares with the WiiU, and port of a WiiU game as far as Nintendo's major offerings on a system that doesn't exactly have a lot of depth to its library the way the other 3 major platforms (The PS4, Xbox, n PC) do.

It's literally two months old. All systems have shallow lineups two months into their lives. To the Switch's credit, it already has a couple of must play games at this point in its life where other systems in recent memory have failed at that.

If the situation is still the same this time next year, maybe this would be a valid point. To raise it six weeks after the system's launch, and before its very first E3, seems to be a bit redundant to me.

Yeah but not all systems in the history of this medium started off this lame, cut it out. The N64 at least had mario 64, The Gamecube within months had Melee ( a game with a thriving competitive scene by the way 16 years later), Rogue Leader, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, and that's without getting into the big multiplats of that 2001 season like SSX Tricky or Tony Hawk.

The 360 had CoD2, Dead or Alive 4, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Quake 4, Ridge Racer 6, and PG3 off the top of my head.

While it's not unheard for a system to have a weak launch library (by virtue of the gen going on longer and better tech leading to better games), it isn't that crazy of a notion that these companies could have focused up a better line up. The Switch doesn't have its first true first party offering until Arms and Splatoon 2. And all of that is ignoring that the PS4 and Xbox 1 at least hit the ground running as far as their downloadable library having a healthier selection out of the gate.

I mean, sure, you can argue the Switch doesn't have exclusive good games right now, but it launched with one of the highest rated games of all time, and a month later got the highest rated racer of all time. Given the fact that the Wii U sold to no one, and that the Switch is selling apparently to at least a broader audience than that, those games are de facto good points in its favor, if nothing else.

For people like us, sure? They're not Switch exclusives. Then again, they're a chance for me to play some good games on an actual civilized system instead of that Fisher Price piece of shit, so hell man, you won't find me complaining.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#103 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

I mean, sure, you can argue the Switch doesn't have exclusive good games right now, but it launched with one of the highest rated games of all time, and a month later got the highest rated racer of all time. Given the fact that the Wii U sold to no one, and that the Switch is selling apparently to at least a broader audience than that, those games are de facto good points in its favor, if nothing else.

For people like us, sure? They're not Switch exclusives. Then again, they're a chance for me to play some good games on an actual civilized system instead of that Fisher Price piece of shit, so hell man, you won't find me complaining.

Not really points at all. So understand I'm working on literal terms here.

1. This medium's critics fucking suck, objectively. Please try to argue that with me. So I don't give two shits what those games scored. But sure, I guess I'm tied to the dumb ass scores since it's within the scope of this thread. So I guess you should ignore 1 ;p

2. Sure they are some of the highest rated, but considering you were willing to write off some of the other highest rated games ever on the PS4's list (or well they were ports of some of the highest rated games ever), I'm not really seeing how you could write that one off, no one is questioning that the game's are well made. But just like one can argue it's lame how so much of the PS4's top 10 highest rated games (again eww that they care that much about scores) are ports, doesn't excuse the Switch. The consumers shouldn't give a shit about things like "well it's a launch window" "well you have to understand these things take time". We bitch when games release unfinished. A console releasing without any interesting games being designed for it, to me is more or less like a console being unfinished.

3. I don't give a **** who bought the WiiU or not. I purchased the WiiU. You purchased the Wiiu. About what was it 10 million people bough it, and in theory there will be a Switch audience that also owned the WiiU (yes well aware I'm one of those scumbags, but normalize this conversation with me), so it's not like there weren't people who didn't play that previously well received games, and there aren't 10 million WiiU owners who can effectively ignore the Switch version of Breath of the Wild regardless of it being "better". So the Wiiu sucking in sales, doesn't make them de facto good points, as much as the general audience being clueless is a bonus for Nintendo.

4. While I'll agree the switch itself is a better piece of tech, um it feels more limiting too. Like can it even do the tv+tablet play stuff? Because Zombi U n The Wonderful 101 did some cool stuff with that, and there was room for some neat asymmetrical stuff that I don't think games can do with the Switch that they could with the WiiU pad. A bunch of devs failing to make good on that doesn't mean the WiiU pad didn't have some dope possibilities that this medium failed on, again. Why is the E-shop gimped? Why did the WiiU have a virtual console on launch and The Switch didn't? Why is that the PS3 launched with PSN, but the Switch isn't launching with the Nintendo network. Why was the Xbox 360 up with a marketplace of games and XBox Live on launch for the 360, but the switch isn't?

