Super Mario Galaxy's "good" graphics are an optical illusion.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meh___Guy
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
Well maybe not optical illusion but its not that great. I bought the game yesterday (loving it). I noticed today though that the graphics are not that advanced for a Wii game. First of all if you zoom to a first person view and look at the objects, they look really really bad.. some of them look like they were from a Ps1 game. Really its all just bright colors and everything is far away so you can't see the pixel mess. Some of the character models are excellent but this game is not that ground breaking. Also the metal effects and etc are nothing.. its easy to make realistic water and metal in video games. I know some gamecube games that did it very well and better (when it comes to water) Anyways... yeah..
drekula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 drekula
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
Who cares? I still like it.
Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts

Did I hear conspiracy?

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
who cares? that game is seriously awesome no matter what
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
I don't really see your point..
WhipHappyRival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WhipHappyRival
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It doesn't really matter, Galaxy is still an awesome game. Playing it and love it.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
So what you're saying is that it isn't a graphical triumph technically as much as stylistically. A good observation, but ... sorry, I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is pushing a whole lot at once. Think about the draw distance of each level and the lighting + texture work put into each environment. Nintendo of Japan did a fantastic job choosing what elements of the game need to look good in order to provide a visually stunning game.

Stop nit-picking and look at the sheer genius behind their "optical illusion".

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

It's hard to make realistic water in movies.

But it's easy to do them on videogames?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!!

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

what did you expect?

the psp has more ram then the wii

Wiicraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wiicraft
Member since 2007 • 652 Posts

All graphics in all videogames are an optical illusion.

I don't see a problem here.

edward2332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edward2332
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts

I agree. Twice as powerful my ***. Gamecube games look just as good as any Wii game. I remember when a friend brought his Gamecube Metriod Prime and we played it on my Wii and I couldn't believe how the graphics blew away my Wii games. Then there was the whole Mario Sunshine vs Galaxy graphics comparison...and honestly...Galaxy MIGHT have looked better...I couldn't really tell.

Obviously, the main focus of the Wii is not the graphics, but I think Nintendo was BSing when they said it was twice as powerful as the Gamecube. I wonder if the extra "horsepower" is necessary to compute the complex controls, take away from whatever additional graphics power it might have. I mean there has got to be a reason why not a single Wii game has blown away any given Gamecube title.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
Visual tricks or not. the game still looks amazing.
BlackBaron11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlackBaron11
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts

SMG is a great looking game. I am surprised about how good they made it look considering the Wii's specs.

Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
Textures look like a PS1 game? Hope you're exaggerating.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sexy_chimp

I agree. Twice as powerful my ***. Gamecube games look just as good as any Wii game. I remember when a friend brought his Gamecube Metriod Prime and we played it on my Wii and I couldn't believe how the graphics blew away my Wii games. Then there was the whole Mario Sunshine vs Galaxy graphics comparison...and honestly...Galaxy MIGHT have looked better...I couldn't really tell.

Obviously, the main focus of the Wii is not the graphics, but I think Nintendo was BSing when they said it was twice as powerful as the Gamecube. I wonder if the extra "horsepower" is necessary to compute the complex controls, take away from whatever additional graphics power it might have. I mean there has got to be a reason why not a single Wii game has blown away any given Gamecube title.

edward2332

*Posts a picture of glasses*

Avatar image for Apathetic-Irony
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Apathetic-Irony
Member since 2006 • 1391 Posts

Well maybe not optical illusion but its not that great. I bought the game yesterday (loving it). I noticed today though that the graphics are not that advanced for a Wii game. First of all if you zoom to a first person view and look at the objects, they look really really bad.. some of them look like they were from a Ps1 game. Really its all just bright colors and everything is far away so you can't see the pixel mess. Some of the character models are excellent but this game is not that ground breaking. Also the metal effects and etc are nothing.. its easy to make realistic water and metal in video games. I know some gamecube games that did it very well and better (when it comes to water) Anyways... yeah.. Meh___Guy

I don't see why this warrents a thread. The Wii is well known for having the worst graphics capabilities out of the big 3, barely surpassing the XBOX and Gamecube. Everybody knows Galaxy is style > technical -- they emphisized the right things to give it a bright and appealing, well rounded look. Anybody who thinks otherwise is off their rocker.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meh___Guy
Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.sexy_chimp
I don't know about that. When you are like racing game distance from the ground the texture looks really bad. You barley have to zoom in at all. On Metroid 3 you are at a closer distance to the texture than Galaxy.
edward2332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 edward2332
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts
[QUOTE="edward2332"]

sexy_chimp

Whatever dude. Obviously your glasses are rose colored. Galaxy is a great looking game artisticly. But in a pure graphics sense, it's not much, if at all, better than Sunshine. It's not even like the Wii is somewhere inthe middle ofthe GC and the 360/PS3 powerwise. It's more like if the GC wasa 1 and the 360/PS3 were a 10, the Wii would be a 2.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts

I've played Galaxy, and the graphics are tremendously overrated, even for a Wii game. It doesn't look nearly as sharp as the pre-release screens.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sexy_chimp

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.Meh___Guy
I don't know about that. When you are like racing game distance from the ground the texture looks really bad. You barley have to zoom in at all. On Metroid 3 you are at a closer distance to the texture than Galaxy.

