Switch near 20 million sold Globally via Finance Report

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-financial-results-three-months-ended-june-30-2018-switch-at-19-67-million-units-total/

– Switch hardware total: 19.67 million

– Switch software total: 86.93 million

– 3DS hardware total: 72.89 million

– 3DS software total: 367.84 million

– Wii U hardware total: 13.56 million

– Wii U software total: 102.28 million

During the first quarter of this period (April through June 2018), for Nintendo Switch, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was released in May and became popular, selling 1.40 million units worldwide. Mario Tennis Aces, released in June, is also off to a good start, with 1.38 million units sold. We also released Nintendo Labo in April as an offering of new ways to play that gained a lot of attention globally, and was very well received by consumers who purchased it. Sales of Nintendo Labo series overall reached 1.39 million units. Additionally, sales of popular titles released during the previous fiscal year, and of titles released by other software publishers are showing steady growth. As a result, hardware and software sales came to 1.88 million units (4.4% decrease on a year-on-year basis), and 17.96 million units (120.8% increase on a year-on-year basis) respectively. Hardware sales of Nintendo 3DS, now in its 8th year since launch, reached 0.36 million units sold (61.9% decrease on a year-on-year basis), while 2.95 million software units were sold (49.6% decrease on a year-on-year basis). We also re-launched the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition in June, and recorded sales of 1.26 million units.

Turning to our digital business for dedicated video game platforms, sales of downloadable versions of packaged software and add-on content for Nintendo Switch showed especially good growth, bringing digital sales to 18.5 billion yen (68.0% increase on a year-on-year basis).

In our smart-device business, consumers are continuing to enjoy currently available titles like Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Smart devices and IP related income reached 9.0 billion yen (0.4% increase on a year-on-year basis).

Total sales reached 168.1 billion yen (of which overseas sales were 128.7 billion yen or 76.6% of the total sales). Operating profit came to 30.5 billion yen, ordinary profit was 43.8 billion yen, and profit attributable to owners of parent totaled 30.6 billion yen.

For Nintendo Switch, hardware sales in every region have been trending upwards since the video game expo, E3, was held in the US in June. In parallel with an increase in digital sales, software sales also have been moving in good shape towards the holiday season.

Between this summer and the end of the year, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will be released in July, followed by Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit as the third Nintendo Labo product in September and Super Mario Party in October. The latest series titles, Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! will be released in November, and then Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be released in December. We also expect to release several key titles from other software publishers as we continue to offer attractive titles that are filled with variety. In September, we plan to launch Nintendo Switch Online, our paid service that expands online functionality for Nintendo Switch. Through all of these efforts, we are working to further accelerate the already great momentum of

Nintendo Switch.

For Nintendo 3DS, we will continue to leverage the platform’s rich software library and its hardware install base to further expand sales of evergreen titles.

For the smart-device business, we plan to release a new original game application titled Dragalia Lost this summer, as well as our Mario Kart application for smart devices, Mario Kart Tour, by the end of this fiscal year. As we introduce these new game applications, we will also focus on continued operations for applications that have already been released so that consumers can enjoy playing them for a long time.

There is no revision to the financial forecast for this period originally published on April 26, 2018

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

LOL labo at 1.4m sold. These ninty suckers buy everything.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Congrats to Nintendo. Very good numbers from them. At this rate they'll be overtaking the Flopbone by next year for sure.

I expect Pokemon and Smash to move a lot of consoles this holiday.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Hardware sales are down yoy and they were nearly doubled by PS4 in the same quarter.

Software sales are pretty insane though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts

Software sales are crazy good for it. Things should pick up again at the end of the year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Jebus I know the Wii U has some years out but even those software sales seem surprising. Also Labo ftw.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Software sales are crazy good for it. Things should pick up again at the end of the year.

They'll get a holiday sales boost like everything gets but there isn't a huge number of people out there waiting for Smash to come out before buying a Switch that didn't already buy one for MK/Odyssey/BOTW. They all sell to the same exact people.

I think the HW decline is real.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

They'll get a holiday sales boost like everything gets but there isn't a huge number of people out there waiting for Smash to come out before buying a Switch that didn't already buy one for MK/Odyssey/BOTW. They all sell to the same exact people.

wait....

anyway, christmas time is nintendo time. Switch will win nov and dec npd for sure.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

wait....

anyway, christmas time is nintendo time. Switch will win nov and dec npd for sure.

That's not a real Pokemon RPG. Just a dumbed down glorified port of Pokemon Go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

wait....

Is that a bad thing? Go has been downloaded 100 million times and has generated over $250 million.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

wait....

No matter what it is, people will still buy it if it has Pokemon on it. That's not me defending that game, it's just the way it is.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanDrakeSwag
@boycie said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

wait....

Is that a bad thing? Go has been downloaded 100 million times and has generated over $250 million.

Free to play vs $60. Big difference.

It's also easy to get people to spend money on free to play games once they are hooked on it. See Fortnite.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

wait....

No matter what it is, people will still buy it if it has Pokemon on it. That's not me defending that game, it's just the way it is.

No doubt but I don't think it will sell as much as a traditional Pokemon RPG would.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: I agree.

Hardcore Pokemon fans will be a bit reluctant about it, and casual Pokemon Go players probably won't buy a console and the game just to play it.

Still, it'll probably move a few million copies.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: I agree.

Hardcore Pokemon fans will be a bit reluctant about it, and casual Pokemon Go players probably won't buy a console and the game just to play it.

Still, it'll probably move a few million copies.

a few?

prepare yourself

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@sakaixx: u mad

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide

Yup, nintendo flopped. If only they had catered to youtubers like angry joe!! Maybe then they would have had a chance to sell because of all that “free pr.” Nintendo, you blew it, you blew it all up. God damn you. God damn you all to hell .