5. Currently that console has 2 exclusives that are green on precious ass metacritic. Sniperclips, which could be great or whatever, but it's the lone retail exclusive to hit that mark, and Graceful explosion machine or something. Which again could be amazing, not knocking the game, but even that's one digital game. Now if the argument is "well the PS4 had zero exclusives in its launch window that hit that contrived metric", in which case, sure I agree. You have no brought us full circle that the Switch's launch lineup is as pathetic as the PS4, which gets me to my larger long winded point, how is that a positive? That's a fairly shitty short coming. The PS4's shittyness wouldn't be an excuse for the Switch

6. Arms and Splatoon 2 are the big nintendo first party offerings, one of them is a new ip which is neat, but the other is a sequel to a game that's only 2 years old and had a respectable online community on the WiiU of all things, even today. So bare with me, if Splatoon 2 suffers from sequelitis, that's going to be less interesting of a purchasing option on a system that's going to be limited.

Champ needs: Listen I don't need any of these consoles to get a game my PC is also getting, because those skus mean nothing to me. I only care about the exclusives and more importantly a complete distaste for my hard earned money and free time so I'll spend it on video games. So I'm not exactly overly annoyed by my Switch purchase. Zelda is great, and I played a lot of Tetris in between Swat 4 sessions yesterday on the switch. But I don't think it's healthy to ignore any of the Switch's short comings, and just label them under "well it's a launch". As consumers/people who want to discuss games it is absolutely in our best interest to discuss the systems short comings and then voice said short comings. Hur durr the other company does it too, is stupid.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Well in all fairness Zelda launched for Switch and WiiU same day. That happens with all new systems when older systems are being supported.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

I love to see lems get their digs in with the Switch. You know it's because they're threatened the Xbox will get relegated even further down the ladder. They need something they can attack, there's nothing else. It's pathetic it has to be a console that JUST launched. 'bu bu bu no games'.

Xbox desperation continuation.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

Wow, the radicalized anti MS/Xbox boyzz getting quite upset in a thread about Bait & Switch mutiplats. Lol. Good stuff. :P

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#107 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

True, but I'm not going to spend $250-$299 on a Wii U when the Switch is the same price or just a little more expensive.

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#108 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

@xxyetixx said:

Well in all fairness Zelda launched for Switch and WiiU same day. That happens with all new systems when older systems are being supported.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is indeed a port, but Breath of the Wild is a multi-platform release.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#109 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@DocSanchez: guess you never owned a Sega Saturn or Atari Jaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jg4xchamp: Can't disagree with any of that. All I can say is so far, I'm not feeling a games crunch- but Nintendo absolutely needs to work on getting a higher volume of Switch exclusive games out. I think I understand what they are doing by staggering their releases this way- and so far, it seems to be working, but I mean, I totally understand your criticism of the actual exclusive lineup of the system feeling lacking.

I do want to address this point, though:

While I'll agree the switch itself is a better piece of tech, um it feels more limiting too. Like can it even do the tv+tablet play stuff? Because Zombi U n The Wonderful 101 did some cool stuff with that, and there was room for some neat asymmetrical stuff that I don't think games can do with the Switch that they could with the WiiU pad. A bunch of devs failing to make good on that doesn't mean the WiiU pad didn't have some dope possibilities that this medium failed on, again. Why is the E-shop gimped? Why did the WiiU have a virtual console on launch and The Switch didn't? Why is that the PS3 launched with PSN, but the Switch isn't launching with the Nintendo network. Why was the Xbox 360 up with a marketplace of games and XBox Live on launch for the 360, but the switch isn't?

I'm referring here to the fact that the Wii U simply felt unpleasant and cheap as hardware and as an overall usage experience. Shitty and cheap construction (buttons rattling in their casing, a film based resistive touchscreen, light leakage), a terribly slow UI, and bizarre, self defeating limitations placed on the system in every use case made it feel like a system I never wanted to use. The Switch is different- it feels high end, well made, well designed, singularly focused, and I like using it. I want to use it; it's not like the Wii U where I had to force myself to put up with it to play the games on it.

The possibilities of dual screen gaming that the medium failed to realize are absolutely a topic worth discussing and following up on sometime- but it is also clear that as far as the broader gaming market was concerned, the idea was a non starter to begin with.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@ArchoNils2: AAA exclusives?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@mariokart64fan: Quick tip for you: Quote the post you want someone to reply to so they know what you were replying to in the first place.

In any case, I didn't own those, but that doesn't matter. Sega Saturn was streets ahead of Wii U in terms of games and the Atari Jaguar came when the company was no longer relevant. They were dead by then.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#114  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@soul_starter said:

Yes? Games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors, Shin Megami Tensei,

An let's not forget some smaller titles like Snipperclips, Project: Octopath Traveler or Fast RMX.

The Switch has a stronger first year than the PS4 and xOne combined when it comes to exclusives.

Remember, the PS4 launched with games like Knack and Killzone and the xOne with Killer Instinct and Zoo Tycoon :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Litchie said:

Isn't this what ALL new consoles are going through? Which console have released with lots of games from the start? Pretty sure that would be none. Why are people bringing out the Switch so much on this? Xbox One, for example, has been out for long and still has a crappy library. I'm not very worried about the Switch, myself..