Run straight up to a wall in each game then zoom in. I can tell you that the textures in SMG look better.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Meh___Guy
Textures look like a PS1 game? Hope you're exaggerating.Ramadear
No i'm not.. I mean sometimes the texture is better but if you like zoom in on a bench or a sign it looks awful.
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Apathetic-Irony

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.Meh___Guy

This is true. It's very difficult to get close to textures in Galaxy due to the bleh camera. In Metroid you have no problem getting within inches from an object to view the texture.

Which has better textures? I have no idea -- I've never played MP3.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sexy_chimp
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"][QUOTE="edward2332"]

edward2332

Whatever dude. Obviously your glasses are rose colored. Galaxy is a great looking game artisticly. But in a pure graphics sense, it's not much, if at all, better than Sunshine. It's not even like the Wii is somewhere inthe middle ofthe GC and the 360/PS3 powerwise. It's more like if the GC wasa 1 and the 360/PS3 were a 10, the Wii would be a 2.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Meh___Guy

[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.sexy_chimp

Run straight up to a wall in each game then zoom in. I can tell you that the textures in SMG look better.

No really.. if you are in first person in SMG it looks really bad, but if your in first person in MP3 is looks fine.
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts
[QUOTE="edward2332"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"][QUOTE="edward2332"]

sexy_chimp

Your argument isn't very compelling so far. Other than some slightly sharper textures, Galaxy looks identical to a good looking GC game, and certainy not better than some of the Xbox's best.

Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Apathetic-Irony
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.Meh___Guy

No really.. if you are in first person in SMG it looks really bad, but if your in first person in MP3 is looks fine.

You can go into FPV in Galaxy?!! How??

C moves the camera behind Mario (in most cases, sometimes it just flips you off and laughs at you), Z makes Mario crouch. B shoots bits and A is jump. Is it the 1 or 2 that does this magical feet?

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

I've been saying this forever, glad that someone else has seen it.

Though the TC is wrong, it isn't bright colors that make it look good, it's just because your zoomed in that the pixels come together and actually make the textures and have them more detailed. For some reason the TC doesn't get the fact that this is how it is for every game. Have you every zoomed in on the walls or dirt in Half-Life 2? It's just a bunch of pixels close up, however when looking at it regularly it looks very realistic, that's what Super Mario Galaxy does. Super Mario Galaxy in no way pushes the Wii's graphics in terms of textures. It's just phenomenal and innovative texture design on Nintendo's part to make it seem so much better. It's amazing what talented developers can do. :)

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sexy_chimp
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"][QUOTE="edward2332"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"][QUOTE="edward2332"]

Gamer556

Your argument isn't very compelling so far. Other than some slightly sharper textures, Galaxy looks identical to a good looking GC game, and certainy not better than some of the Xbox's best.

*Posts a link to a Sunshine vs. Galaxy comparison*

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sexy_chimp
[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Zoom in on a wall in Metroid Prime 3 then do it in Galaxy. Galaxy's textures are WAY better.Apathetic-Irony

You can go into FPV in Galaxy?!! How??

C moves the camera behind Mario (in most cases, sometimes it just flips you off and laughs at you), Z makes Mario crouch. B shoots bits and A is jump. Is it the 1 or 2 that does this magical feet?

Up on the D-pad...But it doesn't work in a lot of places.

xblane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 xblane
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts

Hmmm... Im just looking forward to getting a copy of the game... :s

Graphics arn't exactly my first concern when it comes to a Mario game....

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

[QUOTE="Ramadear"]Textures look like a PS1 game? Hope you're exaggerating.Meh___Guy
No i'm not.. I mean sometimes the texture is better but if you like zoom in on a bench or a sign it looks awful.

Have you seen PS1 textures?

Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Apathetic-Irony
[QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

sexy_chimp

*Posts an image of a 404 error.*

*Posts an image of glasses.*

EDIT: Remove the 's' at the end of the url (it reads HTMLS, it should read HTML).

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
becasue we all know that mario's complex art design requires some of the most advanced textures amirite?
Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Meh___Guy

[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="Ramadear"]Textures look like a PS1 game? Hope you're exaggerating.Devil-Itachi

Have you seen PS1 textures?

Yes.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sexy_chimp
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"][QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

Apathetic-Irony

*Posts an image of a 404 error.*

*Posts an image of glasses.*

EDIT: Remove the 's' at the end of the url (it reads HTMLS, it should read HTML).

*Fixes link*

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kansasdude2009

Wow people. Does this look good?

How About This?