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bread_or_Decide

Also, Labo ftw. Not bad for a new Nintendo IP.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56123 Posts

Kudos to Nintendo Switch and when SSB Ultimate & the real Pokemon game releases next year, we will all see twice the Switch sales!

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide

@davillain-: I could see the switch selling 100 million.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@davillain-: I could see the switch selling 100 million.

As long as Nintendo continues releasing more and more exclusive Switch games, I can see it hitting $100 million over it's lifespan.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44080 Posts

Just proves it was wise of Nintendo to abandon the console biz and just go mobile, they've always done well in that market. :P

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Lol what a retarded post.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44199 Posts

Pretty impressive numbers all around and nice to see. Kudos to Nintendo. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and the two Pokémon games will definitely move a lot of systems and put up some very large numbers as well.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@sakaixx: I would have thought a big Switch fan like yourself would appreciate how ultra realistic the Labo graphics are

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

@xantufrog: if only the switch screen I am looking at is equally good.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#27 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@quadknight said:

Congrats to Nintendo. Very good numbers from them. At this rate they'll be overtaking the Flopbone by next year for sure.

I expect Pokemon and Smash to move a lot of consoles this holiday.

Yep. I could see Switch hitting 30 million by next March then passing Xbone by 2020. Who knows though since MS is too scared to release sales numbers.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:

Just proves it was wise of Nintendo to abandon the console biz and just go mobile, they've always done well in that market. :P

Not only wise, brilliant move.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
@Juub1990 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

You're retarded if you believe the Smash Bros audience doesn't overlap with Mario Kart, Mario, and Zelda.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1861 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@KBFloYd said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

wait....

No doubt but I don't think it will sell as much as a traditional Pokemon RPG would.

Then you would be wrong... I actually think it'll sell MORE. Maybe not original Red and Blue levels, but higher than their usual average. Core Pokemon fans are going to buy it to tide them over until Pokemon 2019 comes out. Then some of the Go audience will jump on it. Obviously not all or even half (no one is expecting 400/800 million people to buy a Switch), but even a fraction of that is a good number.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1861 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yup, nintendo flopped. If only they had catered to youtubers like angry joe!! Maybe then they would have had a chance to sell because of all that “free pr.” Nintendo, you blew it, you blew it all up. God damn you. God damn you all to hell .

Check out some of the games that are selling. Labo, 1 2 Switch, and Arms. Hardcore Nintendo fans like to pretend that they're the driving force behind the Switch, and that was true at the beginning, but it's clear that the casuals have latched on and they'll be responsible for pushing hardware sales from here on out.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Other than Zelda, what else is worth buying a switch for that aren’t wii u ports? Honestly

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

Other than Zelda, what else is worth buying a switch for that aren’t wii u ports? Honestly

You can play....Skyrim

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

1. Xeno 2
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Octopath Traveler
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Mario and Rabbids

There are also a multitude of great multiplats on the system, which is nice if you play on the go:

1. Skyrim
  2. Celeste
  3. Doom
  4. Stardew Valley
  5. Fortnite
  6. Rocket League
  7. Sonic Mania

So much more.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide

@luxuryheart said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Check out some of the games that are selling. Labo, 1 2 Switch, and Arms. Hardcore Nintendo fans like to pretend that they're the driving force behind the Switch, and that was true at the beginning, but it's clear that the casuals have latched on and they'll be responsible for pushing hardware sales from here on out.

Yeah but this is true for all consoles. The majority of PS4 owners use it for Madden, Fifa, and Netflix. Casuals are king. Can't sell big numbers without them.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bread_or_Decide

@pdogg93 said:

You're not even trying bruh.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Juub1990 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

You're retarded if you believe the Smash Bros audience doesn't overlap with Mario Kart, Mario, and Zelda.

Nintendo hater thinks software decline is real.

Shocker.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Switch is awesome at selling games. Xenoblade 2 sold 1.31 Million becoming the best Monolith Soft has ever sold.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pdogg93

@lundy86_4: super mario might interest me, but the rest of the games don’t interest me in the slightest. I’m a 35 year old man, maybe the switch is targeted more for kiddies?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pdogg93

@Bread_or_Decide: I dunno man. There aren’t really any system sellers other than your usual mario, Zelda. For me anyway

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator

@pdogg93 said:

@lundy86_4: super mario might interest me, but the rest of the games don’t interest me in the slightest. I’m a 35 year old man, maybe the switch is targeted more for kiddies?

I'm in my early 30's and Switch to me isn't trying to be all kidding gaming. It's all about having fun. Never underestimate Nintendo games, no matter how kiddie they may seem.

Different strokes for different folks I supposed.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

Other than Bloodborne what is there to buy a PS4 for?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

This 'other than Zelda and Mario' crap is the most boring shit you can read on the internet.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:
@pdogg93 said:

Really? Don't sink to other people's levels, you know there are loads.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@pdogg93 said:

Awh cmon man, hes exactly the kind that would of fallen for the setup.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

@pdogg93: I'm 31 and i'm doing just fine with the Switch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Random_Matt said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@pdogg93 said:

PC+PS4=best combo. I mean, come on, who would not think this is the best combo here?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-642321fb121ca
@davillain- said:
@Random_Matt said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@pdogg93 said:

PC+PS4=best combo. I mean, come on, who would not think this is the best combo here?

One's who think PC/PS4/Switch, that ultimately covers every game releases.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pdogg93

@Random_Matt: do you seriously have time to play all those systems?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-642321fb121ca
@pdogg93 said:

@Random_Matt: do you seriously have time to play all those systems?

Of course not, I only have PC at the moment. Sure plenty of people have them all though.