The Wii U had the largest line up of any US launch. The least the Switch could have done was release with a fourth of that.

And what a lick of good it did the Wii U.

If the Switch can do everything the opposite and succeed then it's got a bright future ahead of it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The system isn't appealing enough to drop the money they're asking for.

Yea, Zelda apparently good. Well done. Not £300 good.

People have purchased consoles for less. Yes zelda is worth the total $400 it would cost to get a switch and zelda plus tax.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#117  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Arms and Splatoon are due soon. So you don't have to wait long.

Those 2 combined are not even close to the excitement i have for another Super Mario 64 like Mario. Also Arms/Splatoon might be fun and great and this and that ... but far imho from those AAA titles like Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey are.

Imho , Nintendo needs more of those classy AAAs than ... games that could have been Free 2 play on PC or something. My opinion

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#118 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Arms and Splatoon are due soon. So you don't have to wait long.

Those 2 combined are not even close to the excitement i have for another Super Mario 64 like Mario. Also Arms/Splatoon might be fun and great and this and that ... but far imho from those AAA titles like Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey are.

Imho , Nintendo needs more of those classy AAAs than ... games that could have been Free 2 play on PC or something. My opinion

The Question was when we were going to get Games that a built specifically for the Switch.

Splatoon 2 and Arms seem to fit that bill. (less so for Splatoon 2 and more so for Arms.)

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

All of this is a non issue until the system is in stock world wide. By that time, Arms, Splatoon, and Street Fighter II the Final Challengers will all be out with Super Mario right around the corner. Being out for two months the switch is doing just fine. (I already have 10 Games on it in 2 months. That is a lot more than I bought for my Ps4 or Xbox in the first 2 months.) I just love how I can show people games at work now.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

that are damn awesome, don't get me wrong. But when do you think we'll actually get some games that were made for Switch from the ground up? Super Mario Odyssey looks great, but that is just one game. Hopefully the made for Switch games will be coming up soon. Considering most people here used to criticize PS4 and Vita for having ports and remasters :p

It's really funny and true. Goes to show Wii U games were just that good. Needed a better promoted system and I look forward to the Switch exclusives coming ^ ^

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 HalcyonScarlet

@metalslimenite said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I love to see lems get their digs in with the Switch. You know it's because they're threatened the Xbox will get relegated even further down the ladder. They need something they can attack, there's nothing else. It's pathetic it has to be a console that JUST launched. 'bu bu bu no games'.

Xbox desperation continuation.

This. Dunno about you, but I was a big proponent of the Xbox 360, it did so much right in contrast to the Xbox One. It just feels like Microsoft has completely lost their focus and direction. When they talk about giving up on sp content, all while depending on third party online titles and focusing on beefier hardware, you just know this is a company that has lost its sight. They've given up and are settling for complacency by letting other devs make games for them, while hoping gamers are blinded by raw power and nothing else.

The Xbox 360 is still awesome. The Xbox One is just a silly multiplat player.

The truth is, the Xbox One is designed to compete with Playstation first and foremost before being a good product. Normally someone says, 'We have great product and this is how we'll compete', MS said 'We'll compete and hopefully it turns out to be a good product'.

At least Nintendo have the balls to never compromise on the identity of their console because it isn't selling as well. It's pathetic how much MS threw out of the window so quickly, just to beat the Playstation 4.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 HalcyonScarlet

@jg4xchamp said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not really points at all. So understand I'm working on literal terms here.

1. This medium's critics fucking suck, objectively. Please try to argue that with me. So I don't give two shits what those games scored. But sure, I guess I'm tied to the dumb ass scores since it's within the scope of this thread. So I guess you should ignore 1 ;p

2. Sure they are some of the highest rated, but considering you were willing to write off some of the other highest rated games ever on the PS4's list (or well they were ports of some of the highest rated games ever), I'm not really seeing how you could write that one off, no one is questioning that the game's are well made. But just like one can argue it's lame how so much of the PS4's top 10 highest rated games (again eww that they care that much about scores) are ports, doesn't excuse the Switch. The consumers shouldn't give a shit about things like "well it's a launch window" "well you have to understand these things take time". We bitch when games release unfinished. A console releasing without any interesting games being designed for it, to me is more or less like a console being unfinished.

3. I don't give a **** who bought the WiiU or not. I purchased the WiiU. You purchased the Wiiu. About what was it 10 million people bough it, and in theory there will be a Switch audience that also owned the WiiU (yes well aware I'm one of those scumbags, but normalize this conversation with me), so it's not like there weren't people who didn't play that previously well received games, and there aren't 10 million WiiU owners who can effectively ignore the Switch version of Breath of the Wild regardless of it being "better". So the Wiiu sucking in sales, doesn't make them de facto good points, as much as the general audience being clueless is a bonus for Nintendo.