I am incredibly happy with what Nintendo of Japan accomplished with Super Mario Galaxy. Stop this rubbish and go play the game; it looks fantastic!
Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
I was hoping this thread would be an optical illusion but I was wrong.
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Apathetic-Irony
After watching the comparison, I can honestly state Galaxy's graphics are not a big improvement over Sunshine. What IS a HUGE improvement is style, mood, and setting. And to be honest, it felt really bias in favor of Galaxy. It reminded me of those commercials where they go "Tired of your regular dessert?" in black and white with everybody sleeping at the table, then go "THEN TRY THIS MEGA ULTRA DELIC DESSERT!" in bright and vibrant colors, with everybody throwing a party.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sexy_chimp

After watching the comparison, I can honestly state Galaxy's graphics are not a big improvement over Sunshine. What IS a HUGE improvement is style, mood, and setting. And to be honest, it felt really bias in favor of Galaxy. It reminded me of those commercials where they go "Tired of your regular dessert?" in black and white with everybody sleeping at the table, then go "THEN TRY THIS MEGA ULTRA DELIC DESSERT!" in bright and vibrant colors, with everybody throwing a party.Apathetic-Irony

How is it biased? They mainly show Mario doing the same exact thing in each game.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
the Bonefin fight looked friggin amazing
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

Oh for heaven's sake, who cares? It's a Mario Wii game. I think the graphics are devilishly simple up close but awesomely artistic and detailed from afar. Just look at Bowser!

But then again, what would I know, I just play SMG for fun.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Meh___Guy

How About This?

I am incredibly happy with what Nintendo of Japan accomplished with Super Mario Galaxy. Stop this rubbish and go play the game; it looks fantastic!kansasdude2009
The last pic looks awful.. at first I thought the top pic was SMG and the bottom one was Sunshine. SMG has its moments.. like the bee looked really nice up close. I mean the big bee while you crawl around her and she says "that tickles" (or something like that while your are on her no no parts :D
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Apathetic-Irony

[QUOTE="Apathetic-Irony"]After watching the comparison, I can honestly state Galaxy's graphics are not a big improvement over Sunshine. What IS a HUGE improvement is style, mood, and setting. And to be honest, it felt really bias in favor of Galaxy. It reminded me of those commercials where they go "Tired of your regular dessert?" in black and white with everybody sleeping at the table, then go "THEN TRY THIS MEGA ULTRA DELIC DESSERT!" in bright and vibrant colors, with everybody throwing a party.sexy_chimp

How is it biased? They mainly show Mario doing the same exact thing in each game.

I was stating how it felt, and used an example everybody is familier with to express the vibe the video gave off. Either way, I've already expressed my views on the title, but I'll summarize them:

• Galaxy's graphics are not a large improvement over Sunshine, from a technical perspective.
  • The mood, setting, and style is a huge improvement. Lighting is much better for the tone, and the game has a certain ambience from the combination of lighting and the stary sky.
  • Mario has very appealing graphics. Nintendo did an amazing job with them, knowing what to emphasize to give the best overall visual experience.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]

How About This?

I am incredibly happy with what Nintendo of Japan accomplished with Super Mario Galaxy. Stop this rubbish and go play the game; it looks fantastic!Meh___Guy

The last pic looks awful.. at first I thought the top pic was SMG and the bottom one was Sunshine. SMG has its moments.. like the bee looked really nice up close. I mean the big bee while you crawl around her and she says "that tickles" (or something like that while your are on her no no parts :D

*sigh*

so you have not played Galaxy? You need to see the second picture in motion. Mushroom Kingdom looks drop-dead gorgeous!

Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Apathetic-Irony
[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]

How About This?

I am incredibly happy with what Nintendo of Japan accomplished with Super Mario Galaxy. Stop this rubbish and go play the game; it looks fantastic!kansasdude2009

*sigh*

so you have not played Galaxy? You need to see the second picture in motion. Mushroom Kingdom looks drop-dead gorgeous!

I wouldn't say 'drop-dead gorgeous', but it did look very good.

Meh___Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Meh___Guy
[QUOTE="Meh___Guy"][QUOTE="kansasdude2009"]

How About This?

*sigh*

I own and play the game. Mushroom kingdom looked really bad. (if it looks the same as the first level)
Wiicraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wiicraft
Member since 2007 • 652 Posts
The most obvious difference I could see in the video between Sunshine and Galaxy, is that Galaxy uses bump mapping liberally, while I didn't spot any in the Sunshine scenes. The difference is that Sunshine ends up looking very flat and bland in comparison.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"] [QUOTE="Apathetic-Irony"]After watching the comparison, I can honestly state Galaxy's graphics are not a big improvement over Sunshine. What IS a HUGE improvement is style, mood, and setting. And to be honest, it felt really bias in favor of Galaxy. It reminded me of those commercials where they go "Tired of your regular dessert?" in black and white with everybody sleeping at the table, then go "THEN TRY THIS MEGA ULTRA DELIC DESSERT!" in bright and vibrant colors, with everybody throwing a party.Apathetic-Irony

I was stating how it felt, and used an example everybody is familier with to express the vibe the video gave off. Either way, I've already expressed my views on the title, but I'll summarize them:

• Galaxy's graphics are not a large improvement over Sunshine, from a technical perspective.
  • The mood, setting, and style is a huge improvement. Lighting is much better for the tone, and the game has a certain ambience from the combination of lighting and the stary sky.
  • Mario has very appealing graphics. Nintendo did an amazing job with them, knowing what to emphasize to give the best overall visual experience.

Those are not your views - those are facts.