4. While I'll agree the switch itself is a better piece of tech, um it feels more limiting too. Like can it even do the tv+tablet play stuff? Because Zombi U n The Wonderful 101 did some cool stuff with that, and there was room for some neat asymmetrical stuff that I don't think games can do with the Switch that they could with the WiiU pad. A bunch of devs failing to make good on that doesn't mean the WiiU pad didn't have some dope possibilities that this medium failed on, again. Why is the E-shop gimped? Why did the WiiU have a virtual console on launch and The Switch didn't? Why is that the PS3 launched with PSN, but the Switch isn't launching with the Nintendo network. Why was the Xbox 360 up with a marketplace of games and XBox Live on launch for the 360, but the switch isn't?

5. Currently that console has 2 exclusives that are green on precious ass metacritic. Sniperclips, which could be great or whatever, but it's the lone retail exclusive to hit that mark, and Graceful explosion machine or something. Which again could be amazing, not knocking the game, but even that's one digital game. Now if the argument is "well the PS4 had zero exclusives in its launch window that hit that contrived metric", in which case, sure I agree. You have no brought us full circle that the Switch's launch lineup is as pathetic as the PS4, which gets me to my larger long winded point, how is that a positive? That's a fairly shitty short coming. The PS4's shittyness wouldn't be an excuse for the Switch

6. Arms and Splatoon 2 are the big nintendo first party offerings, one of them is a new ip which is neat, but the other is a sequel to a game that's only 2 years old and had a respectable online community on the WiiU of all things, even today. So bare with me, if Splatoon 2 suffers from sequelitis, that's going to be less interesting of a purchasing option on a system that's going to be limited.

Champ needs: Listen I don't need any of these consoles to get a game my PC is also getting, because those skus mean nothing to me. I only care about the exclusives and more importantly a complete distaste for my hard earned money and free time so I'll spend it on video games. So I'm not exactly overly annoyed by my Switch purchase. Zelda is great, and I played a lot of Tetris in between Swat 4 sessions yesterday on the switch. But I don't think it's healthy to ignore any of the Switch's short comings, and just label them under "well it's a launch". As consumers/people who want to discuss games it is absolutely in our best interest to discuss the systems short comings and then voice said short comings. Hur durr the other company does it too, is stupid.

Maybe, but in SWs for people to complain, I think it's a double standard. It took a long time for the current gen to get good games, games which actually had current gen graphics (apart from a few cases and games which couldn't have been done on last gen hardware (CPU more so). That's where the launch window defensiveness comes from.

Plus we as gamers know better. It's fairly unusual for a new console to have anything other than a bit of a boring first year. However, I think the Switch may benefit from shorter development times. Plus I think some developers are holding out to see how it performs.

I think the fairest complaints are that, 1. Nintendo is charging for online with a service that I doubt rivals other paid for online gaming services (PSN and XBL) and 2. Considering this, I think it's just rude that the console launched with an incomplete online service and shop.

If we are ignorant consumers we can say 'where are the games', but it's a strange complaint from savvy gamers who know the score.

We know that when you but a launch console, you're paying a hell of a lot more for a console with a higher risk of hardware failure rate, a console that may have even minor hardware issues that are likely to get ironed out down the line, a console with unfinished system software and obviously a console with a bland library of games. I used to be someone interested in early adopting and now I think it's not the wisest move because of these things.

I actually think Nintendo should have many games from their systems ported over. The fillers would benefit the console.

-

BTW, which Tetris are you playing? I'm playing Tetris DS a lot, I like playing the CPU.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@SolidGame_basic: I mean the Wii U certainly didn't feel "worth it" until Bayonetta 2 showed up.

By then we had games like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors, and some worth while 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed 3&4, Rayman Legends, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Resident Evil Revelations and Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

and that was 2014. about 2 years or so after the Wii U launched.

The Switch is only 2 months old. The PS4 didn't even have as much as the Switch does now in it's first two months.

If your argument is "it's better than wii u", then I sure hope so, the wii u was an utter flop.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 PutASpongeOn

Really only mario kart 8 and xenoblade chronicles 2 speak out to me, the rest seem pretty eh, might be interested in arms but I'm not looking to buy a sub fee to pay online only for 2 games. Will have to be wow'd to get a switch anywhere in the next 3-4 years.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Top exclusives during PS4's first two months:

Killzone Shadow Fall

Knack

Yeah, but what else was there? I wasn't talking just exclusives.

I mean we had infamous second son right after those 2 months though unlike the switch which is just like "yall wait for late 2017, kay?"

Also it had 3rd party support.

Knack > Breath of the Wild

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#126 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Okay thread, so the Switch's best games are ports, most of its games in fact are ports in some way. Fair enough. But let's agree they are some damn good games. Zelda BotW, MK8 Deluxe, The Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight - we're talking some damn good games here, pretty early on in a game system's life.

Now let's look at PS4. Well there was Knack, and Killzone Shadowfall, and Resogun. Not bad games, but not exactly the stuff of dreams there. Had some good fun on KZ multiplayer, Knack could have been a lot better but was fun for a playthrough, and Resogun got frustrating quick. That was mid-November, 2013. I'd argue the first decent game on the PS4 was Killzone SF, and the second one was Infamous Second Son. But Second Son came out in late March the following year, and though I sat and played through the game, I definitely would not call it "great". It was alright. Bloodborne came along sometime after, and you know what? I wasn't really into that as much as I thought it would be, so maybe not a bad game, but certainly didn't catch my attention like Demons' Souls did.

The PS4 now has some pretty good games, a lot of noteworthy exclusives that I would be interested in playing. The development hell'd Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, both Gravity Rush games, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2... It wasn't like that early on in the PS4's life, that's for damn sure. Of course I doubt I will buy another game system.

What about the XBO? Well, Dead Rising 3 came out at launch and I had a blast with it when I decided to get the XBO in like mid-2014, probably one of my more memorable games on that system. I thought Crimson Dragon sucked. Halo: Spartan Assault was alright, but it's clear that was a simple tablet game. People went crazy over Ryse and whatever FPS games the system had at launch, but most people agreed then they were meh, and don't give a crap about them now. I enjoyed PVZ Garden Warfare, but it was also on like all of the other systems, even 360, and it was outdated by a sequel like most shooters. And it was sometimes buggy. Loved Super Time Force, but that went multiplat eventually. 1001 Spikes and Volgarr were kind of neat but tough. Oh, Sunset Overdrive! One of my most-anticipated games for the XBO! ...And it was just okay, hmm... And then Halo: The Master Chief Collection came out! It was a great concept, all 4 games in one package, and then ODST and Reach were released for it as well. ....MCC was completely buggy, only band-aided with patches over time. Shortly after all that I remember Rare Replay came out - that's tons of ports!

I can't actually think of too many games I would jump back into owning an XBO for. Crackdown for sure. I kind of wanted to check out Recore, but that got so-so reviews and dropped in price fast. Maybe Halo 5, maybe the upcoming Phantom Dust that got delayed and scrapped. Maybe I'd even jump back into Sunset Overdrive and Dead Rising 3. But it just doesn't seem worth it, and it doesn't look like it has the kinds of games I really enjoy.

Switch came out at the beginning of March. It is the beginning of May. I have Zelda, Snipperclips, Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, the fabulous remake of the NES game Blaster Master, and that weird Mr. Shifty I'll probably delete after I beat it. Zelda, Isaac and Shovel Knight will probably all stay in rotation for a while. MK8D is a game that will probably add to that. Looking at getting Disgaea 5 Complete for lots of single-player content, ARMS for what looks like a fun cartoony boxing game, Splatoon 2 because it is unlike other shooters in objectives and originality and I never got to play the first - later this year I will likely be getting Skyrim (yes another port) to play that game for the first time, and the awesome-looking Mario Odyssey - perhaps a lot of other stuff as well, at least on the downloadable front.

I think people just like to complain because they have nothing better to do. When you really take a look at these lists, all three systems aren't that different in the number of things worth experiencing on them. It just depends on which system has the most kinds of stuff you like.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#127 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Maybe, but in SWs for people to complain, I think it's a double standard. It took a long time for the current gen to get good games, games which actually had current gen graphics (apart from a few cases and games which couldn't have been done on last gen hardware (CPU more so). That's where the launch window defensiveness comes from.

Plus we as gamers know better. It's fairly unusual for a new console to have anything other than a bit of a boring first year. However, I think the Switch may benefit from shorter development times. Plus I think some developers are holding out to see how it performs.

I think the fairest complaints are that, 1. Nintendo is charging for online with a service that I doubt rivals other paid for online gaming services (PSN and XBL) and 2. Considering this, I think it's just rude that the console launched with an incomplete online service and shop.

If we are ignorant consumers we can say 'where are the games', but it's a strange complaint from savvy gamers who know the score.

We know that when you but a launch console, you're paying a hell of a lot more for a console with a higher risk of hardware failure rate, a console that may have even minor hardware issues that are likely to get ironed out down the line, a console with unfinished system software and obviously a console with a bland library of games. I used to be someone interested in early adopting and now I think it's not the wisest move because of these things.

I actually think Nintendo should have many games from their systems ported over. The fillers would benefit the console.

-

BTW, which Tetris are you playing? I'm playing Tetris DS a lot, I like playing the CPU.

Puyo Puyo Tetris, I have learned forget the idea of me being able to Puyo, apparently I can't even Tetris. Some of the people playing that game are insane, they are making moves like they know the next 12 pieces to come down and not the next 3 or 4. It's crack though.

Double standard aside, I don't think anyone would disagree that these consoles started slow, but it's not an excuse. These companies had a release schedule in mind, they have internal studios, they are in the position to make sure that when these things launch they have a healthier lineup. I get the Switch is in a weird place where it can launch with a killer app (Breath of the Wild), and pair it with Mario Kart 8, but I'd still would have preferred at least the virtual console, online network, n e-shop up to snuff day 1. There is no reason we should have a "wait till the fall for Nintendo Network" how was shit not one of your first priorities when getting this thing out?

Again no one is saying this unheard of for a console to start slow, but again, to just brush it off is no different than saying well beat-em ups always have bad stories, or well FPS games always have bad stories, and as someone who thinks video games, habitually have bad stories lol, I also think there is nothing wrong with criticizing a game for them and expecting better, because they can do better. And in terms of having a healthier launch, Nintendo easily could have done better, they could have been way more open with their dev kits especially to an indie scene. I get that the third party will do the wait n see routine, but independent games could have easily padded up the Switch's library, and it being a handheld could be an incentive for even someone like me who mostly games on a PC.

That and Nintendo could just be more aggressive with their investment in 2nd party offerings by picking up some third party titles (like they did with The Wonderful 101, albeit they could do it on a smaller scale too).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 LegatoSkyheart

@putaspongeon: I mean, that's pretty much it. The Situation is a lot better then the Wii U.

Also there's more then 2 games worth it for the Switch right now. Sure they're not exclusive, but neither was any of the PS4's Best Games during it's first 2 months "exclusive" either.

I think the first game PS4 owners got really excited about was Infamous Second Son and that was like 4 months after launch.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 HalcyonScarlet

@jg4xchamp said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

-

Puyo Puyo Tetris, I have learned forget the idea of me being able to Puyo, apparently I can't even Tetris. Some of the people playing that game are insane, they are making moves like they know the next 12 pieces to come down and not the next 3 or 4. It's crack though.

Double standard aside, I don't think anyone would disagree that these consoles started slow, but it's not an excuse. These companies had a release schedule in mind, they have internal studios, they are in the position to make sure that when these things launch they have a healthier lineup. I get the Switch is in a weird place where it can launch with a killer app (Breath of the Wild), and pair it with Mario Kart 8, but I'd still would have preferred at least the virtual console, online network, n e-shop up to snuff day 1. There is no reason we should have a "wait till the fall for Nintendo Network" how was shit not one of your first priorities when getting this thing out?

Again no one is saying this unheard of for a console to start slow, but again, to just brush it off is no different than saying well beat-em ups always have bad stories, or well FPS games always have bad stories, and as someone who thinks video games, habitually have bad stories lol, I also think there is nothing wrong with criticizing a game for them and expecting better, because they can do better. And in terms of having a healthier launch, Nintendo easily could have done better, they could have been way more open with their dev kits especially to an indie scene. I get that the third party will do the wait n see routine, but independent games could have easily padded up the Switch's library, and it being a handheld could be an incentive for even someone like me who mostly games on a PC.

That and Nintendo could just be more aggressive with their investment in 2nd party offerings by picking up some third party titles (like they did with The Wonderful 101, albeit they could do it on a smaller scale too).

Wait what, Nintendo won't get it sorted out until the fall? Are you serious, are they still charging? Which of the online components will be lacking, example VC, eshop, online gaming?

At least Sony didn't charge with the PS3 while they were developing the service for that gen.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Given the nature of the Switch, and the fact it's probably not super expensive to develop for, there should have been more content scheduled out. And indie games should be coming out of its ass to be honest.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Killzone Shadow Fall

Knack

I mean we had infamous second son right after those 2 months though unlike the switch which is just like "yall wait for late 2017, kay?"

Damn, that wasn't even a good effort honestly.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 PutASpongeOn

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Killzone Shadow Fall

Knack

The knack thing was a joke, just try to disprove the rest.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#132 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Welcome to the PS4's first year.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 PutASpongeOn

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@putaspongeon: I mean, that's pretty much it. The Situation is a lot better then the Wii U.

Also there's more then 2 games worth it for the Switch right now. Sure they're not exclusive, but neither was any of the PS4's Best Games during it's first 2 months "exclusive" either.

I think the first game PS4 owners got really excited about was Infamous Second Son and that was like 4 months after launch.

No third party support is the main issue with nintendo, ps4 had that.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 sHaDyCuBe321

@putaspongeon said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Killzone Shadow Fall

Knack

PS4 Release Date - 11/15/2013

Infamous Second Son Release Date - 3/21/14

# of days between the two - 126 Days

Switch Release Date - 3/3/17

Splatoon 2 Release Date - 7/21/17

# of days between the two - 140 Days

Roughly the same amount of time give or take 2 weeks. So 20 weeks away from the release of each console this is their lineup:

PS4

Knack

Killzone

Infamous 2nd Son

Switch

Zelda

MK8 Deluxe

Arms

Splatoon 2

If you want to argue about 3rd party support that's fine. Let's be real and remeber that 5 months into the lifespan of the PS4 absolutely no one had a reason to jump ship if 3rd party is what you were looking for. PS3/PS4 cross gen releases were a thing for a VERY long time.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 sHaDyCuBe321

@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

3rd party that could be found on PS3 or 360 that the majority of the current PS4 owners already had. The PS4 wasn't really worth purchasing until March 24th 2015, the day Bloodborne came out.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 PutASpongeOn

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

3rd party that could be found on PS3 or 360 that the majority of the current PS4 owners already had. The PS4 wasn't really worth purchasing until March 24th 2015, the day Bloodborne came out.

That played better on the ps4.

There were PLENTY of great games before march 2015 on ps4.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 PutASpongeOn

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

PS4 Release Date - 11/15/2013

Infamous Second Son Release Date - 3/21/14

# of days between the two - 126 Days

Switch Release Date - 3/3/17

Splatoon 2 Release Date - 7/21/17

# of days between the two - 140 Days

Roughly the same amount of time give or take 2 weeks. So 20 weeks away from the release of each console this is their lineup:

PS4

Knack

Killzone

Infamous 2nd Son

Switch

Zelda

MK8 Deluxe

Arms

Splatoon 2

If you want to argue about 3rd party support that's fine. Let's be real and remeber that 5 months into the lifespan of the PS4 absolutely no one had a reason to jump ship if 3rd party is what you were looking for. PS3/PS4 cross gen releases were a thing for a VERY long time.

But the switch doesn't have 3rd party support. Also you missed some big ps4 games like resogun. Also you could play games on much superior settings on ps4 than 360/ps3.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#138 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: the wiiu May have had a bigger line up at launch but after launch what did it have 2015 I believe was it's best year when dkc etc started showing up but then 2016 happened. Hell where is Mario party 11 I read that was supposed to have come to wiiu but ya all the launch games also consisted of ports late port's missing features

And it didn't help when Ubisoft promised Rayman legend was a exclusive then turn around make sure they delayed it and made it multiplat and zombi u end up being timed exclusive

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 soul_starter

@ArchoNils2: oh wow, snipper clips!!!! Let's be real here, apart from indy style games, there is nothing there outside of Mario. XB 2 might be pretty good but thats a grand total of 3 actual games...or 4 counting MK8. Yet 2 of the 4 are available on Wii U lol

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 LegatoSkyheart

@sHaDyCuBe321: I remember PS4 players here flipping their nuts over Resogun.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 ArchoNils2

@soul_starter: Ok. Name me all the games you consider good in the first year of the Ps4 and the xOne? Do you get to more than 4 games? And we're only 2 months in, who konws what they'll show at E3 or in upcomming NintendoDirects?

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 soul_starter

@ArchoNils2: You are under the illusion, no matter how kiddy and cheap the games look, they will be good if not great yet you havent even played them. The only two games that we know of are MK 8 and Zelda but both are available on the Wii U. That is the point I'm making. I am also making the point on the historical basis of the Wii and the WiiU that after a successful initial launch, there will not be much on offer apart from..yesy ou guessed it, kiddy games, rehased Nintendo titles.

We can already see there is no 3rd party support, or very little 3rd party support.

You are also under the impression that I blindly back up the PS4 or XB1, which I do not. Go back to my posts 18 to 24 months ago and see what I had t osay about those consoles, the PS4 in particular. Thing is, I always knew 1st party and 3rd party support would eventually create a great library and it has. For 10+ years, that is not the track record that Nintendo has with its home consoles.

But you go ahead blindly suporting a product that takes money from you and gives very little back. It does not concern me. I simply stated the facts that are very obvious to an unbiased observer.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ArchoNils2

@soul_starter: "I declare my opinion as fact because I think I'm unbiased" is pretty much your single rgument in this entire post. Yet critics disagree with you. There are several great scoring games on the Wii and WiiU. Sure, "kiddy" games might not be for you, but most people (according to MC) see it different. Nintendo tends to have the strongest or at least one of the strongest first party lineups. Sure, they lack with 3rd party content, but I just don't care about that. Since MK 8 released, I played it everyday in my breaks with co-workes. There are about 5 people rotating to play the game in local co-op and we're having fun. What's wrong with that?

And again, we are 2 months in. Every library ever looked small 2 months in. What do you expect? A new system to release with 100 exclusive titles?

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 soul_starter

@ArchoNils2: You once again fail to reply to a single point I made and you are letting your fanboy tendencies for Nintendo get in the way of reality.

If you want to start claiming non AAA titles, kiddy or otherwise and great additions to the line up (many of hwich you haven't even played) then fine but the PS4 comes with an even larger library of very ismilar and in many cases, just as good if not better games by indie developers that have had mass critical acclaim. So the PS4 which you kept bring up, has the Switch beat on both fronts.

Now the argument of only being released for a short period of time would be valid if not for (I can't believe I am repeating this) Nintendo's absolutely poor track record of providing its consoles with 1st or 3rd party AAA titles over an extended period of time. Why do you think thet would change now?

Ofc it could change but for a console that is expensive and underpowered on launch with games £15 over the asking price for the PS4/XB1 or £20+ over the asking price of many PC games, this is not something to laud.

Now, if you are perfectly fine with playing the same game over and over again, then great. Like I said, it's not up to me to change your opinion, nor do I want to but my original post was pretty simple to understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@soul_starter said:

no matter how kiddy and cheap the games look

lol

@soul_starter said:

I simply stated the facts that are very obvious to an unbiased observer.

LOL

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 ArchoNils2

@soul_starter said:

@ArchoNils2: You once again fail to reply to a single point I made and you are letting your fanboy tendencies for Nintendo get in the way of reality.

You pretty much failed with this statement. How exactly am I a Nintendo fanboy? Sure I love my Nintendo products and I think the Switch is fantastic. But I also own every other system. My PSN Level ist 32 and I play a lot on PC as well, just check out my Steam profile. The only system I barely play is my xOne, which is collecting dust since Halo 5. I also play on mobiles. I literally play everything on everything.

@soul_starter said:

@ArchoNils2: If you want to start claiming non AAA titles, kiddy or otherwise and great additions to the line up (many of hwich you haven't even played) then fine but the PS4 comes with an even larger library of very ismilar and in many cases, just as good if not better games by indie developers that have had mass critical acclaim. So the PS4 which you kept bring up, has the Switch beat on both fronts.

Well the games that aren't released, sure, I haven't played them. However, I the ones that did release and are listed in my post are games I own. Feel free to tell anyone to add me on Switch and they can check out my profile and they'll see I do own them. You really shouldn't target me personally, I have tons of money to burn and buy everything that looks nice. My Ps4 collection is huge, several 100 games big. Check my PSN account I linked above. I know what the PS4 offers. However, the lineup was just as weak at launch. I even bought Putty squad in hopes of finding something to kill time with on my new system back then.

@soul_starter said:

@ArchoNils2: Now the argument of only being released for a short period of time would be valid if not for (I can't believe I am repeating this) Nintendo's absolutely poor track record of providing its consoles with 1st or 3rd party AAA titles over an extended period of time. Why do you think thet would change now?

While I do agree when it comes to 3rd party, saying the same about first party is just insane. Again, list the actual first party exclusives of the PS4 and xOne in the first year. The lists are really tiny. I never argued about 3rd party, I do know they are weakly represented on Nintendo systems. But hey, assuming your claim is right, the reason why it would "change" now is that Nintendo can combine their console and handheld studios. The 3DS had a stream of quality exclusives and chances are, they move to the Switch with time.

@soul_starter said:

@ArchoNils2: Ofc it could change but for a console that is expensive and underpowered on launch with games £15 over the asking price for the PS4/XB1 or £20+ over the asking price of many PC games, this is not something to laud.

To be fair, compared with PCs, every system is underpowered. Also, talking about the power of a handheld is just weird. It is much stronger than the 3DS and the Vita and it keeps up pretty good in docked mode. BotW, a launch titles that started on the WiiU, looks really good on a screen. Sure, nowhere near 1080Ti 4k level, but close enough to the Ps4 and xOne to not be much of a deal. Can't really talk about prices though, here in Switzerland Switch games are on the same price as Ps4 games, around 70 CHF. That's perfectly fine for me, especially since they come on fast cardriges that avoid installs. Also the ytaste nice :P

@soul_starter said:

@ArchoNils2: Now, if you are perfectly fine with playing the same game over and over again, then great. Like I said, it's not up to me to change your opinion, nor do I want to but my original post was pretty simple to understand.

Well I own 1000s of games (again, check my profiles). And yes, I do play some Nintendo games like Mario Kart 8 over and over gain ... locally with friends. It's just antastic tot ake the system with me and play the best Kart racer out there with everyone. Everyone loves the game. Sure I also play some Alienation from time to time with a friend or whatever. But nothing comes close to what Nintendo offers in local co-op.

Oh and no, your "original post" wasn't clear at all. I quote it:

@soul_starter said:

Maybe you forgot, but you actually reacted on my post...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@brah4ever:

Have at it bro.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

Eh, Sheeple, what ya gonna do. :P

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#149 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Eh, Sheeple, what ya gonna do. :P

Good one............lololololol

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#150 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Im so surprised when i see people that used to bash PS4s ports and remasters so hard , now they praising the very same thing x100 times than cows did for PS4 ports like Last of us etc ...

How things are changing right ? Lets see whats next. System wars becoming entertaining once again